2M4 build thread by HC
Started on: 09-01-2008 09:11 PM
Replies: 47
Last post by: HC on 02-18-2009 03:26 PM
HC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Hi all. We're by now familiar with the classic build thread. Heres my first.

Concept

First of all a bit of BG info. I bought myself a 1984 2M4 for Christmas in 05. Ugly lip and everything.

I've done some stuff to it but nothing worthy of a real thread, its just starting to get to where I want it to go.

Minus the lip and with 1 year old paint.

This is how the car looks like right now.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Doors closed.

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 09-01-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Some old pictures.

I need to put these in.

I put in a new water pump last year.

39k+ miles about 2 years ago.

Stereo was stolen about 2 years ago.

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post

HC

691 posts
Member since Feb 2006
I fabricated some mounts for the front and rear bumper yesterday.

Rear.

Front.

[Edit: 300th post!]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Replied, Thanks.
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post

HC

691 posts
Member since Feb 2006

Breaking news... There is a 95% chance of me getting a parts car this weekend, its a 86 fastback. I need a lot of aero body mounts and fixtures. I'll have to wait to see if I could use the smooth moldings from the parts car and get rid of mine. I've thought about rebuilding the 2.8 thats currently in there. Hmm...

Some nice car sightings.

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2008 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Bump
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2008 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post

HC

691 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Just got my brake pads replaced, I changed my own front shocks, and still looking for a decent set of rims. I gotta get the rear ones replaced and the lowring springs put in.

This is the rear side of the Concept Fiero

I spotted this fastback in the car wash parking lot on 20th st and Highland. Anybody here? Flush mounted headlamps.

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 09-27-2008).]

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2008 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
I bought fiberglass materials.
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2008 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
Going to turn out nice when finish can,t wait to see more

...Rob
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:

Hi all. We're by now familiar with the classic build thread. Heres my first.

Concept

It took me a couple minutes of viewing before I noticed that the mouldings were missing...cool !
PFF
System Bot
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
I think getting rid of the molding updates the car by 5-6 years.

I found a Dodge Avenger dashboard for 50 bucks at the junkyard.... Still thinking about buying it, would definitely save me years of fiberglass work to the dashboard... Don't know what to do about the doors though...

About the short fiberglass post, I had company and just posted it like that. What I meant is that I purchased a bunch of materials

Concept dashboard
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post

HC

691 posts
Member since Feb 2006
http://veyr0nsfiero.blogspot.com/ << Started this yesterday, don't know for what, suggestions?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Nice dash. Are you using the stock instrument pod? You could probably just keep the doors stock &/or just modify the armrest/door handles.
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
I have no idea what I would do to the pod, the more and more I think about it I think I'm gonna just keep everything in its stock locations, just get rid of the retro line that surrounds the cockpit. And just reupholster the whole thing in black/tan or black/black suede. I'm also thinking about glassing the surround console for the stereo, the plate for it, the shift surround and my subwoofer housing into a one piece.

I don't know how I could only modify the armrests, looking for a car with similar mounting tabs would be a pain... Any suggestions?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
If you want to keep the stock gauges you could do something like this. Just reshape the pod to work with your dash.

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Thats a very good looking dash, any more info on this particular one?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
A couple more pics on this thread.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/067230.html
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post

I just bought some used 18" rims, it has tiny tires though; 215/35/18, I need to get at least a set of 245/40/18.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. I would go with 215-225/40 up front, depending on the width. & wider at the rear. Then, drop the ride height like this one. Perfect.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 10-02-2008).]

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
That is one of the cars that I was looking at with 18" rims, looks pretty good! I found a place today that has a couple of used 245/45/18s for 90 bucks mounted and balanced, I'm thing of putting those in the back and keeping the lo-pros in the front till I get some more cash. Damn cash always gets me.

215/35/18s.

I already have the lowering springs and rear struts, the new front shocks are already installed.

PFF
System Bot
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Looks like what I did to my car! Same paint scheme and all. It began like as an abandonned white 85 coupe, which I bought from a scrap metal dealer.

Current pic is in my sig..

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association
Yellow 85 Notchback(A.K.A. GodFearN)

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2008 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Today my girlfriend helped me out. She was taking pictures and sanding stuff down.

I painted with resin one side of the headliner board.

One layer of fiberglass. Sanding down.

Repaired a damaged corner.

Ready for vinyl.

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 10-05-2008).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2008 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:

Thats a very good looking dash, any more info on this particular one?

That was a dash from a person at Crickettworks. His name is Scott and he purchased the moulds from the original designer. He offered to sell me the moulds for $25,000 which was way too much. He still has them but does not want to get into production. It is a beautiful dash kit. For those interested in making him an offer, you call him at (702) 263-9665 he screens his calls so you have to let him know you are interested in the moulds and then he will pick up. It is for the entire interior including door panels.

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2008 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to straighten up the edges of the shifter console housing. I'm using .99c contact cement and bamboo skewers to clamp it down.

Sanding the plate
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2008 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Do I have to get new lug nuts for the aftermarket rims or a new socket? The stock ones go in too far and I can't use the bar anymore. Any suggestions?

Edit to add: I also have the vinyl ready to go on the headliner, should I buy some thin sponge material to go in between? I was just going to use some commercial grade 3M spray on contact cement and hot glue for the corners.

I will take some more pictures too, as I'm almost done with the interior.

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 10-08-2008).]

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post

HC

691 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Areas that need to be worked on:

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:

Do I have to get new lug nuts for the aftermarket rims or a new socket? The stock ones go in too far and I can't use the bar anymore. Any suggestions?

Edit to add: I also have the vinyl ready to go on the headliner, should I buy some thin sponge material to go in between? I was just going to use some commercial grade 3M spray on contact cement and hot glue for the corners.

I will take some more pictures too, as I'm almost done with the interior.

Longer chrome nuts will look much better. If the old liner is falling apart I would strip off the old material & foam from the backer board, sand it smooth & glue on new foam.

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Its already fiberglassed

Edit to add: By no means am I trying to sound rude, but do you click on the icons that say 150<? I know i do all over the place, because it means a better format of a picture, and i have a good size screen. but is it something that nobody clicks and skips on? If it is, I'll only post in 640x480. Just a poll if you will.

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 10-09-2008).]

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post

HC

691 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Some pictures I just took, I might leave the tan and see what it looks like installed, but I'm personally against colors in the interior, I think it makes it look cheep compared to a stock new interior. But tan just looks so good with black!

Clear lenses (Very dirty BTW, and I know I need to redo my bumper)

As it stands

PFF
System Bot
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post

HC

691 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Almost done

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:

Its already fiberglassed

Edit to add: By no means am I trying to sound rude, but do you click on the icons that say 150<? I know i do all over the place, because it means a better format of a picture, and i have a good size screen. but is it something that nobody clicks and skips on? If it is, I'll only post in 640x480. Just a poll if you will.

Switch to standard 640, it loads faster. I only have a dialup modem. I would foam your liner before the fabric. It helps smooth out the appearance & give a soft texture.

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Which kind of foam? The roll kind, or the chemical foam for fiberglassing?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Thin 1/8"-1/4" open cell spongy upholstery foam, or 1/8" closed cell white foam. It comes in rolls & you can buy it by the yard at upholstery/fabric stores. The closed cell foam has a smooth surface so scuffing it with 220grit paper will improve adhesion & prevent peeling.
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Bought it, cut it, installed it,

And now the vinyl...
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

If you want to keep the stock gauges you could do something like this. Just reshape the pod to work with your dash.

Where does one get this dash?????????//
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Theres multi page threads on this dash, turns out the guy wants too much for the original molds for this ($25k) so it was never put into production aside from the ones already made some years ago (The pics are floating around). Its definitely a great looking dash.

You can get a great looking dash from a 3000GT, Dodge Stealth, Dodge Avenger, Pontiac Grand Prix/Am etc. For the time being I am repairing my original dash, as its not in a broken state, more of the fading and warping, I'm 70% done with mine. Vinyl spray paint, a yard of foam, a yard of headliner and some contact cement is all I'm going to need.
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2008 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
New concept image... Updates with the rims I have.
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2008 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post

HC

691 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Headliner in...

I don't think it went too bad the first time around...

This also needs a lot of work.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock