Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Designing a new dash need a few ideas (Page 24)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
Previous Page | Next Page
Designing a new dash need a few ideas by OH10fiero
Started on: 11-01-2002 11:37 AM
Replies: 1031
Last post by: IMSA GT on 09-20-2010 01:12 PM
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...just a slight derail...

Finally got around to hooking up the lights in the door handle bezel - it shines a red light down onto the door handle controls (since the Fiebird switch are not backlit themselves), not as bright as I hoped for, but they are done...

The best I could get for a picture with my camera...

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 08-17-2007).]

IP: Logged
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
A little better...

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:

A little better...

Are you using the stock light in the stock hole? I don't remember them being that bright in the firebird. And they are certainly not bright in my car when I just shoved a a random light in the hole. I have the stock lights now and I haven't got around to hooking them up.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Back to the question of what clusters would work in a Fiero. I did some research and came upon a list of Clusters I know WON'T work in a Fiero. These are all serial bus clusters and are not going to work without some serious hacking. Please avoid these unless you are a electrical genius...

1986GTV8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
A quick question if I may.

Is the ECM from the Fiero an ablsoute must? I am doing a V8 install & do not need the ECM with my carb so I was going to eliminate it.

Will I need it for the Fierbird speedo to work?

John
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986GTV8:

A quick question if I may.

Is the ECM from the Fiero an ablsoute must? I am doing a V8 install & do not need the ECM with my carb so I was going to eliminate it.

John

I need more info...

It depends on your engine and transmission. A carbed V8 probably has a distributor? That can drive the tach. Your transmission is a Fiero transmission? If so then the Firebird speedometer is going to need a speed buffer. You don't need the ECM, since the speed buffer is in the Fiero speedometer.

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2007 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Are you using the stock light in the stock hole? I don't remember them being that bright in the firebird. And they are certainly not bright in my car when I just shoved a a random light in the hole. I have the stock lights now and I haven't got around to hooking them up.

Using the stock bulb, not very bright - had to leave the shutter open a fairly long time to get that picture...

John

No, the ECM does not supply the speedo signal. ALSO note, you will have to do my tach mod as well (posted someplace earlier in this thread), the Firebird tach does not play nice with HEI distributors...

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 08-18-2007).]

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the ECM info. I was reaading the quote below in the middle of page 22 which made me beleive that I needed the ECM on my Chevy 350 carbed enginge with a manual 4spd. Please see below.

“It's true the Fiero VSS is a 4,000 Pulse Per Mile generator, but it is a sine wave, (or even triangular wave) that increases in amplitude with speed. At low speeds your speedometer is going to be very erratic. The buffer circuit in the Fiero Stock circuit buffers that wave into a square wave. It also has a divide by two circuits to send 2,000 PPM to the ECM and the Cruise control, (if you have it.). Without a VSS signal the Fiero ECM will set a code. I don't know about the 3.4, but I'm guessing it will as well.

So yes you can connect the VSS directly up to the Camaro/Firebird cluster but it's not going to work as well, if at all.”
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Thanks for the ECM info. I was reaading the quote below in the middle of page 22 which made me beleive that I needed the ECM on my Chevy 350 carbed enginge with a manual 4spd. Please see below.

“It's true the Fiero VSS is a 4,000 Pulse Per Mile generator, but it is a sine wave, (or even triangular wave) that increases in amplitude with speed. At low speeds your speedometer is going to be very erratic. The buffer circuit in the Fiero Stock circuit buffers that wave into a square wave. It also has a divide by two circuits to send 2,000 PPM to the ECM and the Cruise control, (if you have it.). Without a VSS signal the Fiero ECM will set a code. I don't know about the 3.4, but I'm guessing it will as well.

So yes you can connect the VSS directly up to the Camaro/Firebird cluster but it's not going to work as well, if at all.”

You don't need the ECM for the tach or speedometer signal. But all of what I said is still true for the Speedometer signal. Without a speed buffer you are going to have issues driving the Firebird speedometer. The speed buffer is in the Fiero speedometer, not in the ECM.

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post

Back to the question of what clusters would work in a Fiero. I did some research and came upon a list of Clusters I know WON'T work in a Fiero. These are all serial bus clusters and are not going to work without some serious hacking. Please avoid these unless you are a electrical genius...

Not a genious by any means, but if someone has a new-ish (serial data driven) cluster just lying around that they can't use for anything and wants to send it to me for experimenting, I'll make an attempt at getting it functional. If it works and the circuitry can be used with other clusters, I'll do it for free and consider it "R&D". 1 only though, don't want 50 people sending clusters for free work. LOL Prefer to try the later model Corvette cluster as I'll be working on that (hopefully) for someone at some point... If I can't get it working I'll send it back un-molested. Promise.
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2007 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Thanks jscott1, I think that I grasp the concept now.

I just gut my GT cluster & then follow your detailed directions & pics.

Fantastic!!!!!!!!

John
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2007 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Thanks jscott1, I think that I grasp the concept now.

I just gut my GT cluster & then follow your detailed directions & pics.

Fantastic!!!!!!!!

John

Don't forget you will have to gut the Fiero tach as well for the HEI system...
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Darn, I must have missed that in the post.

I thought that the HEI & the Firebird V8 tach were "plug & play".

So little time, sooooo much to learn...

What did I miss re: tach mod?

THANKS!
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Darn, I must have missed that in the post.

I thought that the HEI & the Firebird V8 tach were "plug & play".

So little time, sooooo much to learn...

What did I miss re: tach mod?

THANKS!

...tach mod here... //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-077220.html
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

Jonathan,

Once I moved the window switches to the doors, the hardest part for me was making the right side window work with two switches instead of just one. With your help, I was finally able to make it work. Did you post that diagram, yet?

Roy

Finally had a chance to make that drawing for the window switches, and adding the right side switch.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 09-23-2007).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
I haven't actually tried this, so proceed at your own risk, but if you want driver's side window express down, the F Body box is real simple to add. It's mounted up under the dash near the accelerator and only requires one wire to be cut. The boxes are still available new from GM if you are not a junkyard junkie.

I've got a bunch of little black boxes laying around, I will try it someday.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

ok, so how about some of the dash pictures and some info on the mirrors?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

ok, so how about some of the dash pictures and some info on the mirrors?

More info on Orville's dash located inside the "Choptop Chronicles."

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Madcurl >> thanks for the info - will have to check it out

------

anyways, I finally got around to installing the Firebird HVAC controls into my car (no AC) so that it actually works (yay):

Thanks to Nolan (Sourmug) for his ideal on mounting the cable motors ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/071501-13.html ), his thread renewed my interest in getting this going again.

So here is a short and quick update.
My bracket with the motors and arms mounted:

mounted and all hooked up - turns out the cable that operates the vent/foot door (green end) was too long and it would bind, so I cut the cable shorter and now it works just fine:

The temp control cable had to be Mickey Moused as the Firebird control rotates vs the Fiero's slider. The Firebird's cable was too short to reach the air box, so I just mergered the 2 cables together - hey it works, beats me pulling the dash all out to mount a motor, etc.

All together - still need to find a plug that will fit the rear defrost on the panel, it works, but it is just hooked up using spade connectors till I come across an actual plug - jscott1, can you help me out with one?? Yea I know - I need to do something about the radio mount now...

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 10-03-2007).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Madcurl >> thanks for the info - will have to check it out

------

anyways, I finally got around to installing the Firebird HVAC controls into my car (no AC) so that it actually works (yay):

Very clever, using two actuators to work the non-A/C system. I would like to see how you made that arm that interfaces with the actuator and the cable.

I am still trying to find time to build the one actuator version. I'll take a look for the defrost connector. I can't remember off the top of my head what it looks like, but I have about three hacked up firebird harnesses laying around. I must have one somewhere.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-03-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

I would like to see how you made that arm that interfaces with the actuator and the cable.

PM sent...
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
A "bump" to the top as I just can't stop reading this thread.

Wish that I actually had time to work on mine though.

Mind boggling what has transpired here!!

John
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

All together - still need to find a plug that will fit the rear defrost on the panel, it works, but it is just hooked up using spade connectors till I come across an actual plug - jscott1, can you help me out with one??

I have the connector and I'll get it to you shortly.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Jscott1: ok, thanks

Recent addition from Humount

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Jscott1: ok, thanks

Recent addition from Humount

Wow, that sure is purdy

I meant to go to the Post today but didn't make it. Hopefully tomorrow.
cowan1984

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2007 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowan1984Click Here to visit cowan1984's HomePageSend a Private Message to cowan1984Direct Link to This Post
bump to bookmark. Like I really needed another project for my car! I should stop surfing PFF all day on weekends. lol...nah.
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
EDIT: NM... I effectively used the search function to find out where to get a head unit mount like that. lol

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 12-31-2007).]

DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
jscott I'll get a 85 MPH speedo and see what I can come up with on making a converter for you. so you can quit killing speedos.
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
This is my favorite darnd thread on the fourm.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

jscott I'll get a 85 MPH speedo and see what I can come up with on making a converter for you. so you can quit killing speedos.

Anything yet?? I have a cluster or two on the chopping block. (off with their heads)

PFF
System Bot
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
A selfish BUMP.

Finally going to mount mine this Friday.

Then for the AC plumbing after I remove the dash.

John
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
I'll be getting the speedo I need to look at this coming weekend. Completely forgot about this thread. Woops.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2008 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
I got some bonocell and started to make my own doorskins but I am using the Firebird handles. Pics will come after I made some more progress.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop

blkcofy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2008 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if Orville ever finished his Grand Prix dash install pictured earlier in this thread?
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
This thread has been active for almost SIX YEARS.

SWEET!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blkcofy:

Does anyone know if Orville ever finished his Grand Prix dash install pictured earlier in this thread?

Knowing Orville, he's not only finished it, but working on his FOURTH Chop top.
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
BUMP
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2008 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Jscott:

Are these the HVAC switches that you used?

http://www.action-electroni...m/switchesrotary.htm
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2008 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post

1986GTV8

1259 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Anything yet?? I have a cluster or two on the chopping block. (off with their heads)

What ever came of this?

John
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock