Longitudinal V8 Install by dave@heldmotorsports.com
Started on: 08-30-2006 12:20 AM
Replies: 52
Last post by: GSXRBOBBY on 12-21-2008 02:42 PM
dave@heldmotorsports.com

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

Longitudinal 11" stretch Fiero install

I'll be posting some photos... but it may take a while.

This was a quick install... On Monday ( Two days before tropical storm Ernesto was scheduled to arrive, and I needed to have the body towed before the storm arrived ).

After stripping the body panels, dropping the factory drivetrain and K member... cutting the upper and lower frame rails... here are some photos showing the install of the new, 11inch extended wheelbase engine cradle.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post
here's a shot from the passenger's side.

[This message has been edited by dave@heldmotorsports.com (edited 08-30-2006).]

dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

dave@heldmotorsports.com

139 posts
Member since Feb 2001
The engine cradle bolts to the 4 original Fiero mounting locations ( 2 forward and 2 rear ) and is set up for a Small Block Chevy V8 and Audi transaxle.

Here's a View from the top:

dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

dave@heldmotorsports.com

139 posts
Member since Feb 2001

Driver's Side Forward mount

dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

dave@heldmotorsports.com

139 posts
Member since Feb 2001
Rear Mount Driver's Side:
The rear mounting bolts were hidden from the camera's view, so I used long bolts with spacer tubes to better illustrate their location.

dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

dave@heldmotorsports.com

139 posts
Member since Feb 2001
The suspension consists of the original Factory struts / springs ( although I highly recommend Koni coilovers due to the additional weight of the engine / trans ).

dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

dave@heldmotorsports.com

139 posts
Member since Feb 2001

The lower control arms are the same that I use on my Independent Rear Suspension ( http://www.321irs.com ) design.

dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

dave@heldmotorsports.com

139 posts
Member since Feb 2001
The spindles / knuckles are factory Fiero units with HT Motorsports ( http://heldmotorsports.com ) Bump Steer correction knuckle adapters.

The trackwidth is pushed out 2inches per side... but the factory struts can be retained - and mounted in their original mounting locations thanks to the HT Motorsports adapter brackets.

dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

dave@heldmotorsports.com

139 posts
Member since Feb 2001

Here's a side view of the adapters to extend the track width... The struts bolt through one pair of bolt holes and the other pair of holes attach to the knuckle.

dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

dave@heldmotorsports.com

139 posts
Member since Feb 2001

It appears that I forgot to take a photo ( outside view ) of the entire assembly - including the Fiero factory knuckle and the knuckle adapter... I'll add that photo in a future post.
Here's a photo of the assembly from the engine compartment side... The view of the components is partially blocked by the engine cradle, but hopefully you can see some detail.

carolinajoe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carolinajoeClick Here to visit carolinajoe's HomePageSend a Private Message to carolinajoeDirect Link to This Post
Sweet
I look forward to the progress of this project
PFF
System Bot
Fiero2M6GT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2M6GT1Send a Private Message to Fiero2M6GT1Direct Link to This Post
I cant wait to see the finished product.
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the pics and writeup
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Cool build Dave. Thanx for sharing.

Bob
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dave@heldmotorsports.com:

Longitudinal 11" stretch Fiero install

I'll be posting some photos... but it may take a while.

This was a quick install... On Monday ( Two days before tropical storm Ernesto was scheduled to arrive, and I needed to have the body towed before the storm arrived ).

After stripping the body panels, dropping the factory drivetrain and K member... cutting the upper and lower frame rails... here are some photos showing the install of the new, 11inch extended wheelbase engine cradle.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/033676.html

check out this one 12 inch stretch Longitudinal v8

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 08-30-2006).]

dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post
yeah Bubba... yours is quite cool. You have taken things much farther than me.

I have been building engine cradles for customers for years... but this is the first one to use the Fiero struts vs. Upper and Lower control arms like http://www.specificmotors.com

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
Ok u have my interest.I think i read somewhere that u make that cradle from 3inch to 11 inch stretch is that right?

Also ur site is a little confusing on the cost wise.What is the cost for the configuration #2 ?

Also does the price increase as the stretch go's longer? or standard?
dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post
Sweet

=======================================

I will post some shots of the engine / trans mounted in the cradle, but I'm not a car builder... I sell these cradles to other folks who build extended wheelbase, Fiero-based kitcars... This one is destined for New Jersey.

If I were to build one, I would like a V6 / Audi transaxle... But Kennedy doesn't have an adapter plate for such an application. Does anyone know of another source for such an adapter ( and clutch, pressure plate, etc... )

If 5 people are interested in such a cradle, I will build some... but it's simply not economically feasible to build 1 at-a-time.
The cost is $2000 - and includes the cradle, Lower Control arms, Brackets, hardware... then you can begin your own project!

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com
RUNDLC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Dave, I already have a stretched (10.5" for a lambo kit) I am not pleased with the cradle stretch, I am going to be installing a 3800 s.c. engine soon (thinking about audi 5000 5 spd), alot more power than the stock 2.8. My question is would I be able to dump my cradle and use yours with my current suspension setup? Held rear coil/overs & stock trackwidth ( I do not want to re-purchase wheels at this time) My body is already mounted and I DO NOT want to start cutting the back half of the fiero tub, will your cradle work with 3800 s.c & audi?? Thanks

RUNDLC

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 08-30-2006).]

fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Direct Link to This Post

If 5 people are interested in such a cradle, I will build some... but it's simply not economically feasible to build 1 at-a-time.
The cost is $2000 - and includes the cradle, Lower Control arms, Brackets, hardware... then you can begin your own project!

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com

hmm.... stretched artero? how much welding is involved? i can handle the fiberglass. but wound have to pay for the welding..

------------------
Artero Rebody , 18"s, 91' 350 SBC / Muncie 4spd
85.5 Porsche 944 euro *for sale*
92' Yamaha FZR 600R

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

yeah Bubba... yours is quite cool. You have taken things much farther than me.

I have been building engine cradles for customers for years... but this is the first one to use the Fiero struts vs. Upper and Lower control arms like http://www.specificmotors.com

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com

its a great idea since some can not afford the other setup when doing lambo,s and this new cradle will held lessen the cost load
plus +for you

but It would be nice to see wrap around lower control arm mounts for max stength ! Just a sugestion !
PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Sweet

=======================================

I will post some shots of the engine / trans mounted in the cradle, but I'm not a car builder... I sell these cradles to other folks who build extended wheelbase, Fiero-based kitcars... This one is destined for New Jersey.

If I were to build one, I would like a V6 / Audi transaxle... But Kennedy doesn't have an adapter plate for such an application. Does anyone know of another source for such an adapter ( and clutch, pressure plate, etc... )

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com

what v6 are you looking to mate to the audi transaxle
dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post
Yes, BubbaJoe I agree with your idea about the lower control arm mounts. I plan on using mounts similar to those in the photo below... I didn't use them on this first build since I wasn't sure where the engine / trans access locations and interferences would be... I would hate to put the lower control arm mount right in the way of the oil pan drain plug or similar.

anyway, here is a 3D cad shot of the lower control arm mount...

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com
dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

dave@heldmotorsports.com

139 posts
Member since Feb 2001

Dave, I already have a stretched (10.5" for a lambo kit) I am not pleased with the cradle stretch, I am going to be installing a 3800 s.c. engine soon (thinking about audi 5000 5 spd), alot more power than the stock 2.8. My question is would I be able to dump my cradle and use yours with my current suspension setup? Held rear coil/overs & stock trackwidth ( I do not want to re-purchase wheels at this time) My body is already mounted and I DO NOT want to start cutting the back half of the fiero tub, will your cradle work with 3800 s.c & audi?? Thanks

RUNDLC

==========================================================

Rundlc
How did you stretch the upper and lower frame rails? If this has already been done, and you have retained the forward and rear mounting locations, you can bolt my engine cradle into those mounts. Email me some photos and I'll make my recommendations.

I have a lightweight, plastic V8 engine that allows me to adapt cradles for SBC powered cars... I do not have such a block to represent a 3800 V6
As far as the Audi trans, that part is no problem.

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com
dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2006 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

dave@heldmotorsports.com

139 posts
Member since Feb 2001
BubbaJoe
I would like to mate the Fiero 2.8L V6 to the Audi trans... for simplicity.

My second choice would be a 4.3L or 3800

Time-permitting... I would like to build a frame for a Diablo roadster... a very simple version with no top - not even a removable top.
I would also eliminate the opening doors and just enter the car by throwing a leg over the door.

The reason for these dramatic changes is that of all the Diablos that get started, the main reason they do not get completed - and the bulk of the time and dollar expense - is due to the fit of the doors, the hinges, the door glass, etc...

With the "simplicity" aspect in mind, it would be cool to disconnect the wiring harness, drop the factory K member, separate the engine from the trans, mate it to the Audi, mount, re-connect, install the cradle and move forward... without the hassles and expense of the engine computers, wiring harness, etc... etc...

I don't want to make this sound like it would be a simple Remove / Replace... nothing ever is - but to limit the complexities would make the car more "complete-able".

anyway - to answer your original question - 2.8L Fiero V6 or an easily sub'd engine.

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
for the 4.3 V6 the kennedy sbc adapter will work and for the 2.8 you can use the northstar adapter and have kennedy make the flywheel and for the 3.8 front wheel drive v6 use the northstar adapter as well you will onl have to redrill the lower bolt hole
dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post
here's a photo of a "simple" lambo diablo roadster that I was referring to.

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com
dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post

dave@heldmotorsports.com

139 posts
Member since Feb 2001
BubbaJoe
thanks for the info on the adapters... the folks at Kennedy didn't even offer those suggestions...

dave
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Yes, BubbaJoe I agree with your idea about the lower control arm mounts. I plan on using mounts similar to those in the photo below... I didn't use them on this first build since I wasn't sure where the engine / trans access locations and interferences would be... I would hate to put the lower control arm mount right in the way of the oil pan drain plug or similar.

anyway, here is a 3D cad shot of the lower control arm mount...

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com

this would be the ultimate upgrade to the subframe My compliments to you
dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post
Here's a couple additional assembled photos...

===

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com

[This message has been edited by dave@heldmotorsports.com (edited 08-31-2006).]

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Forgive me if you already posted this, but what type of trans do you have shown in the last post?

------------------
Paul

Pontiac prestiege.... Pontiac performance...... Pontiac POWER!
For a full history of the Fiero SS: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315

PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

Forgive me if you already posted this, but what type of trans do you have shown in the last post?

that is a audi 5sp tranaxle
dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post
correct... it's an Audi

The one in the photos happens to be a 4WD version and I have removed all of the gears and the center shaft to lessen the weight - which is why it appears different from other Audi transaxles. The 4WD and 2WD trans are the same physical size - except of course for the output shaft coming out of the back of the trans for the driveshaft.

When the gears are in ( as well as the rear portion of the trans case ) the transaxle is much longer than that shown in the photos. The trans in the photos looks "finished" since I made a rear cover ( aluminum ) rather than have the guts of the trans exposed.

dave
dheld@cfl.rr.com
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTDirect Link to This Post
Dave, I had no idea you guys were in Cocoa! We need to talk...

Check your PM's....

Brett
dave@heldmotorsports.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dave@heldmotorsports.comClick Here to visit dave@heldmotorsports.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to dave@heldmotorsports.comDirect Link to This Post
ItalGT - I don't have any PMs from you... please resend or better - email me dheld@cfl.rr.com

dave
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTDirect Link to This Post

ItalGT - I don't have any PMs from you... please resend or better - email me dheld@cfl.rr.com

dave

...message sent!

Brett

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2006 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
bump
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Nice.
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2006 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTDirect Link to This Post
BUMP for those who haven't seen...

Brett
slinger

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
anything new? (bumpy)
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock