Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Making a "new" GT front bumper, any ideas, Build already in progress

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Making a "new" GT front bumper, any ideas, Build already in progress by pacethis
Started on: 10-18-2007 12:30 AM
Replies: 24
Last post by: exoticse on 12-27-2008 08:50 AM
pacethis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

In preparation for getting my car back on the road again, I decided I should finish the bodywork I started when deciding to make the fastback conversion. (by the way, if anyone has a driver's GT rocker, I'm in need) The front bumper I had from the GT was intact, but the top left corner was pretty much trashed...

With nothing to lose, I took a circular saw and a jigsaw to both the trashed GT bumper, and the original 88 coupe bumper. Keep in mind I didn't even pull out a measuring tape until the end set, so cutouts are done by "eye" only. I've got the raw finished shape done, and ended up making it several inches lower than it originally was by merging the two bumpers. I think it's really looking great, something I wasn't sure was going to happen when I started. The more I look at the last photo, the more I'm thinking some slimline headlights would be awesome, just above the foglights and under the "blackbelt" trim line. That would put them in the original location for the ts openings (they're being relocated downward). If they worked well enough, I could glass the originals into the hood and completely make them disappear.

Ideas are welcomed at this stage. I'm not obviously going to take all suggestions, but if I like it, I might change as possible.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all

EXCELLENT idea!! I like the looks of that round trim with the aero nose!

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I'm a Novice in photoshop, so any help is certainly welcome

I'm thinking of painting the car the Corvette Daytona Sunset Orange, with Charcoal/Silver Ground effects. Anyone that can make a stab at something is welcome to try, here's my very amateurish attempt!
Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
Great idea! I have to say that because I am doing the same thing! One problem you may experience is that headlights MUST be 24" center beam to the ground. My solution (primarily because I am not about to make mine a daily driver and will probably rarely see darkness) is to apply air shocks or some other temporary lift to the car to have it pass DOT inspection for headlight heigth. I will attempt to take some pics of what I am doing, which is a custom fabrication of the front bumper and implementation of a completely new embedded headlight system (going to the junkyard this weekend to get ideas of what car I am going to pull them off of). I too glassed my old headlight pieces with the hood, so now they are non-existent. I will take pics of that too.

Looks like you are off to a great start though!

------------------
Phil
Always trying to create something new!

Kyle1016

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle1016Send a Private Message to Kyle1016Direct Link to This Post
Looks cool, do you have any side angle shots ?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

If you are going this far and plan to pull a mold, why not change the openings up front to something totally different and unique ?

Looks awesome so far !
pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post
Well, 24" is all the way at the top of the bumper where it meets the hood...so I guess replacement lights are out...I'd like to keep mine legal.

Maybe a set of 93 Camaro Headlights in the old TS inset...I could then just relocate the TS housing into the lower spoiler. Could hook up the camaro headlights as fog lamps for a lot of extra light when driving...

Probably not looking to make a mold of the design unless there were just a lot of people that wanted it. Doing it mainly for the enjoyment of having something a little different, but in the spirit of the original.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
That is an interesting combination and I kinda like it. Almost seems like the radiator opening is just begging to be made taller for a larger opening.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 10-18-2007).]

whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Kinda reminds me of.............Slingblade. I reckon. lol

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Get that saw back out
PFF
System Bot
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post
Bump...

Any progress here?
Duke_On_Fire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2008 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Duke_On_FireSend a Private Message to Duke_On_FireDirect Link to This Post
i would like to try something like this, any updates?

------------------

84 2m4

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Any updates??

JG
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

That is an interesting combination and I kinda like it. Almost seems like the radiator opening is just begging to be made taller for a larger opening.

Thats funny. I was thinking you could now mount the license plate higher and have use of the whole opening. I like it. Might have to give it a try myself.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

Thats funny. I was thinking you could now mount the license plate higher and have use of the whole opening. I like it. Might have to give it a try myself.

Front plate? Never heard of such a thing... or quickly forgot about them when I moved to KY!
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Front plate? Never heard of such a thing... or quickly forgot about them when I moved to KY!

I had heard of people that don't need to worry about those. Lucky.

Cops around here love to use that one. They will actually tow you if you don't have the front plate. Doesn't matter whether they can clearly see the back or not.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Fieroseverywhere

4242 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Get that saw back out

I was actually considering this mod myself. The only difference is its going to be for an aero notchie. I would start with a bumperpad to keep the ribbed molding. Think you can photoshop something like that? I can provide pics if needed...
matchmade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for matchmadeSend a Private Message to matchmadeDirect Link to This Post
That would make for a much more natural 2-tone paint scheme as well, without having to paint the fake molding line.
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
And...
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

I was actually considering this mod myself. The only difference is its going to be for an aero notchie. I would start with a bumperpad to keep the ribbed molding. Think you can photoshop something like that? I can provide pics if needed...

I dont have any photo shop software loaded on my pc so I cant make any changes.
PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Any more progress?
Swedish Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Swedish FieroClick Here to visit Swedish Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Swedish FieroDirect Link to This Post
That is the way the Aero nose should have looked like from the begining, great work, I like it!

Ever considered to go for the 355 nose instead like mine, Amida is making them now?

------------------
Swedish Fiero

http://www.garaget.org/?car=93274&image=1052336

Dedicated owner of an 88 Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by Swedish Fiero (edited 10-15-2008).]

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Take a look at old chargers or merc capri lol that might look cool
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2008 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

update ??

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock