Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  V6 Engine Rebuild -mild performance- maniac way (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
V6 Engine Rebuild -mild performance- maniac way by Fieromaniac
Started on: 08-28-2008 02:21 PM
Replies: 78
Last post by: Fieromaniac on 01-16-2009 05:51 AM
Fieromaniac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2008 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
victim : 86 2.8V6 car had 103k mls on the clock

planned is 3.1 crank , portmatched intakes and exhaust , perf camshaft + lifters + 1.52 comp cams , 0.040 or maybe 0.060 oversize pistons

demontage

front head down ..... welcome to the colemine

cleaned the head a lil

fuelrail cleaned

injectors cleaned

previous owner liked oilleak stop and disliked oilchanges and loved mineral oil .......

dampener has to go

found something that surved its purpose as puller

block needs to be bored or i need another block

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX LPG

*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2008 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
portmatching the intakes

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 08-28-2008).]

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2008 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
gr8 post...
Eh but i have a question for u............But why????

Pls dont take this the wrong way..why go with a bigger and better engine( maybe i think it is german law or something) Why i ask is becuase i am all the time surfing the car add's for parts and extras in germany,,,like www.autoscout24.de www.mobile.de

All cars from german r WAY CHEAPER and NEWER then the crap we have over here in holland...

Remember just asking nice : :
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2008 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
When I saw this picture, I felt like I came onto the scene of of a bear attack. That engine is ugly. I tell people all the time never to use any stop leak products in their engine or coolant. I think I will save some of those pictures to show as proof.

I wish you luck on your buildup. It will be nice to see how it goes. Will you do anything to free up the intake or exhaust any?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2008 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ducattiman:

gr8 post...
Eh but i have a question for u............But why????

Pls dont take this the wrong way..why go with a bigger and better engine( maybe i think it is german law or something) Why i ask is becuase i am all the time surfing the car add's for parts and extras in germany,,,like www.autoscout24.de www.mobile.de

All cars from german r WAY CHEAPER and NEWER then the crap we have over here in holland...

Remember just asking nice : :

- my 87duke has around 220k mls on the clock and its starting to make rodbearing noises
- car goes around 25k km each year ( lpg conversion )
- need a spare engine for it and if i rebuild it i do it complete
- bigger engine = much more taxes per year ( 15,13 Euro per 100ccm = 423 Euro taxes per year for a 2.8 ...... 574,94 for a 3.8 )
- german cars are ugly electronic polluted monsters

and last but not least i like fixing or building things
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2008 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

When I saw this picture, I felt like I came onto the scene of of a bear attack. That engine is ugly. I tell people all the time never to use any stop leak products in their engine or coolant. I think I will save some of those pictures to show as proof.

Is all that crud the result of using "stop leak products" or simply from NEVER changing the oil?

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2008 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
That's the lack of changing one's oil for years on end. What a mess.

Fieromaniac you forgot piston/rods. The 3.1 crank will change your stroke length so you need the correct pistons and rods.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you need to consider some things before you put out a lot of cash. The mild port on your intake will not do very much at all. Especially with increasing your displacement to approximately 3.2 (3.1 crank w/ .060 over) My current engine is .050 over and I don't think it makes much of a difference at all. You might get more by raising your compression with Total Seal rings or decking. (cheaper too)

That intake really won't breath enough to give the car much oomph. If I was rebuilding again, with a view to freshening up the engine, I would port the heads, bigger cam, port the exhaust logs and Y, and replace the intake with the Trueleo. I think you'll get more with ported heads than increasing the displacement. If you do both porting heads and intake, your Fiero intake will starve you out at about 5200 rpm. There have been a few guys disappointed with their rebuilds' performance after a big cash outlay. You are well advised to do some more reading before laying out the cash. Hope this helps you

Arn

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2008 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Let me know if I can help with parts...
(I have my 'old' 2.8 sitting in a corner...may take it apart if needed, the goodies: it has low km rebuild+tested injectors and the stock exhaust manifolds are welded, ported and have resurfaced flanges...I also have some new 2.8 ignition parts, timing chain kit etc that I cant use anymore.)
Good luck with the rebuild !
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2008 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
upper intake all ports opened ( cleaning / painting later )

starting with the middle intake ( opened the first intakechannel up on its comlete lengh )
tools of my choice : dremel , rasp , flatfile ,

was at the engine shop today and 0.040 oversize should be ok now iam searching vor the correct 3.1 pistons ( rods are the same )

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 08-29-2008).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2008 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

You might get more by raising your compression with Total Seal rings or decking. (cheaper too)
That intake really won't breath enough to give the car much oomph. If I was rebuilding again, with a view to freshening up the engine, I would port the heads, bigger cam, port the exhaust logs and Y, and replace the intake with the Trueleo.
There have been a few guys disappointed with their rebuilds' performance after a big cash outlay. You are well advised to do some more reading before laying out the cash. Hope this helps you

Arn

-cant raise the compression because the engine will be propane powered like my duke now .
2nd fuel will be E85

- cam will be mild perf cam
rockerarms 1:1,52

- no racing or speeding planned with the car iam not in this age anymore
high RPM with propane is a no go
Just want some more power on the "Autobahn" between 120 and 160 kmh

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 08-29-2008).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

almost done with middle and upper intake

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 09-02-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006
@FieRo

Timingchain Kit , ignitionstuff and manifolds would be great

falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2008 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
OMG

Those little 2.8 are tougher than I ever imagine

This picture must be sent to GM as proof of reliability

------------------
""I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

@FieRo

Timingchain Kit , ignitionstuff and manifolds would be great

That reminds me to respond to your pm
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
130whp here we come!
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
OMG

Can someone call the Internet Police and report that the RTF Trolls have escaped again
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
130 WHP doesnt sound too bad when you add the auto trans loss mated to the rebuild engine..
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

130 WHP doesnt sound too bad when you add the auto trans loss mated to the rebuild engine..

130 hp on the wheels are really enough for a daily driver ( between 80 and 200km each day sometimes more ).
2nd goal will be to raise the mpg .
Tranny needs to stay the automatic because my wife is to short to drive comfortable with shifted Fiero
at least she dont like it

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

That reminds me to respond to your pm

PM System dont work for me thats why i deactivated it .
i had send you a mail .

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Yes your are right, so I replied your email
SCCAFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCAFieroSend a Private Message to SCCAFieroDirect Link to This Post
I did not think you could fit a 3.1 crank into a pre 88 block. The 3.1 crank is internally balanced and had the extra ring in the middle. Has someone else done it?
PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCAFiero:

I did not think you could fit a 3.1 crank into a pre 88 block. The 3.1 crank is internally balanced and had the extra ring in the middle. Has someone else done it?

http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/gm2831stkr.html

"....Any GM Vehicle mid-1985 or Newer that originally came with a 2.8L Engine....."

didnt bought the Kit from ARI i got the stuff seperately
new crank with bearings 120,00 Euro ( us-parts-online.de)
pistons with methanol / LPG Rings 58$ ( ebay )
SCCAFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCAFieroSend a Private Message to SCCAFieroDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, I bet you still need the newer flywheel.

Good luck.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCAFiero:

Interesting, I bet you still need the newer flywheel.

Good luck.

dont know if i can reuse the 86 flexplate ( engine will be married with the TH125C in my 87 coupe )

85-87 flexplate:

88 flexplate:

the 88 flexplate looks far more neutral balanced to me .......
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
started with the lower intake

under side opened

not modified channels

1st channel opened Top view

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
Im in a plus giving mood a + to you for a nice detailed pic thread

Bah, I already gave you one... anyway, a good read!

[This message has been edited by Back On Holiday (edited 09-05-2008).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
got this today :

my DHL mailman is starting to love me i guess
i live in the 5th floor and he carried me the package right to my door

refreshed 3.1 crank with new bearings ( 120€ )
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

dont know if i can reuse the 86 flexplate ( engine will be married with the TH125C in my 87 coupe )

85-87 flexplate:

88 flexplate:

the 88 flexplate looks far more neutral balanced to me .......

You will need the 88 flexplate, the 3.1 crankshaft is internally balanced like the 88 2.8
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
found a flexplate in one of my garages and i think its from a 86Duke but it looks neutral balanced to me
Question is if i can use it with the V6

still waiting to get the pistons and the camshaft
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
got the pistons , headbolts and the pistonringset ( LPG / Methanol ) today

found for me a nice CRANE PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT 2030 Set in ebay and got it for 19,99 new with Lifters

special thx to FieRo he send me his Exhaust manifolds and some other very usefull stuff

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 11-05-2008).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
sheese, with those prices this might actually be worth your time.
PFF
System Bot
FIER086

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Direct Link to This Post
Did that 2.8 run like crap? I have heard you can you clean up an engine like that by switching to synthetic oil and changing it every 1000 miles or less for a long time to slowy degum an old engine. Is this true?

------------------
'86 2m4- Auto, Daily Driver
'87 GT - 5spd, Project Car
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
first weightbalancing without rings and rods
just removed some productionrests of the pistons

Intel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post
I really like this thread!
Nice to see someone on a mission and with the prices on those parts you would be a fool not to overhaul that engine!

+ for you
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
started with the heads today
first to do : valves out

dunno if the exhaust valves are saveable

cleaned the head a little

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 10-25-2008).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I just came upon this thread... I have to give you props for rescuing that abused little 2.8. Many, (including myself) would have turned it in as scrap iron. This is an interesting build up.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
wetsanding the intakes for smooth surfaces

porting the head

after wetsanding

before pic

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
had luck at ebay again

16$ for complete performance valve spring set (clevite)
15$ oilpump overhaulkit

still needed :

- hardened retainers and valvekeepers
- lower gasket set
- exhaust Y-pipe , cat ,egr tube
- new valves ( maybe )
- Rockerarms 1:1.52
- plugs, cables, some sensors ,filters

and last but not least a liquid propane injection system
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
found out that the valves are stainless steel already
( not magnetic ) but there are micro weldings on all of the exhaust valves and it would take me years
to get a good surface with my tools so i will get new valves because the seats are ok

question is now what valve is the better choice for a propane powered engine standard or stainless ?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
head intakeside done

exhaust side

before

after grinding

size before

size after

polished

2 done ,1 to go

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)