Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Remember when they made I think 50 all white 86 1/2 GT's!!!!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Remember when they made I think 50 all white 86 1/2 GT's!!!!! by FIERO JOHN-WI
Started on: 01-15-2010 11:27 PM
Replies: 32
Last post by: CowsPatoot on 01-19-2010 01:11 AM
FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2010 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIDirect Link to This Post
Remember something about FOCOA and a Pontiac dealer supposedly had 50 made 1986 1/2 Fastback GT's painted "all" white, then had a pegsus sticker added to the hood, could this be one of them, again just asking.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Don't know about that, one of the more knowledgable people might be able to answer. If it is, why is the moulding different colors from side to side? The white side looked spray painted to me.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Well cheap enough for a set of Mr Mikes and a car.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Funnily enough my white Fiero was also monotone and had white rims. Every one of these factory or dealer white Fieros seems to have white wheels too. I asked the owner of mine if he had painted it and he had assumed it was like that as he bought it off the first owner with white painted wheel centres.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIERO JOHN-WI:

Remember something about FOCOA and a Pontiac dealer supposedly had 50 made 1986 1/2 Fastback GT's painted "all" white, then had a pegsus sticker added to the hood, could this be one of them, again just asking.

Do you mean the 86 GT (There is no such thing as an 86.5 GT.... even though people try to say that because of the fastback or the 5-speed... but it is still just an 86 GT with a 5speed... otherwise we would have an 87.5 and an 88.5 GT... since they had the 5-speeds)?

Otherwise, it "could be" one of the white ones, but I don't remember what the color scheme was on those. It could also be a bad paint job
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about the wheels, but I'd say the car has been repainted. All Fieros came from the factory with black mirrors. These are white. Even the mirror gaskets are white. The molding on the passenger side is black while it's white on the driver side (quote from above).

The term 86 and a half Gt may not be a Pontiac designation, but it's a term that most of us in the Fiero community understand to mean that it has the 5 speed instead of the 4 speed transmission. There are no 86 and a half GT's with automatics. There were no such major production changes in the 87 or 88 production year, so there's no reason to designate such year model as 87 or 88 and a half.

The seats are production seats, not Mr. Mike's.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 01-16-2010).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12810 posts
Member since Jan 2002
double post

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 01-16-2010).]

87 REGISTRY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 REGISTRYSend a Private Message to 87 REGISTRYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

The term 86 and a half Gt may not be a Pontiac designation, but it's a term that most of us in the Fiero community understand to mean that it has the 5 speed instead of the 4 speed transmission. There are no 86 and a half GT's with automatics. There were no such major production changes in the 87 or 88 production year, so there's no reason to designate such year model as 87 or 88 and a half.

OK I guess I learned something here. I thought all 86 GTs were 861/2 because they came out late in the year. It's like the first Mustangs were 641/2. I had no idea that it was based on what tranny it had.

As far as this car goes it just looks like a bad paint job to me. I've seen one of the mono-whites and this one don't look like it. I'll have to dig and see if I have a picture of a real one.
FIERO JOHN-WI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIDirect Link to This Post
The reason it was called 86 1/2, was in the begining of 1986 you could still get a GT (but it was the coupe version) I have seen 2 in my life (thought they were 85's but had 86 vin's, then I thought they were retaged but one of owners said they bought it new ( Plus to have seen 2 of them) then the fastback came out mid year (hence the 86 1/2)

I never heard the reason you have mentioned about ( the 4 speed then 5-speed as bering the reason for calling it 86 1/2) I have heard because of the body change.
Just my 2 cents
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

The reason it was called 86 1/2, was in the begining of 1986 you could still get a GT (but it was the coupe version) I have seen 2 in my life (thought they were 85's but had 86 vin's, then I thought they were retaged but one of owners said they bought it new

I've never seen this confirmed that you could actually by an 86GT notchback. I've always heard that the GT was unavailable until the fastback came out.

Also, not all Fieros came with black mirrors. The 84 Indys came with white mirrors.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I've never seen this confirmed that you could actually by an 86GT notchback. I've always heard that the GT was unavailable until the fastback came out.

My 85 Notchie GT doesn't count? Huh. I am confused.

It is a GT, just because it does not have a Fastback clip means nothing. Are people bashing when they say GT and only mean a Fastback? I kinda take offense to it. Say fastback, or say notchie, there are two different GT's, a Notchie (we were here first) and a Fastback version. Not all GT's are Fastback, so saying GT, and meaning Fastback is not correct.

Sorry, but it's a point of contention with me, and it confuses people who do not know better.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

My 85 Notchie GT doesn't count? Huh. I am confused.

Brad

Sorry I meant to add that the GT was unavailable FOR THE 86 MODEL YEAR until the fastback came out. I'm well aware of the 85 GT...I have one.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
There is no such thing as a '86 notchback GT.

What happened was the new fastback GT model came with a 4 speed. Fastback GTs were built the second the '86 model started being built. It wasn't something that just slapped people in the face. People knew in '85 that Pontiac was redesigning the GT. Most of the '86 GTs that year with manual trans were 4 speeds. Later on it got a 5 speed. Actually, the five speed for '86 GT's is a fairly low number in term of Fieros that year (something like under 5000 for '86 with a 5 speed). So if you come across a '86 GT with a five speed, like mine, it's actually a lower number car for '86. Sorry, don't mean to go on that type of splurge but we REALLY need to get out of this '86 1/2 designation thing. You can get basically what is a GT in '86 with a V6 and the aero body, but that's the SE (which there seems to be a lot of going around lately). I think what's happening is people are getting SE's confused with GTs just because they have a V6 in them (maybe a four speed car, which is what I've seen a lot of '86 SEs have).

On topic, it wouldn't surprise me to see something that is dealer done. It's relatively common. My first Fiero I bought had some small dealer modifications.

I can't seem to get the link to work though.
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
I was always told through the years that 86 1/2 GT simply meant fastback with 5 speed (released later in the year) than 86 GT which was simply a 4 spd. It's nothing official just the hobbyists way of designated 4 spd. vs. 5 spd.

~ Jen
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Yup, it is only Fiero people that use the 1/2. Silly and really... wrong, and I will keep reminding people to NOT use it

What do they call the 86SE with a 5-speed? 86SE 1/2? Nope...

The media started this when the fastback came out in mid-86 but there was no 86 GT notchback.. it was the 86 SE, or you bought an 85GT in 86 and thought it was an 86 GT. Look at your sail panels... does it say SE or GT? That is what you have.

J.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
hey john hows it going back to topic:

There was a dealer from either texas or california that had some white GT's specially from the factory painted all white and with white centers on the rims. It was a special order that is all. Kinda like the holland pontiac convertible fieros. I remember that ray paulk might have gotten one of these the guy who has the fiero toy box. Correct me if i a wrong but... I know where your coming from john. Another side note anyone know what happened to the fieros and factory pieces that were in the fiero museum?
Terry_w

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Terry_wSend a Private Message to Terry_wDirect Link to This Post
I owned a "641/2" Mustang. The title actually said 65. I assume they all did. The "64 1/2" name came about by the parts stores designating the early 65s as 64 1/2 so they would give customers the right parts. Many parts were different than the late 65s. Mine had a generator instead of an Alternator. The Bell housing and block had a different bolt pattern and many more. Until the parts stores got wise I used to have to ask for parts for a 64 Falcon to get the right ones.
Since the Fiero had no such changes (just a late release and the added fastback) it doesn't seem like they really need a 1/2 added.
RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

I believe that one of my FOCOA magazines has an article about these 50 cars. Page 33 & 66 of the 2000 1st & 2nd quarter double issue. It says that they were offered for sale by a Michigan GM dealer, Quality Pontiac. They were priced high, a few were sold but most were changed back to the stock white and silver, distributed to other dealerships and sold.

The pictures in the magazine are black and white but all the wheels that are visible look to be gray color, not white. Also, mirrors are black.

The 86 1/2 nomenclature seems to be used a lot in the FOCOA magazines also, so that probably helped to anchor it in our history.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto (coming soon SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 01-17-2010).]

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
First of all there was a Pontiac Dealer that had an order of 86 FAST BACK GT's specially painted. I'm pretty sure a NIFE article a few years ago described it. It was not unusual for a large dealer or a group in a major metro area to work with Pontiac's marketing and sales promotion department to do this with colors or equipment on different carlines. If I remember correctly it was the Michigan dealer described above. They did have white wheels and white mirrors.

Secondly the First GT came out in 85 patterned after the Indy Fiero with the rounded nose. When the 86 model run started in September of 1985 the (F37)SE Notchback was available with an optional V6 but there was no notchback GT in the model year 1986. The (G97) fastback GT was a mid year introduction in Jaunuary of 1986. I remember it well as our Zone had a display at the Portland International Auto Show with a bright red GT on a rotating display that had tons of people gawking at the car and I even had people trying to jump over the display and get in the car.

All the car mags described it as an 86.5 due to the midyear intro but it was still built with the same designation in the serial number as an 86. It came with an optional 3 speed auto or the standard MM4 Muncie 4 speed because the Getrag/Muncie 5 speed was not ready for production until about May of 1986 when it was released. I had one of the first Zone PEP cars with a 5 speed for about 30 days before I miled it out and took a different Pontiac car. That 30 day period I drove it down the Oregon coast on 101 visiting Pontiac Dealers and later through the high desert. What fun it was on those twisty roads.

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 01-17-2010).]

RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Murphy:...They did have white wheels and white mirrors...

Hi Mike,

I suppose this could have been a different special purchase, but for the FOCOA 50 the pictures don't support this.

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 01-17-2010).]

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Yes it could have been a different one that NIFE was referring to but it was a common practice at times when a large dealer or group of dealers wanted to do something special.
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
White like these? I have four of these. If these were color changed by someone, they were super careful about over spray and masking.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 01-18-2010).]

paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Direct Link to This Post
I talked to the person responsible for these Fieros at Quality Pontiac in Waterford MI Dec. "2007" and received some photos from him. I will post the info on the 50 cars and what happened to them. Tonight. I will tell you that only three were sold. More to come.

Ron T
Fiero Historian

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O (My Indy on right / #1 IMS)

[This message has been edited by paced84 (edited 01-18-2010).]

paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Direct Link to This Post

paced84

915 posts
Member since Sep 2004
"1986" QUALITY PONTIAC SPECIAL FIERO GT's
In 1986 50 Quality Pontiac Fiero GT's were produced. Quality Pontiac didn't produce vechiles. They were actually built at the Fiero plant in Pontiac MI. This special Fiero packagee included Monochromatic White paint, a Fiero jacket, customdash plaque Fiero fender covers,Pegasus hood emblem, and a life time F.O.C.O.A membership. The limited edition package added $440.00 to the original price of the 1986 GT. These Fieros had special numbers from X000-X49. Kevin Yzquierdo was general sales manger at Quality Pontiac and the person who came up with the idea for the Quality Pontiac Fiero with the input from Fiero Phil of Fiero Owners Club of America and Don Daniels, the Fiero plant manger.

When visitors came to Pontiac for the event, they stayed at the "Quality Inn" in Pontiac and were allowed to drive thier Fiero's through the plant. I have been trying to get information as to what happened to those 50 Special Fieros. On a Sat. afternoon in Dec. "2007" I stopped at Quality Pontiac. After talking with several emloyees, I explained that I was trying to locate Kevin. I spoke to Larry Larson who was working at the dealership back in "1986". He stated that Kevin was now at a different dealership. and mentioned that Kevin does make contact occasionaly. I asked him to see if he would be willing to share some information about those 50 Special Fieros. Several weeks later, Larry said he had spoken with Kevin and that he would
be happy to share some photos and information on the Quality Pontiac Fieros.

Now the information I have been searching for was coming to light. According to Kevin only three Special Fieros were sold. The other 47 were shipped to California. Somewhere betrween Quality Pontiac and California, they were flood damaged and these Special Fieros were returned to Pontiac were they were all destroyed. There were rumers that they were painted bcak to thier original paint scheme and sold. According to Kevin that was not the case. He also stated, I think it would be better to refer to them as 'Pegasus Fiero' rather than Quality Pontiac Fiero.

------------------

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Well looks like I have a set of their wheels then. Four of only twelve know to have survived?
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Just a technicality for Fierofool...not all Fieros came with black mirrors...look at a Pace car.
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paced84:

This picture looks similar to the ones in FOCOA magazine, they don't look white like the close up in the first couple of pics. Lighting and distance makes a big difference I guess.

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 01-18-2010).]

paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Direct Link to This Post
Window sticker "pegasus" Fiero

Ron T

------------------

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Just a technicality for Fierofool...not all Fieros came with black mirrors...look at a Pace car.

Thanks, John, you're right. Didn't think about that one. But the pictures paced84 shows verifies that the 50 Quality Pontiac cars had black mirrors and black trim. Good research, paced84.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
So would this make these the rarest feros ever sold?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
What kind of Cheap SOBs were buying cars back in 86 that they wouldn't fork over an extra $440 for a special edition Fiero?? If 47 of them were destroyed then it's a shame.
PFF
System Bot
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paced84:

im confused... In all pictures but the last one, they have obviously white, or at least gray, rims. in the last picture, the one in color, they ALL have obviously black rims
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
I have seen (and driven) one of these Fieros. A friend of mine owned one in Sumter, SC back in 1995. He purchased it from a used car lot just outside of Shaw AFB. We parted ways when we were discharged in 1997....I moved back to Michigan, and he moved back to Charleston, SC. It was a fully loaded 86 GT with a 5 speed and a gray interior. I don't remember what color wheels he had, and the only pic I remember taking of it has disappeared over the years. At the time, we didn't know there was anything special about the car, and I doubt he left the car stock (there were already engine mods to it when we parted ways).

[This message has been edited by CowsPatoot (edited 01-19-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock