Route 50 by State - This month: Ohio by Just Say Go
Started on: 11-08-2008 08:02 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: gldkarma on 11-22-2008 05:53 PM
Just Say Go

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post
We first discussed Maryland.
Then we saw Virginia.
Then we went into West Virginia.

This month we visit Ohio.

From Belpre, for a while, Route 50 is on the Appalachian Highway, which bypasses the towns. But it goes back to two lanes at Athens, the home of Ohio University, on the Hocking River.

At McArthur, we could take a side trip to Hocking Hills State Park.

Then we come to Chillicothe.

We pass by Seip Mound (Hopewell Indian burial grounds).

Then the very small town of Bainbridge, with its dental school museum.

There is Rocky Fork State Park, at Rocky Fork Lake.

From Hillsboro, we soon find ourselves coming into Cincinnati. I used to live just north of Cincinnati, and I remember the Milford to Mariemont area being a very enjoyable stretch of road.

I don't know if there will be any car-related events in this portion of Ohio during June, but I do know there are a LOT of Fiero owners in the Cincinnati area. This could be the part of GAS where we have the biggest caravan of Fieros, if you help spread the word. Remember, it's free. What's better than free GAS???

And I need some pics from you guys who live near Route 50. Get your keys and your camera, and make a special trip to find some good shots of the highway, the sights, the road signs... anything. Email them to me and I will post them here and on the website (click the logo in the signature below).

(Sorry, but I had to write this quickly, because we're planning a wedding!)

------------------

---------------------
The Fiero Store is the
exclusive sponsor of GAS

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
I work not too far from 50. I go to lunch in Mariemont fairly often. Next time I'm in the area, I'll get some photos of 50 along the LMR.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 11-08-2008).]

Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post
Word is getting around. I have heard from 2 parties interested in participating.

And don't forget: GAS stickers, mugs, keychains and mousepads. (I'll get that on the website one of these days)
Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post
I just got back from the Cincinnati area. It was pretty fun running up and down 75 irratating the locals with the 4.9 Formula ...

------------------

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
I love Indian mounds.

Ruckus 7 went to some Caddoan mounds near Nacadoches... and I thought they were fantastic.
It really puts me into perspective when I look at something several thousand years old.

Now, sadly..., the historical significance was lost on many that participated in that detour... "its a mound of dirt"
Well... I love history... but maybe in general car enthusiasts do not.

Chuckie... did you get your dash plaque?

Hey, isn't there a bunch of Amish stuff in Ohio? You could have a car show at one of their farms or somesuch...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I dated a girl from McArthur a number of years ago. Her parents lived way back in the National Forest area. Its the home of Cincemilian (spelling?) and guess what her parents did for a living ?

One of our members from the local Fiero club (toomanyfieros I think) lives on Rt 50 in Albany just west of Athens. Athens (Ohio University) has one of the biggest halloween bashes around. People go there for that weekend from all over the state.
Rainman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Lol, McArthur. SE Ohio is so....interesting. Its really a cool part of the state, but very "appalachian" both geologically and demographically. I recall a few years ago I stopped at the BP in McArthur while driving my Mazda3 (they'd only been on the market a couple months) and the station attendant walked out of the office to ask "is 'dat one of 'dem zoom zoom cars?" I had to laugh while telling him yes, it was. It definitely stood out from the local vehicles. Very neat town though. They even have a subway so they're not THAT far off the grid, but I do believe that is the only fast food joint in the town.

Roger, I can't figure out what you're trying to spell.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 11-11-2008).]

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Yes, Blake, I got the Ruckus dash plaque. Thanks!!!

Originally posted by Rainman:

Roger, I can't figure out what you're trying to spell.

Cinsemellon... seedless watermelon.

Um... yeah, that's it.
Rainman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2008 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Yes, Blake, I got the Ruckus dash plaque. Thanks!!!

Cinsemellon... seedless watermelon.

Um... yeah, that's it.

Lol! I should have been able to figure that out, just didn't click. As much time as I spend out there, I haven't seen it, but I'm really not surprised.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 11-11-2008).]

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I hope y'all don't mind if I give this the old bumparoobie.

I have been looking at KOA's website for locations in the states mentioned up to now in these topics, and they haven't been close to Highway 50. Maybe further down the road. Just trying to find inexpensive options for our overnight stays. Problem is, it's so difficult to say (yet) where we will be when it's time to make those stops. I'll just have to make my best guess, based on the information provided by the locals.

About the time these topics get to the half-way point (Kinsley, Kansas), I'll draft a new timeline and run it by ya.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
( premium pot)
PFF
System Bot
tomanyfieros

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomanyfierosSend a Private Message to tomanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
My dad lives on Route 50... Since I have been home from the military... I have bought 2 houses about 2 miles from route 50 in Athens... and yes, the halloween party... people come from all over the country for it... I believe last I heard it was like 30,000 people showed up for it? Its in the top ten for block parties in the country.... but anyways! I will snap some pics out by my dads house... Route 50 from Albany to chilli town is a great drive... not real sharp turns, but just a beautiful drive... I will see what I can do.... if I would be back from Iraq in time, I would be on this trip.... but instead.. I will be sitting in the sand box - looking for the ocean.....
Rainman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2008 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
I had lunch in Mariemont today and happened to have a camera in the glovebox. I took some photos as I drove, didn't stop and get out (too cold and in a hurry to get back) but here are a few. Sorry for the poor quality.

Milford:

Mariemont:

Fairfax:
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear you're still at it!
Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timwdegner:

Good to hear you're still at it!

If you mean me, yeah, but all the personal changes in my life the past year and a half nearly made me call this off. I haven't had the spare time I used to have, and I've got no money anymore. In fact, I still don't know how much of the tour I will be able to take myself.

If the economy in 2010 will still allow at least one person to travel the "full tour", the chances of this being a success are very high. And 9 people are still on that list, so far. It should work even without anyone driving the entire distance, but only if there is someone on every inch of the route. And it looks as though that will not be a problem either. So the only real issue now is timing... we have to be where we say we will be, at the time we say we'll be there.

I just hope it gets documented properly in photos and video. Not to make any money from it, but to show what it was like.
gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Chuck--do you have any plans or thoughts for the end of the drive at Rockaway Beach/Pacifica? Golden Gate Fieros can plan on meeting the group in Reno if that's where you're going to stay all night and driving on out to the left coast with you from there. I imagine people will be making plans to stay Friday night and maybe the weekend in the Bay Area if the final leg does indeed make it to the coast destination on Friday. We were thinking maybe we could plan a park and chat near someplace to have lunch and many more Fieros could meet up with us there for a rendevous on Saturday. Just a very preliminary thought at this point of course, but something to keep in mind if you don't have anything else planned yet.

JC
Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gldkarma:

Hey, Chuck--do you have any plans or thoughts for the end of the drive at Rockaway Beach/Pacifica? Golden Gate Fieros can plan on meeting the group in Reno if that's where you're going to stay all night and driving on out to the left coast with you from there. I imagine people will be making plans to stay Friday night and maybe the weekend in the Bay Area if the final leg does indeed make it to the coast destination on Friday. We were thinking maybe we could plan a park and chat near someplace to have lunch and many more Fieros could meet up with us there for a rendevous on Saturday. Just a very preliminary thought at this point of course, but something to keep in mind if you don't have anything else planned yet.

JC

Plans for the end of the tour are very fluid, for a couple of reasons. The first is how long we'll take seeing the sights all the way across the country prior to that last day. That's what I hope to figure out with these state-by-state discussions. It's starting to look like this could go into a fourth week, and finish around July 1 or 2, but we just can't tell yet. Second, US 50 ends at Sacramento, and we can take any route that we desire from there to the coast. We don't have to do it the way Wulf Berg did it in his book.

But yeah, a rendezvous such as you describe would be fine. I am more than open to suggestions from the locals regarding details for the entire trip. I depend on it, in fact.

I'm not even sure what the closing ceremony should be like. I thought we might get some water from the ocean at Maryland and dump it into the Pacific in California. A nice meal and some speeches and then Goodbye, I guess. Anyone who traveled a long way to get there will want to start their trip home (but that's true at every point in the tour).

[This message has been edited by Just Say Go (edited 11-20-2008).]

SILVERMIST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SILVERMISTSend a Private Message to SILVERMISTDirect Link to This Post
We always have the Westfest show at the end of June or the or the begining of July.It would be great if we had some Fiero's from far away states.2010 is far enough away for us to plan something.

Roy (GGF)
gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2008 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking that, Roy, but is there someplace in the area big enough and cheap enough for it to be feasible? Maybe we could lock in some cheap prices now while everyone's on the verge of bankrupcy! The next weekend after June 26-27 is July 3-4-5, so I don't know if that would work or not. I guess the San Diego WestFest was around the 4th, because we were still in LA. We've got time, but could start checking out the area and asking around. They probably have some fireworks over there off the Pacifica Pier, huh?

Chuck--Most efficient way from Sacramento to Rockaway Beach/Pacifica would be to take I-80 down to Oakland, cross the Oakland Bay Bridge, drive through the City to 101 South, then take 280 to Hwy. 1, but you/we could take 37 from Vallejo over to 101 or cross the Richmond San Rafael Bridge over to 101 and go south across the Golden Gate Bridge too, then over to the beach and down the coast. I like your idea of relaying some Atlantic ocean water to the Pacific!

http://maps.google.com/maps....026363,1.768799&z=9

JC

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock