Started on: 09-19-2009 05:00 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: randye on 09-19-2009 10:14 PM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
$20 in parts from Home Depot, and 3 hours of easy work later, and I had this:

Saw off a couple of small lengths of .50 X .25 aluminum bar for brackets. Bend and drill and add stainless button head socket screws, nuts and washers, and....VOILA!

I LOVE Rodney's parts, but he didn't appear to offer his cradle bar as just a solid polished bar with no holes or slots, which is what I really wanted.....so I made my own.

Yes, it's *supposed* to hide e-brake cables, and mine were removed when I did my brake upgrade, but I just like the look of the bar from behind the car.

Once I had the bar polished I did clearcoat it to keep it from oxidizing, and that dulled down the mirror polish I had on it somewhat, but I think its still nice.

What do you think?

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-19-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2009 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I like when people use their hands to create things. Definately adds to your superb ride. Do you have any pics with it on, while the car is on the ground? I had made a front splitter out of some aluminum similar to yours last spring. Shined it up to a mirror finish with Mothers Aluminum Polish. I have had absolutely no issues with it oxidizing. I know, by looking and reading your post, that I used the same stock as you. I just may do something like this myself. Pretty damn cool.

Tony
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Awesome! I like when people use their hands to create things. Definately adds to your superb ride. Do you have any pics with it on, while the car is on the ground? I had made a front splitter out of some aluminum similar to yours last spring. Shined it up to a mirror finish with Mothers Aluminum Polish. I have had absolutely no issues with it oxidizing. I know, by looking and reading your post, that I used the same stock as you. I just may do something like this myself. Pretty damn cool.

Tony

No pics with it sitting on the ground yet.
I'll shoot more photos once I can get it out of the garage later.
The car sits low, so anyone would have to be several car lengths behind me to see it.
I was thinking of possibly adding an weatherproof LED "CLMSL" (Center Low Mounted Stop Lamp), to the center of the bar and simply running a lead up under the rear bumper to the brake lights.
I'll have to see what I can find that might work...
mid engine monsters

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersDirect Link to This Post
beeeautiful......awesome look from behind
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
What is it for?

Just to look good?

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

4.9 ongoing project

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

What is it for?

Just to look good?

Isn't that enough?
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Rodney made a bar similar to yours. He calls them cradle braces and are available with holes or slots.

Rodney, I linked the photo from your website. I will take it down if you wish. www.thefierostore.com

No holes will look awesome. I can't wait to see your on the ground photos. Nice work.

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 09-19-2009).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

Rodney made a bar similar to yours. He calls them cradle braces and are available with holes or slots.

Rodney, I linked the photo from your website. I will take it down if you wish. www.thefierostore.com

No holes will look awesome. I can't wait to see your on the ground photos. Nice work.

Thanks.
Yes I am aware of Rodney's "cradle braces"
I even mentioned him in the original posting, (maybe you missed it... )

I LOVE Rodney's parts, but he didn't appear to offer his cradle bar as just a solid polished bar with no holes or slots, which is what I really wanted.....so I made my own.

Normally I would just buy Rodney's excellent parts and save myself a lot of sweat, or I could have called him and asked if he could make one with no holes or slots, but I was in Home Depot and saw the aluminum bar stock and had an "inspired moment".

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Read it but it didn't sink in. I like the solid bar too.

Did you have to drill your mount holes on the cradle?

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 09-19-2009).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

Read it but it didn't sink in. I like the solid bar too.

Did you have to drill your mount holes on the cradle?

Yes, the cradle required (2) holes for a 1/4" screw, (one each side).
Very easy to do.
Then you just attach a washer and nut through the opening in the side of the cradle and tighten.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock