Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Notchback Taillight custom LED-setup (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Notchback Taillight custom LED-setup by Fieromaniac
Started on: 11-25-2007 02:39 PM
Replies: 95
Last post by: Dash on 01-19-2009 08:44 PM
Fieromaniac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
Moin ,

iam currently working on LED Taillights for the notchie
plan is to integrate the LED into the original lenses

here a Taillight dissassembled

photoshop of the Red lense
T = Turnlight
B = Backlight
S = Stoplight

inner lens

i ordered for the Mainfunctions 10mm 70000mcd LED red
and 10mm 140000mcd bright white

Pontiac will be with 5mm 10000mcd

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero <- Ethanol powered Batmobile
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX <-LPG powered family car

*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Dude that is one sweet idea (why do I sound like a surfer dude...man...)

You got some good mods going on your FIero
like the dash //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/065813.html

I think it would look great but the pontiac will not look close to the FB if that's what you're aiming for
Anyway, keep us posted please, Make it happen and sell it!

I moded the tail light all red, and it looks much "cleaner" I'll have to think how to do your PONTIC mod with LEDs

------------------

T-Top Conversion~Dual HUD~LED Setup~Red Fieros~Montreal Club

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 11-25-2007).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
I`ll try to duplicate the PONTIAC from the Fastback Taillights with LED .
the LED i ordered are nearly white or only little red when disengaged so ypu wont see the PONTIAC on the first sight when light is off.

I want to make the modified lense easy to install with no mods needed on the original Cables . Iam thinking about an adapter that fit into the Lamp bulbs

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I see you have yellow/amber lens covers. How did you get those? I was always wondering if I could get notchies in Europe. I know Europe doesn't allow red turn signals..

-M
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mister:

Dude that is one sweet idea (why do I sound like a surfer dude...man...)

You got some good mods going on your FIero
like the dash //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/065813.html

I think it would look great but the pontiac will not look close to the FB if that's what you're aiming for
Anyway, keep us posted please, Make it happen and sell it!

I moded the tail light all red, and it looks much "cleaner" I'll have to think how to do your PONTIC mod with LEDs

hehe you sound like the " ... dude where is my Car ... " guy

btw. my Fiero is Black and my outer Taillightglass is also tinted black ( little ) so basically almost the same idea
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Hey, I see you have yellow/amber lens covers. How did you get those? I was always wondering if I could get notchies in Europe. I know Europe doesn't allow red turn signals..

-M

here in Germany there are a lot US Cars with the original red turnsignals
for the amber lense , its only dirty and supposed to be the normal white lense . the rest is the bad light and my camera i guess
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
How did you get yours apart without damaging them (lense off the housing) i need to pull mine apart to clean them out
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
you must be veeeeery carefully when you lift up the clips that hold the outer glass to the lamp body
And only do it when the Lamp was longer time in a warm room , i took mine into the house, positioned it infront of the radiator and waited 2 hours.
The Lenses (Red and White parts )came out very easy

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

swisscheese

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I know Europe doesn't allow red turn signals..

-M

Thank god, we are not Europe (not EU anyway ) in Switzerland! So no problem with this here!

I'm thinking about modifying my Fastback turnsignals to make them flash red. I really hate those amber ones...

I really like this idea with the LEDs. so keep us updated on this!
helmet1978

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I did some research into this type of mod as well. I haven't got all my parts yet but here are a couple of links you might want to look at before you start building:

Resistor Calculator for LEDs

SuperBright LEDs

Enjoy!

------------------
http://www.raceme.cc/helmet/

Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

Moin ,

iam currently working on LED Taillights for the notchie
plan is to integrate the LED into the original lenses

here a Taillight dissassembled

photoshop of the Red lense
T = Turnlight
B = Backlight
S = Stoplight

inner lens

i ordered for the Mainfunctions 10mm 70000mcd LED red
and 10mm 140000mcd bright white

Pontiac will be with 5mm 10000mcd

The DOT German guys from TÜV will make a rain dance if they see that ...................
PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Torch-Red87:

The DOT German guys from TÜV will make a rain dance if they see that ...................

..... schweig er still, grindbärtiger .....

didnt intend to sell them or use them while driving on official streets its just a project

but to make the thing streetlegal i would need to buy 6 of the Hella Universal Kits with ABE and rearrange the LEDs (asked already an TÜV engeneer about that )

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 11-28-2007).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
got the LED today

checked them all and all 580 are ok

here the 10mm red for the mainfunctions

the white 10mm for the reverse gear light

the 5mm for the "PONTIAC"

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

checked them all and all 580 are ok

Only you can do that...LOL any progress ?

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
tomorrow iam back home from x-mas holidays then i can continue working on the project

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

got the LED today

what does that warning sticker say on that package? I bought a bunch of LED's from one of the sellers on ebay, and they dont have stickers like that on the package. I can only guess it says something about not handling them with bare hands, and ive been making taillights for motorcycles, and made a custom mag light with uv blacklight LED's.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Cool project, I'll be watching this one.
nismokidd12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nismokidd12Send a Private Message to nismokidd12Direct Link to This Post
to make the L.E.D. tail lights work do u have to have any additional electronics? or can you just wire them right up? i bought a couple sets of 2.5" round red L.E.D. tail light conversion with.. and some one said id need some more electronic parts to make them work....

------------------

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
different colored LED's have a different "voltage drop" across the diode. This means, that if you have an LED that operates between 3.4 and 3.8V, you dont want to hook them straight up to a 12v source or you will burn it up. Now you could wire up 3 of them in series and it would work, as the 12v source wont burn the diode out. Ideally you want to make it perfect so you would also want to install a 220 ohm resistor on the positive side of the last resistor in line to the power source.

Check these out, they have helped me understand LED's a ton better since i have been experimenting with them lately.

http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html
http://www.ledcalc.com
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

what does that warning sticker say on that package? I bought a bunch of LED's from one of the sellers on ebay, and they dont have stickers like that on the package. I can only guess it says something about not handling them with bare hands, and ive been making taillights for motorcycles, and made a custom mag light with uv blacklight LED's.

yellow Sticker says : Attention observe precautions for handling electrostatic sensitive devices
white sticker says : 10mm RED LED , 70000mcd , 1.9-2.3 Vf , 625-635 Wd , 300 pieces

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006

Originally posted by nismokidd12:

to make the L.E.D. tail lights work do u have to have any additional electronics? or can you just wire them right up? i bought a couple sets of 2.5" round red L.E.D. tail light conversion with.. and some one said id need some more electronic parts to make them work....

i will install stabilized powersources for every cirquit to save the LED from powerspikes of the starter

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

PFF
System Bot
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post

i will install stabilized powersources for every cirquit to save the LED from powerspikes of the starter

A heavy duty 15/16V Zener in series with a capacitor to ground in parallel with the lights should do the trick instead of really fancy power supplies.

[This message has been edited by AP2k (edited 01-02-2008).]

MartyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MartyKSend a Private Message to MartyKDirect Link to This Post
I have done quite a bit of research on LED's and I can tell you that you will need to have a resistor for any LED array. Everything that I have read says to run them in series arrays utilizing parallel for supply and ground, simply put you will need to have several resistors. Use this website to set up your arrays, it seems to work best: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

On another note, the picture shows stoplight, Turn signals and Backup lights. I do not see Tail lights (parking lights). To answer a question from earlier you CAN hook your LED's up to a 12V power source and with the proper resistor they will work fine. The thing that I had to do is figure out how to make the Parking lights and the Brake Lights work off the same Diodes (LED's). LED's are not voltage variable, in short they burn at the same intensity with 12 V as they do with 8 volts so what you do to Dim them is turn them off and on very fast. I am using a 555 timer circuit and have prototyped my circuit, it works good on the breadboard. Total cost purchasing the components from Radio Shack was about 5 bucks. If anyone is interested in the circuit basics go here: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm

Hope I did not hijack this at all, I am very interested in this thread and will be watching the progress closely.

Good luck !!! Marty
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
3 holes done , 577 to go ......

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 01-05-2008).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Another nice project ! I have to ask though, do you have plans to take more advantage of this Led setup...like sequential turnleds, grouping leds so they show a particular shape when lighting up...you could do some weird stuff good luck !
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Another nice project ! I have to ask though, do you have plans to take more advantage of this Led setup...like sequential turnleds, grouping leds so they show a particular shape when lighting up...you could do some weird stuff good luck !

i was thinking about 2 or 3 styles/wiring variants to be able to change the style of the taillights from the driverseat

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I have a question..

I have quite a few led's of different sizes and shapes. How can I tell how much voltage/current they require?
Like how do I tell if they are a 10mm 70000mcd LED or 10mm 140000mcd

oh and the little "flag" in them is always the pos. lead ?

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I have a question..

I have quite a few led's of different sizes and shapes. How can I tell how much voltage/current they require?
Like how do I tell if they are a 10mm 70000mcd LED or 10mm 140000mcd

oh and the little "flag" in them is always the pos. lead ?

the mcd number alone tells you nothing because you will need to know the angle of the LED
a LED spot with 350.000 mcd and 60° Angle has the same brightness like an 5.000.000 mcd spot with 10° angle
so its hard to find out the correct mcd . best would be if you take an Lux meter or you will need an goniometer
http://www.laser2000.de/index.php?id=367933

or you use a simple trick :

take a candle , a piece of paper with a spot of oil in the middle.
if you hold the paper in front of the candle , the spot will be brighter . now if you have a lightsource on the other side of the paper with the same distance like the candle to the paper , the spot will be invisible when your lightsource has 1cd = 1000mcd.
if the spot dissapear with the distance doubled , your light will spread over an area 4 times bigger = 4000 mcd .

If your candle is 10cm away from the paper and your led is around 40cm from the paper when the spot become invisible , your LED has around 64000mcd

typical voltagelevels are
infrared : 1,2 ..... 1,8 V
red : 1.6..... 2.2 V
yellow , green 1.9 ......2.5 V
blue , uv , white 3....4 V (typ. 3.4V )

anode is the longer foot
kathode the shorter

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 01-06-2008).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
Lenses are quite breakeable so i have to use the dremel for each hole instead of a accudrill

testfitted some LED and the outer cover

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Really nice project you have there man, can't wait to see this unfold.

IMO, I would redesign the Pontiac lettering, not as tall and skinny, Maybe a little more stylized? I would do the whole part without the lettering and then go from there.

*ka-ching!* Just my 2¢.

(edited to korect speeling)

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 01-08-2008).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

I know it's too late in the process since you already got 580 LEDs, but I think RED LEDs would have looked better in the overall look of it.
They are probably not as bright or good, but when you have this many, it should have worked nicely.

Good luck anyway man, and please keep the pics coming
PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
me thought that the RED LED will be in a red case but as you see its white clear for some reason but they emmit red Light as you see some posts above.

thats one of the problems when you order stuff from the other side of the world .... in my case from hongkong

i think i have to tint the outer taillight cover in black then like you suggested before
------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 01-09-2008).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2008 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
red lense of the right side has been completed ( 150 red LED ) ,
tomorrow ill start with the white part (TIAC and reverse gear light)
pics follow

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
Help me decide :

PONTIAC

or

FIERO

for the middle of the Taillights

.... i know next Taillightset ill do will be with RGB LED for changing the colors of the letters

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

Racing_Master

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterDirect Link to This Post
I say put PONTIAC, like the GTs
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Both. Have a relay light the correct bulbs.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
And sneak it through german inspection
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
too bad that i cannot take Pics atm .... i killed my cellphone (k800i) so no digicam atm till its back

on topic :

i choose to make FIERO in the middle because with only 200LED i couldnt find a good looking pattern to realize PONTIAC
and i already have " Pontiac" on my rear bumper
@FIE RO
iam not afraid of the inspection because the lights dont come into my daily driver
they are for my blue 84 sport for meetings and fun only it has "5 Day plates" no inspection needed
btw. the blue thing will get also one of these here :

made by a friend of me

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 01-15-2008).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
current state :

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1984 Fiero SE

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Jeez, intense project, I am awaiting my shipment of 200 10mm red LEDs from hong kong as well.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock