Rubber racing lips. by Australian
Started on: 10-25-2009 06:51 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 10-27-2009 06:49 AM
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2009 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
http://www.racingrubberlip.com/lip1.html i found this site and wondered what is involved in the construction as they would look good on a gt i am wondering what esle i can use there is a Clarkes rubber store in my street at work might see what they sell too.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2009 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2009 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Isn't that what people are doing with the bottom half of the front GT bumper?
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2009 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
There's no big secret to what they've done. There's a metal bracket in the shape of an ' L ' that is under that rubber. You can buy it at most any hardware or home improvement store and it's known as 'flex bar'. When it's in the shape of an ' L ' it's actually a lot more rigid than the name implies. All the work is probably in making that bracket, as it's probably heated up and bent to shape, then holes drilled for the rivets. As I can imagine that bracket is likely cheap, it's the rubber that costs. That's a pretty thick piece and long too. It's simply a matter of shaping the bracket, drilling the holes (probably have to drill small ones in the rubber too), and then riveting them together. If you had all the materials on hand you could probably make it in a handful of hours.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I am going to use an aluminium angle and make it removable. I see on the web site www.clarkrubber.com.au
that they sell it and are actually located next door at work i just didn't get a chance as it was raining quite hard today.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

There's no big secret to what they've done. There's a metal bracket in the shape of an ' L ' that is under that rubber. You can buy it at most any hardware or home improvement store and it's known as 'flex bar'. When it's in the shape of an ' L ' it's actually a lot more rigid than the name implies. All the work is probably in making that bracket, as it's probably heated up and bent to shape, then holes drilled for the rivets. As I can imagine that bracket is likely cheap, it's the rubber that costs. That's a pretty thick piece and long too. It's simply a matter of shaping the bracket, drilling the holes (probably have to drill small ones in the rubber too), and then riveting them together. If you had all the materials on hand you could probably make it in a handful of hours.

There's a bit more to it than that...
If you'll look closely at the photos you'll note that there are Dzus fasteners on every bracket.
That thing is easily and quickly removable, but you'll have to install the mating part, (female) of the Dzus fasteners on the underside of the Fiero bodywork.
I like the air dam, but all those huge rivets on the face of it really detract from the look of it.
CogFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CogFieroGTSend a Private Message to CogFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
import guys have been doing something cheaper and effective for a while now:
http://www.importatlanta.co...highlight=home+depot
CogFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CogFieroGTSend a Private Message to CogFieroGTDirect Link to This Post

CogFieroGT

175 posts
Member since Dec 2008
aahhh, double post. delete please

[This message has been edited by CogFieroGT (edited 10-26-2009).]

IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Isn't that what people are doing with the bottom half of the front GT bumper?

Does anyone have any pic's of using the bottom half of the GT bumper mounted on a car? Thanks
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
RE: Topic: Rubber racing lips.

here they are -->
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IIKool:

Does anyone have any pic's of using the bottom half of the GT bumper mounted on a car? Thanks

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...010418-1-003439.html

Originally posted by skitime:

After getting the engine back in I started working on the bad paint. I talked to some body shop guys I decided to do a panels off paint job. I bought a new GT nose and rocker panels and had a puncture on the rear bumper professionally repaired. Here is what it looked like when I drove it to the body shop.

I had a hard decision to make. Do I keep the car stock or do I start modifying it? The decision was made by accident. The body shop had painted the rear bumper all red. They forgot there was black trim. We discussed it and decided to paint all the trim and if I did not like it then he would paint the trim black. I also saw a picture of a cool red GT with a chin spoiler. I loved the look of the spoiler so I got in contact with forum member Lawrence. Here were the pictures I had found while doing a search for Red 88 GT

I learned he made it out of an old GT nose. So I made one too except I added driving light pockets by bonding rear reflector pockets off an old GT rear bumper.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock