Choptop glass project by rodneybooth
Started on: 03-03-2009 11:38 PM
Replies: 93
Last post by: madcurl on 10-22-2009 06:45 PM
rodneybooth

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothDirect Link to This Post
Sorry this took so long. I had to wait for my dividend check from the big investments I made last year in antidepressants. We took Archie's window out and made a sheet metal template for the RH and LH sides. The idea was to give the glass man a stable template that the could get his numbers from. We haven't locked in on the glass bender yet. We're looking for one that will give us a reasonable price. So far so good and I have my fingers crossed. We still have to have the glass fabricated and then it has to actually fit up tight. Well, I'm committed (or should be).

The glass templates

The right side fits real nice.

the left side fits well also.

Best of all. The template goes up and down smoothly and the door closes well.

You guys need to get a tissue or something to mop up that drool on your chin.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
About the only reason I haven't chopped one is "out the window" now.
Thanks folks! I'll be here all week! Try the fish.

Watching for updates and price!
Looks perfect.
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
Good luck with your project. You can put me down as a customer if you get them made.

------------------

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
WOW talk about chumming the waters!!

Get ready for Curley and crew.....
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
As part of the crew...

Put me down for a set if the price is reasonable...

(I'm' thinking something with three digits before the decimal)

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Oh sorry AND Jscott

I think it would be way cool to havethose blanks for fun as well! I can see polishing them and at the shows (only) have them up!
If you have a bad loking interior, that would be sweeter to have them up rather than the ugly interior showing!<< just a thought!

People would freak out.
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieDirect Link to This Post
Thay look great! Yah if you painted them gloss black it would look like so really dark tint.

------------------

Love The Excitement!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
You already know how I feel about Lexan. If this venture works-- I'll be ordering a set of (3).

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
I will take 2 sets if the price is right . Thanks for working on this.
cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

cornersonrails

788 posts
Member since Jul 2006
Sorry, double post

[This message has been edited by cornersonrails (edited 03-04-2009).]

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodneybooth:

Will they be clear? Kind of hard to see through those
PFF
System Bot
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
How about a shot of that interior!!
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTDirect Link to This Post
Count me in! (CT#10) Thanks for taking the initiative to do this!

Jim
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

We still have to have the glass fabricated and then it has to actually fit up tight....Best of all. The template goes up and down smoothly and the door closes well.

If this choptop glass turns out to be as reliably leak-proof and water-tight as the stock side window glass has been for me, that definitely would make my day!
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Got my eye on this thread.
GTGeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

Will they be clear? Kind of hard to see through those

LOL. The cop's tint meter would definitely go off the scale on these. I will definitely keep an eye on this post. If things work out I would definitely go for a set + a spare set. Jeff.

[This message has been edited by GTGeff (edited 03-04-2009).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
You definatly have my attention !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-05-2009).]

GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
Count me in also.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I would be in for a set or 2!
Any updates?
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
The lack of glass side windows has been the one thing that has stopped cold any thoughts chopping my '88 coupe (I'm sure that there are many others that feel the same way).

Rodney, if these work, you will change choptop Fiero's. Good luck with your project, I'll be watching closely.

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post
I'm in for two sets.
PFF
System Bot
Fierotaz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotazSend a Private Message to FierotazDirect Link to This Post
I am in for at least one set...maybe two!
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothDirect Link to This Post
New Update: There ARE two curves in the glass rather than just one. I know Archie is saying, "HA, I told you so!" But being the stubborn knothead that thinks I am the only competent person on the planet, I had to see for myself. I choose the sheet metal because I could work with it and I knew it would stay where I put it. I just didn't trust the plexi for a template. We bent that metal in every way possible and had to concede to two curves to get it to make up with the weatherstripping. So, the possibility exists that I will encounter the same obstacle that Arch did. He scapped his efforts when he found out that the setup fee was going to be $100,000. I'm still subborn. I have to raise the possibility that they gave him that price to blow him off. But I really don't think so because Arch is a smart guy. I have a lot of resources working on this. I have a template that I am going to convert to CAD and start shopping. There has to be a glass bender that is willing to play ball. There is a glass bender that does custom boats I am chasing. It may take a group order to make this financially feasible. You guys have to be aware that we each have custom rigs and the way the windows will seat on each car may not be exactly the same. If I can pull this off, I would like to run all this through Archie if he is willing. He deserves the engineering specs on the glass.I will post again when the estimates start coming in.
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
I was actually considering keeping the sheel metal windows, cutting horizontal slots in them and calling at "the Bradley"
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Have you got in touch with the guy in texas who has the glass windows for chops ? His are 3" though, and I want 2"
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

New Update: ...

It may take a group order to make this financially feasible. You guys have to be aware that we each have custom rigs and the way the windows will seat on each car may not be exactly the same...

Not the best news I've heard all day. But, I'm glad that you are still trying.

I know the single curve wasn't close enough for Archie's taste, but for me, I would be willing for the window to be less than perfect. There is a certain amount of adjustability in the way the glass is installed.

It would take a small R&D effort if the glass deviates from the template too much and I understand why Archie doesn't want to take the time and money to do that. But I think you would find several volunteers that would play with some "test" windows.

Keep us posted.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Yup, I got a car waiting for "test" windows to do some R&D on !

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 03-05-2009).]

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
Here you go http://www.kikkerbikes.com/choptopfiero.html
I solved this problem years ago.
Here is the utube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLq1TINDmOE
Jscott1 I do not understand you or why you say all this you have a set of my windows and I have even said I would put them in an Archie chop for free. You are even in the same state as I. If you do not want the tented ones I will trade you for some clear ones. I cannot get the tint ones anymore. Ask anyone that has seen my cars what they think about the windows. Even if you hate me why would you deprive yourself of DOT glass windows? Come on don’t be afraid if you do not like them I will put the plastic ones back and buy the glass ones back from you for what you paid for them.
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothDirect Link to This Post
I bought a set of your window, Spiderboy. I did my best to get them to make up and although I have no doubt they fit your chops quite well. I was not at all satisfied. I don't want to do test windows. My intent is to develop a product that fits Archie's chops precisely. To quote Charles Barkley, "Anything less would be uncivilized".
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure on all the deals of the 2 curves and such, but when I worked on my convertible it was easy to adjust the weatherstripping to fit the glass. It seems that if the weatherstripping is not lining up, that it would be easier to make new brackets to hold the weatherstripping.

What is the issue with the single curve glass?
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Not the best news I've heard all day. But, I'm glad that you are still trying.

I know the single curve wasn't close enough for Archie's taste, but for me, I would be willing for the window to be less than perfect. There is a certain amount of adjustability in the way the glass is installed.

It would take a small R&D effort if the glass deviates from the template too much and I understand why Archie doesn't want to take the time and money to do that. But I think you would find several volunteers that would play with some "test" windows.

I'm up on the track adjustments. I was able to get the plexi in my suicide doors to close up nicely. For a while I had to hold the upper corner of the window to get the doors to shut. We looked hard at Spiderboy's window glass and adjusted as well as it could be adjusted. I could get it close, but not exact and medocity is not my friend. Plus, his glass just didn't fit the shape my car's weatherstripping. His glass fit, somewhat, but with the amount of money I have in this car, I just felt like I was just making do . I haven't "made do" since I got rid of my first wife.

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I am not sure on all the deals of the 2 curves and such, but when I worked on my convertible it was easy to adjust the weatherstripping to fit the glass. It seems that if the weatherstripping is not lining up, that it would be easier to make new brackets to hold the weatherstripping.

What is the issue with the single curve glass?

There was a good thread at one time that detailed the whole chop top window deal. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum8/HTML/000111.html

On my 1st post on page #2, I detail the differences between "Barrel" windows & "compound" curve windows.

That thread was pretty informative until towards the end of page #2 when a few of Spiderboy's buddys decided to take it to the trashcan. Maybe they thought no one would find it there. The last 6 pages of that thread are a result of their efforts & are completely off topic from the topic as stated in the title by the OP.

Archie
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

I bought a set of your window, Spiderboy. I did my best to get them to make up and although I have no doubt they fit your chops quite well. I was not at all satisfied. I don't want to do test windows. My intent is to develop a product that fits Archie's chops precisely. To quote Charles Barkley, "Anything less would be uncivilized".

Sorry to hear you had problems with them if you had let me know about it. I would have worked with you on it. I notice you and Archie are trying to make this go bad by calling me names. I made JScott1 an offer to help him with his problems there is no need to start the name calling or putting down anyone or bashing anything. I wish you well in your quest and hope you get it right for you. If it makes you and Archie feel more like men to call me Spiderboy go right on it just shows everyone else who is trying to help and who is not. If you want my help I am just an email away if not that is OK and I wish you the best of luck the problem will be the cost but if money is no option anything can be done.
Thanks,
Michael
AKA Spiderboy
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothDirect Link to This Post
I apologize if the moniker Spiderboy offended you. That was not my intent. I actually thought it was cute. Sometimes my sense of humor is a bit off balance. I applaude your efforts to even get glass made. FYI, Archie and I are not in communication about this project. I'm sure he still thinks its folly and he may be right. If you want to be supportive, PM me some vendor possibilities.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

Jscott1 I do not understand you or why you say all this you have a set of my windows and I have even said I would put them in an Archie chop for free. You are even in the same state as I. If you do not want the tented ones I will trade you for some clear ones. I cannot get the tint ones anymore. Ask anyone that has seen my cars what they think about the windows. Even if you hate me why would you deprive yourself of DOT glass windows? Come on don’t be afraid if you do not like them I will put the plastic ones back and buy the glass ones back from you for what you paid for them.

Hey, Mike,

I thought we had settled this amicably a long time ago...

I bought your glass windows for my chop top t-top thinking that a homebrewed chop could be made to fit the glass.

I have since sold the chop top t-top. And although I am tempted to put the glass windows in my Archie chop top I would prefer to have glass windows that are made exactly to fit the template.

There are many posts about how close it can be made to fit. I am not prepared at this time to take my door panels off, make any cuts, or change the weatherstripping in any major way. I'm not saying never, it's just that I've spent 4 years putting my car back together and I'm not ready to take it apart again, not even for a minute.

Mike, your windows are beautiful, and excellent workmanship. There is nothing wrong with them, they are just not designed to fit my car is all. I appreciate all you did to have the windows made, and the very reasonable price that you sold them for. I have nothing but admiration for your work and I'm sure you could make them reasonably fit my car, but if you knew what I went through on my car you would understand I'm not wanting any more changes at this time. At the show I just leave them open and all is good.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I’m drinking, scratching, and belching…while I await the results.

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
hello, i have a home brewed choptop and am also trying to figure out side glass. here are some pics of my project.

reading through all the posts here it seems the big obstacle is the 2 bends in the glass. from looking at my car and other chops it appears the lower bend in the glass is very near and maybe even a little below the dew wipe. would it be possible to make this a 2 piece design per side, with the top glass section with the single curve up top joined with some black anodized aluminum h-channel to join it to the lower bend/window track mount section below the dew wipe? i have seen 2 pieces of glass joined this way for a nearly flush fit. iv'e seen glass held/ fastened this way before and its a pretty secure joint, the glass wouldn't be easily pulled fron the h-channel. even if the edge of h-channel holding the glass would come above the dew wipe as long as it doesn't come up too far [less than 1/2 inch] i think it would still look good. you could even make the lower bend/window track mount section out of metal to easily get any bend you would need for adjustments for a nice sealing fit. what do you all think? does this sound doable? archie have you tried this? what is your opinion? i know my chop is not yours but i think it is similar enough that your windows would be possibly be workable in my car. i would love it if this is possible. you could even try it with some lexan to see if it could work. if it does work would you be willing to sell me windows? id' love to hear what archie / everyone thinks about this idea. thanks, chris

------------------
88blackchopv8

rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothDirect Link to This Post
Something tells me that is not a pretty sight...
rodneybooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodneyboothClick Here to visit rodneybooth's HomePageSend a Private Message to rodneyboothDirect Link to This Post

rodneybooth

158 posts
Member since Aug 2005
I meant that for Madcurl.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

I meant that for Madcurl.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock