Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Full electric , lithium ione powered project . (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Full electric , lithium ione powered project . by Torch-Red87
Started on: 12-21-2009 06:31 AM
Replies: 40
Last post by: MadMark on 03-22-2010 06:09 PM
Torch-Red87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2009 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post
Well this buildup was done in about 5-6 weeks .
Motor and batterys are yet not build in :
More will be soon .

[This message has been edited by Torch-Red87 (edited 12-21-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2009 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2009 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Wow.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2009 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Clean Fiero. Nice garage.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2009 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Torch-Red87:

Well this buildup was done in about 5-6 weeks .
Motor and batterys are yet not build in :
More will be soon .

Shiny.... Me want.

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 12-21-2009).]

BHall71

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2009 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Direct Link to This Post
Nice car, great work and excellent project if I do say myself. I have a Zilla 1KLV and a WarP9 just waiting to be put into mine. What motor and controller are you going with?

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/216

Brian

[This message has been edited by BHall71 (edited 12-21-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2009 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BHall71:

Nice car, great work and excellent project if I do say myself. I have a Zilla 1KLV and a WarP9 just waiting to be put into mine. What motor and controller are you going with?

Brian

hey BHall71, from edmond here. are you in the fiero club out here? lately we have been having meets in mustang. havent been lately cause gas is $$ and yea... be really neat to see your fiero. i havent seen an EV in person. well not a home made one.

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 12-22-2009).]

Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2009 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BHall71:

Brian

Well this gone be way diffrent this drive system is going to be new on the market . It will be a 3 Phase AC Motor with Li. batterys worth about 20000 US $ ,and the controller is just right now in the end phase of development .
This car will be the nice shell as a demonstrater for the drive system .
So nothing will be DIY all industrial done to meet future standarts .

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2009 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Nice car
I can't wait to see the drive system that is going in it.
BHall71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

hey BHall71, from edmond here. are you in the fiero club out here? lately we have been having meets in mustang. havent been lately cause gas is $$ and yea... be really neat to see your fiero. i havent seen an EV in person. well not a home made one.

I'm not in the fiero club, I am kinda new to the fiero thing. My fiero still has the gas motor in it (whats left of it). It pretty much starts up and is able to move itself from the street to the driveway when I get the rare chance to work on it. It's not much to see yet but hopefully soon.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BHall71 (edited 12-23-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
ah ok, well it would be cool to see you at one of the meets. my fiero has only been to about two of the meets. caught on fire at the last meet i went to in mustang.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

PFF
System Bot
kazew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewSend a Private Message to kazewDirect Link to This Post
My only question is, why is the radiator still in the car? whats it going to cool
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
i dont know if it was asked. nevertheless, do electric cars have transmissions? i guess the only real concern is going in reverse.

Also, why a fiero instead of an mr2 or something bigger yet lighter? like a s10 or el camino maybe? just curious not trying to start a war or anything.

how many miles do you expect to gain from 1 trip?
cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ghost187x:

i dont know if it was asked. nevertheless, do electric cars have transmissions? i guess the only real concern is going in reverse.

Also, why a fiero instead of an mr2 or something bigger yet lighter? like a s10 or el camino maybe? just curious not trying to start a war or anything.

how many miles do you expect to gain from 1 trip?

One of the nice things about electric motors is that they can spin forwards or backwards. I don't know if this one in particular has a trans, but even if it didn't reverse would not be a problem
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2009 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kazew:

My only question is, why is the radiator still in the car? whats it going to cool

Well all electric things get hot if the qurent flows so you need to cool it down , and only good way is water !.
So we will keep the radiator for cooling purpose .Sure maybe a little big but for project startup ok.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2009 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Cool. What happened to the climate controls?
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2009 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Cool. What happened to the climate controls?

Kolja who needs climate controls and heating ?. We are here not in florida . This is Hollywood , show and shine counts on a car for showcase use only . This is a industrial project form follows function not more , with this ,the drive system will be sold , or like Enzo Ferrari said ( I bulid engines , the chassie and body comes for free )
I can not come with the company´s name and website yet, because its not my car it was build for the company as a project .
They need something special and easy to use for the drive system for shows , testdrives and showcase for customers .
It well be once on the road but only with manufacture plate for testing , and test driving .

And the compressor is deleted anyway caused bye electric motor ,all other functions are still avaliable , lights etc.

Hope the answer now work that out for you .

Its my fieros little stepsister

[This message has been edited by Torch-Red87 (edited 12-25-2009).]

NeedForFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2009 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NeedForFierosSend a Private Message to NeedForFierosDirect Link to This Post
Really cool. I want to do this. Keep us posted.
Malkier

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2009 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalkierSend a Private Message to MalkierDirect Link to This Post
Awesome!

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
Wow , nice idea

will you post an detailed buildthread if your your costumer give you the permission ?
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

Wow , nice idea

will you post an detailed buildthread if your your costumer give you the permission ?

Well idea was my dad´s he work at the company and the car came from us , but i cant let the jake out of the box before them .
I will keep updating it .

Well nothing big happend since now yet ,brake boost system will be fun to work out .

[This message has been edited by Torch-Red87 (edited 12-29-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, that's a nice center console. Any plans on performing similar ideas for the area around the dash?

------------------

"I drive modified Fieros- anything less would be uncivilized."

Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Yeah, that's a nice center console. Any plans on performing similar ideas for the area around the dash?

Well not on this project , this will stay it is but future projects will get this style so is the plan , but my projects for next future is my new engine for my yellow 88´ and ending the Italian 328 replica my dad started 1989
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2010 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post
Lets move on to the news (Clarkson)

Good news .........and its not a Dacia Sandero

[This message has been edited by Torch-Red87 (edited 03-19-2010).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Got any specs on the motor? Controller?

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 03-20-2010).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
That looks to be one badass motor.

Couple of questions:
Why do you still have a radiator on there (and a coolant overflow bottle)?
What do you do for brake vacuum?

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 03-20-2010).]

Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

That looks to be one badass motor.

Couple of questions:
Why do you still have a radiator on there (and a coolant overflow bottle)?
What do you do for brake vacuum?

Well this motor is water cooled like the controller will be . This is a must have item ,this motor is future stuff not a thing from the past . This car will be a enginering sample for motor and controller .

Vaccum is solved , have a detailed look on the pic where the brake booster is ................
This version i think will be maybe to much vaccum, but we will see if the car drives
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post

Torch-Red87

314 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by RCR:

Got any specs on the motor? Controller?

Bob

This is not a DC Motor , so its way different .Its 3Phase AC ....more i cant tell
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

This is not a DC Motor , so its way different .Its 3Phase AC ....more i cant tell

I assumed it was not a DC motor by the wiring conections. 3 Phase AC and Brushless DC are for the most part synonomous. I've been doing research into 3phase AC motors for a possible project, but I'll respect your secrecy.

Depending on the size of your coolant pump, I know of several that would do the job (since I designed the controllers for them).

Bob

kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Neat project That is one beefy motor I wonder how much the car's range will suffer by having the lcd on the whole trip?
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

I assumed it was not a DC motor by the wiring conections. 3 Phase AC and Brushless DC are for the most part synonomous. I've been doing research into 3phase AC motors for a possible project, but I'll respect your secrecy.

Depending on the size of your coolant pump, I know of several that would do the job (since I designed the controllers for them).

Bob

I know Assin has pumps that will do the job too. But this pump was faster to get and we will see how it do
The motor is not my development so therefore I have to do the secret . The motor are close thats true but the efficency is way better on a AC up to 95%
PFF
System Bot
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post

Torch-Red87

314 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by kwagner:

Neat project That is one beefy motor I wonder how much the car's range will suffer by having the lcd on the whole trip?

the LCD is touch screen and will provide the GUI unit to the driver
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
This looks like a very ambitious project and I really like the look and idea of a fiero EV. After seeing all the specs and information on the Tesla Roadster it is beyond me why we do not have a viable all electric commuter car. I for one think that once the public in general gets to see what a quality EV like the tesla looks and drives like it is curtains for the internal combustion engine. It is and has always been about the batteries. When we reach the point that a powerful, long lasting, and reasonably priced battery source becomes available to the average joe you will see many many more home builds and if they are smart major manufacturers will get on board. I salute Tesla motors for their ingenuity and praise their approach in designing and building a car that is not a watered down no power boring as hell prius wannabe and building a serious supercar contender. If you can do that and get adequate range then it only follows that an everyday car similar to a ford focus, honda accord, toyota camry, chevy malibu shoud really be easy. The largest and most powerful machines on the planet run off electric motors powered by diesel engines so power and speed has never really been the problem and I have watched far too many electric drag cars blow down the quarter mile to doubt any speed freaks protests. It is just a logical evolution that the same types of batteries that we rely on to power our cell phones, laptops, and all sorts of other electronic gadgets that make our modern life more enjoyable will someday be used to power our vehicles. I have already seen several production units of dirtbikes, motorcycles, and other vehicles in action and it is just a matter of time before we are driving one. I for one look forward to the day that I can install a high powered performance electronic motor in my fiero GT and it's accompanying battery pack and forget about oil changes, filters, engine rebuilds, and other high maintenance complicated parts that are necessary to make it go. I would love to be able to make the car run without a transmission and feel the smooth rush of accelleration that the tesla roadster seems to exhibit. No shifting unless you want it, no peaky motor, just a linear powerband that will take the car to speed with a quiet smooth rush. This is not Star Trek sci fi, it is real life performance and nevermind the reliability factors. They say that an electric motor in a car would only need rebuild after what would be nearly a million miles in a traditional car. This is the future and I for one look forward to it..... peace

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Pete did you get my pm?

Live long & prosper.

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 03-21-2010).]

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Yeah man I did..... sorry I have not gotten back, been busy...... had today off and been planning my trip to florida all week.

I will look at the project and see what I can do. I think others would like it as well.... Gonna be gone until the end of the month on vacation( my first in a number of years) so I will not be able to get to it until then. BTW, got any pics of your choptop? A build thread maybe? peace

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Have fun on vacation.

Back to this thread. I would love an electric Fiero, it would be perfect for me. I live 7.5 miles from work, priceless. It's a shame that it is way too expensive for me to do the conversion. The car show Passtime had an electric pickup truck and it was awesome, I couldn't believe the power it had for being electric.

Are you converting the DC to AC I assume? I guess the speed control will not be in the usual place as other Fiero since it's going to be water cooled? Great thread! Goodluck!
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Well it looks like the first shots have been fired...... check this out......

http://www.youtube.com/watc...D9GI&feature=related

and this....
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/

Beautiful car, and quick as hell too.....

BRAVO TESLA......I do not know if I can afford one at that price but I think we are seeing history here..... it is literally just a matter of time....peace

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Well it looks like the first shots have been fired...... check this out......

http://www.youtube.com/watc...D9GI&feature=related

and this....
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/

Beautiful car, and quick as hell too.....

BRAVO TESLA......I do not know if I can afford one at that price but I think we are seeing history here..... it is literally just a matter of time....peace

Tesla is about 30 minutes from my house. They are based in Palo Alto, California and if I read correctly, were one of the first companies to get a multi-million dollar grant from the government to open the manufacturing plant. Unfortunatly, a few of the execs and the developer of the energy system they use were killed a few weeks ago in a plane crash as they were leaving the Palo Alto airport.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Very sad to hear that..... I cannot believe that such a new company can exhibit such high levels of style and performance in such a short time. These guys are seriously talented engineers and that car is just another example of that. The roadster is just gorgeous and fast as hell too.... watch some of the videos on youtube of the cars in action, super smooth, super quiet, just a huge rush of pure accelleration with no peaks and no noise but the wind. This is how man was meant to travel..... beautiful!!! BRAVO TESLA!!!!
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Sad to hear of the tragedy, they are some talented folks, and pushing the envelope of what can be done with electric cars. The beauty of electric traction is its torque on demand across a fairly level range. I hope they continue on and make a system that really works beyond anyone's expectations.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 03-22-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock