Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  3800 SC Timeing cover heater port outlet size???

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

3800 SC Timeing cover heater port outlet size??? by RULOOKIN
Started on: 03-26-2010 11:24 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: FastFieros on 03-28-2010 12:13 PM
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to figure out what size TAP to use on the timeing cover port for a return line to the heater core i have a 3/4 inch NPT fitting that looks like it will work looking for sugestions, sizes alternitives i have seen it done this way utiliazing that as a return to the stock fiero heater core with a half or 3/4 hose clamped to the outlet fitting
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post
I never used that hole for the heater core I just always blocked it of with a 1"soft plug. I used the 3/4 pipe thread tap on the LIM right below the supercharger. I always use the fiero t stat housing. On pre 88's I keep the heater core outlet on the housing and cut the rest off. I shorten the overall housing and rotate it then weld it back together. I think some vendors sell these. Chris

[This message has been edited by Dementia (edited 03-26-2010).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
The "timing cover" aka water pump return is most easily put down around the stock 87/88 return. On the pre 87s I just make a little T fitting on the welder... its possible you could make one up at the hardware store too.
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I think I used a 3/4" tap...it allowed to use regular fittings and elbows from the local hardware store

Did the same to the LIM outlet. I rented the tap because it is too big and expensive to buy just for this job. I had to enlarge the openings before I could have the tap grab and thread...The 87/88's already have a heater return line to the right side coolant tube under the car so I plugged the port on the engine..hope this is some usefull info.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
did u want to sell the ported SC??? i pmed you no reply....tim
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
I tryed a 3/4 this week too small i am sure it is 1inch 14npt the pics above are exactly what i am trying to do but i have the LIM port filled just running heater line off the water pump/timeing cover any used 1 inch NPT before i am going to buy a Tap this week,LOL this is Canada guy no where to rent one !
FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
It is 3/4 NPT. Yes, it appears to be too small, but you need to grind off part of the tap to make it work just right. The NPT is tapered. Get the starter threads ground down about .250 and you get to the better threads and be sure you tap all the way up in the housing, but do not force it at the bottom out area. The housing will crack if you are not careful.

Once you have the tapped hole, put thread sealer and Teflon tape on the threads of the fitting, insert and be careful once again and do not bottom out into an area that does not have the threads or you will crack the housing. I have tapped about 25 of these for various installs and other people.

http://www.fastfieros.com/projects has many pics and at least 3 installs have the fittings for heater core return support.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock