Machinists: by grkboy707
Started on: 11-30-2009 09:51 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: BMTFIERO on 12-07-2009 10:52 PM
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
I remember a month or so ago, I saw a thread about a bored machinist, looking for parts to make. I searched for the thread, but couldn't find it. I couldn't think of anything then, but this just crossed my mind: a shift plate. The kind with the slots for the gears (like the fancy Italian cars).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I would like one of those also.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
That looks nice--but it's about twice as big as ya would need for a muncie.
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Might have been my thread

I looked into doing that and took some measurements, I found the Fiero pattern seemed too close for there to be any room for the "gates" between them. I will go ahead and re-measure and draw it up on MasterCam if there is interest.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

I looked into doing that and took some measurements, I found the Fiero pattern seemed too close for there to be any room for the "gates" between them. I will go ahead and re-measure and draw it up on MasterCam if there is interest.

THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!!!

Also- if you get a prototype, and produce quite a few (not sure if you can do that), you'd make a killing!
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Got a 3800 harness to build in the morning, will work on this in the afternoon or evening tomorrow. Do you need 4 speed or 5 speed ? I have both to measure from.
Rick Morehouse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MorehouseSend a Private Message to Rick MorehouseDirect Link to This Post
YEP; 4 & 5 speed-too cool-I'm in for 1 of each.
hobodude34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobodude34Send a Private Message to hobodude34Direct Link to This Post
would love 2 of them for getrag 5spd would help my girlfriend get into gears seriously lol one for her car and one for mine
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
It's a neat idea, but the pivot point on the Fiero shifter is so close to the console, the shifter lever won't really move through the gates - it just pivots in the center.
To make something like that work you have to raise up the part of the console where the shift gate mounts.

Take the shift boot off and it's easy to see how it works.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

It's a neat idea, but the pivot point on the Fiero shifter is so close to the console, the shifter lever won't really move through the gates - it just pivots in the center.
To make something like that work you have to raise up the part of the console where the shift gate mounts.

Take the shift boot off and it's easy to see how it works.

I agree....there really is no way to make the shift lever actually go into the gates...at least without binding and causing a dangerous drive. You can get one like this if you like the look. This is from member ferrobi:

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

I looked into doing that and took some measurements, I found the Fiero pattern seemed too close for there to be any room for the "gates" between them.

That's my opinion as well. I made one out of mirrored plexiglas for my Muncie when I worked as a machinist out in West Texas. The "gate fingers" were so thin, it looked terrible, and they had to be shortened as well because of the way the shift mechanism pivots off center--as has been indicated above. 5 spd may be different--I never owned one.

PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I agree....there really is no way to make the shift lever actually go into the gates...at least without binding and causing a dangerous drive. You can get one like this if you like the look. This is from member ferrobi:

Those are nice. Are they for sale?
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
I didnt get a chance to measure to see if these will work today, I will before the weekend. The fake one above would be easy if you dont really want the shifter to use the gates. I can make something like that if there is interest. PM me and I will get busy on it !
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

I didnt get a chance to measure to see if these will work today, I will before the weekend. The fake one above would be easy if you dont really want the shifter to use the gates. I can make something like that if there is interest. PM me and I will get busy on it !

Oh, that on doesn't use the gates... I didn't even realize that. But I would definitely want it to use them.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Finally took some time to go measure shifter movement on one of my Fieros today in our 20 degree heat wave !! From what I could see there is not going to be enough movement for real gates without raising the shift console about an inch. I am going to think on it and look into it more, im not giving up that easy !
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
I wonder if this shift plate would work with a f40?

[This message has been edited by BMTFIERO (edited 12-07-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock