GAS Route 50 Fiero tour - CANCELLED by Just Say Go
Started on: 06-29-2009 06:11 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: silverbullet910 on 07-07-2009 04:31 PM
Just Say Go

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post
It is with sadness and deep regret that I announce the cancellation of the GAS (Go and Show) Route 50 Fiero tour. This event was announced before several major changes occurred in my life, and I struggled to press on regardless. But now, a go/no-go situation is staring me in the face, and I have had to make a difficult decision.

Time
The main reason for my decision to cancel the tour is the amount of time it will continue to cost me. This has already been an enormous investment of time, and with the passing of the one-year-to-go milestone, the tax on my time would multiply many times over. I just don't see how I can afford that.

Finances
The changes in my personal life have made me realize that I cannot participate in the tour myself. And I have been in denial that I could still pull it off by coordinating it from home. The entire time the tour is under way, I would still have to be off work, sitting at the computer and on the phone. Additionally, I would have to delegate certain responsibilities to the participants who go the entire distance. Even if they were willing, it would reduce their enjoyment of the trip.

Talent & ability
I have no talents in sales or business, and no ability to attract the kind of sponsorships and media coverage, etc., that this event deserves. That does not prevent it from taking place, but it does affect the promotion of the tour, and yes, even the quality of the experience. It also prevents any hope of having the tour professionally documented and distributed.

No guarantee of success
In spite of everything I could do, there is no way to ensure such an event goes as planned. In a static car show at one location, on one day, that's not the end of the world. But in this case, the slightest miscalculation or change of schedule has serious implications, because everyone down the road depends on things going as expected. If it were a handful of friends taking a Fiero road trip, that would be one thing, but this is much different, and there is great opportunity for things to go wrong.

Affecting friendships and could affect marriage
Changes to the plan have already put a strain on my relationships with a couple of friends, and with a year to go, there would surely be more. My wife has been great in tolerating my hobby, but I know that to continue with planning the tour means putting unnecessary stress on my marriage. I don't want that, and I will not allow it.

I hope everyone who was planning to participate in the Go and Show will still find a way to enjoy such an experience on America's roads. Organizing it was enjoyable until now, but it suddenly became an overwhelming burden, and no longer a joy. You could say I had to cut my losses.

I apologize for any inconvenience this means for those who have already started planning their portion of the trip. And I apologize to those who have invested some of their own time and effort into helping me put this together. Fiero people are the best, and you who have offered to help in so many ways have proven that to me once again.

I wish to thank The Fiero Store. They have kept the communication lines open, and have been so easy to work with. And their generosity and willingness to aid our enjoyment of the Fiero hobby has been impressive.

This announcement means my retirement from organizing and promoting Fiero events. It has been exciting, fulfilling and fun. I look forward to seeing my friends again - as a participant - in future Fiero gatherings!

Chuck Hodges

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to say thanks to Cliff Pennock, especially for creating the GAS forum.
WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear this, but understand completely. I sent you a PM.

Mark
silverbullet910

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for silverbullet910Send a Private Message to silverbullet910Direct Link to This Post
Realy sad to here the tour is cancelled, I was very much looking forward to it and willing to help in any way. Good luck with other projects. Mike P.S. If any one wishs to continue PM me.
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
You have spent a massive amount of time we all know, why not delegate the responsibilitys to upstanding individuals per state? I know for a fact (since i'm nearby to this state) there are a ton of Quality individuals who live in MD, how many states? Theres plenty of time for these indivduals to coordinate the event w/o dragging your personal life into the toilet if you keep a very minimal interaction that keeps your family #1.

Andrew
Tammykos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TammykosClick Here to visit Tammykos's HomePageSend a Private Message to TammykosDirect Link to This Post
I was looking forward to the caravan making its way through Colorado and joining up for awhile. But it is definitely a HUGE project to undertake, with coordinating events, hotels, etc. Thanks for all the time and effort you've put in already.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
I'll coordinate the Texas leg... oh, wait...
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
I completely understand. We all have to keep the main goals in mind. As you know I am a big fan of the Fiero, but the family comes first. It sounds like you are making the right choice. Thank you for the effort you have put into it.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post
I have received messages from people who did not hear the tour was cancelled, so I need to bump this.

The response has been very supportive. I was really worried. But cancelling now has a lot less impact than if it were cancelled later.

Many people have expressed hopes that the event could be "salvaged". If someone seriously wants to take on the project, I would be happy to share my notes & info. As for finding "coordinators" along the tour, forget it. In my past events, too many people said they would do things and then didn't. Route 50 goes through 12 states. I don't think you could find 12 people living near Route 50 in those states who are willing to make a commitment and take on responsibility. ( * Edit to say please see clarification in my next post below * ) Plus, someone still has to tie it all together, because what happens at any given point affects the rest of the schedule all the way down the road.

I simply bit off more than I could chew. But when this started, I had much more time on my hands, and was making 3 times my current salary. Life has a way of changing one's plans.

[This message has been edited by Just Say Go (edited 07-02-2009).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Man I just found out .

Now to tell my cousin.

I understand why you canceled it. How are you doing?

Brad
Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

...How are you doing?

Thanks for asking! Mostly, I feel like my favorite dog had to be put to sleep... it was that much a part of me. But I am actually feeling some relief. It was just starting to get into the crunch time, where the anxiety of what still needs to be done and worrying about what I have forgotten gets my nerves tied up in knots. Now I can look into work-at-home stuff. And I just finished an introductory Web Design class, and enjoyed it, so I hope to keep working on that. Plus, now I can get more things done around the house.

I need to clarify what I said in my last post about not finding enough people to be coordinators - I didn't mean that to sound like nobody was helping. On the contrary, I got lots of great information, photos, suggestions, and all kinds of stuff from many people. And I DID get a few coordinators, like George Ryan and others at Mile High Fieros, the folks at Golden Gate Fieros, and probably one or two more I can't think of right now. Those were people who actually volunteered to be in charge of the tour through their area, not just pointing out some sites to see, things to do, route suggestions, etc. They were willing to be responsible for organizing and carrying out their part of the tour. That's what I meant that there wouldn't be at least one for each of the 12 states. I didn't mean to diminish the importance of all the great things a lot of other people did to help out.

PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Just Say Go:

Thanks for asking! Mostly, I feel like my favorite dog had to be put to sleep... it was that much a part of me. But I am actually feeling some relief. It was just starting to get into the crunch time, where the anxiety of what still needs to be done and worrying about what I have forgotten gets my nerves tied up in knots. Now I can look into work-at-home stuff. And I just finished an introductory Web Design class, and enjoyed it, so I hope to keep working on that. Plus, now I can get more things done around the house.

I need to clarify what I said in my last post about not finding enough people to be coordinators - I didn't mean that to sound like nobody was helping. On the contrary, I got lots of great information, photos, suggestions, and all kinds of stuff from many people. And I DID get a few coordinators, like George Ryan and others at Mile High Fieros, the folks at Golden Gate Fieros, and probably one or two more I can't think of right now. Those were people who actually volunteered to be in charge of the tour through their area, not just pointing out some sites to see, things to do, route suggestions, etc. They were willing to be responsible for organizing and carrying out their part of the tour. That's what I meant that there wouldn't be at least one for each of the 12 states. I didn't mean to diminish the importance of all the great things a lot of other people did to help out.

Did anyone at MAFOA contact you about the Leg through MD, if the "Powers to be" would undertake being in charge of the tour through that state, I would be willing to take some vacation time next year to help out.
silverbullet910

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silverbullet910Send a Private Message to silverbullet910Direct Link to This Post
I would help with the Va. portion . If any one wants to continue Pm me
Capitol City Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capitol City FieroSend a Private Message to Capitol City FieroDirect Link to This Post
well, we had the time off from work and the money to do this run, Looks like we will do the Hot rod Power tour in place of the GAS run in 2010, Keep watching www.capitolcityfieros.homestead.com for hotel listing for those who want to run the power tour in 2010
cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2009 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
I am so angry about all the e-mails and posts from folks that read about the cancellation that have (1) made no contribution - no effort at all to help out with this massive undertaking (they just wanted to show up and enjoy it!) and (2) Fiero owners that were not planning to participate. I just don't think they have cause to say ANYTHING!!

While I haven't spoken with Chuck since his decision, I DO know that what he wrote was straight from his heart, and that it was sincere. He has struggled through some pretty serious life changes while trying to put this thing together, and the pressures on him were increasing daily. There is a LOT that goes into the planning and presentation of an event such as this. For most major events (such as the 20th or 25th, for example) that planning and pesentation is done by committee, but in this case one man tried to do it all - - that man was Chuck Hodges.

During our next conversation, I will certainly reassure Chuck that he is definitely qualified and capable of pulling this this off, and that there is enough talent within our community to "fill the gaps". But you know what?? That talent has never stepped forward (with a couple exceptions) to this point - leaving Chuck to do it all pretty much by himself. Chuck's letter only barely touches on the impact on his life that this event has had, plus I think his forecast for the impact it undoubtedly would have had during the course of the next year (without a lot of help) was actually miniimalized.

But here's some thoughts - - bear with me for a moment! This planning for the tour was pretty much complete (in "rough draft" form so to speak) from Washington DC to the Nevada border when the "realignment" was discussed. Why not use that foundation and go from there?? I think that if Chuck were to get some talented help to relieve him of some of the stresses that this could still happen. My next posting will outline my personal response to Chuck’s letter and suggestions that might help overcome those obstacles.
cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2009 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post

cadero2dmax

1266 posts
Member since Oct 2001
Here's what I think coulld be done to make this tour a reality.

First - I think there should be a nominal charge to help defray administrative costs (and to reimburse Chuck for the untold $ he has invested to this point). I think that these charges should be in advance - at least a portion of them - sorta like reserving a hotel room. That would "lock in" a spot. There could be some sort of cost reduction for admin involvement (which would be an inducement for interested folks to get off their duffs and help out rather than just wait for it to happen so they can participate). This charge would be so much per state - perhaps $20 per state that the participant toured in. For example, I was planning on starting in CO and going into Utah, I would have to pre-register $40). If I chose to go on to Nevada, I would have to give up another $20 - - even if it was on the spot during the tour.

Second - I would contract a professional videographer to document the tour. But this contract would be more like with an attorney - on a contingency basis. They could sell the completed video to participants, interested parties (there is a huge target audience here on PFF, for example) and IF it was done well enough the videographer could sell it to media. I actually had discussed this with a graduate student while she was waiting for her "big break" to kick start her broadcasting career.

Third - I met a Fiero owner at the 20th (but having old-timers disease can't remember much other than the conversation) that was into Advertising and Public Relations in (I believe) Chicago. If we could locate him or another professional in this field from the Fiero community, they wouldn't have to necessarily do the PR that Chuck referred to in his letter, but certainly could give us hints and tips and how best to promote.

And finally, fourth - sponsors. Any racer knows that this is a challenge. But there are also tried and proven methods for shaking sponsors out of the woodwork. I will bet nobody has contacted the major tire manufacturers (we all use them, don't we??) or Interstate Batteries, or a major gas company, or Gates rubber - ad naseum - for a small sponsorship. To the best of my knowledge there has been little contact outside of the Fiero vendors.

My last posting will address some even broader scale thoughts about this tour.
cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2009 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post

cadero2dmax

1266 posts
Member since Oct 2001
One suggestion? That the GAS tour be postponed for perhaps a year rather than cancelled. Then the groundwork that has been laid could be shored up, perhaps in some cases improved, and make this into the historic event that Chuck has dreamed about for years.

Another even broader scale suggestion - - again bear with me for a moment. GM (Government Motors) has seen fit to kill the Pontiac brand. Why not have a national tour of Pontiacs? Maybe a "Pontiac Farewell Tour"? We Fiero folks could be the "sponsors" so to speak, but would have all of the Pontiac community to back us up and draw talent from. The tour could then be touted on a much broader scale (I'm positive it would be easier to get sponsorship, and both media attention and coverage - probably on a national scale. Imagine being featured on "Good Morning America" for example - - - ).

In any case, and no matter how we do it - - I'm sure that we all would agree, Chuck should be "Gramd Marshall" of that nation-wide parade if - - no, WHEN this tour happens!!

G
silverbullet910

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2009 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silverbullet910Send a Private Message to silverbullet910Direct Link to This Post
I agree with you and offer any help needed in the D.C.- Va. section Pm me

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock