Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Gauging Interist in custom decals (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Gauging Interist in custom decals by JohnWPB
Started on: 02-26-2010 12:58 AM
Replies: 50
Last post by: NCTyphoonKid on 03-08-2010 08:26 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I created some decals and such for my own personal car, and had shown a couple of people them. They both suggested that I make them available for others that may want them. So, I thought I would toss it out there, and see what the interest in this is.

I know other people make a couple of the stickers, and I really do not want to step on anyone's toes, but I wanted to put together a "whole package" so to speak.

I was thinking somewhere around $20 for everything. (Let me know if this seems unreasonable!).

One of the items is something I have not seen before anywhere else. It is that laminated on paper on the inside of the front left fender. It lists the VIN of the vehicle, as well as all of the codes for parts and such for the car. I basically did this, as the one under my hood was all faded and yellowed. I spent a lot of time and effort restoring that area, and it just looked really bad when everything else in there looks like the day the car was purchased from the factory. It is printed on the same heavy weight paper, and would include the laminate over the top. Just peel off the back and stick it in place.

For this one, I would need a photo of your stock sticker that I could look at, to copy the numbers, before printing the sheet.

Also, the other one I have not seen, is the one that goes on the Air Canister that lists the part number for the filter with the barcode. I could also do a custom one that states K&E or something if someone wanted, but I just wanted mine to look like stock after I sanded and repainted it.

All of the stickers / decals use the exact same font, font style, kerning, colors, and spacing as the factory ones. Once in place, it would take a DNA test to tell it apart from the originals Also, all of these would be printed to the same exact dimensions as the factory ones.

All that said, here are the ones that I did for my personal car:

These are the stickers:

Here is the Parts list sheet:

So..... Good Idea or bad idea... comments... suggestions???

EDIT:

Here is what the parts number sheet looks like put in place for a trial test and fit:

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 02-26-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I have few more for you that i am interested in.
Nice decal for air filter rounded.
Caution hot round for radiator.
Towing points --------------->
Place jack here ------------>

Jacking and towing points

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 02-26-2010).]

CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
I like them.
I may be interested in getting one of the RPO sheets done.

Also (not trying to be a jerk) "coolant" is misspelled on the left hand side of both the coolant stickers. You may want to fix that.

Over all they look good and I will be sure to pass this on to the other Fiero owners around here.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
LOL! I will fix that typo as soon as I get home from work, can't believe I missed that one. Then again, I spelled interest in the title for this post

Also, I have still to create the last one that I want, and thats the jacking procedure that is on the underside of the hood. Mine is wrinkled, peeling and shot....

As for the ones above, that jacking one looks nice, but I am going more for stock replacement stickers. There are literally hundreds of variations and custom stickers that could be done....
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
Also, I have still to create the last one that I want, and thats the jacking procedure that is on the underside of the hood. Mine is wrinkled, peeling and shot....

Send a PM to fierofool. He has some jacking procedure decals.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i made a post about this a few years ago for reproducing these stickers for restorations. i dont think there was much interest in it.
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
if you're doing this for $20 I'd be interested.
especially with the VIN sticker...so I take it you can print them out with the VIN of someone's car right?
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
I am all over this if you can reproduce the VIN stickers that are found on the 87-88 cars.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Rodney already has some of those stickers (bought them for my Indy) http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=37&products_id=142
But I'd like to see others: RPO codes, Window Sticker reproduction, Jacking instructions, lift locations, vacuum hose diagram.

Just had Safastro make some for our club.
A custom rear window sticker that says:

You wouldn't understand...
www,CalgaryFieros,com

.... it's a takeoff from the "It's a Jeep thing. You wouldn't understand..." for people driving behind us wondering WHAT kind of car they're looking at

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-26-2010).]

thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
I am certainly interested, Especially the jacking instructions under the hood.

good luck!
winger1955

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Direct Link to This Post
ya jack decal....i powdercoated my jack and can't find a good decal to replace the old one. pretty please???!!!!
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

I am certainly interested, Especially the jacking instructions under the hood.

good luck!

fierofool has the under hood jacking instruction decals already. See this thread.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

From a PM I received:

Can I get a photo of actual RPO code sticker in your car? I am interested...but one person's version of "looks original" doesn't always match another's.

Ok, I just printed one out on the card stock, and stuck it in place temporarily with some tiny pieces of double sided tape in the corners, I have yet to the purchase the laminate, and am not completely done under the hood, so I am not ready to put it there permanently. This was just a trial fit & placement.

I did notice, that after I printed it and went to put it in place, it is 1/4 inch larger than the stock one, and have adjusted the Photoshop file to match the correct size.

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

JohnWPB

5182 posts
Member since May 2009

Originally posted by gtxbullet:

if you're doing this for $20 I'd be interested.
especially with the VIN sticker...so I take it you can print them out with the VIN of someone's car right?

Yes, each one would be custom, with the Vehicle's VIN number, and the list of parts codes on the sheet. That is why I would need a photo of the original one, or at least the VIN# and just some sort of stock parts list from a similarly optioned car.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I bet several people will be interest in the RPO stickers because most are quite worn 25-ish years later.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

fierofool has the under hood jacking instruction decals already. See this thread.

There is no need for me to make the large jack sticker under the hood it looks like It looks like he did a great job on them, and am NOT trying to duplicate stuff others have spent time and money offering everyone! I will be definitely be ordering one for myself now

As for other stickers mentioned, I can do one for the jack itself, and am not sure what "window ones" mentioned above are referring to.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

...and am not sure what "window ones" mentioned above are referring to.

The Dealer Window Sticker.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-26-2010).]

Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
A decal for the jack and the rpo tag would be cool. Let me know when you are starting.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
How about the infamous Fiero Fire plaque? (The little aluminum plaque that said to be sure and do normal service on your Fiero, or it might catch fire.) Do you think you could reproduce those? I have one I could take a picture of, but it's not perfect. Someone else in our club has a perfect one.
RockyBalboaLives

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockyBalboaLivesSend a Private Message to RockyBalboaLivesDirect Link to This Post
Ummm yea is it bad that I have every one of these original stickers on my car and they are unblemished?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
If you need an 84 window sticker, I have a good scan of mine here somewhere. They're printed on larger than normal paper. I also have a scan of the underhood 84 jack sticker, which has a different jack than the later one.

I'd like to see some reproduction door decals, that go inside the driver's door when you open it. I've never been able to read mine. Lots of the ones I've seen are unreadable, too.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

PFF
System Bot
Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
How about "No Jack" sticker or metal cut out that goes next to the coolant tubes in front of the rear wheels? This might have saved my tubes from a service station blunder.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brastic:

How about "No Jack" sticker or metal cut out that goes next to the coolant tubes in front of the rear wheels? This might have saved my tubes from a service station blunder.

What happens when the "No" part wears off?
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

How about the infamous Fiero Fire plaque? (The little aluminum plaque that said to be sure and do normal service on your Fiero, or it might catch fire.) Do you think you could reproduce those? I have one I could take a picture of, but it's not perfect. Someone else in our club has a perfect one.

Here's a picture of the plaque:
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
That is not from the factory, right? I can't imagine Pontiac placing this on the car, especially with the wording and all. I do not know about any one else, but I will never put that on my car! I do not want people to open the hood / deck and read that and start commenting about it "See I told you they catch fire!". No way

I have been working more on the parts sheet, right down to the last detail of the exact font, and trying to mimic the dot matrix font and all. I found a font that was very close to the one used, except for the way a few of the numbers and letters were shaped. Such as the 7 having a straight line, where the factory font has a curve in the 7. I have taken a few different fonts, and have been able to create a new font that is so close I can not tell the difference.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
I think that's a GM part number in the upper right corner. I think these were given to some customers when they took their cars in for one of the recalls, with some double stick tape and instructions to mount it somewhere. Most people didn't mount them.
Edit: I would like to have one of these, in perfect condition, as a novelty item. If you're thinking of reproducing them, it measures 2 1/4" wide by 5 1/4" long. It's made of thin aluminum.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 02-27-2010).]

Mr.Goodwrench

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.GoodwrenchClick Here to visit Mr.Goodwrench's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.GoodwrenchDirect Link to This Post
How bout the driver door one that shows tire size and psi ect. ??
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Would you be willing to share what font you used for the VIN/RPO sticker? Mine was destroyed, and I built a psd, but could not find an exact font. Also, on the 88 cars, that sticker wasn't paper. It appeared to be vinyl.

If you make one out of vinyl, I'd be interested.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
If it is is surprises me for sure.... the wording is really not the normal "legalese" that you would normally see. Such as the line: "Because they didn't get proper maintenance and service"... that is just not even good English! LOL

I would think something more along the lines of "Due to the fact that proper maintenance procedures were not followed" would sound more like something coming from a corporation....

I honestly do not know one way or the other, but if it is a GM plaque, then a high school freshman must have written it

Ok, as I was just gauging interest in the stickers and all, I had not really made it 100% perfect. Now that I have gotten feedback from a few people, the RPO (Parts number sheet) is as about dead on as you can possibly get. I can either print them as shown in the first post, or I have also worked out a few filters in Photoshop to mimic the dot matrix printing as well. I also had to make a custom font to duplicate some of the letters correctly. (such as the Q, G, 7 & 4) I also used an original for the exact spacing, size, and placing of the text on the sheet.

I have ordered some supplies, and will get one completely done when the supplies come in, and take some pictures.

This is all still in the trial and testing phases, but if I can get everything the way I want, I will post a new thread in the mall for those that would want one. I am not looking to make a lot of money on these, just a bit to cover my time & materials. The shipping will be dirt cheap, something like .50 cents is what I am thinking.

I also see no need to duplicate anything that is available already, so I will not be making the fan warnings and coolant fill procedure ones.

The one for the air canister I have not seen, as well as the one that goes on the jack itself. These will be availableif everything goes well.

As for the one for the inside of the door, that would be hard to do. First it is a reflective material, and secondly, I have not seen one yet that I can actually read

As for making one as to where to place the jack, I do not think a vinyl sticker will adhere very well to that textured rail, especially with all the elements that the tires are going to spit up there such as rain, salt, snow, mud ect ect.....
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

JohnWPB

5182 posts
Member since May 2009

Originally posted by smartaxel:

Would you be willing to share what font you used for the VIN/RPO sticker? Mine was destroyed, and I built a psd, but could not find an exact font. Also, on the 88 cars, that sticker wasn't paper. It appeared to be vinyl.

If you make one out of vinyl, I'd be interested.

I can't pass along the font, as I had to purchase it. It is called TypeStar.

I had not seen one on the 88's as of yet, but if it is vinyl, that should not be a problem. I have the materials on order and will test print one out when it all gets here.

If that goes well, There would be the option of ordering one in either the card stock with laminate, or a vinyl one.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

As for the one for the inside of the door, that would be hard to do. First it is a reflective material, and secondly, I have not seen one yet that I can actually read

HA!

I have an original one of those plaques, it came with a recall notice, and WAS sent out by Pontiac. I think the whole point was to scare you into selling your now a-few-years-old Fiero for a new Pontiac.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

PFF
System Bot
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I cant believe they actually sent that out!
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:I have an original one of those plaques, it came with a recall notice, and WAS sent out by Pontiac. I think the whole point was to scare you into selling your now a-few-years-old Fiero for a new Pontiac.

WOW! This is something! Reading the wording on it, I would have never thought it was done by anyone with more than a 9th grade education

Just a note, you quoted the part about the door sticker, and not the plaque thingy
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
wow, the rpo sticker still is in great shape on my car. every time i look into something on the car i am just in amazement on how good shape the car is really in. cool stickers. my car has i think been in not driven but 5,000 miles in 5 yrs. and been garage kept. i donot think the last owner new the owners manual was under the passenger seat in like new condition. the bottom of the car is just dusty w/no rust.pictures will come one day. i love this place, teach me more every day i read new threads.
Steven_Kreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

HA!

I have an original one of those plaques, it came with a recall notice, and WAS sent out by Pontiac. I think the whole point was to scare you into selling your now a-few-years-old Fiero for a new Pontiac.

Hah I have one of those Plaques as well, its in pretty damn good condition too... hummm... now taking offers! Send PM! lol
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
How about the GM Protection Plan sticker that goes in the back glass.I can get better pics if you want.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

NCTyphoonKid

1277 posts
Member since Jun 2008
Also I found some door stickers online if you would like to see them also.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NCTyphoonKid:

Also I found some door stickers online if you would like to see them also.

Yes, I would like to see them for sure....

I would also like to get a higher quality photo of the protection plan one, so I can get the font, spacing and such exact. In the mean time, here is a rough draft....

This is a really lo-res save of the PSD. The original is extremely High-res and could actually be printed at 20 inches across and still be 100% clear with NO pixelation.

If anyone else has any further ideas for stickers on the car, that have not been mentioned, let me know. I guess I have come this far, and should try to go ahead and make all the ones that are not made by others already.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 02-28-2010).]

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
How about the C&C door tag for t-top cars? Sorry, I don't have a better picture, or the dimensions of the tag.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 02-28-2010).]

NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
I will try to get you a higher quality pic of the Protection Plan sticker.Here are the door decals I found them online there for a Grand National but I'm able to read my original decals and these are pretty much the same.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock