Started on: 06-17-2008 08:13 AM
Replies: 27
Last post by: 3.6lvvt6spdgt on 09-08-2008 01:28 AM
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2008 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
SO I figured it was time to start my build thread.

88GT 2.8 v6/5MT
72k miles

before:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

New parts:
Front wheel bearings
Poly front bushings
KYB front shocks
upper/lower ball joints
RD Comp II shifter
RD poly trans mounts
FS Ultimate dogbone
Saturn exhaust manifold stud kit
full tune up parts
MSD coil
MSD 6AL
MSD coil adapter harness
Oil pressure sending unit
Poly front and rear swaybar links
Turbo kit (not sure of brand)
7730 ECU
Evo 8 fuel pump
1/4 windows

Anyone able to identify this turbo kit?

So far I have the engine bay cleaned and painted. Most of the engine bits cleaned and painted. The heads where dropped off for a rebuild since the car smoked slightly on cold start and to get two broken studs removed. The entire front suspension has been removed. I need to get a torch and some hole saws to remove the UCA bushings.

More as I go.
------------------
1988 Fiero GT, LS4 swap soon
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 430whp
Nurburgring WARRIOR!!!!
Join fellow racers/owners at http://southeasternracing.com

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-17-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TiredGXP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2008 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPDirect Link to This Post
Cool, I'll be following this one.

Are you planning on doing anything to the bottom end?

Cheers

**Edit to add: Can you share some details on the exhaust manifold stud kit (P/N, source...)?

[This message has been edited by TiredGXP (edited 06-17-2008).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2008 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Not planning anything at the moment. I'll will probably start a LS4 swap by the end of the year.

stud kit can be picked up from the Fiero store:
http://www.fierostore.com/Product/Detail.aspx
Dgzfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2008 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DgzfieroSend a Private Message to DgzfieroDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any better pics of the exhaust side of the turbo. Itt kinda looks like a Nissan RB20-25 turbo. If it is it might be a KFG kit.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Its the KFG turbo kit from what I gather. I have always thought the supplied injectors (19lb) are way too small. I was running 88lb injectors on my Evo! For the Fiero I think I am going to need 30lb minimum. So if anyone wants a set of nearly new 19lb (yellow top) injectors, let me know.

Anyway, I finished rebuilding the front suspension but I am still waiting on my new shocks. Next I think I'll go ahead and swap the rear springs to lower it, prep the engine for the freshly rebuilt heads and modify the oil pan for the return line. If anyone has a copy of the KFG manual I'd really appriciate it! I PM'd Dennis so maybe he can hook me up there.

Next one, I am thinking of chargecooling the car. Not sure what my best bet is. Chemical intercooling would be the easiest and buy me some injector headroom. Meth injection is fairly simple and effective but I'd have to keep an eye on the meth level and will always cost me money to run. Or do I try to plumb in a A2W chargecooler? Very efficient (4x more than A2A) but adds weight, expensive to do properly and I just dont know how I would route it yet.... Grrrr
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
a frozenboost kit would work perfect for that setup, maybe even a bit overkill. Complete kit, and fairly simple... Weight would not be a concern, your already a tank as it is.

www.frozenboost.com
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2008 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Just got back from pick & pull. Scored a 7730 ECU for $30. 94deg here today so I was baking in those cars while trying to find a ECU. I think its from a '89 Corsica 3.1.

Tim's called me and my heads are finished. So I picked them up on the way home. I tell ya its near impossible to find a Fiero in a j-yard these days. Oh (wish) for the good old days.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2008 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Got the engine reassembled and decided to mock up the turbo. Of course now I find that it was made for an automatic. Motha F*&##!!!!!!!!!!!! So I need to source manual Y-pipe or modify this one as well as the down pipe. Oh well I wanted the inlet of the turbo facing the firewall anyway to aid in routing in a charge cooler. Time to order some stainless pipe.
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Paying attention... take pictures!

BTW with batch fire you can fire the injectors twice per the plugs once (once per revolution) so you should be fine with 30 lb injectors. 19 seems quite small though. Matt Hawkins put down over 400 whp with 38 lb injectors and batch fire...

Also you should go A2W intercooled. Thats the route im going. Only have 220 into parts for it too...
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
Dang it Steve, you didn't waste any time. Are you gonna stroke that motor to lower the compression? It doesn't sound like a very conservative turbo project. Nice garage.

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 06-20-2008).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Nah John I am gonna boost the stock engine till I find its limit and then swap in a 3500 at some point (repeat process). I just always wanted to tweak the 2.8 and now I can pretty much afford to do what I want to. After that, maybe the LS4 will get the nod. I dunno I am having way too much fun!
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2008 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Got the car all back together.

Before:

After:

Now that I seem to have most of the issues taken care of I can now sort out the turbo kit. As stated above my turbo kit turns out to be for an automatic and is missing quite a few bits. Heat shields arent that big of a concern since I am able to access a sheet metal press. I am going to drop off the car/turbo and y-pipe to a a buddy at a local muffler shop to have him sort out all piping. This way I can rotate the original KFG mount and have the inlet facing the firewall and route the downpipe down and below the trunk. I plan on keeping the exhaust as straight as possible so bye bye to all that silly cross-flow muffler stuff. I'll make sure to post up pics. Once I get that up and running I plan on adding chargecooling as well.

Now for the tuning. I purchased a 7730 ECU and some 30lb ford mustang injectors. Ryan is going to supply me with the base tune to get the car up and running. What do I need (exactly) to be able to tune/datalog/emulate on the 7730 ECU? I aleady purchaed the OBD1 USB cable. I was going to order the stuff from Moates. I like the Ostrich but dont know what all to get with it. Help!!

Also I'll be adding the 3500 starter and a Miata battery (along with the very short and simple exhaust) to help offset the added weight of the turbo kit. I am even looking into using the newer lighter 3x00 A/C compressor.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 06-30-2008).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2008 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Got the wheels ordered today.

Enkei RPF1

17x8 et45 front
18x8 et35 rear

tires BFG G-Force KD
245/45/17 front
255/35/18 rear

Wasnt cheap but I am sure they are going to be SWEET!
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2008 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:
After:

did you take the turbo out? i dont see anything in there, or is it buried in there somewhere?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2008 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Now that I seem to have most of the issues taken care of I can now sort out the turbo kit. As stated above my turbo kit turns out to be for an automatic and is missing quite a few bits. Heat shields arent that big of a concern since I am able to access a sheet metal press. I am going to drop off the car/turbo and y-pipe to a a buddy at a local muffler shop to have him sort out all piping.

When I went to mount the y-pipe I found the turbo would have set right on top of the shifter cables. So I had to abort the turbo installation. That kinda of turned out to be a good thing because I have found alot of small problem areas that needed attention before I tried to make the car fast. I have since dropped $2,700 on the car in the last 5 days. Rodney Dickman & the Fiero store must be quite pleased. LOL I still have to order a few odds and ends for my turbo kit as well as the G1 adapter and OSTRICH from moates.net.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2008 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
RPF1's mounted and I couldnt be happier. The car looks so sick now. I mean this bish is getting aggressive. I cant wait till the next stage!!

17x8 et45 front with 245/45/17
18x8 et35 rear with 255/35/18

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2008 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
Those wheels were my 2nd choice in the same sizes and offsets. The only reason I didn't choose them is that I wanted black wheels.

Looks awesome man!

------------------
'88 GT- 257rwhp 319rwft/lbs 12.74@106.2mph 1/4 mile

olaf_fiero27

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2008 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Direct Link to This Post
Props on that car man, it looks really sick with those wheels on it. I'll post up a pic of mine, its in primer but your cars giving me good ideas on mine. Nice ride
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
I have been working on the car bit by bit. Not much time off as a store manager but the money is nice... if I ever had time to spend it.

Anyway here is what I have been up to lately:

New Kenwood CD/MP3/USB blah balh blah head unit (NICE!)
Kicker 4x10 dash speakers
Infinity 3 way 4x6 rear speakers
4GB USB thumb drive, Now I can rock to all my old school music and never touch a CD again!

Replaced the pass side window motor since the window would only roll down a few inches. Now its so fast I am gonna have to replace the drivers side just to balance it out!

Replaced the aging stock crusty crab distributor. Man it made a world of difference on the overall driveability.

I installed a new dew wipe (outer weatherstrip) for the pass side door glass.

Replaced my broken coolant overflow bottle & cap.

Replaced the worn parking brake return springs. Found one of the bolts holding the caliper together was loose! YIKES! Stupid previous owner. Good news is that the pads/calipers and rotors all 'round are fairly new.

Oh and I got 3 out of the 4 RPF1 specific center caps on. Seems Discount Tire has me the 4th one on backorder (got it today, actually).

Fabbed up some MSD 8.5 wires from a SBC kit I had stashed away.

Then I decided to take a day off and get some turbo kit work done.

The test fit is going well. Everything is fitting well. Dropping the oil pan to add the oil return is gonna be... ummm... fun???

I need to get a few lines made but I am hoping to drive it by Sat night.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Steve. On the injectors; my first turbo build was on a stock 2.8L. With an aggressive tune we were able to get enough fuel from the stock 15lb injectors running at 100% duty cycle at WOT al the way to 9 pi of boost. . Its not recommended to run injectors above 80% duty cycle but since my engine was running at WOT for only 10-15 seconds at a time it didn't hurt the injectors one bit. At cruise RPM.s the 15 lb injectors worked just like on a stock 2.8L. When we did the follow on 3.4L turbo build and the engine used a cam, kit Ross Pistons , porting etc; we put in a set of Ford Motorsports 24 lb injectors. With a EP 376 Corvette fuel pump and a decent tune those injectors provided plenty of fuel right up to the redline. I would say 19 lb injectors are all that you'll need and these are readily available and cheap as they were used on 80's V8 Camaros and Firebirds. Enjoy the ride.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2008 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
nice build when you get it running get veido and post
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2008 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Nice work Steve. On the injectors; my first turbo build was on a stock 2.8L. With an aggressive tune we were able to get enough fuel from the stock 15lb injectors running at 100% duty cycle at WOT al the way to 9 pi of boost. . Its not recommended to run injectors above 80% duty cycle but since my engine was running at WOT for only 10-15 seconds at a time it didn't hurt the injectors one bit. At cruise RPM.s the 15 lb injectors worked just like on a stock 2.8L. When we did the follow on 3.4L turbo build and the engine used a cam, kit Ross Pistons , porting etc; we put in a set of Ford Motorsports 24 lb injectors. With a EP 376 Corvette fuel pump and a decent tune those injectors provided plenty of fuel right up to the redline. I would say 19 lb injectors are all that you'll need and these are readily available and cheap as they were used on 80's V8 Camaros and Firebirds. Enjoy the ride.

I actually have 15#, 19# (currently installed) and 24#'s to choose from. I still need a decent chip untill I get the 7730/OSTRICH installed. For some reason I cant seem to get my laptop to datalog the Fiero. Works fine on the Evo though. I need to figure out where to get my coolant source/return. Got a decent mild chip for 19#'s, Dennis?

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2008 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
so hows it going?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2008 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

I actually have 15#, 19# (currently installed) and 24#'s to choose from. I still need a decent chip untill I get the 7730/OSTRICH installed. For some reason I cant seem to get my laptop to datalog the Fiero. Works fine on the Evo though. I need to figure out where to get my coolant source/return. Got a decent mild chip for 19#'s, Dennis?

Steve:
We are not doing any programming for ECMs right now to concentrate on OBD2 tuning. We still have all the hardware and software but its all in mothballs right now. Darthfiero (Ryan) still does ECM chips and should be able to help you. I believe that he can supply a chip to work with a 2 BAR MAP

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
updates?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Hmm updates... I installed the oil cooler last night. Still chasing some cold start hesitation and EXTREME RICH condition. I have had to lower the base fuel pressure (while running) to 26-27psi. I borrowed a smoke machine to check for vac leaks. Fixed all but one major problem. The throttle body shaft seals leak like CRAZY! Oh and I found an oil leak at my oil return line.

So far:
Options:
5MT
Sunroof
A/C
Subwoofer (premium sound)
PWR Lumbar
PWR mirrors
PWR windows
Tilt
Cruise

Add ons:
Enkei RPF1 17x8 front/ 18x8 rear
BFG g-force 225/45/17 front/ 255/35/18 rear
KFG turbo kit
HKS SSQV
turbo has been rebuilt and the hot side ceramic coated
DEI heat wrap on the Y-pipe and downpipe
Perma-cool oil cooler
19# injectors
Holley adjustable FPR
Turbosmart boost controller
MSD 6AL
Mallory coil
MSD cap & rotor
MSD 8.5 wires
ported exhaust manifolds
Autometer boost gauge & pod
Moates Ostrich emulator (not installed NIB)
Moates ALDL cable (not installed NIB)
7730 ECU (not installed)
Moates G1 adapter not (installed NIB)
Tunerpro RT w/ serial key
2 bar map sensor
Evo VIII fuel pump w/ new strainer
RD UGSK
RD short shifter
RD black shift knob
RD shifter rebuild kit
RD poly engine mounts
RD poly trans mounts
RD front wheel bearings (not installed- bought as future spares)
RD upper & lower ball joints
RD outer tie rods
Fiero Store poly dog bone
FS dew wipes
FS fuel pressure gauge
FS TPS
FS coolant temp switch
FS 02 sensor
FS 192deg t-stat
FS parking brake cables (all of them)
FS parking brake return springs
FS parking brake equalizer
FS ignition module to coil jumper harness
FS front poly bushing set- full
FS clutch slave cylinder
FS distributor
FS drivers side reconditioned upper & lower door hinges
FS pass window motor
New fastback 1/4 windows (NIB)
KYB front shocks
KYB rear shocks
New strut mounts, dust boots and bump stops
GM coolant over flow bottle
GM headlight switch
GM spark plugs gapped @ .36
Kenwood CD/mp3/USB player
Infinity 4/6 3 way speakers
Kicker 4x10 2 way speakers
All the audio stuff installed properly with the correct wiring harness connectors etc sounds great.

Service/Maintenance:
Brakes flushed & filled
Coolant flushed and filled
Alignment with toe & camber adjusted
Engine bay cleaned and painted
Front suspension cleaned and painted
Trans drained and filled with Royal Purple syncroshift
Cylinder heads rebuilt
Lower and middle intakes hot tanked and cleaned
Valve covers and upper intake cleaned and painted

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 09-06-2008).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2008 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
so are you running a 2.8 or a 3.4?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock