Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  ~~ All Red Tail Lights & Split Reflector Reverse Lights ~~ By Mister ~~

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

~~ All Red Tail Lights & Split Reflector Reverse Lights ~~ By Mister ~~ by Mister
Started on: 10-03-2008 03:04 AM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Mister on 02-25-2009 12:36 AM
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
This project has been in the making for over a year...
After my recent move to Alberta and passing the local registration safety inspection (with this mod), I guess it's time to reveal my latest project and create another work log with tons of pictures... just the way I like it

So here it is... An idea leads to another...

~~ ALL RED TAIL LIGHTS ~~

We start with a known mod that has been done by a few others but with my own little twist.
In order to create a "cleaner" look to the Notchback tail lights, I've switched the stock white (clear) lenses with the red ones.

Notchback tail lights in stock configuration after disassembly

A spare red lens cut to fit and replace the clear lens

The "new" pieces to complete the red setup

In order to improve this full red lens idea I've chose to add a 5th light reflector into the empty location at the center of the tail light.
started with a flat aluminum piece.

Chopped a reverse light reflector from the spare tail light and created an opening for it

Cut, bend, screw and epoxy into place

"Butel" sealant strip to reassemble the tail light

Fresh layer of black paint on the tail light surround

Rewired a 5th light socket

My own tail light Christmas tree

Installed and RED!!!

As you can see the center 2 lights are different in shape (it's the original reverse light housing size)
I'm not happy with this shape, but it would do for now.

the "Clean" Red look @ Carlisle 07.

Note: I would like to refer to Fieromaniac's Notchback Taillight custom LED-setup as one of the most impressive tail light projects, however this is a more simple Stockish look for the Notchback.

~~ REVERSE LIGHTS ~~

As I've mentioned an idea leads to another... and at this point I've started looking into reverse light options.

To summarize that thread:
Option 1: Reverse light mod done by Fieroking from a Pontiac Sunfire

Option 2: The fog light option (to obvious IMO)

Option 3: The solution came from a Dodge Stealth and PT Cruiser reverse lights

~ Idea:
Adding a reverse light in the recessed reflector location that would look "right" - like it belongs there.

~ Concept:
Split the stock reflector and add a shallow light source in the back, covered by a clear / reflector lens

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a split reflector / reverse light that would fit the stock location.
So it's time to bring out the Dremmel tool

Cut....

Trim...

Mark...and Trim...

The new section is ready

I like using Fiero parts for my mods, so my first choice was a trunk light lens. (Thanks to Benoit the co-owner of this idea )

The lens fits great but doesn't look right due to the frame section of the lens

I've tried the interior light lens as well

Then ran a quick Photoshop (on left) and decided on a clear reflector to match the red reflector

Found a couple of these road reflectors for $6 @ Canadian tire

Now, to address the lighting part. Trim the inner plastic attachment rod

Drill the LED holes

More dremmel tool action LOL

Some plastic glue........And...Perfecto

With the advice of Fieromaniac I've got these 10mm Super bright white LEDs from Hong Kong via eBay
Light-of-Victory-Led-Store and read the LED Circuitry Tutorial

Centered and glued the LEDs with TONS of hot glue

Using the Current Limiting Resistor Calculator for Leds here: http://ledcalc.com/#calc
It gave me a few options for wiring, the easiest way looked like a series connection of 4 and 4 with a 4.7 Ohm resistor.

With some advice from Marvin McInnis eventually I've used a higher resistor to protect the LEDs from over heating.

Soldered the leads

~~ INSTALLATION ~~

Bumper off

Remove old reflector

Cut

Fit

Wiring to the old reverse lights

Resistor soldered to (+) lead and everything covered with MORE hot glue

Wiring complete for both sides

Let it shine

After dark we can see the light pattern on the garage door. Due to the reflector used the light is not shinning straight but in a triangular pattern. Not great, but it would do.

And the final look in a more recent shot.

Bottom line:
$20 for a set of rear reflectors and trunk lights (for experiment)
$17.48 for 30 LEDs shipped from HK (used only 16)
$15 +/- Soldering wire, wiring, plastic tubing, resistors
$ 7 for the clear reflectors.
$ 3 Hot glue
$$ Tools
And about 10+ hours work - Priceless

As mentioned I have passed an "Out of Province" safety inspection with this setup to register my car in Alberta.
**Please note: This does not mean that it is legal nor does it mean that you would pass safety inspection with a similar setup.

Final word: This setup has held up the drive from Pontiac, MI to Calgary, AB and a few coin-op pressure car washes. This setup does not provide a significant improvement over the stock reverse lights, it was made to provide a good solution to the "All Red Tail Lights". To say that it is a necessity project would be untrue, but we all customize our Fieros to our liking and I just love the looks of it

Opinions, comments, ideas are always welcome

~~~~~

***Disclaimer: This is an amateur write-up. Information here is provided for explanation of the general idea, I will not be held responsible for any damage to your car, your garage going in a blaze or destruction of your marriage life Please use information at your owe risk - Thanks.***

------------------

T-Top ~HUD~LEDs ~Red Fieros~Carputer~Go West

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 10-03-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Tal = first ever Fiero with rear firing fog lights!

nice work, and nice photo journal.
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
very nice work.. im copying everything you did for my se ty for the write up
Fieromaniac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
@Mister
thx for the flowers and i like to say that i love your idea with the LED in the Reflectors

to the Durablility of the LED we used :

My Taillightset has 0 Zero Nada Niete Null Nix defect LED and that after 8 Month in a Daily driver ( only some solderings went bad and i had to resolder them ) and keep in mind that we talk about 598 LED in the taillights

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX LPG

*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 10-03-2008).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Looks great! I love this idea, any plans to make the led backup lights and sell em in the mall? I would definately be interested in buying a set, would be nice to actually see behind me when backing up lol...

How much did this project cost you overall?
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
Nice writeup, + for the step by step instructions
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mister:

With some advice from Marvin McInnis eventually I've used a higher resistor to protect the LEDs from over heating.

Very nice writeup, and thanks for the credit even though my contribution was minimal.

For your next project, however, I recommend that you try using a constant-current regulator rather than a simple fixed resistor to set the operating current of the LEDs. The advantage is that the current through the LEDs will remain constant despite variations in the car's system voltage (typically from 12 to 15 volts) and with from one to three LEDs in a string, all without having to change the resistor value. The only disadvantage to using a simple constant-current regulator is that you will only be able to connect a maximum of three LEDs in series an any single string, but that's probably the maximum number you should have been using anyway.

All you need to make a simple constant-current regulator for LEDs is a Fairchild LM317T (or equivalent) voltage regulator and a single 1/4-watt resistor. The LM317T is a very common electronic part; as of today they are readily available from DigiKey for $0.48 each and from Mouser for $0.43 each, and allegedly still available from Radio Shack (but the LM317T isn't a cell phone, so YMMV ) for $2.29 each. Here is how the circuit looks:

You connect the car's battery voltage (+12 volts or higher) to the INPUT, and connect a series string of up to three LEDs to the OUTPUT. The resistor value (in ohms) is simply 1250 divided by the LED current (in milliamps), and if that's too much math ( ) there is even a handy calculator available on-line to help. For experimenting, you could even add a potentiometer in series with the fixed-value resistor and achieve variable output current control. For example, a 12 ohm fixed resistor in series with a 250 ohm potentiometer would allow you to vary the LED current smoothly from 5 ma to 100 ma. Just be sure that value of the fixed resistor is high enough that the circuit can't exceed the absolute maximum current rating of the LEDs you're using.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-16-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, thank you

Originally posted by Fieromaniac: My Taillightset has 0 Zero Nada Niete Null Nix defect LED and that after 8 Month in a Daily driver ( only some solderings went bad and i had to resolder them ) and keep in mind that we talk about 598 LED in the taillights

Agreed. So, you have to reopen the tail lights to fix the soldering, that can't be fun. what type of sealer did you use?

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:...any plans to make the led backup lights and sell em in the mall?

Unlikely, as most of these projects - the time spent (even 2nd time around) is waaaay to much to be worth a reasonable price.
I don't love money as much as I love my Fiero LOL

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:...would be nice to actually see behind me when backing up lol...

If you want more light then stock, I would recommend going with option 2 - from what I've read the fog lights provide the best result for light. My setup does not provide a significant improvement over stock reverse light (remember the lights are brighter but lower and smaller), it was made to solve the "problem" I've created modifying the tail lights. it's more of a "looks" thing, and a cool factor.

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:How much did this project cost you overall?

$20 for a set of rear reflectors and trunk lights (for experiment)
$17.48 for 30 LEDs shipped from HK (used only 16)
$15 +/- Soldering wire, wiring, plastic tubing, resistors
$ 7 for the clear reflectors.
$ 3 Hot glue
$$ Tools
And about 10 hours work - Priceless
(Edited 1st post to add this info)

Let's say roughly $40-60 should get you going. I would highly recommend getting a Dremmel tool if you don't already have one. It just makes life better. I got one on sale for $25.

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis: For your next project, however, I recommend that you try using a constant-current regulator rather than a simple fixed resistor to set the operating current of the LEDs.

Thanks Marvin, I'm there are more LED projects to come LOL...I just love the versatility of this media.

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 10-03-2008).]

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
Very impressive!
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
YGPM
ss85fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ss85fieroSend a Private Message to ss85fieroDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. You mentioned hk as where you got the led's from. I am not familiar who that is. Do you have a web address for them?

------------------
87 fiero gt 4.9
99 trans am ls1
86 fiero se 2.8 (eventually to be a 3.8sc)

PFF
System Bot
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Thank you.

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:YGPM
PMR

Originally posted by ss85fiero: Very nice. You mentioned hk as where you got the led's from. I am not familiar who that is. Do you have a web address for them?

Light of Victory Led Store from HK = Hong Kong

helmet1978

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Direct Link to This Post
You're almost as nuts as me with the rear lights

I like you're solution on the rear reflectors. Now that my LED taillight project is just about done I've been looking at what to do with the rear reflectors and might do somethign similar to give me some more backup light power.

------------------
http://www.raceme.cc/helmet/

[This message has been edited by helmet1978 (edited 10-03-2008).]

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
nice work tal....tim
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

My setup does not provide a significant improvement over stock reverse light

I applaud your honesty. It's difficult for some experimenters to admit a truth like this after they've invested a lot of thought, time, and effort in a project. If you are pleased with the results, that should be reward enough.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-04-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis: I applaud your honesty...

Thanks
It is most important for me not to provide misleading info. This mod has provided me with the right solution to my tail light mod.
I find them both very clean looking and refined. That's it that's all
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
It looks awesome! (Oh Matt...... :-) ). Anyways, I think you are in the wrong career field. You should be the next major auto modder! :-)
ionstorm666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ionstorm666Send a Private Message to ionstorm666Direct Link to This Post
Tal,

I really like the LED reverse lights in the reflectors. They look like they should have come that way from the factory.

Ian
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Thank you both
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Marvin, I'm there are more LED projects to come LOL...I just love the versatility of this media.

You might want to bookmark this application note from Avago Technologies for future reference: Driving high power and high brightness LEDs. Look particularly at the constant-current LED driver circuit using the LM2941T voltage regulator IC.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-18-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Good info, thank you.
PFF
System Bot
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2008 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Up....
Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2008 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
One more question for you, as I about to start modifying the tail light housing with red lenses....

What gauge wire did you use for the reverse lights when running new wire from the harness? And when you put the spare reverse light surround in, what did you use and what were the measurements to secure it to the tail light housing? Looks to me like a piece of aluminum that the light surround is attached to...Any certain thickness?
Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2008 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne: What gauge wire did you use for the reverse lights when running new wire from the harness?

- I am not sure of the gauge (most likely 16), I found another tail light wiring harness from a parts car.
Make sure your wires are the same as the stock ones.

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:And when you put the spare reverse light surround in, what did you use and what were the measurements to secure it to the tail light housing? Looks to me like a piece of aluminum that the light surround is attached to...Any certain thickness?

- The extra light housing is cut and glued in with lots of epoxy. The bolts are holding the aluminum sheet to create a bigger reflecting surface.
There are no specific measurements as this was an "artistic" experimental project LOL. Try to get as close as you can to the original reverse light size this will provide an even light spread.
If I was to do this again, I would try to get a bigger reflector in the space available so the point where the left & right tail lights meet doesn't look dark.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 11-21-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2008 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Up...
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-18-2008 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Very impressive work there Mister. (Sounds like I am talking to my kid.) lol. I am in complete awe in your work. Also the way, and the places you take your pics. Can't wait for the weather to break, just to try and create some photos like yours. Thumbs up to you and your work. Don't ever stop posting.

------------------
Tony K

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2009 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania: Very impressive work there Mister...

Thanks man.

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 02-25-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock