Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The complete ground up, in and out rebuild of a 86GT with 4.9 Auto. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
The complete ground up, in and out rebuild of a 86GT with 4.9 Auto. by TEXASGT
Started on: 09-22-2009 04:03 AM
Replies: 55
Last post by: stickpony on 10-18-2009 01:45 PM
TEXASGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2009 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
As some of you may know I bought a 86 GT with a 4.9 Auto from a former member and close to me in Austin. I'm in Sunny Houston. Since I had been out of the Fiero game since the late 90's I was happy to buy one that was "advertised" as "finished" and with a "complete" motor swap. Well to say the least thats far far far very far from the truth. I'm not calling the PO a liar. I just don't think he disclosed all the important details about what this GT needed. Let me tell you boys and girls it needed a lot! So I am going to start by adding pictures and text to show what I have been doing to get this beast ready so I can finally drive it. I have almost sold this GT 3 times now and wanted to throw the towel in. Its been a hard uphill battle. I am thankful for this forum and I am very grateful to the following members, Sanderson, ccfiero350, Mickey Mouse and Pualv and I'm sure a few others. I have busted knuckles, hurt my back, smashed fingers, cut arm, caught a face full of gas and other things I'm sure I cant or don't want to remember. There was so much wrong with the 4.9 install and just about every other thing you can think of with this car. I wish I knew then what I know now as I would of drove straight to Dallas and had Steven (mustangs Beware) build be a mean 3.8 Supercharged. I have spent thousands getting this car to where it needs to be and I still got a long road to go. Not including the price I paid for the car.

I'll start tomorrow by adding pictures and text to help you get an idea where I had to start with and what I've gone through. Its been a long nightmarish road for me!

[This message has been edited by TEXASGT (edited 09-23-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Eclipse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to this read...

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2009 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
HaNG in there. I'm still at work. I'll post some pics soon...
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2009 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
The day I aqlmost didn't make it home. The car was running so badly and the brakes didn't really work. No heat, no wipers a very bad alignment, so bad it fact it was hard to control over 60 mph and a very bad leaking exhaust. Had to keep the windows open as not to pass out. The Fiero, after 75 miles wound not stay running. I wish I knew this before I drove 180 miles home... BUT I did make it home OK. The motor would die as soon as I came to a stop light and it was a ***** to get it started again. Luck for me it was I-10 the whole way home. The PO did call and check on me to make sure i made it home or didn't die going over 60 LOL but he did call.

Here is a picture from the next day. I finally had a chance to look it over and started to find things wrong and oh boy did I find a lot wrong. dirty ass HELL!

Mind you this thread will be in specif order. So hang in there with me.

Boy the paint looked good at night LOL, not so good during the day or in direct light!

1st thing to do is find out why it wont stay running. I had asked some question on the forum and PM some folks directly. Sanderson, ccfiero350 and Mickey Moose were just very helpful. Others told me to take a hike or just didn't reply... Another person said " If I didn't build it for you, I don't got time for you" I even offered to pay for his advice. He hung up on me! So I got very discouraged at first. I was shocked that only 1 Houston member was willing to help me, let alone get involved. "ccfiero350" has really come through for me and has asked for nothing in return. A night of drinks and eats for him whenever he says so!!! I feel like some in the Fiero community are very guarded and not very open. Like the 4.9 is some top secret install. Fellas (and YOU know who you are) its time to let go of your reservations and help the fellow members.

Moving On!

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2009 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Ok Now for the wiring harness or wiring mess!!!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TEXASGT:
I was shocked that only 1 Houston member was willing to help me, let alone get involved. "ccfiero350" has really come through for me and has asked for nothing in return. A night of drinks and eats for him whenever he says so!!! I feel like some in the Fiero community are very guarded and not very open. Like the 4.9 is some top secret install. Fellas (and YOU know who you are) its time to let go of your reservations and help the fellow members.

I'm glad to hear you have made progress. I'm sorry that I didn't have time to help you. I have two (or three) non-running Fieros that I haven't touched in 6 months. And I didn't do my 4.9 install so I'm not sure how much help I would be...in fact I might be needing your help. Houston is so spread out and diverse that the Fiero scene has dissolved into chaos. I'm hoping that it turns around soon and a new club is formed. Maybe I can then find time to get my cars running.

Nice build thread you have going. I'm looking forward to seeing your car someday.
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2009 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
I'm a DIY kinda guy but when I need help I'll ask the pros. When I get back in the house I'll keep the photos coming. On my way up to take more.

Now the wiring harness NIGHTMARE!!! I was told the harness was done by Injection Technology. This to me looks more like a home grown harness. So I stripped the harness and follow the notes on here, replaced about 10 wires from either being burnt, cut or going no where. It just didnt make sense. It was like the harness was just thrown on top of the motor and hooked up. YUCK. Well see for your self...

As you can see its a mess. The motor wont run right and the Check Light isn't on. why you ask? Because it wasn't hooked up! WOO HOO lets take the harness off again.

This was a joke. He just punched a hole through the firewall for the harness and mounted the ECM all kind of jack up! I have now patched and remounted the ECM. Who does work like this. I mean come on! Take a minute!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks even better now that its in loom and heat shrunk.

He is a shot of the finished product.

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2009 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Gotta Love them back tires! Can't remember but i'm pretty sure the craigslist ad said good tires! I think not. I also hate the rims so I got news ones. Not mounted yet but their coming.

BARF!

I hate these rims!

Anyone want them? I know they cost a lot new. $100 and you can have them! You just gotta clean them.

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2009 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
The next time I buy a fiero, I wont do it in the dark!

Missing the rear fender well...

Lucky for me Pualv has shipped me out one today.
PFF
System Bot
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2009 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Cant you believe this thing passed inspection! Wipers not working, Headlights wont go up or down, No directionals, tires are shot and a missing wheel well... Well good thing I got a hook up at the local shop. It never would of passed!

[This message has been edited by TEXASGT (edited 09-22-2009).]

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
The PO cut the trunk and made a new bottom. He didn't even weld it back together. I think he used tub chalking. Its a joke so I have to do some welding tomorrow.

Can you believe this!!! Look at the space from the weight of the battery.

He also put the battery in the trunk. Tub calking and the weight of a battery. What a great combo! Who in their right mind???

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Next thing to do is rebuild the pulley system. As you can see here its cocked to the right. Not a good job by any means. Very thin metal was used to build this pulley set up. I am having a stronger unit built and should be in this weekend.

I'm sure Revin will be along to drop his two cents on the PO!!!

LOL

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
The headlights don't work for anything. I never liked the 84 - 86 system. So I bought a 88 set up on here from another member. Installed in about 2 hours using cliff's write up. I was a little bummed out when I got the lights and saw how rusted the backing plated were. So I used 60% of my old parts and his 88 motors and harness. Bad news again. The motors both failed with in a few weeks of being installed. So now I have replaced both motors with Auto Zone ones. I believe Cardone 49-102 and 49-103. With my Auto Zone card I ended up paying about $75 per side. The member who I bought them from has refunded me with out question. He is a straight up guy!

He is the install. You can see the rust. They now have been removed again. Stripped and painted. I'll get the new pics posted asap.

At the same time I wanted to buy the hella 90mm setup but I didn't want to wait months to get it and spend $$$$ of money so I built my own Hi beam Lo Beam HID system. Yes its Hi beam and Low beam HID. It was an easy install. I drilled two 1' holes for the wires to run through. I used mini ballast and mounted them with shock absorbing two sided tape and two screws per unit. I can get these very cheap. It included the headlight replacement housing and HID system. I have a wholesale store I go to and he really hooks me up. The shipping time is about 2 weeks. well worth the wait.

Lo Beam

Hi Beam

Another Hi Beam shot

Another Lo Beam

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Oh the famous dash crack! Anyone know a fix for this? If not I'll have it patched and painted.

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by jscott1:

I'm glad to hear you have made progress. I'm sorry that I didn't have time to help you. I have two (or three) non-running Fieros that I haven't touched in 6 months. And I didn't do my 4.9 install so I'm not sure how much help I would be...in fact I might be needing your help. Houston is so spread out and diverse that the Fiero scene has dissolved into chaos. I'm hoping that it turns around soon and a new club is formed. Maybe I can then find time to get my cars running.

Nice build thread you have going. I'm looking forward to seeing your car someday.

JScott, you can come by anytime. I love working on cars.
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
So I decided to rip the joke of a exhaust systems that made no sense as far as how it was set up. The rear manifold came out and the PO welded it on the the top of the muffler. So it entered the top of the muffler. It gave the car a bad raspy sound when reving. The weld was leaking so badly and for the most part sounded like crap. Think 4.9 with no muffler! I couldn't even stand next to it with out getting a headache. The local custom shop buld me a new magnaflow system with some nice 4" dual tips. It came out very nice and sounds awesome.

Here are some finished pics...

And a Video of my new magnaflow system.

http://video.cardomain.com/...layer.aspx?id=708709

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Now the wiring harness NIGHTMARE!!! I was told the harness was done by Injection Technology. This to me looks more like a home grown harness. So I stripped the harness and follow the notes on here, replaced about 10 wires from either being burnt, cut or going no where. It just didnt make sense. It was like the harness was just thrown on top of the motor and hooked up. YUCK. Well see for your self...

From looking at the wrap used on the harness it is an injection Tech harness. And the way the swap looked is about what most 4.9 swaps look like when they are done unless someone took the time to really clean it up.

Good to see you stuck with the car and are working thru the issues. Hate to see someone buy someone else's headache and get turned off from the car cause of it.

And never go look at a car over 40 miles away at night with the intent to buy and not have a trailer. People will say what ever is needed when they know someone is coming a long distance to possibly buy a car. I have made a few 4 hour trips only to return empty handed cause the car was not what is was supposed to be.

Looking forward to seeing the car at the Ruckus this year.
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
Next to do was fix all the gauges that didn't work. I never liked the stock Aux gauges so I replaced them with Prosport gauges and I am very pleased with the end result. The factory gauges look very outdated. I custom built the gauge pod and had some black ABS plastic cut. I also added a alternator warning light as to know if the alternator failed and to keep the field signal working. I bought the light from AutoZone. $4. Drilled a small hole and soldered it up. I also painted the Aux pod factory gray using Dupli-color part number HVP111. I think this is closer than using the Fiero stores paint. The color is dead on! Also added a coat of clear for plastic by Dulpi-Color. It looks like new!

Notice how the bezel matches the factory speedo cover gray or silver.

Here is the gauges in action. Start up and key on. I think it makes the fiero look very up to date. i will be replacing the tach and speedo as well with the same ones.

http://video.cardomain.com/...layer.aspx?id=708705

Here is the page for the gauges. I have no problem sharing!

http://prosportgauges.com/a...formance_gauges.aspx

If you listen closely you can here my new 255 LPH fuel pump. I get them here in Houston for $60 and its plug and play! Turbochargers.com great people to deal with. i forgot the part number as its not listed for the fiero. I'll get that tomorrow.

Here you go.

Also had to get a Prosport oil filter sandwich plate for the oil pressure sender to go into.

Bad pic of it, I'll get a new one posted. Its the blue plate.

Prosport oil filter sandwich plate part number, (I forgot) Here is a link instead.

http://prosportgauges.com/o...r-adaptor-plate.aspx

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Next thing to do was rip out the old steering wheel. It was falling apart and sticky as hell. It looked like it was from WW2. It had to go.

I bought a Grant wheel from Auto Zone. It took 3 weeks to get here. Again I like the end result and i think the color fits the factory gray 100%

This shot shows how well the gray or silver meets the factory speedo plate.

since I get asked this once a week. The Pontiac horn button is from grant as well. The part number is
Product Code: GRT-5655
Manufacturer: Grant Products
UPC: 81126056553

PFF
System Bot
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
She sounded pretty on startup. Those gauges look great too. Keep it moving!
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
Next was to rip out the POS Ebay racing seat the PO installed with only 1 bolt. Thats right kids. 1 bolt. Didnt recline, didn't move forward or backward. Just Ebay crap.I bought a pair of almost new seats from ccfiero350 for around $60 for the set. I need to clean them and put them back together, but not a tear or wear spot on them. The camera flash make them look funny but trust me they are like new!

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Next was to rip apart the Le Barron brake system. The car had almost NO brakes. I almost died on the way home. Car pulled out in front of me and I hit the brakes hard. Straight to the floor. I about **** myself. So the first thing to so is replace the master cylinder with a larger bore. Advanced Auto part number 10-2352. You MUST bench bleed this before you install it. Otherwise you will never get the system bled.

He is a pic of the old rotors installed.

Here is a pic of the new rotors I had built by my buddy's machine shop in Houston. He did all my Supra motor work. He does custom brakes as well. (Not yet installed) and yes they are Le Barron rotors.

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Looking forward to seeing the car at the Ruckus this year.

You Chuck and myself are going to throw a few back and tell some stories. I am trying like hell to get this done. We shall see. Either way I'll be going to the event.
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Well it looks like Xmas came early this year. My new 18" Rims came via UPS today and I must say again I think I made a good choice!!! I looked at 19" and 20" and they look ridiculous on the fiero!

Its got a pretty good lip on it.

And my new center cap inserts. Almost looks factory.

VSR Rims
Part# VS1880-1

[This message has been edited by TEXASGT (edited 09-24-2009).]

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Now its time to Rip off the broken fast back windows and start getting the body ready for the paint shop. Well they will do most of the work but i'll be taking off the odds and ends to keep the cost down and make sure they don't miss a spot and no over spray. I'm an ass when it comes to paint and body... I sent my Supra back 3 times to paint until they got it right!

New ones from Ebay. Tinted and look pretty good. Feel a little thin for my liking but it will have to do.

Here is what they look like. Not to shabby. Mine are tinted...

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008

As you can see from this picture the 'PONTIAC" lights do not work. Not a fuse but a burnt wire by a soldering iron I believe. Who knows! I fixed the wires and use 5W 194 LED's

WOW o WOW what a difference. Its stupid bright. I'll post that up tomorrow.

5W 194 LED can be found on Ebay.
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
The headliner guy will be here tomorrow. Now this is a great deal. Removed the headliner and all material. Rebuild the backing, new glue, carpet (any color) new sunroof seals and trim. Get ready for this! $200 installed all the same day. If anyone in Houston needs his info let me know. He is a mobile guy and comes to you. 1 year warranty on his work.
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
So now its time for the Audio to get a serious update.

My god the factory speakers sound awful! I got the idea for the sub from another member. Everything I bought local and got just a smokin deal on everything.

4x10

4x6

Sub woofer for under the seat or dashboard. Not sure yet where it will go. Sound very good. 8" Low profile

Same stuff as dynamat but prob 75% cheaper. Worked very good in my 4Runner. Its so quiet now I could fall asleep!

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Just got more things in the mail today. Its Xmas all over again. Woo Hoo!

I'll get these installed this weekend.

PFF
System Bot
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post

TEXASGT

736 posts
Member since Jan 2008
I never like the cooling of the Fiero. So I added a low temp thermostat. I think its around 180* and I believe the fans come on at 185* I could be wrong but it in that range. The factory fan being 25 years old doesn't impress me much. Having run a Supra with high boost (24 PSI) and a tendency to get really hot, I had a electric fan set up for the 94+ Supra. I never used it so I check to see if it would fit the fiero. It fights right into the fiero fan opening and looks almost stock. I say almost because the you can clearly see the brand name on it. I believe its a 4000 CFM or close to that. When it comes on you can hear it moving some air... Oh Well its cools way better. Also I used a bottle of water wetter! I swear by this stuff. Get one and put it in your system. I can say it has alone dropped my temps 6*.

I get the install pic's up soon

ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
did you win the lottery? :P
nice build! keep up the great work!! nice rotors too
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

I never like the cooling of the Fiero. So I added a low temp thermostat. I think its around 180* and I believe the fans come on at 185* I could be wrong but it in that range. The factory fan being 25 years old doesn't impress me much. Having run a Supra with high boost (24 PSI) and a tendency to get really hot, I had a electric fan set up for the 94+ Supra. I never used it so I check to see if it would fit the fiero. It fights right into the fiero fan opening and looks almost stock. I say almost because the you can clearly see the brand name on it. I believe its a 4000 CFM or close to that. When it comes on you can hear it moving some air... Oh Well its cools way better. Also I used a bottle of water wetter! I swear by this stuff. Get one and put it in your system. I can say it has alone dropped my temps 6*.
I get the install pic's up soon

I had tried a 180*, a thermo without the center, and no thermostat. I got best performance and fuel mileage with the factory reccommended 192* The ECM is programmed to work best at 192. If you run the 180, cooler thermostat, you are costing yourself bucks every mile you drive. The differance between 180 and a 192 was 4 MPG. Ya only gotta 10 gal tank. You just lost 40 + miles range. Also you are running the fan more than is needed at 185 cool down temp. Putting a strain on the altenator and the fan. This also puts demand on the altenator, causing resistance, and more $ per driven mile.

Dont get me wrong. I love what you are doing to the car and applaud you for all of your efforts. But this one change I dont reccommend. They had good reasons to use the 192*.
Joe Crawford

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-23-2009).]

exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

TexasGT you are kicking a** on this project ! Great job. I love how you are bringing this car back to life, where so many others might have just chucked it.

Sorry the way it happened, but you have really made the best of the situation. Can't wait to see it when it is done !

BTW those wheels are bada** !!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
It is like Xmas with all those new toys!

I have 2 1/2 weeks to make my car Ruckus-able. I have to flush my coolant and fix my idle, (which has been giving me grief since I went manual transmission). But my build is nothing like this.

Keep it coming!

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear that you are getting it all worked out. Don't feel too bad about how the wiring was when you got it - I have seen a 4.9 swap that was way worse off (none of the wires were in a loom and they were run every which way the person felt like it at the time - so there were a lot of single wires laying across the top, some were ran tight because they didn't want to lengthen them). And don't get me started on exhaust.

I have found that there are a good number of people out there that start an engine swap that:

1) get in way over thier heads
2) it is taking longer than the weekend to do it and get bored of it and either, try to finish it whatever way they can (not caring) or don't bother with it anymore.
3) lazy...

I have personally seen 5 cars like this (and know of at least 3 more).

Anyways, you will get it all worked out eventually, the worest part is trying to deal/fix with someone else's screw ups.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-23-2009).]

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2009 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
Jscott if you any of the above parts my guy is right in Houston off 59 south and no not Harwin LOL. I think the HID Hi - Lo would look awesome in your car. Any of the parts listed above I can get at a very good doscount. I think its like 5% above cost. If you need some help just ask. Now that I'm ok with the Fiero and its IS much more simple than a Supra. Trust me!
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Good to hear that you are getting it all worked out. Don't feel too bad about how the wiring was when you got it - I have seen a 4.9 swap that was way worse off (none of the wires were in a loom and they were run every which way the person felt like it at the time - so there were a lot of single wires laying across the top, some were ran tight because they didn't want to lengthen them). And don't get me started on exhaust.

I have found that there are a good number of people out there that start an engine swap that:

1) get in way over thier heads
2) it is taking longer than the weekend to do it and get bored of it and either, try to finish it whatever way they can (not caring) or don't bother with it anymore.
3) lazy...

I have personally seen 5 cars like this (and know of at least 3 more).

Anyways, you will get it all worked out eventually, the worest part is trying to deal/fix with someone else's screw ups.

I agree , there are a few real close and have lost momentem. I wish I had the time off to work on mine. If I am away from it to long I forget where I was, and what I was doing when I quit. I have to figure out what I wanted to finish up next.
TEXASGT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2009 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
I only get one day a week to work on my Fiero. I'm always on call for work so sometimes I don't always get to work on it. I can home tonight with the intention of working on the dynamat but I have caught a cold and feel like poo poo! So no pics tonight...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock