Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Red River Ruckus caravan thread (and a movie night)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Red River Ruckus caravan thread (and a movie night) by blakeinspace
Started on: 10-04-2009 01:35 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: blakeinspace on 10-08-2009 12:09 PM
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
This is for any Ruckus attendees that would like to caravan down to Baytown together... remember there is strength and fun in numbers. I used to add safety to that mantra... but I have been busted 3 times in Fiero cruises (Comal County Round-Up, Kerrville Ruckus, Gatesville 1 night stand)... so that maxim is either obviously false --or I have the worst luck with the Po-Po ever. Well, maybe JScott or CliffW...

Originally, I had thought a jaunt from Alvaredo to Waco... then State 6 over would be kinda fun... but after talking to AutoMark and Zach and Jim... Not to mention Poe... It is just not as feasible for them to come so far West, just to turn around and diagonal East... You see they would be coming in from Lewisville, Plano, and Greenville respectively. So I am suggesting we meet at the Whataburger right off I-45 in Ennis... say at 1000? (Friday) earlier?... later?

meet up

(NOTE: this IS NOT the same Whataburger we met at for the Lufkin Ruckus caravan!)

After a quickie... (meal you pervs) We make our way to Crockett for lunch using the same twisty route we used for the Lufkin Ruckus. After Crockett, we skirt the National Forest, cross Lake Livingston to Point Blank (where Ruckus host Josef lives), Drive through the heart of the Sam Houston National Forest to Cleveland (where our other Ruckus host mj lives) and then come down to I-10 just slightly East of the hotel, and hopefully well outside the sphere of Houston traffic. Probable ETA would be about 1600, so that should give us plenty of time to check in and make trouble, err plans, for possible Friday night activities. I think drag racing had been mentioned.

Now that is 1 possibilty.

Another idea that sounds intriguing... probably about the same length of time... is to take I-45 a bulk of the way, exiting in Huntsville. There we could see 'Old Sparky'... and tour the prison museum. Something I've kinda always wanted to see...
http://www.txprisonmuseum.org/index.html
After that... we could still cut through the heart of the SH National Forest, coming into Cleveland from the West and then pick up the same road to get us just East of the hotel.

These ideas are just me playing around with google maps and my backroads of Texas & Texas Highways books. If you have some suggestions... please feel free to post them up. The route has already changed twice... 1 to accomodate our Eastern members, and again to not send Tom Slick and I so far out of way to meet at a Whataburger in Wilmer-Hutchins.

------

Movie Night... all are welcome to come out to Arlington, Wed October 7th for 'Zombieland.' We'll do supper in the vacinity of the Parks Mall, which is where the AMC theater is. We'll probably do another Movie Night when the next SAW installment comes out. Open to resturaunt ideas... lots to eat on in the area.

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Sam Houston's grave is in Huntsville about 3 blocks off of 190/Hwy 30, exit 116 off of I45. 190/Hwy 30 will take you threw historic downtown Huntsville.

There is a 67ft statue of Sam Houston at marker 109 on IH 45. Illuminated up at night ,it looks pretty neet. Sam is the second largest free standing statue in the US --only bested by the Statue of Liberty.

There is a Golden Coral a few blocks off of the freeway, a few extra blocks laterbehind the Tractor Supply Store there is a pretty darned good BBQ place. I don't remember the name right now.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-04-2009).]

F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
I wish we were with you but I have to go from another part of Texas. So I wish you all best of luck and a safe and trouble free trip. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
Oh sure take me thru middle of Ennis, I'm bound to get a ticket
for an expired inspection sticker. Thanks Blake...
revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:
There is a 67ft statue of Sam Houston at marker 109 on IH 45. Illuminated up at night ,it looks pretty neet. Sam is the second largest free standing statue in the US --only bested by the Statue of Liberty.

close 4th
http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...in_the_United_States

I just saw the Dallas Zoo's giraffe statue ! MAN it is huge as well!!

Blake needs to inspect his car as well AND I think the registration as well

The Austin Fiero Club will be heading out early sat morn for baytown. no frills trip.(saving all my excitment for the Rucks )
Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
I have no idea when I get off work that day. I'll see what I can do. I plan to stay at my mom's house in Mo City. I might make drag racing if I get there in time.

------------------

"Semper Fiero"

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
My car is going downhill fast been trying to figure out my high
Nox values. I seafoam my car today and when I finished I
got two CEL codes (35 & 45) at this rate I'll have to take the
suburban to RRR.
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by revin:

The Austin Fiero Club will be heading out early sat morn for baytown. no frills trip.(saving all my excitment for the Rucks

Sorry I reduced the AUSTIN Fiero club by one today.

------------------
Why fight to be accepted by people you don't actually want to be like?

AutoMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarkSend a Private Message to AutoMarkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jarhead 2m4:

I have no idea when I get off work that day. I'll see what I can do. I plan to stay at my mom's house in Mo City. I might make drag racing if I get there in time.

Man O Man... Jarhead... thought we were suppose to race! What is this "might" stuff? You worried bout my 2.8 screamin demon??? LOL
Fierosmith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosmithSend a Private Message to FierosmithDirect Link to This Post
Blake, All

10am sounds good to me for Whataburger/Ennis. I should be in the area about that time. I can follow you all down, for a while, on I-45.
Course I'll be pulling a trailer, but that wont stop my fun....

See ya'll then.

Jim
revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

Wow you bought that!?!?!?
So how "bad" is it? sounded like tons of work to be done.
PFF
System Bot
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
back to our regularly schedule programming, MOVIE NIGHT...
we'll be meeting (5:30ish) and eating at Jimmie Johns sandwich shop
next (west) to Costco on Matlock. we'll then proceed to the Parks Mall
to see the 7:30 showing.

c'yall...
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by revin:

The Austin Fiero Club will be heading out early sat morn for baytown. no frills trip.(saving all my excitment for the Rucks

Maine=Rust=Parts car

AutoMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarkSend a Private Message to AutoMarkDirect Link to This Post
Tom - I'll be there Wedensday... Maybe with 1-2 addtional...
Blake - PM sent on possible route down WHICH includes see n old sparky!!! They offer picture in the cell with a stripped shirt! Sounds like a GREAT NTFC pic!!! Ha!
fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2009 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
Getting your pic in old sparky sounds like a blast. Can't wait to see the pics. Hopefullly there wont be a state trooper in the parking lot taking too much interest in some of the Fieros.
I don't want to detract from the main subject here BUUUTTTTT (it does have to do with the caravan, in a way)....Anyone in the DFW area taking a vehicle large enough to take an extra pair of seats to Joe? I know he will be taking a car large enough to take them home but IF anyone is taking a side trip by his house, I'm sure he would appreciate getting them ASAP.

------------------
Why fight to be accepted by people you don't actually want to be like?

blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoMark:

Blake - PM sent on possible route down WHICH includes see n old sparky!!! They offer picture in the cell with a stripped shirt! Sounds like a GREAT NTFC pic!!! Ha!

routes look good, we'll decide on Wed @ supper. One thing to consider though is time... that was why I presented an either/or option. If we leave around 1000... we want to get in 1600-1700... (check in, unwind, coordinate supper, make evening plans, beer run )... so not sure that windy+twisty would give us much time in the museum. From Ennis, both of my original options make for a 6-7 hour trip... historically, that seems to be a good range... every Fiero seems to have a reason that going too far beyond that is uncomfortable. Hot motors, droning exhaust, lack of CC, lack of AC, rough ride, reliability, arthritis ... all that seems to get compunded the longer the journey. That and most of us will have at least 1 hour already under our belts just getting to Ennis.

As for Old Sparky. You sure about that pic?... I'd like to know where you read that. It is my understanding that Sparky is behind a rail, controversial, and in his own room. Maybe you could get a photo with us in the foreground and the chair in the background? I dunno... even then, it would all depend if the caravan wants to stop there.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Blake a picture of you behind bars would be priceless.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-06-2009).]

AutoMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarkSend a Private Message to AutoMarkDirect Link to This Post
The route I was lookin at is in that range... 6hr 29 min.... But whatever... And pic is not in old sparky (read up), but in a cell with a real uniform / striped shirt...

Link to were I found info is - http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7814

Part of the article -
You can have your picture taken in a real 9' x 6' jail cell at the Museum, and for three bucks you can borrow a striped prisoner shirt for that authentic Big House atmosphere. The manager complained to us: "We thought that this would be for kids, but the ratio of adults to kids is 4 to 1. I had twelve district attorneys in here, and they all wanted pictures AND a group shot."

Museum info - Texas Prison Museum
Address:491 State Hwy. 75 North, Huntsville, TX
Directions:I-45 exit 118. The museum is on the frontage road, east side.
Hours:May-Oct M-Sa 10-6 Su noon-5; Oct-May M-Sa 10-5 Su noon-5 (Call to verify)
Phone:936-295-2155
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

This is for any Ruckus attendees that would like to caravan down to Baytown together... remember there is strength and fun in numbers.

Call me when you get close to I-10.
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Blake a picture of you behind bars woulds be priceless.

Might not have to go to the museum to get it.
fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
Not to get off subject but you do have a good point!

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

Might not have to go to the museum to get it.

PFF
System Bot
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2009 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Jimmie Johns is just a little ways down on Matlock, near Costco... (according to Tom Slick)...

see y'all there.
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2009 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Looks like we will be going 'twisty' on the way down. BRING YOUR FSR RADIOS! (and batteries )

Rain probability is VERY high. That coupled with the fact that I am on deferred until October 23 means we will be fairly conservative.

For the Sunday return... all Ruckus attendees heading West are welcome to join me to a trip to the 'Car Art Museum' of Houston. It is right off of I-10 where I-45 can take us North. I would hope Sunday traffic should be fairly light.

This place looks fantastic!
http://www.discoveramerica..../art-car-museum.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArtCar_Museum

AutoMark and I may also stop in Huntsville on Sunday and check out the Prison Museum. Any/All are welcome of course to join us for that also.

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?

[This message has been edited by blakeinspace (edited 10-08-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock