Tube cradles modeled after 88' cradle?? by kawana
Started on: 11-14-2008 10:35 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: justinchristie on 11-16-2008 11:43 PM
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Im suprised ive never seen anyone talk about this.. someone should start selling tube cradles that are modeled after the 88' cradle. For one, it would be stronger, and the 88 cradles are getting harder and harder to find. There must be some market for that sort of thing?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
a market you could count on one hand....maybe...
LordBoOsT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LordBoOsTSend a Private Message to LordBoOsTDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure they would be alot of upcoming rusted out 84-87 cradles that could be ugraded to an aftermarket tube design... hmm, I'd pay 5 bills for one
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

a market you could count on one hand....maybe...

Not necessarily, if they were custom made to accommodate swaps. (Think LS4 or Northstar.)
Someone (don't remember who) was actually contemplating doing this. Don't know what ever became of it.
G-Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for G-ManSend a Private Message to G-ManDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't the most difficult part of making a repro 88 cradle be in sourcing/fabricating the rear knuckles? The cradle itself seems relatively simple and the trailing and lateral links are all available from Fiero Store.

Gary
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what a knuckle is (on a car) but it would seem that someone with some mad welding skills could make a few bucks welding the rest of the cradle. I wonder how much money it would cost to convert a pre-'87 to an '88 tube cradle (minus that pesky knuckle thing)? Might still be worth it.
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
well whats the main differences between the 85-87 cradles and the 88 cradle?
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
The 88's have a link type suspension and not the a arm style of the 84-87 style cradles as well as some other differences i believe.
gunslinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gunslingerSend a Private Message to gunslingerDirect Link to This Post
That would be dependent on your production cost vs your sale price to make this possible.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post11-16-2008 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Ive seen a thread on it... couldn't find it tho.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post11-16-2008 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I don't know what a knuckle is (on a car) but it would seem that someone with some mad welding skills could make a few bucks welding the rest of the cradle. I wonder how much money it would cost to convert a pre-'87 to an '88 tube cradle (minus that pesky knuckle thing)? Might still be worth it.

The knuckle is what the bearings bolt to.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Here is the one I have drawn up for the 88's. When I get around to making it, they will not be for sale... just for my personal projects.

If someone wanted to sell and market a custom tubular cradle - I wouldn't base it off the 88 since those parts will continue to become harder and harder to obtain cheaply (and requires more mods to the strut tower). Instead, I would find another GM upright. I was under a later model GM FWD car (can't rememeber what it was) 3+ years ago and it had an aluminum upright at the rear and was a tri link setup very similar to the 88. I do not know how strong it would be (since it was deisgned as a non-driven part), but it would be worth a look and there would be hundereds of thousands of them. I would also enable the use of the S10 4x4 front wheel bearing (to run stronger axles and save $$$ when needing wide wheels).

My buddy Russ Brown has made a couple tubular cradles (has one in is BBC car) that is based on the 84-87 and can accept the stock lower A-Arm or his tri link setup that eliminates the bumpsteer issues (with keeping the 84-87 upright). The one below was setup with all the mounts for the SBC as well.

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
There was a company from canada called htd fiero and they made one.. I sae their car and the chasis at carslile in like... 02 maybe?
NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post

NY_FIERO

1554 posts
Member since May 2002
http://www.justinchristie.c...l/v8_eliminator.html

I think the venture is over but this page still exists...
tag
the search king...
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,

I would think if one can be made of aluminum guys would step up and buy one. If one was designed of plane old mild steel, I do not think the advantages are large enough for a new market. However, if a guy could build one that is lighter than stock, perhaps saving about 40 to 50 pounds, it would not only look trick, but have other advantgages as well. I am sure guys would pay a premium for something that is "race inspired". Build it and they would come.

Cordially,
Kevin
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Fellas,

I would think if one can be made of aluminum guys would step up and buy one. If one was designed of plane old mild steel, I do not think the advantages are large enough for a new market. However, if a guy could build one that is lighter than stock, perhaps saving about 40 to 50 pounds, it would not only look trick, but have other advantgages as well. I am sure guys would pay a premium for something that is "race inspired". Build it and they would come.

Cordially,
Kevin

A stock 88 cradle as shown in the pic weighs 62 lbs total... so saving 40 to 50 lbs will be very tough to do.

justinchristie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NY_FIERO:

http://www.justinchristie.c...l/v8_eliminator.html

I think the venture is over but this page still exists...
tag
the search king...

That is the site I deigned for them.

They are no longer in business, i believe they sold the business back in 2005.

They did create a complete tubular cradle specifically for V8 conversions. I saw it n person, and it was very well designed. However it was ridiculously priced @ $5000 CDN.

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 3.4L | The Fiero Blog (Since April 2000)
-----------------------------------------------------------
My Portfolio site | JustinChristie.ca

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock