Started on: 05-16-2009 12:30 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: rogergarrison on 05-18-2009 07:58 PM
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
I just was doing my FieroStore order and thier windshield moulding has jumped up to $49.95 !! Thats way to high for a strip of rubber. I understand thiers is original GM, but I'm not worried about that. Does anyone have another source for a aftermarket replacement for this stuff or a JC Whitney part number or something ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
The Windshield /Glass installers/companies use that stuff. They use new for replacing the windshields.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
My windshield is good, I pulled the moulding to paint the car and it got all deformed so I'm just trying to fond a replacement. I wonder if I could get it from a glass/windshield company ?
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I was thinking that the moulding was supposed to be put on the glass before it was set into the adhesive. The adhesive held them both in the windshield frame.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 05-16-2009).]

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, maybe it was supposed to be, but mine wasnt. I pulled it because it was allready comeing loose at the top corners, it pulled off with no effort. Might have been replace before I got the car.
Brocephus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post
Mike, I recently had my windshield replaced after a run in with a piece of tire off of a Schneider truck. The cost was $237.58 from Safelite Autoglass.

When the guy came to replace it, the windshield he had with him already had the weatherstrip glued to the glass. I told him that I was days away from ordering a weatherstrip from the Fiero Store and he told me that no matter the brand, they would never work like the one he was installing in my car as it was glued to the windshield and would be further held in by the black goop they install the glass with. He said that the "snap" or "press-in" don't hold up well (if they even fit in the first place) because the dried black goop holding the windshield in prevents the aftermarket or OEM strip from seating correctly. Your windshield might be in good shape, but I would strongly recommend considering replacing the windshield, especially if your car is drop dead gorgeous and you need it to look sexy. Otherwise, hit up Home Depot, snag some black silicone, lay a big, thick bead around your windshield and let it dry. Once it dries, lay a lightly oiled razor blade flat on your windshield and carefully trim off the excess. The sharper and flatter the blade, the smoother the final look will be. Also, cut straight through it making sure not to saw back and forth as this will yield a rippled effect.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I will go with the new glass then, doant want to do the silicone thing. would rather get the trim.

Dont know if you can see but it looks like poo without it
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-16-2009 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Maybe I will go with the new glass then, doant want to do the silicone thing. would rather get the trim.

Dont know if you can see but it looks like poo without it

I was in a similar situation with another car a while ago and trying to make it work without puling the glass just made a mess of things and just didn't work out. Perhaps that is why yours was so loose to begin with.
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Yeah Mike, your car is dead sexy. You need it done right and knowing what I know about this particular animal, I couldn't point you in any other direction.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advice...guess I need to find more money now.
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post
Went out and took a few pics of my new glass and strip.

Driver's side A-Pillar. Glued to glass, not body. It just lays on the body.

Top Center of windshield and roof. Looks like it belongs there.

Here, you'll notice a couple of bumps in the weatherstrip and

These are the pieces of leftover glue you'll want to make sure you remove before you get your new glass installed. I can still remove these with an exacto-knife. Since your weatherstrip is already out, take a few minutes to remove any big chunks of glue that might be on your roof and A-pillars because the installer won't.

One last thing: The only problem I had with the installer was that he left his damn mess behind for me to clean up. This included slivers of glass, dirt and old bits of dried glue. I would have laid an old sheet over the dash and interior had I known that he wasn't going to clean up after himself.

[This message has been edited by Brocephus (edited 05-16-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I used to get that stuff for free at prosign company. and in diffrent colors to
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up, most my extra glue was removed before paint, and since mine is black it wont show up so much !

I like that cup holder ! Just like the factory made it !

+ for "Bro" for taking the time to get pics !

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 05-16-2009).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-16-2009 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brocephus:

*snip*

One last thing: The only problem I had with the installer was that he left his damn mess behind for me to clean up. This included slivers of glass, dirt and old bits of dried glue. I would have laid an old sheet over the dash and interior had I known that he wasn't going to clean up after himself.

Wish mine was soft like that, i'm trying to pull 2 roofs ( to swap, and i don't want to break the A-pillar covers ) and mine is hard as a rock.

Last time i had a windshield done, they did clean up after themselves.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Mike, I recently had my windshield replaced after a run in with a piece of tire off of a Schneider truck. The cost was $237.58 from Safelite Autoglass.

When the guy came to replace it, the windshield he had with him already had the weatherstrip glued to the glass. I told him that I was days away from ordering a weatherstrip from the Fiero Store and he told me that no matter the brand, they would never work like the one he was installing in my car as it was glued to the windshield and would be further held in by the black goop they install the glass with. He said that the "snap" or "press-in" don't hold up well (if they even fit in the first place) because the dried black goop holding the windshield in prevents the aftermarket or OEM strip from seating correctly. Your windshield might be in good shape, but I would strongly recommend considering replacing the windshield, especially if your car is drop dead gorgeous and you need it to look sexy. Otherwise, hit up Home Depot, snag some black silicone, lay a big, thick bead around your windshield and let it dry. Once it dries, lay a lightly oiled razor blade flat on your windshield and carefully trim off the excess. The sharper and flatter the blade, the smoother the final look will be. Also, cut straight through it making sure not to saw back and forth as this will yield a rippled effect.

What he said:

Windshields and moldings for them are one thing I don't mind leaving to the pros.
Here is my old windshield coming out of my 87' GT in one piece:
(Man I hated that old yellow tint!!)

The SafeLite guy had the old one out and the new one in, (with integral moulding attached), in less than 30 minutes.
(he did clean up afterwards too).
You simply can never get the add-on molding to install or function like the "real thing".

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 05-16-2009).]

Brocephus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the plus Mike, hehe. It was nuttin'. :-) I just wanted you to see the benefit of a new windshield molding over an "after the fact" molding.

Randye, I'm with you on that yellow tint... I think mine used to be blue at one time, but 25 years of sun took its toll and turned it yellow. It was nice to get in it and see that darker blue tint.

Nurb, on my other Fiero, the Nissan-powered monster to-be, I pulled the windshield on it as well and almost had to chisel the weatherstrip and black goop off. Needless to say, I eventually cracked the windshield but it was old and yellowed anyway.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
My windshield has that yellow tint to, I just put a strip of Limo tint over it and its not yellow anymore ! Guess that will be another plus of new glass !
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-16-2009 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Thanks for the plus Mike, hehe. It was nuttin'. :-) I just wanted you to see the benefit of a new windshield molding over an "after the fact" molding.

Randye, I'm with you on that yellow tint... I think mine used to be blue at one time, but 25 years of sun took its toll and turned it yellow. It was nice to get in it and see that darker blue tint.

Nurb, on my other Fiero, the Nissan-powered monster to-be, I pulled the windshield on it as well and almost had to chisel the weatherstrip and black goop off. Needless to say, I eventually cracked the windshield but it was old and yellowed anyway.

Ya, i started cracking the donor cars windshield along the edges last fall before i gave up due to weather. Figured i better plan ahead before i finish and try to swap it, and expect to be buying a new one for the destination car. If i didn't have to change the roof id not care
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

When the guy came to replace it, the windshield he had with him already had the weatherstrip glued to the glass. I told him that I was days away from ordering a weatherstrip from the Fiero Store and he told me that no matter the brand, they would never work like the one he was installing in my car as it was glued to the windshield and would be further held in by the black goop they install the glass with. He said that the "snap" or "press-in" don't hold up well (if they even fit in the first place) because the dried black goop holding the windshield in prevents the aftermarket or OEM strip from seating correctly. Your windshield might be in good shape, but I would strongly recommend considering replacing the windshield, especially if your car is drop dead gorgeous and you need it to look sexy.

AMEN. Pretty much what ive been saying for years. Ive had several places try putting in a replacement with professional glues and they always came out, usually starting at the top corners where they pulled out and curled up. Soon wind made history of them. I even tried upholstery glues, silicone, and anything else someone recommended.

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

.... I pulled the windshield on it as well and almost had to chisel the weatherstrip and black goop off. Needless to say, I eventually cracked the windshield but it was old and yellowed anyway.

The SafeLite guy that did my windshield had this handy tool rigged up to chisel off the black goop:

I took a photo of it in case I ever wanted to make one for myself.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 05-16-2009).]

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
When they installthe new windshield do they install the rubber bumpers at the bottom?

When they use that scraper with a hammer will make me think of heavy gouged on the metal which I return will lead to rust down the road. That why I'd rather prep it up for the guy installing the windshield. Remove old glass, clean all the black goop around the perimeter. Coat the area with some rust primer and paint. Install the rubber bumpers. I guess they keep the witndshield from sliding down until the sealant cures.
PFF
System Bot
Orville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OrvilleSend a Private Message to OrvilleDirect Link to This Post
What Brocephus said about black silicone. Quick and dirty but I think
It looks better than the molding.

Orville
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Anybody have any pics of the finished product with the silicone method ? What kind of silicone, Hardware store stuff ?
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orville:

What Brocephus said about black silicone. Quick and dirty but I think
It looks better than the molding.

Orville

Oh I dunno... I think the molding is pretty aesthetically pleasing.

The silicone method requires a very steady hand for two reasons.

1. You'll end up with the ripple effect I spoke of or,

2. You have to be extremely careful not to cut the paint on your A-pillar. I didn't have any paint on my car when I did it, so I didn't have to be very careful at all.

I don't have any pics of my car with the silicone window treatment but I didn't really like the looks of it. It looked cheap and the cheap silicone I bought didn't look black in the sunlight.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

The Windshield /Glass installers/companies use that stuff. They use new for replacing the windshields.

The new molding that glass installers use is not shaped like the original. It is flat and wider, while the original is thinner and rounded. A purist would want to use the original type.
I had Safelite do my 88 coupe. Same price as quoted previously, and they cleaned up after themselves. They also cleaned and painted my VIN tag (which was beginning to look a bit rusty. A nice little extra. And yes, it did take two of them to do it. The first guy that came wasn't familiar with Fieros, so he called in, and the other guy that came called himself their "dinosaur technician", because he knew older cars.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Some of the Corvette guys have replaced the windshield rubber seal with new OEM replacements or Repops on their 50s-60s models. Theyve only lasted a few years. I do them with 20 year black silicone. I go around the glass with tape about an 1/8" from the chrome molding and about an 1/8" onto the chrome molding edge. Then put on a ribbon of the silicone and immediately start at one spot and go completely around the windshield in one pass with my finger. Wipe that off and pull off both strips of tape immediately and leaves a very nice original look seal that water dont even get into. Ive got some I did like that several years ago that still look great and better than ones that just replaced the seal. Looks good enough to still pass Bloomington Gold Corvette shows.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock