ROUND Leather Auto Shift Knob by Fiero-in-Paradise
Started on: 03-20-2010 03:38 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Fiero-in-Paradise on 03-23-2010 06:27 PM
Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking for something unique for my Mera, and I came across this on e-bay. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever seen one of these, or have one installed? Personally, I have never seen a ROUND, leather knob for an auto, which also has the correct tab to fit on the slotted shaft.

The one on the left is currently installed in my car, and the one on the right is the one I bought. The seller said it came off a Z-28 IROC Camaro.

I like this knob for two reasons...it's leather covered, and it has a much smaller, round release button on the top than the square one.

Here's a pic with the standard Camaro/Firebird knob:

And here's a pic of the round knob. I just have to modify the shaft lower for the button to fit.

So without any other modifications, the round knob already sits about an inch lower than the other.

When I get around to the actual modification and install, I'll post the details on my "Real Mera in Paradise" thread, where all my other mods are posted. I want to also get a new boot first.
Tom

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
That's awesome! Huge improvement, I think.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
Tom,

I too have the Camaro/Firebird (I think even the Corvette had it?) knob and I have to admit the round one looks great! I have never seen this one before! Had you shortened the stock push rod or shift lever like I have? Looks like I will have a couple of "spare" auto shift knobs soon! (One stock, two Camaro/Firebird).

\/\/
ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroDirect Link to This Post
The round knob comes from Camaro IROC-Z's and GTA Trans Am's. Base, Berlinetta, and RS Camaro's had the other ones as did Base Firebirds.

Shelby
Valkyrie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
May I ask what the switch between your window switches is for?

...NOS?
Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
LOL...that switch is actually the power mirror switch that came on original Meras.

The round knob sits lower on the shaft, without any modifications. I will have to figure out, though, how to modify the top of the shaft for the release button to work.

[This message has been edited by Fiero-in-Paradise (edited 03-21-2010).]

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
Tom.

This might help

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/101931.html

I went to Home Deport and bought aluminum rod that was the same diameter as the "beads" and cut a new rod out of it. I chucked the aluminum in a drill and ground the tips rounded. Works perfect. I didn't want to trash the stock push rod.

Will
Valkyrie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero-in-Paradise:

LOL...that switch is actually the power mirror switch that came on original Meras.

The round knob sits lower on the shaft, without any modifications. I will have to figure out, though, how to modify the top of the shaft for the release button to work.

Hmmm... How does it work? How is one supposed to switch between the left and right side mirrors?
Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
If you look closely, you'll see that black ring with a tiny "knob" on it. Turning that left or right will activate the toggle with the left or right mirror. On my Mera, the wiring is all there up through the doors, but the previous owner (I guess) opted to remove the power mirrors and replace with manual

Hey Will, thanks for the advice, I picked up a 3' long piece of 1/4" round alum stock.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock