Started on: 02-16-2008 01:33 AM
Replies: 58
Last post by: kevin on 02-20-2009 01:46 PM
RideZiLightning

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Any interest in a tube frame 88 cradle w/ links?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Can you be more specific? Costs? Improvements over a stock 88 cradle etc? I may be if the cost isn't too high.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:

Can you be more specific? Costs? Improvements over a stock 88 cradle etc? I may be if the cost isn't too high.

Dunno the cost yet, hopefully not too much. No changes would be made, just as a stock replacement or to have available for rear end swaps

Edit for the price

[This message has been edited by RideZiLightning (edited 02-18-2008).]

cowan1984

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowan1984Click Here to visit cowan1984's HomePageSend a Private Message to cowan1984Direct Link to This Post
what about making an 88-style cradle to fit 87 and earlier cars? give the rest of us a chance to eliminate bumpsteer without a goofy kit.
murrrey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for murrreySend a Private Message to murrreyDirect Link to This Post
yea, real interested, had the same idea my self

Originally posted by RideZiLightning:

murrrey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for murrreySend a Private Message to murrreyDirect Link to This Post

murrrey

194 posts
Member since Feb 2008
how about a tube frame chassis to go with that cradle.

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Well, the '88 cradle is a bolt-in deal, it's just that the angle of the struts is different so the tops have to be relocated

I am completely capable of making and providing brackets for conversions though
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

RideZiLightning

1540 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by murrrey:

how about a tube frame chassis to go with that cradle.

That isn't something I'd be interested in doing, don't think there would be much of a market for it. It'd also be alot of work lol

I'm thinking of this more being a service, than a money maker. There are not many '88s out there, or '88 parts cars. This way, anyone who wants an '88 rear, can have one.

Wouldn't have to dismember a Fiero to get it either
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
These would be cool, but I'd think shipping charges would be a killer on such a large heavy item. Can you produce and deliver these in a timely manner? Not trying to start an argument, but I seem to remember some problems with supplying seat covers to customers.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I am actually opening a shop here in Seattle, and all transactions would be done with a contract that would be handled through my Fathers law office to insure noone gets screwed over

I've had alot happen since then, and have changed alot because of it and other circumstances. Not a single person will EVER get ripped off by me again
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

RideZiLightning

1540 posts
Member since Jul 2006
O, and because the part would be so durable, you don't have to package and it can be shipped and handled as freight. Saves a bunch on shipping
PFF
System Bot
bamman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bammanSend a Private Message to bammanDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested, but the shipping cost is always so high. I have only been able to fine one '88 cradle at a good price but then the seller said they were unable to ship it. I would even be interested in a '88 cradle kit, (the four sides needing to be welded together) if the shipping was good for the smaller package. I would like to have one to put on a back burner in my plans for a TH425 swap.
85_Fiero_2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 85_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
Is shipping that bad? I had a 88 cradle shipped from CA to Buffalo NY for just over $40 with FedEx Ground.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
He's got it right, it really is quite cheap. You just gotta know how to send it
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85_Fiero_2M4:

Is shipping that bad? I had a 88 cradle shipped from CA to Buffalo NY for just over $40 with FedEx Ground.

lol.... Buffalo AKA "Cradle Hell" (btw I'm allowed to crack the buffalo jokes .... it's Home )

[This message has been edited by Richjk21 (edited 02-16-2008).]

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
Just one question, you said the new cradles will have the 3 links on both sides, but if there is an 84-87 owner wanting this for the 88 cradle swap what about the rear lower strut mounting point link attachment.

------------------
Go here to see more of my Formula: " TARGET=_blank>http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/430754

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
If these get off the gound. I would be intrested. Shipping would not be an issue, as Tacomoa is only a couple hours drive for me.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

Coinage

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoinageClick Here to visit Coinage's HomePageSend a Private Message to CoinageDirect Link to This Post
how about an aluminum one?
gladiator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gladiatorSend a Private Message to gladiatorDirect Link to This Post
Fierokid 87 has a point. People wanting to change out cradles in the earlier cars would still need the spindles in addition to the strut relocation kit. Any ideas there?

Gary
Fierostarvin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinDirect Link to This Post
If the weather ever warms up I'm going to need a set of strut adapters
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
Could you offer the cradle with the front member moved forward for us doing a N* swap?

------------------
'88 Coupe (extensive mods underway)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/086359.html

PFF
System Bot
turbotoad

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbotoadSend a Private Message to turbotoadDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm, sound good and all, but I'm curious about what type of "engineering" will go into these cradles. Do you have access to finite element analysis modeling to analize the forces and stress points? Will there be any testing and/or verification that the cradles are capable of handling the loads placed on it by not only stock powertrain configurations, but also high performance engine and chassis modifications? Do you have access to manufacturing/assembly facilities and processes that will ensure that things like material specs, welding, build tolerances, etc... are understood and controlled?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see you do something like this. But I'm a little concerned that building and then selling something as critical to the vehicles safety & performance as the cradle is not to be taken lightly. I know one of the engineers who helped develop the original rear cradles and he has told me that GM spent over 2 years developing the rear cradles before they finally got a design that wouldn't fail under testing. If it took GM with several professional engineers and multi-thousands of dollars 2 years to come up with a viable cradle design, then you better know what the heck your doing if you think you can build one of equal quality and durability. Simply welding some tubing together in the garage ain't gonna cut it.

Best of luck
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HTXtremes:

Could you offer the cradle with the front member moved forward for us doing a N* swap?

I second that!
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbotoad:

Hmmmm, sound good and all, but I'm curious about what type of "engineering" will go into these cradles. Do you have access to finite element analysis modeling to analize the forces and stress points? Will there be any testing and/or verification that the cradles are capable of handling the loads placed on it by not only stock powertrain configurations, but also high performance engine and chassis modifications? Do you have access to manufacturing/assembly facilities and processes that will ensure that things like material specs, welding, build tolerances, etc... are understood and controlled?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see you do something like this. But I'm a little concerned that building and then selling something as critical to the vehicles safety & performance as the cradle is not to be taken lightly. I know one of the engineers who helped develop the original rear cradles and he has told me that GM spent over 2 years developing the rear cradles before they finally got a design that wouldn't fail under testing. If it took GM with several professional engineers and multi-thousands of dollars 2 years to come up with a viable cradle design, then you better know what the heck your doing if you think you can build one of equal quality and durability. Simply welding some tubing together in the garage ain't gonna cut it.

Best of luck

The cradle I designed was built in SolidWorks and then stress tested with Cosmos. It will be 100% safe before I start selling

I will have my prototype on a 3800sc car, and will do extensive driving with it to ensure the strength

Originally posted by Fierokid87:

Just one question, you said the new cradles will have the 3 links on both sides, but if there is an 84-87 owner wanting this for the 88 cradle swap what about the rear lower strut mounting point link attachment.

Are you talking about the sway bar attachment?

I wasn't really wanting do aluminum, it'd be more expensive, and I don't think the weight savings will really be worth it.

I can make the cradle however you want it, just tell me what to do. Special orders will of course cost more. If there is enough interest in N* cradles, then perhaps it will be the same price

[This message has been edited by RideZiLightning (edited 02-17-2008).]

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

RideZiLightning

1540 posts
Member since Jul 2006
Bump for the answers
tvelarde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tvelardeClick Here to visit tvelarde's HomePageSend a Private Message to tvelardeDirect Link to This Post
Can you give me an address to come see the cradle? I live in Oak Harbor and would drive down, I need an 88 cradle now. Or email me and give me a phone number to call you. Use this forum email or andykeene@hughes.net
HTXtremes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
I'd buy one for the N* just to have for my next build! Just so I could mock up everything even before I got the next car.

------------------
'88 Coupe (extensive mods underway)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/086359.html

BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HTXtremes:

I'd buy one for the N* just to have for my next build! Just so I could mock up everything even before I got the next car.

Same here, I am in the need of two right now . . . it is getting harder to find good cradles to work with . . . and if i could get on already setup for a N* Man, that would be great!!
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I just talked to my steel supplier and with the quote he gave me, I can't guarantee any prices yet.

I'll just have to let you guys know once I'm done making the first.
chrisgtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpDirect Link to This Post
you cant just slap a few peices on the ground and expect them to be leval you will need a table made for building frames. also what are your welding skills? there is now way i wuld ever let some one who never went to school or at least worked as a welder for a few years weld a part like this
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I worked at Paraflex Inc. in Tacoma as a machinist and welder, and recently got a job at Genie welding lifts

Not worth it to say sh*t to you

[This message has been edited by RideZiLightning (edited 02-18-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Should this project get off the ground and into production, I'd highly advise the originator to buy some insurance to cover the possibility of getting sued by someone "if" or "when" this product ever fails or contributes to or can be blamed in anyway for the loss of a vehicle, property or life of an driver, occupant, bystander or other vehicles that might be involved in an incident where the vehicle possessing the cradle may have been at fault. The cradle doesn't have to be at fault, a good lawyer can always find a way to hook another entity into the fray. It's all about dollars. Cover your butt. Having said that, good luck with the project.

------------------
Ron

It's the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us the freedom of the press.
It's the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us the freedom of speech.
It's the Soldier, not the politicians
That ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
It's the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag.

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Already got it covered
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Should this project get off the ground and into production, I'd highly advise the originator to buy some insurance to cover the possibility of getting sued by someone "if" or "when" this product ever fails or contributes to or can be blamed in anyway for the loss of a vehicle, property or life of an driver, occupant, bystander or other vehicles that might be involved in an incident where the vehicle possessing the cradle may have been at fault. The cradle doesn't have to be at fault, a good lawyer can always find a way to hook another entity into the fray. It's all about dollars. Cover your butt. Having said that, good luck with the project.

Just sell it as off road only
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
Just sell it as off road only

Jake,
That's why you make the big bucks.

------------------
Ron

It's the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us the freedom of the press.
It's the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us the freedom of speech.
It's the Soldier, not the politicians
That ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
It's the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Its not rocket science, all you need is a good cradle. Once you have a jig of all the mounting points its just a matter of cutting the tube.
I just cant seem to be in the right place when I was welding I was just getting by, its hard to pay for school, a house and utilities plus have anything left over for fun. Now I do make good money but I don't have the same resources that I had when I was welding.

Couple of 6 inch I beams, 2 inch tubbing and you could fab up a pretty good jig. As long as its flat and square to work off of you could probably knock it out in a long weekend. But you have to have the tools and steel. I don't have access to either one. Anyone want to loan me a shop for a couple of days?

http://www.team321.com/ Dave has some replacement frames already made but they are not stock.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 02-18-2008).]

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2008 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...06-2-068082.html#p11

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2008 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by opm2000:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...06-2-068082.html#p11

What about it?
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2008 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
What about it ?

Well, In as much as you haven't shown or discussed what your proposed cradle would look like or be fabricated from, I thought this thread might be usefull. It shows several variations on a theme.

I hope this was helpfull.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2008 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Well, the '88 cradle is a bolt-in deal, it's just that the angle of the struts is different so the tops have to be relocated

I am completely capable of making and providing brackets for conversions though

Are you saying you can make the adapter brackets for the struts that are needed to install the '88 cradle on a pre-'88 car? If so, how much? Cheaper than Held does?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock