Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  TAZMNDVL - Build - 350 QB - 6sp - chop ... and more (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
TAZMNDVL - Build - 350 QB - 6sp - chop ... and more by DrCPU
Started on: 06-01-2006 09:45 AM
Replies: 389
Last post by: Fiero2m8 on 02-07-2009 10:46 AM
DrCPU

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
First off - I call my '88GT The Tazmanian Devil (aka TAZMNDVL).
I chose this name because this is what I look like.

The Fiero has always been a mean little car and I think the name fits it well - even better now since the conversion.

Archie has been real busy and I have preety much all of the photos from my build.

If everyone is OK with it I'll start putting up pictures of the job - from start to finish. I'll add all I can insofar as descriptions - but it likely won't be as extensive or technically correct as Archie might do - but heck - this should be better than nothing at all - right?!

SOME BACKGROUND

I bought my first Fiero in 1988 - a black, decked out '88GT. I met Archie in 1991 at the FOCA meet in Pigeon Froge Tennesse, under the shade of Dolly Pardon's statue (Not sure if it's Parton - sorry to all of her fans who own FIEROs =;^0 ) I knew when he started up the F40 with a 350 carb set-up, that I'd do the conversion one day. I sold that car in 1996 for $10K. I bought my current '88GT in August of 2000 for $6.5K - it had 50k km on it and the interior was in excellent shape.

I'm using Canadian dollars and Kilometers for everything. You guys figure it out!....

The car had been sitting in a barn (near Belleville, Ont) for some time and the guy I bought it from was the second owner. He has about 8 Fieros and has his '86GT lowered with an LT1 in it. Anyway, he needed some cash and I took the '88GT off his hands. I had a lot of niggly little problems at the start as it had been sitting for a long time - it still had the original rubber on it. Over the next year I was plagued with engine problems that ended when the oil pump failed - causing lifter failure - and that started me on the road to my first rebuild. I had the engine bored out and rebuilt (original V6). I was happy with it save for all the problems I was having with the ECM. I change the ECM, pickups, coil and finally found the culprit being shorted tach filter. I was just going through a divorce after 27 years of marriage and decided I'd spend a big chunk of change on a brake and engine upgrade when I got the proceeds of the settlement. You guys know how this goes - sell the house, divide the assets etc. I came out of it with a 2001 1500HD Chevy Silverado Crew Cab, my '96 Harley FXDS-CONV, my '88GT and my trailer - and a pile of cash......

I called Archie in July of 2005 and got pricing for my intitial order that consted of the following:

Convert Automatic to 5 speed
Coil over suspension - all around
Big Brake upgrade
350 HO (Quick Burn) V8

Seems straight forward enough, right?! Ahhh the male mind - never happy leaving things alone...

I told Archie he could have my car over the Winter and I'd pick it up in the Spring of 2006 - no set date.

I trailered the TAZ to Archie's place in October 2005. Attached is a pic of the set-up I used.

I'll add to the story and post the pictures - about 50 - at a rate of 10 or so a week. If I can find time to do this faster I'll do it.

Patience - young grasshoppers!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
MORE!

John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a dream come true on many levels. I'm looking forward to this!
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
YES *adds to favorites*
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88White3.4GT:

YES *adds to favorites*

Me too.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car, make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
you better post some more pics or im gonna whack your pussy!!!!!!!!.......for some reason that doesnt look right to me. but ill kill that cat!!!!!
not really, i just want to see pictures.
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2006 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Ok - Ok - Ok.....

So let's see. I'm at Archie's in the October of 2005 and It's been about 12 years since I've met him. I found his place no problem thanks to Google maps.

I drove from Mississauga in the 1500HD rig on a Thursday and arrived in Rockford Thursday at about midnight. 1000km drive in twelve hours - plus border crossing - without any fuss or muss. I did not make any hotel reservations as I'm sure there will plenty of space avaialble. I've riden my Harley all around the continent and never had problems finding a place to stay - save for once near Oshkosh during flight week - but that's another story! Hmmm, on second thought I shoulda booked something. Seems the Chrysler plant south east of Rockford (Bellville - or Bellview - not sure) was closed for two weeks while they re-tooled! I did manage to find something - but had a tough time as I brought my dog with me - min daxi - named Ginger. She's with me wherever I go and has travelled more than most humans - I figure.

For anyone who hasn't been to Archie's here are shots of his place and some of the cars he had in the shop in the fall of 2005. The red GT-40 has been sold since then - and the Ferrari replica wasn't there last week either. He has many new projects - right Curly! - but I've been sworn to secrecy on the projects - so not to ruin any "comming outs" so to speak.

Archie's Place

Ferrari 328 replica (Sold ?)

IMSA Special

GT-40 (SOLD)

Anyone who has visited Archie knows you cannot escape without chatting about your and his cars. I spent the rest of the morning talking about things I was dreaming about doing with my TAZ and he with his past stories. We could have gone on for days without repeating a single story!

Archie walks me around some more and asks me what I wanted to do with the intake for my 350. I order the TPI setup and was leaning towards painting the intake red to keep the heritage of the original Fiero. He tols me he wanted me to see something - and showed me an engine he had that had the TPI chromed. Two seconds later there it is.. OH MY GOD!

Another engine with Chrome TPI - not mine...

I asked Archie "How much more will this cost?". He said - get ready for this "Oh not much more maybe $1,100." What understood was a total of $1,1000 - what I found out when I got my revised estimate months later - was $1,100 on top of the cost of the TPI. Welcome to the world of customising your baby.... I can hear the registers churning, and my bank account draining way too fast - but heck - ya only live once. So I say "Do it!"

Archie sold my V6 engine and the guy who got it ran away with a bargain. Newly rebuilt - it was just broken in. Oh well - I thought - at least the $650 I got for the engine and Tranny would offset the cost of the chrome work. Archie then showed me my new crate engine - and yes it's in a crate....

350 HO (Quickburn) Crate engine - ALL MINE!

I spend a few more hours chatting with Archie and he tells me that he is bidding on a wrecked Pontiac G6 - with the 6 Speed on eBay. He expects to win and the auction closes in a few days. We talk about the 5 speed Getrag I was going for - with cryoed gears etc - and we decide to wait until he has a chance to get the 6 Speed to see if he can make it work. Detroit will be selling the 6 Speed in the spring - and the $1,600 for a brand new 6 speed tranny - that is rated better for the 350 - leaves me with that fealing that I've just openned the bank account tap once more...

I drive back to Mississauga Friday afternoon and stay in Port Huron so I can bring back the two boxes of Corona Cigars I had shipped to Archie - across the border... need to be in the US for 72 hours to get them by customs without paying duties or taxes....

Now all I gotta do is wait until Spring and try not to change my order too much... yeah - dream on!!!

That's it unitl next week. I don't have Internet at my trailer - so stay tuned on Monday!!

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
....continued... for your reading enjoyment!

The next couple of months I call Archie up and ask how life is going. He won the eBay bid for the smashed up Pontiac G6 and the 6 speed. He spends the next month or two making it fit - oh yeah he decides to put an LT or LS into his new Solstice....

I get some bad news at the end of February. My mother passes and I'm picking up my two girls (15 1/2 going on 30) to go to my mother's funeral. On the drive from Mississauga to Ottawa (5 hours give or take) I call Archie...

"How's it going?" I ask. "Not bad - not bad at all" he replies. "I've got more work to take care of than I like and am running a little behind getting the Roadster and Solstice ready for the end of March - for Daytona". "You're car has the suspension done - in the front, and we've cleaned up the engine bay - new firewall and have painted the rest of the engine bay and craddle". I ask him how the 6 Speed work is going and he replies - "No problem getting it to fit and work." "I've designed and ordered six throw out plates. Do you still want to go with the Getrag 5 speed or would you like a six speed? I ask - "Is GM selling them in a crate yet?" - he responds "Yup!".

Hmmmm - The brain thinks for what seems like an eternity... Let's see - 20 yr old tranny with newer gears - vs a brand new crate 6 Speed for around $1,600... Hmmmm...seems like a no brainer - yeah - that's the ticket - some quick math and I fugure the account can take it. "It's a go for the six speed. Any idea how long it will take? Archie says "No big deal - it's easier than getting a 5 speed together"

First mod to the order - if you don't count the Chrome SP TPI ......

Now secretly I've been visiting PFF and looking into all the chops. "Archie, How much for a chop?". Without much hesitation he says "$3995 - Why, you thinking of doing that too!?". "If you are it's best for me to do the chop before I put the engine in and we are ready to do the engine conversion any day!". I told him "I need to think about this for a bit. I'll get back to you in a couple of days after I've had some time to think about it a little" Archie replies "OK, we'll hold off until you get back to me!"

My kids have been listening to the conversation, but don't quite understand the conversation. I keep driving along the 401 thinking.... thinking....

About three minutes later I hit redial on the cell - "Archie? DO IT" =8^) So much for giving it much thought. I fiugre the account will be pretty much drained by this latest change - but think I might escape with a couple of thou left - enough to pay for taxes when I get it accross the boarder - and maybe enough for a half assed paint job. Ohhh how wrong I was. "How much more time are you going to need to do the chop?" I ask. Archie replies "About four weeks". I ask hopefully, "Do you think it will be ready for the end of March? Little did I know how much work Archie had on the go - Daytona etc.. Anyway, Archie says "I'm not sure, but I'll do what I can". Anyone who knows Archie will smile at this. For what I know of him - unless he says "I can have it ready for XXX date" That it isn't going to happen. I don't need the TAZ - but I miss it. The winter in southern Ontario has been mild and I'm aching to drive my "poorman's vette".

So now I have the order changed to a chop... Archie sends me some pics of "da boys" ready to do what they do best....

This is the last time the TAZ will be seen in stock config....

Ready - set CHOP!

Look what did to my car Ma!

Going back together..

He also sends me some pics of the engine and test configuration....

And the guts to the TAZ!

Hope this holds everyone till mid week!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrCPU:

....continued... for your reading enjoyment!

Now secretly I've been visiting PFF and looking into all the chops. "Archie, How much for a chop?".

Secretly "lurking" hmm....? I guess bumpin' the thread paid off, hehe. I love your write-ups...keep it comming.
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess I spend a lot more time reading and learning than I do "speakin' up". I belonged to a Harley Forum and learned early on how to "can't we just get along" =;^0

I'm a professisonal - so you know the saying. "I know more and more about less and less until I know everything about nothing!"

The other side of the coin is to be a generalist - "Who knows less and less about more and more until he knows nothing about everything"!!

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Another thing - making mods to your Fiero is like eating Jujubes.. Can't stop once you start eating.... all the lurking means I have an enormous appetite for change! Too bad finances will slow me down =8'(
PFF
System Bot
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
bump

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E. In the middle of cam/port, new interior, paint and waiting on new wheels. Itll blow you away!!
http://hometown.aol.com/ptfiero/index.html
build
http://dtcc.cz28.com/Customer/LT1Fiero/index.htm

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
I got to see the car in real life on our cruise. Nice work and a really nice car too. Looking forward to cruising again with you. I am looking forward to some pics and maybe a video

Pete

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 06-11-2006).]

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I saw the thread, thats why I bumped. Wanted to know how the 6 speed was doing.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
But you don't look anything like a Tasmanian Devil. Not enough hair, and what is there is in the wrong place
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Archie gave me all my pics for the build. There are 184 images! 50 or so are "secure" that give explicit detail on some of his special tricks. Archie has asked me not to post the secure photos - and I certainly agree with his request.

There will be lots more - but I don't have Inet access during the evenings - and I'm supposed to do real work during the day! =80

I need to sort through the pics so they make sense and am working with 3"x3" to select the shots I want.

I'll also be posting on the CHOPTOP CHRONICLES for the comments on the chop...

I've got a few short AVI's of the London meet - and one where I face off against PBJ on the track - turn up your volume - cz the sounds are great!!!

Give me till Wednesday to start posting more on this thread...

Here is my timing slip from the third run - PBJ beat me.. =8( (but hey I was a racin virgin then!)

Dave
daveg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davegSend a Private Message to davegDirect Link to This Post
Dave, you don't look so good....been out in the sun too long?

Glad to see you have another Fiero. I still have the same one. (20th anniversary yesterday). Running better than ever, still looking car-show ready.

daveg
NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Why is the 60 ft whited out on the 3800sc?
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
That's how the strip comes. You only get the reaction and other key times for your opponent. PBJ would have all of his detail for his run. You could ask him for his times.
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We were running high 1.9 60 foot. with ours that night. The track was horrible slippery. My friend with a 95 cavilier 4 cyl automatic was not even getting traction on this 17.6 1/4 mile runs. We were running slower with slicks. 13.2 with traction ta's and 13.4 with slicks.

But this thread should not get of topic.

SO please DR TAZ. lets get some more pics !

Pete

------------------

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Hear you guys loud and clear.

I've been busier than a one armed coat hanger. I promised something for mid this week - but will need to put off an update for a couple of days.....

Dave
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2006 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Here we go - more pics....

First go the extra chop pictures.

and the last one is of the rear clip - pre-chop!

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2006 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Next comes the big brake and coil overs....

That's it for today! Have lots more to come!!
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2006 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Got a few minutes in between meetings...

This series os of the engine and tranny - outside the car.

Just in case you haven't read the whole thread - the tranny is a brand new crate 6 speed (Pontiac G6)

Enjoy

Cleaning up the craddle!

(removed a pic of someone else's engine - the 350/383)

That's it - I need to sort through the other 80 or so images to at least try and make them follow properly....

[This message has been edited by DrCPU (edited 06-21-2006).]

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Next comes the engine build starting with a clean engine bay.

Here comes the engine!

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Next more of the chop...

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
and more body shots....

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
and now for some closer shots of the engine, throttle body etc...

Some pics look the same, but they are slightly different. I'm including all the images so viewers who are interested in the detail - have it!

The transaxle from the tranny

Other close-ups of starter, remote filter etc...

with final close-ups on the engine/tranny - note the chrome distributor cover isn't in yet...

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Next are some good under the car shots (on a lift - the red bits) and some pics of the exhaust....

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Next are some shots of the interior finish after the chop. Includes headliner etc..

As you can see from the pictures - it looks like a stock interior - other than the lower roof there is no hint to the chop. Excellent work!

PFF
System Bot
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004
These next pics are from my "delivery". I picked up the TAZ on May 26th, 2006. I have a frient with me - "Pat".
He's the smaller guy and I'm the (ahem) heftier fellow....

Excitement rules the day as I drive it for the first time!

Here I go for the first time!!!

And the final "Chilly Willy" pics. If you don't know about this - you need to get work done by Archie. He forces you to pose like this for a reason!!!

and the last pic is my favorite!!!

I'll let all the images sit for a few days to give you time to review them. If I can answer any questions I will. This build contains about 190 different pictures. I have another 58 shots that are "Archie Secure" pictures. If you've read the thread then you know why I have not shown them.

I'll also post other information to this thread for how things are going, and my overall impression of the car, getting Archie to do the work etc.. Keep checking in as it moves to the top of the "General" part of the forum.

Thanks Archie! It cost me a bundle - but I have a beautiful kick ass car!!

cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
So how do you like the gearing of the 6 speed with that V8?

------------------
96 Saturn SL2 Turbo (evil SL2)

My cardomain site: cardomain.com/memberpage/702872

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cooguyfish:

So how do you like the gearing of the 6 speed with that V8?

I'ts absolutely fabulous! 1st is very tall and is only needed for the first twenty feet. The rest of the gearing is great and the engine has enough torque that I can drive it in any gear at 2k rpm without luggin' and ready to roar! Shifting is smooth and precise. One of the biggest advantages is the 6th gear is for highway driving. I drive from just east of cambridge to mississauag city hall every day - much of which is on highway. The TAZ runs at 2100rpm at about 120kph. The gas mileage is better than the V6 (due to 6th). I can say witout a doubt that the 6 speed will pay ofr itself in gas savings - had I opted for a 5 speed instead.

Heck if I drive enough miles I'll have saved enough to have paid for the entire conversion! =87)
Dave
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Awesome thread Dr.CPU !!!
You took the route with Archie that so many of us on the forum dream of.
I have had to take a much different approach with my project, but so far I'm still married...
Sorry I didn't make Mapleview, but I plan to attend on Wednesday July 5th with or without Fiero2m8 (weather...and a bunch of other stuff permitting).
The pictures on this thread should hold me over till then.

Cheers,
Ryan

------------------

1986 Fiero2m8 (LT1 NX / 4T60 Roadster Build)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/071642.html

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Now that is a photo documentary. Pictures make aluminum shine. I like it.

Pete

------------------

MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2006 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
How much horsepower and torque does thta engine have? Boy I would love a 6-speed.
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2006 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MclarenF1:

How much horsepower and torque does thta engine have? Boy I would love a 6-speed.

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll be printing up all the photos (including the secure ones) to 4"x6" and but them in a photo binder. I'll leave it in the car for shows and meets. I'll also include the final invoice (reduced to 4x6 - too bad the dollar amount doesn't shrink when you reduce the original ) - ouch!

As far as horsepower and torque goes - I don't really know. The engine itself is rated at 330hp. Don't know if the TPI helps it out or not. I will put it on a dyno if there is one at Fierorama this September. I suspect I get more than 300hp at the rear wheel and have no idea of torque - but I suspect it's rather high as well.

Put it this way - on the drag strip - it was like sitting in a rocket cockpit. Basically, strap a rocket between your legs and hit the "ignite" button. With day to day driving it is great - like a mini Corvette! I drove my father's '63 Sting Ray in late '60s or very early '70s and from memory it is just as awesome. Any one who drives near me "knows" something is different about the car. It doesn't look like a pimped out ricer and it has the sound that you just can't beat with a big cubic inch American made small block. I don't care what anyone says - I'd rather have big inches than a hopped up BB. When I get on the highway - if the inside lane doesn't make room - or is trying to speed up so I can't get on - you know the type - that I can be a football field length in front of them - before they even know it. Gobs of power she has!

It's my daily driver in the summer and I don't have access to a lot of tools or a work bay - so dependability was the reason I went for the 350 SBC. I don't have A/C or a lot of the other "power" options - so it's more like a heavy go-kart than anything else. The guys at work who have 'vettes just love the old style rumble shake rattle and roll. Anyone who's ridden in a '60 hemi 3 speed Baracuda knows what I'm talking about!

I'll be adding a lot more about the entire experience - maybe later today.

Dave
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2006 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

DrCPU

707 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by Fiero2m8:

Awesome thread Dr.CPU !!!
You took the route with Archie that so many of us on the forum dream of.
I have had to take a much different approach with my project, but so far I'm still married...
Sorry I didn't make Mapleview, but I plan to attend on Wednesday July 5th with or without Fiero2m8 (weather...and a bunch of other stuff permitting).
The pictures on this thread should hold me over till then.

Cheers,
Ryan

I stayed home last night - was a long day at the office. I'll make it next week if the weather is good. Might not make it on July 5th as my kids are with me for a few days.

The build was my reward for surviving a divorce after 27yrs of mariage!! =87)

My motto now is "Women = BAD!"
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2006 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrCPU:

My motto now is "Women = BAD!"

Hehehe. Nice write-up and I enjoy reading them.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock