Headlight mod (pics) by Ayrow
Started on: 04-21-2009 08:29 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Tony Kania on 04-25-2009 11:32 AM
Ayrow

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowDirect Link to This Post
Been working on FieroKing's headlight mod and it is coming along quite well.
This is the progress so far.

Today I spent the afternoon running a dedicated 12v line from the battery to power them via a relay.
Hopefully I will get them hooked up tonight.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
That looks so much better than the stock bug eye. Are those your buckest or the ones from Europe? Very nice.

Pat
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
very not bad. I'm not a fan of the flip up lights so I went to kris munsons style lights but they look great on your car.
Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowDirect Link to This Post
They are originally off of an RX-7. I got them off of Ebay for about $150.
It is not a project for the squeemish. It requires a ton of preceise cutting and drilling to their original frames.
Plus you have to cut up the existing Fiero headlight buckets.

I tried some different things and managed to find a way of bolting them instead of using epoxy. Much more solid.

To be safe, I got a second pair of old buckets from Synthesis so I wouldn't permanently do damage to my original ones.
This way I ca return her to stock form with very little work.

Tom Corey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom CoreySend a Private Message to Tom CoreyDirect Link to This Post
Very nice look. Well worth the effort.

------------------

Tom Corey
Melbourne, FL
87 Green T-Top GT 5Spd SBC ZZ3 V8 - NOS

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ayrow:

They are originally off of an RX-7. I got them off of Ebay for about $150.
It is not a project for the squeemish. It requires a ton of preceise cutting and drilling to their original frames.
Plus you have to cut up the existing Fiero headlight buckets.

I tried some different things and managed to find a way of bolting them instead of using epoxy. Much more solid.

To be safe, I got a second pair of old buckets from Synthesis so I wouldn't permanently do damage to my original ones.
This way I ca return her to stock form with very little work.

You did get them then. I was about to email and ask if you got em. Those don't look bad at all.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
VERY well done. i think that's the best headlight mod you can do for the money - i wish i had the skills
chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
what about on a rainy day? don't the motors and relays get wet or the front compartment?

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast
For Fiero updates, visit my site and don't forget visit our google ad sponsors
http://educatorstop15.com/fieropage.htm

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrismclubm:

what about on a rainy day? don't the motors and relays get wet or the front compartment?

The motors are already exposed to moisture, so it does not matter. The relays may be a problem if they are not weather sealed relays.
The front compartment just gets wet no matter what.
Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

You did get them then. I was about to email and ask if you got em. Those don't look bad at all.

Yes, I got them. Sorry I didn't email you to let you know. I figured I surprise you with a build thread.
;-)

Thanks again, Chris.

Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowDirect Link to This Post
Well, they're pretty much done. I still have to aim them, but I honestly couldn't be happier with the way that they turned out.
This was a ton of work, no doubt, but a lot of fun to complete.
The best part, at least for me, is I didn't have to modify anything on the car itself (maybe a small amount of wiring). Returning it to stock, for whatever reason, will be easy.

Thanks again to Sythesis for the headlight buckets.

PFF
System Bot
1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
they look really nice, I just wish pontiac would have thought about this look. What did you cut on the original buckets?

------------------

Thank for the sig. Bobadoofunk
1984 Fiero Sport Coupe
1990 Buick Reatta
2002 Chevy Impala base

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 04-23-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Isn't there a similar swap with HID Xenons (DOT approved) out there somewhere? I though I just saw it somewhere.
Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2009 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowDirect Link to This Post
I spent last night aiming these damn things. What a PITA.
However, once completed, they throw a ton of light out. Probably close to twice what the stock bulbs were able to attain. The best part is when you turn the brights on (!!!).
Before, with the stock bulbs, using the brights was a joke. Even the Silverstars I had in there weren't all that great.
Now, it's a whole different story. I encourage anyone who has the patience and abilty to do this mod.

I'll try to post some photos of it once the weather stays warm so I can motivate myself to go shoot at night.

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see that my light mod is being used by other. Mine have been working great since I installed them.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC build underway
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2009 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I will testify that Fieroking's RX-7 headlights look great. Just a really slick setup.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock