2.8 beretta coild pack motor swap to fiero by Ruffy
Started on: 02-19-2010 09:59 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: snowblindburd on 02-22-2010 02:52 PM
Ruffy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
Hello all again. been a long time but anyhow if you havent read my post many many months ago,

(with in a years time)
i was rebuilding 86 fiero. all it really needed was tires and clutch work. when i started it i was really happy and was playing with it for about 2 months trying to figure out why the clutch didnt work. well after all the pain i went through i left it set once again for about 6 months. then i got fedup and started to play with it again. a true story of NEVER OVERLOOK THE SMALL THINGS! all it was is the clutch pedal was bent and didnt let the clutch to work right. anyhow after that i ordered a set of new tires and rims to set off the look. i put it on the road and drove it for about 3 months. needless to say the motor started to knock!

(What is now happening)
Well after a few months i let it set again because of the motor knocking. i kicked around many options of 3.1,3.4,3.8 and V8 upgrades but many of them i didnt have time for, so my buddy called and said he was selling his beretta with a 2.8 in it. i knew this car all to well for its power and how much he put in it. the only thing wrong with the car is the clutch went out and he bought a camaro and didnt put any more time into the beretta. so 700$ later i have a 1989 beretta GTU sitting in my garage with less then 10,000 miles on a fresh high preformance motor with all upgrades a 2.8 (drivable) could have. plus a nice 5 speed!

(my questions)
i know its a 2.8 and will bolt up. but will my 4 speed clutch fit into this 5 speed tranny? im 99% sure it will but you guys know your swaps. now the 2.8 out of the beretta has coil packs and not like my 2.8 with a single coil and distributer. will the coil packs work? and what alll do i have to do? also i read on a thread of where a guy took the brain out of a beretta and put it into a fiero and ran a ton better. where is this thread post a link please.

the real question here is, a complete swap from beretta to fiero. how do i do it and what problems will i have. the only thing i plan on using off the old fiero motor would be the headers. I need info asap because next weekend ill need to have the feiro up and running and on the road. i dont think it should be hard because there both 2.8s, but one is coil packs and the fiero isnt. also the 4 speed clutch into a 5 speed tranny swap as well. (its not a stock clutch, its kevlar$$)

tryed to post in construction zone but wouldnt let me
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
AFAIK, it will work. But, if you are going to swap, why not swap the trans in too? Rodney Dickman makes and sells the stuff you need to swap a Beretta 5 speed into the Fiero. And I'm quite sure the 4 speed clutch won't work in the 5 speed. The 4 speed is a Muncie and the 5 speed is a Getrag (which, IMO, is a better trans).

To do the swap, I would imagine it wouldn't be any different than any other swap. You'd need motor, trans, wiring, mounts and ECM (possibly axles, but I *think* Fiero axles will work. Don't quote me on that though).

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 02-19-2010).]

Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
I have no experiance with this motor, but my best gusses are:

For DIS ignition the ECM will be completely different and will require you build a wire harness to adapt the beretta harness to the Fiero. DIS will have a few sensors the Fiero 2.8 never had, I Imagine you will be using a 7730 ECM, do a search here and check GMTuners.com for info and wiring pinouts.

The clutch will fit the trans, you will need the proper throwout bearing from the trans. You will need the shift linkage kit to adapt the trans to the mid engine setup, and you will need Fiero 5 speed shifter and cables.

You cant post in the construction zone, Cliff has to put them in if they become popular/productive enough.
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
so anyone have a pic of this shift linkage? im sure i can make one really easy. also does anyone know about this beretta motor at all and know how easy the swap is? ever bit of info would really help. thanks bob

EDIT: another thing is. is it really worth putting the 5 speed in? or should i just keep the 4 speed in and save all the hassle? im not looking to get top speed here. plus i use to do old school 1/4 mile cars and i know the less gears the better when it comes to a 3,4,5,6 speed. gimmi a 3 speed anyday lol

[This message has been edited by Ruffy (edited 02-21-2010).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
I'd swap the 5 speed in honestly. Better trans IMO, and with the extra gear, better gas mileage. Especially if you are going to daily drive it. The 2.8 is a bit of a gas hog IMO...

Gimme a duke with a Getrag swap behind it any day as a daily driver

Shouldn't be a hard swap at all. As long as you have all the parts needed from the Beretta, it should be pretty straight forward. Not sure about the trans mounts between the Muncie 4 speed and the Getrag 5 speed, but I would imagine they are about the same...I'm sure someone will chime in and clear that up.
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
i hope i do get many replies to lol. i would love to have the 5 speed in fact. but when i hear about special things i need i really dont have time for that. see this car will be my daily driver and i have 5 days then we start working on it and i dont want to make the swap and find out that i need a differant clutch or throwout bearing. i wouldnt have time for that. plus you have to remeber the fiero is a distributer motor unlike the beretta is coil packs. so im sure there is some thing im going to have to deal with there to. im sure many people have done this swap and i hope they post what they have ran into when swapping the motors.
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdDirect Link to This Post
Poor GTU. What kind of shape is it in, and what do you plan on doing with the shell once you gut it? Does it have the front lip? What color is it?

------------------

1990 Sunbird SE /// 1995 Beretta Base

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
lol off topic but its in perfict shape. not a dent nor rust on the car at all. fiero is by far better. the bad thing with the gtu is the clutch went out thats why i need to know if the 4 speed clutch will fit in the 5 speed. i have less then 3000 miles on a new kevlar clutch in the fiero 4 speed

oh and its white. a rare color i guess. the car is an 88 but motor and trans is out of a 89. i didnt think that was important due to im just using the motor,tranny, and ecu

[This message has been edited by Ruffy (edited 02-21-2010).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
95% of the stuff you'll need will come off the Beretta. The only thing special that I can think of that you'd need are the shifter cables and whatnot from Rodney Dickman to be able to use the Beretta 5spd.

Here are a few links of what will be needed in your case from Rodney Hope this helps. If you call Rodney as well, he can provide you all the info you'd need to do the swap

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=28&products_id=58 - FWD Getrag into Fiero kit
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=28&products_id=37 - Shift cables

Rodney is very respected and comes highly recommended (and I can agree with everyone on that). His stuff is top notch, and he is always willing to help out with any questions, etc you may have

As for the TO bearing, check the Fierostore and see if they have it. For the 5 speed Fiero shifter, check in the mall section here on the forum, or check with Rodney. It does say that he has everything available to complete the swap (didn't see the shifter listed on the site though)

Again, hope this helps

Btw, good luck and welcome to madness Nice to see someone from that part of PA on the boards, haven't met many that are past Harrisburg area (and outside of Pittsburgh)...
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
thatyou very much! thats the kind of info i need right there. ill have to call about the cable because i should be able to use the cable out of the fiero or beretta. it looks the same as the one on my fiero now. but one thing is for shure it would cost me 245$ for all the cables and linkage. if that were the case i would stick with the 4 speed because of funds. ive already put a ton of money into this car and the wife is getting made. plus 99$ for ONE cable just dont seem right
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post

Ruffy

597 posts
Member since Jun 2008
oh and another thing is the shift assembly!? from 4 speed to 5 they look differant from the fiero store pics. is this another part im going to need or will the stock 4 speed one work or ifnot that will the beretta one work?
PFF
System Bot
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdDirect Link to This Post
The only reason I ask is because there are many people that would like a mint GTU (me), and you sound like you have a pretty good example of one. The reason I wondered about the color was because GTU's only came in white, black, or red.

If you plan on selling the car once you're done tearing the engine and trans/etc out I hope you make a post about it here.

At any rate, I will end my threadjack lol. I apologize for getting off-topic. Good luck with your project!

------------------

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
Well so far I think the shell is taken. The guy doing the motor swap is doing it for trade of the shell. I thought that was a good deal
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I thought you were doing the swap and the car was in your posession. Nevermind then lol.

------------------

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
Oh I do have the complete car. A guy offered to get the motor swap done for the fiero and all he wanted was the Beretta shell. I was all for it so I don't have to pay someone to put it in. See my back went out and its hard for me to do anything at this point
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdDirect Link to This Post
Gotcha. At any rate, I'm sorry I did not further understand the situation. My Beretta-sense took over lol .

Like I said, best of luck with the project!

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock