Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Emergency Breakdown Kits for the Trunk-What's Important?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Emergency Breakdown Kits for the Trunk-What's Important? by johnyrottin
Started on: 10-16-2009 05:33 PM
Replies: 38
Last post by: Alibi on 10-20-2009 09:12 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Like the title asks, I have seen some members with little emergency kits they keep in their trunks. Just wanted to see what people keep on hand for those days when fate frowns on us. The ignition control module is the first thing that came to my mind.

I aquired a first aid kit box that had been emptied and plan to build a Fiero First Aid kit to keep in the back. Can't remember who did this but I know someone has before. Anyway, post up your thoughts!
Cheers,
John
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Well for the V6 is the ignition module is a must. I keep 3 of them in my car.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
For tools I keep a cheep socket set, wrench set, assorted screw drivers and allen wrenches.
Spare parts are a coil, cap and rotor and an ignition module. Spark plug wire and coil wire.
Rags and windex. Oil and a jug of clean water not coolant.
Zip ties and a couple of wire connectors. Black tape, duct tape and rubber repair kit.

Tire plugs are also a good idea if you have room for a small compressor. But I don't keep one in the Fiero, but I do have one in my other car.

Most of that will fit in a canvas bag, a tool box is too big in my opinion but a bag will conform to help fit more stuff in the trunk. I have all of that stuff except the compressor loose in my trunk I need to take my own advice and get a bag.
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
a transmission
Thunderkingben

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThunderkingbenClick Here to visit Thunderkingben's HomePageSend a Private Message to ThunderkingbenDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

a transmission

a transmission roflmao irl
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
need some tool/trunkboxes

there are two toolboxes a tacklebox jumpercables and a powe inverter stuck in there.
oh and a spare ground strap!(hint its hiding under the S***** napa toolbox)

[This message has been edited by BlackGT Codde (edited 10-16-2009).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
AAA card
SNAPPY829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
A phillips screwdriver to go with the ignition module!!! Dont leave home without 'em...
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
A trailer pulling my parts car.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
AAA card, tool box with all sorts of sockets, ignition module, headlight rebuild kit, two coils, O2 sensor (needed a place to keep it), air pump and bottle of slime, jumper cables.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SNAPPY829:

A phillips screwdriver to go with the ignition module!!! Dont leave home without 'em...

I replaced my Phillips head screws with hex head screws the first time I swapped one out. Nothing worse that a stripped head when you stuck on the side of the road.
PFF
System Bot
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireDirect Link to This Post
I have wondered the same thing and believe this is a possibly a good thread if it stays on topic, OK so NOONE wants to waste thier trunk space with two tool boxes or unnecessary tools and for those of us into high performance wieght is always a concern. Im gonna try to initiate something that will help many of us out, aside from the OBVIOUS phillips and flat-heads, sockets and wrenches; let's get specific. I believe this thread will be benificial if we stick to parts that are neccesary to develop a minimal wieght and minimal size kit that will be useful in emergencies, ok I will start the list with what I know off hand. I believe a cut and paste will work best to build a streamlined kit.
10,13, 15 sockets, open and closed end wrenches
Breaker bar (with choice of measurement, but with relavent adapters i.e. if you have 3/4" u want 1/2", and 1/4" adapter)
Extensions for ratchets ( 3", 5" etc.)
#56 star shaped tool (not sure what it is called, but is for brake calipers)
Ignition Module (I know this is a common part for falure, Some other parts failure is just the owners fault for not maintainig thier vehicles)
One quart oil
One gallon Mixture of coolant/water

[This message has been edited by nightonfire (edited 10-16-2009).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:

I have wondered the same thing and believe this is a possibly a good thread if it stays on topic, OK so NOONE wants to waste thier trunk space with two tool boxes or unnecessary tools and for those of us into high performance wieght is always a concern. Im gonna try to initiate something that will help many of us out, aside from the OBVIOUS phillips and flat-heads, sockets and wrenches; let's get specific. I believe this thread will be benificial if we stick to parts that are neccesary to develop a minimal wieght and minimal size kit that will be useful in emergencies, ok I will start the list with what I know off hand. I believe a cut and paste will work best to build a streamlined kit.
10,13, 15 sockets, open and closed end wrenches
Breaker bar (with choice of measurement, but with relavent adapters i.e. if you have 3/4" u want 1/2", and 1/4" adapter)
Extensions for ratchets ( 3", 5" etc.)
#56 star shaped tool (not sure what it is called, but is for brake calipers)
Ignition Module (I know this is a common part for falure, Some other parts failure is just the owners fault for not maintainig thier vehicles)
One quart oil
One gallon Mixture of coolant/water

brake fluid

Laugh if you want----fix-a-flat

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2009 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Vise grips,cresent wrench,small knife,I have a small kit that has all needed screw drivers,torx,hexkit,phillips,straight has small rubber block that bits fit in..
8,9,10,11,12,13,14.15 combination wrenches
(TIRE KIT) FIX a FLAT,mini compressor,tire plug kit..(no spare )

Gorrilla Tape or duct tape .,piece of old radiator hose,, To repair water leak,,,small coil of electrical wire,,

this is all very compact and fits in small neato Fiero bag,Imade up !! 1module to come,,1/2 jack to come

On a trip I carry spare tire & 2 quarts water
VISE GRIPS are the most versatile of tools

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 10-16-2009).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

AAA card

and a cellphone.
Hop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HopSend a Private Message to HopDirect Link to This Post
Some years ago someone ( I apologize for not being able to give proper credit) posted a picture of a Fiero V-6 engine and labeled all the visible parts. If anyone still has access to that posting would you please add it here? Was not trying to hi jack the topic, just help in identifying some of the parts that are being talked about.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I use a I Phone. That way I can look up the tow number before I call it.

If my car was that unreliable that I had to carry that many parts or toolsI would have gotten rid of it long ago.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 10-17-2009).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
A cellphone and VISA card

------------------

The Black Widow Site

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I use a I Phone. That way I can look up the tow number before I call it.

If my car was that unreliable that I had to carry that many parts or toolsI would have gotten rid of it long ago.

LOL you were never a boyscout were you
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
i dont really use those toolboxes as my repair tools. actually ive never used them for repair. yet
the only thing i keep them back there for is because my college doesnt have a pace to put them.
so i have to lug around 150 lbs of tools and junk so that i can go to school
but i do carry a gallon of coolant on the spare tire tarp strapped in and the tools do make me
feel more comfortable. i probably should buy an ignition module and keep it in a plastic bag in the glovebox.
i know for a fact that electronix dont like two things... autozone and moisture.

------------------

drive it like you stole it! yesterday!

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

LOL you were never a boyscout were you

I was a Cub Scout. I the uniform sucked but stayed till I got my Knife.

No it comes down to the point that if my car may fail on the road I fix it before it fails. It is a lot easier to fix it at home than on the side of the road. Belts and hoses look bad or old I replace them. The module has more the
50 K replace it. Car cranks slow I replace the battery then not when it will not start. Tires worn out replace them. Muffler has major rust replace it. Wheel bearing starts to make noise replace it. It is also safer to do at home than on the side of the road too.

I am the same way at a race I unload ready to run. I find it odd for many to work in the dirt at the track when they have a nice garage at home. I only do repairs and adjustments as needed.

The key is preventive maintanence. By doing that I seldom have a road side issue. If it is something that is not preventable usally you will need a phone anyway as you're not going to fix in in a parking lot anyway.

I did bring the Fiero home the other day with a bad lock up converter selinoid. I just chose a way home with few stops and kicked into neutral to keep rolling. That was something I was not going to fix on the road anyway.

I guess am always prepared just I do it before the problem not after.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 10-17-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post
Blahblahblah, but this thread is about the "sh*t happens" moments in life and how people prepare for them, not how your impeccable maintenance skills would make the world live in harmony and peace.

More suggestions on what to carry, please. I'm still new to the Fiero world, so I'm working out the kinks in my car's reliability. Already been stranded once during a test drive and I'd prefer that to never happen again.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
I carry a ratchet set and some assorted Allen wrenches and screwdrivers and pliers in a red road trip bag with a few of the miscellaneous parts that can fail rotor cap ignition module. I have to agree with Hyper v6 though 100% its easier to keep up on a cars maintainance then chase it down due to lack of timely repairs. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure applies to cars too.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 10-17-2009).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
fire extinguisher
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
LOL....fire extinguisher...it would be a good one to carry...isn't that great irony!

I actually had a V-6 AC compressor freeze and the belt kept turning....heat-friction-fire. Pulled into someones driveway, looked, saw the flames on the belt...bucket of water....splash...fire out.

Now, in retrospect....aren't those the cars that always catch fire and explode with the force of a megaton warhead? Can't beineve I didn't hear that question. LOL
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2009 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
My kit is small except for a fire extinguisher. I have a regular and phillips head screwdriver, ign module (w/correct nut driver), coil, 10mm wrench, vise-grips, a few diff size hose clamps, some short pieces of tubing (to patch hoses), electrical/ duct tape, small roll of electrical wire, small roll of bailing wire. I keep it all in a small zipper bag. Also good idea to always have spare belts up with the spare tire. Correct size belts can be replaced in emergency without loosening any belts...you put it on pulleys as far as you can using screwdriver as a pry bar, then bumping the starter will pop it on.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 10-18-2009).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2009 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Case of Yuengling Lager for roadside assistance.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2009 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GS Jon:

Blahblahblah, but this thread is about the "sh*t happens" moments in life and how people prepare for them, not how your impeccable maintenance skills would make the world live in harmony and peace.

More suggestions on what to carry, please. I'm still new to the Fiero world, so I'm working out the kinks in my car's reliability. Already been stranded once during a test drive and I'd prefer that to never happen again.

Screw Drivers, Vise Grips , Tape, Wire, Jumper Cable. Cell Phone, Flairs so you are not struck and killed by some idiot on his cell phone. Other than that there is little that will do you good on the side of the road. Let face it there is a limit to what you can fix out there.

Also it depends where your cars issues lie. What is unreliable? Carry the tools for area you having issues with.

I also have learned the tricks to keeping a wounded car on the road to get it home. Things like driving without the clutch, no brakes and other issues. Just like the when I brought the Fiero in with a stuck lock up converter selinoid..
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2009 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I carry the tools needed to do just about any reasonable road side repair, though fortunately have not had much need to.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2009 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I like to keep someone around that can push .

I have a little tool box in the car. In it is a 1/4 ratchet, Sockets from 7-14mm, an 8 inch extension, vice grips, flat head, and Phillips ( needed the Phillips this morning, and it had wandered to the house somehow). I had my welding pliers that included a hammer, and the various stuff I needed, but I noticed this morning that my wife had liberated them as well, and they are in her trunk >_<.

Spare Module, power inverter, laptop, are what I usually have on hand. I am no mechanic ( you guys that have met me know ), there is nothing like someone who has memory lapses when he gets stressed trying to work on a hot engine on the side of the road . It is far less dangerous if I call for help. There is a great support network here in SW Missouri.

My car gets regular maintenance, but it is still 25 years old. Parts break, I can't predict what will break next, but I bet it'll cost more than I have in the bank account.

Brad
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
Flashlight, 1 or 2 clean grease rags, thermal grease for ignition module and a few small sqaures of medium grade sandpaper
for any electrical connectors/contacts where you might find corrosion, rust, etc...

Oh, and a jacket for when the weather turns unexpectedly cold.

Kit
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ive broken a clutch yoke and had to drive home shifting without the clutch before. Also had to drive one of the vettes home on the freeway with a failed brake master cylinder (downshifted auto to slow down). Timed the few stop lites I had so I didnt have to stop. Luckily traffic was light and no idiots cut me off.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ive broken a clutch yoke and had to drive home shifting without the clutch before. Also had to drive one of the vettes home on the freeway with a failed brake master cylinder (downshifted auto to slow down). Timed the few stop lites I had so I didnt have to stop. Luckily traffic was light and no idiots cut me off.

I have flown some wounded bird in too.

Some of them have been my own. I too lost a hub on my clutch in my 68 SS Chevelle. I am also glad I learned how to shift without a clutch as it got me home. I too timed the lights and down shifts and made it the last 15 miles. I also lost brakes on my 63 Ford. It had a good e brake and it was not an issue to get it to my work to fix it.

Now I have driven some customer cars too that I never knew how I got them where I was going. I loved the challange.
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
A 6 pack and a bible.
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
everything in your garage and the kitchen sink
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
A large tool box with 3/8" and 1/4 in sockets, open end wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, breaker bar, vinyl gloves, hand cleaner, raincoat, small tarp, TWO fire extingusihers, spare belts, duct tape, electrical tape and flat tire repair kit. My laptop OBD2 scanner/editor also sits behind the seat to be used on a moments notice, Thats for a trip in my 3800SC. When I take the 3.4L out I add the igniton module to the spare parts list.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I have a portable 3 in one jumpstarter/compressor/mainspower/ this has come in handy.
Fierfly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyDirect Link to This Post
I find it is most helpful to keep my mechanic in my trunk.... I take him with me everywhere my Fiero goes.

------------------
A good man is hard to find...but a good Fiero mechanic is Priceless.

Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I haven't actually bought it yet, but I'm going to pick up a cheap 50 piece tool kit from WalMart. Granted the tools are cheap quality, but it comes in compact case and if it gets stolen its no big loss. I figure if I need the tools, I'll only need them to work once and its not like I'm going to be doing any major work on the side of the road anyway. The small tool cases are slim enough to slide behind the passenger seat.

Otherwise I'd carry the following:

-fire extinguishers (one in the cabin, one in spare tire area). I have yet to need one on my own cars, but so far I've stopped another persons car fire along side the road.
-vice grips
-extra coil and ignition module(s)
-Jug of water
-Pry bar w/ 19mm deep socket (stock lug wrench is too big to get at the lugs in my aftermarket wheels)
-mini air compressor

Most of this stuff will fit into a small canvas bag in the trunk or behind the passenger seat so it doesn't take up that much room. It doesn't hurt to have the cell numbers for a few local members too

Oh, and one more invaluable thing: Goog 411. Its a *free* number to call to get information about practically any business you need (google runs it). Its voice activated, so just tell it what city and state you need a service in and then tell it what business you need (tow truck, parts, dealership, food, hotels, specific store name like NAPA or whatever) and it looks up local places for you and lists them off so you can either call them or get their address to find them. Super, super, awesome.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock