Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Vented hood and FW chin spoiler FINALLY done!!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Vented hood and FW chin spoiler FINALLY done!!! by TD37
Started on: 04-12-2010 09:19 PM
Replies: 34
Last post by: jstricker on 04-16-2010 09:35 PM
TD37

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
Hey everyone. Some may remember my vented hood project I started a few years ago. I have finally been able to finish it up and got it all installed this morning along with my Fiero Warehouse chin spoiler. Here are the pics:

I was going to post my original thread when I started this but all of my image links are broken so there is really no point. I'll just post the old pictures here:

What do you think?

-Tim

[This message has been edited by TD37 (edited 04-12-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaDirect Link to This Post
DUDE!! That is bad a##! MEEE LIKEY!!!

Those rims look fantastic with the mods too!

[This message has been edited by timcha (edited 04-12-2010).]

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
nice looking indeed. Me likey.
timcha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaDirect Link to This Post
Can you post more pics of the chin spoiler? Does it replace the entire lower section of the nose, or does it blend in with the original curves in front of the wheel? I always wanted to see one that did away with the area that begins the ground effect molding look....
GT86FASTBACK

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post
I LOVE that hood!!!! I think I am gonna be dearing and try to make my own... Do you happend to have the measurments for the placements of the cuts and all that??? that would really help.
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
very very nice!! good job man..
question: what rims are those?

and what took so long? lol
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the kind words. As far as measurements on the hood, I had someone ask recently and I tried to figure it out but I did this 3 years ago so any memories are long gone. With the angles and such its very hard to nail down specific dimensions. I also pointed out to the person that you might have an even BETTER idea sitting in your head just waiting to come out. My advice; get a light colored spare hood, draw a center line and see what you like. In the end you might be happier with your design rather than mimicing someone elses. Keep in mind the bulk head by the spare tire, the radiator & fan and the coolant overflow tank. I did cut down my bulkhead an inch or two but I'm ok with that. I don't have a spare tire right now anyway.

As far as the chin spoiler: Here are the pics when I was fitting it. It took some tweaking to get it to fight nice and tight to the bumper but it slides right over the factory bumper and I have it bolted underneath with 6 1/4-20 bolts in the center where there used to be 7mm screws from the factory.

-Tim
Sphynx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Is that the notched chin spoiler from Doug at the Fiero Warehouse?
timcha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the chin spoiler pics.......I also like how aggressive that hood vent is....most are fairly docile looking but yours looks like it's ready to eat something!!
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
Yes, I think its called 'notched sage spoiler' from Fiero Warehouse. They have a solid one and this one. I didn't have a choice when I got mine. I like this one better anyway

Wheel- Exel Ennio 17x7" front, 18x8" rear. Actually, they look exactly like Audi R8 wheels. Even the same color as on the Audi R8 Conv. concept.

-Tim
Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, I have the same thing. Looks great.
PFF
System Bot
DougC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post
Trade you cars, straight across, no questions asked
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post
Great googly moogly!!!!! I love that hood!!! Great job....you've got one sweet ride.

[This message has been edited by kyunderdawg (edited 04-12-2010).]

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Nice job on the hood TD37.

Now if you like agressive...................

John Stricker

Originally posted by timcha:

Thanks for the chin spoiler pics.......I also like how aggressive that hood vent is....most are fairly docile looking but yours looks like it's ready to eat something!!

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post
Nice job TD37!! I have always liked the way your car looked, and now I like it even more! That hood looks AMAZING! Did you have to modify the wall of the spare tire compartment for clearance? I have never done fiberglass work, but I really really want a hood like that!
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seDirect Link to This Post
Wow that is awesome! More pics of your Fiero please!!!
dbjunkies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dbjunkiesClick Here to visit dbjunkies's HomePageSend a Private Message to dbjunkiesDirect Link to This Post
awesome job on the hood...I've been thinking of doing something similar...gotta finish up fitting the '93 Mustang GT wing first...one project @ a time
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Suddenly I like Aero bumpers. It really looks great! If I didn't like my Formula nose so much, I'd be wanting that. All the work looks top notch and the car as a whole seems very well thought out. Nice job.

Jonathan
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
Thanks everyone. Here's a pic without the hood and spoiler but I think you can use your imagination haha. I should have some more full car pics in a week or so

-Tim
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
man i want those freakin wheels so bad.. where did you get them?
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Wow... I never saw your first thread, but that vent looks exactly like the design I had in my head (for my own extractor vent). Me likey

But now I have to tweak my thoughts about the vent design a bit - to stay original, ya know?
PFF
System Bot
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TD37:

Thanks for the kind words. As far as measurements on the hood, I had someone ask recently and I tried to figure it out but I did this 3 years ago so any memories are long gone. -Tim

this may not help, but i have one done somewhat similar. somewhere in the archives archie shows the dementions for the cuts on that purple pavement eater car's hood vent. i used those and just cut two smaller openings instead of cutting all the way across.

i like the car too. i have that same twin opening and chin on my silver gt. wish i could get stuff like that finished and painted.

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Nice quaility work you have done with looks to match congratulations on your work be proud.
BHall71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Direct Link to This Post
That looks great! Good job. Wish I could do it to mine but my batteries are in the way.

Brian
2mEV
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
That is one nice lookin' notchie! What brake kit do you have?
bristowb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bristowbSend a Private Message to bristowbDirect Link to This Post
Man that is HOT! beautiful!
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
The wheels are Exel Ennios from wheelmax.com. I got a custom package with 17x7 and 18x8 with wider tires on the 18's for around $850. I will say that the wheels aren't light like some of the higher quality (and more expensive) wheels. They have a very nice finish and I've never had a problem with them except they were balanced very strangely when I got them. A few people have had their own hangups with wheelmax but my experience was fine.

http://www.wheelmax.com/whe...28&color=Gun%20Metal

As for the brakes, its a completely custom setup made by me. Please don't ask me to build you a set, I don't have the capability at this time. You can see all the details in my C5/C4 Hybrid Brakes thread here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/070268.html#p7

-Tim
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Tim,
That is some quality work there man, really like the looks of that front end and I am starting to warm up to the fender stripes too.... kinda corvette grand sport but not sure what it actually started with.... again sweet ride... peace

Pete
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the words Pete. I grew up a huge road race/Grand Sport fan so thats where I got the inspiration. I've seen fender stripes on just about everything but I think it started with the GS or the Cobra. I like it because its something that sets it apart but is still rather subtle. The people who recognize it respect it and the ones that don't know what it is like it anyway. I'm also a big advocate of the fender stripes on only the drivers side. Again, I'm not 100% sure why but thats usually what I see from the old road race pictures.

-Tim
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Aah, again nice work.... how would you say the difficulty is on the hood mods, I am gonna try my hand at it soon so I would like to know what your views are of it. Does the hood seem to retain its rigidity after the mods, does the reworking require any special chemicals or can you just use fiberglass products and traditional bodywork processes to get this done.... I read that you were required to modify the spare tire compartment, were you able to mod it to be weatherproof afterwards or is that something you must forgo.... again, nice work and the paint appears to be pretty well done too.. did you paint it yourself? peace

Pete
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Simply amazing. I love the mix of gloss and flat paint. It really sets off the vents and makes them stand out.

Jim
PFF
System Bot
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Looks nice! I am going to be using a similar chin spoiler soon on my car. I am having difficulty deciding how I am going to install it. Would you mind sharing your methods of fastening and keeping everything lined up?
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
Pete - The hood seemed very strong at just about any point during this project. I was worried about it moving around after I cut it also but I never had a problem with it and it seemed just as strong with the cuts all the way through the structure. I have heard many times that you can't mix fiberglass and the Fiero body material. There is a good amount of glass supporting the sides of the scoops but I never had a problem with it not adhering or feeling flimsy. Anytime I glassed; I was sure to use wax and grease remover, heavily sanded or ground the area being worked on, then W&G removed again to make sure it was clean and there was something to adhere to. The hardest part was the bodywork afterwards to get everything straight and smooth with body filler. Remember, if you are looking at doing this type of vent, you have to work on 4 seperate edges for straightness and smoothness before paint. The toughest part is where the lines join the normal plane of the hood. It is very easy to wash those edges out with sanding of the filler. I did have to modify the spare tire bulkhead. I took maybe 2" out of it and would be easy to make it water tight again with some weatherstriping on the new bulkhead edge to seal to the bottom and side of the scoops.

Here are some pics of the underside of the hood:

After removing some structure:

The bulkhead:

-Tim

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

Nice job on the hood TD37.

Now if you like agressive...................

John Stricker

Hey John!!! It's been a while....how's everything going??? Is this your new car???

------------------

1 of 2: Graphite Grey Pearl 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 2000 L67 Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 12.0@118mph, 1.89 60ft w/True Street Radial Tires not Drag Radials!)
New Engine on the Road again! FTW Motorsports style!
312rwhp/332rwtq

My CarDomain Site

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Amir,

You have a PM.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Rare87GT:
Hey John!!! It's been a while....how's everything going??? Is this your new car???

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock