Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Is there a similar style weather strip to create your own trunk seal?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Is there a similar style weather strip to create your own trunk seal? by FieroFanatic13
Started on: 04-23-2009 04:12 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Patrick on 04-24-2009 12:19 PM
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post
Just like the title says- anyone know of a weather strip style sold in bulk possibly that could be used to create our own trunk weather seals? It seems I have seen this somewhere but I can't find what I thought I had...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I work in the school bus industry. I've been looking at a weather stripping that is used to seal outer door edges on International chassis school buses P# 453094001. It comes in bulk and has a wire clip built into the rubber so it clips onto anything that has a fine edge. I wouldn't try to buy it though because for a 'common' buyer it would be ridiculously expensive. My fleetcharge cost (which is heavily discounted) is $2.58 ft and it comes in a 50 ft roll.

You might check local heavy duty truck supply shops. They can usually show you what they have and match items up for you if you have a piece of the original Fiero trunk seal you can part with.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

I work in the school bus industry. I've been looking at a weather stripping that is used to seal outer door edges on International chassis school buses P# 453094001. It comes in bulk and has a wire clip built into the rubber so it clips onto anything that has a fine edge. I wouldn't try to buy it though because for a 'common' buyer it would be ridiculously expensive. My fleetcharge cost (which is heavily discounted) is $2.58 ft and it comes in a 50 ft roll.

You might check local heavy duty truck supply shops. They can usually show you what they have and match items up for you if you have a piece of the original Fiero trunk seal you can part with.

This is interesting. I'm hoping to find something with the same "cross section" that could easily be cut and then "glued" or re-attached in some manner to create the corners....
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
This stuff I have has a really bendable metal clip built into it so it can contour around edges. It would simply be a matter of opening it up, running it around the trunk, and then cutting off what you don't need. The only problem I see from using it is I don't think it would do a very good job of sealing up the trunk, as it's meant for a seal that opens constantly (school bus door). However, it's the only thing I have lying around that looks like it can clip itself onto the Fiero trunk weatherstripping lip.
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
I assume you mean the stupidly expensive rectangular seals on GT/fastbacks? I've seen NOS fastback trunk seals go from $60 to $200-ish in the last few years, so a lot of people do something like this: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-070234.html

IIRC though, the front edge has a vertical lip and the sides/rear are horizontal.. you'd have to use a combination of 180° and 90° weatherstripping to get a fastback to seal?

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 04-23-2009).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
I saw a post about this same subject years ago and one potential supplier came up: JC Whitney
Not sure if they still have the same selection of weatherstripping as they used to though ......

Kit
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Check out the links I posted Here as well as the whole thread.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2009 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Check out the links I posted Here as well as the whole thread.

Thanks Patrick. This is one of those "DOH" with search moments. I used "weather strip" when I searched and never came across this thread! PLUS to you!

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 04-24-2009).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2009 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

You're welcome! (I was wondering where that new rating came from. )

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock