Started on: 12-27-2005 03:20 PM
Replies: 267
Last post by: Sharkman on 01-04-2009 02:11 PM
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I figure it is about time to finally start my build thread for the Steel Lady!! I hope you enjoy.

Here is what I started with, particially apart 88 GT with motor pulled and waiting for a 3.1.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 12-27-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
The next step was getting into a garage to be worked on during the winter.

Now in the garage and on jack stands.

Seats removed along with alot of the interior.

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
My partners in crime.

My son.

The Hired Help!! (actually a friend of the family).

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Engine was already out so the next step was removing and disassembly of the engine cradle.

and then the removal of the front X-member.

and then taking it apart.

So far everything is going very well.

NorthFloridaFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
'how do the cars get overseas?
i wonder how yellowstone and all the other people got a hold a one?
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I have a whole bunch of parts just waiting to go on the Lady.

noses (which do you like better?)

Side Scoops

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
My original 87 GT I ordered from GM and had it shipped over here while I was still in the Army. The 88 was the same thing but by a German. They were ordered directly through the GM sub company called OPEL.
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:
noses (which do you like better?)

Side Scoops

#2 both cases!

Dietmar's side scoops look a lot better, which is surprising, but I never saw a side by side comparison.

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Now begins the cleaning, repairing, rebuilding and repainting part.

First I did the brakes.

Next will be these. The knuckles and things won't be much of a problem because I use chemical baths to clean them.

The Hubs have seals in them so I will have to resort to a brass wire brush and engine cleaner.

edit: man I wish I could spell!!!

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Here are some pix of the Sailpanel Scoops I'll be using along with either the AUS scoops (top) or the ones from Dietmar (bottom).

My wife and Helmar (the hired help ) say the Dietmar scoops give it a smoother line.

Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
I like the first nose, where is that from?
PFF
System Bot
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
I like the one on the left. BTW, are those headers I see? Where did you get the 355 nose at? Did you have any fitment issues with it or did it fit fine? What about the turns signals and fog lamps? Good luck on your build.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Disillusion:

I like the first nose, where is that from?

I kind of like the first nose too. It looks more aggressive to me. It is from a man here in Germany. I hope to have some cpoies of it by the first of March. The second f355 nose is from Dietmar here in Germany and I am looking into getting some copies of it done also (because it is the last one).

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005

Originally posted by alex de jorge:

I like the one on the left. BTW, are those headers I see? Where did you get the 355 nose at? Did you have any fitment issues with it or did it fit fine? What about the turns signals and fog lamps? Good luck on your build.

Yes those are headers from the Fiero Store. The Dietmar nose (the right one) fits perfectly. The f355 with the chin does not fit very well. I have someone who is going to take it and fix it then make copies of it for me that will fit right. Turn signal lights with fog/driving lights come from Ford Scorpio bumper lights.

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Here is a set of side board mods from Dietmar that I'll be using.
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I like the second nose better, I'm not too big on having alot of holes up front- all I can think of is rice... Of the two scoops, I hate to say it, but I also like the Dietmar scoops better. Thanks for posting all the pics!
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
F-I-E-R-O you're welcome for the pix. I have alot more and will be undating this as I go along. Plus I have alot of stuff for the interior also (PYLE stereo, Mr Mikes covers a Stealth Dash, etc). So I'll be very busy for awhile. I want to have it running by April.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 12-28-2005).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:
I like the second nose better, I'm not too big on having alot of holes up front- all I can think of is rice... Of the two scoops, I hate to say it, but I also like the Dietmar scoops better. Thanks for posting all the pics!

that's exactly my thoughts, but in Europe, you can get away with a lot more, just look at the cars that are coming off the lines! hehe j/k..

When I make my side scoops, I will be copying Dietmar's design, which is more or less a copy of the F355... They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2005 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
On cleaning the wheel bearings, you can use a steel wire brush on a bench-mounted grinder, that is by far the fastest way. Don't use spray solvents because they can still get past the seals. Also, another option is to wrap a few turns of small rope around the bearing between the flange and bearing housing, then use a sand or bead blaster to clean the remainder of the bearing.

JazzMan

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip Jazzman.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Well today I'll be taking the flywheel from my 87 to a machine shop to have the counter weight cut off and rebalanced for the 88 engine. Plus continuing with the cleaning and painting of the cradle and X-member. I'll post pix this afternoon.
PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Where did the sideboards come from? I like those better than the stage II scoops I have. There's nothing wrong with the stage II's. I just think that the other design will go better with my idea.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Whadeduck, they were also from Dietmar. I think he said that he still has a few left. Should I ask him?
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Well now a couple of pix from the 3.1 going in to the car. The 3.1 was rebuilt by the previous owner and he did a really nice job. Crane performance everything (crank, pistons, cams, lifters, roller rockers, etc)!! So I am expecting it to run really nice!

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Now a few pix from the trany out of the 87. Only has 70K on it and I'm putting a new clutch in it. I am having the 87 flywheel machined to a neutral balance and I pray it works.

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Here is a pix of the 2.8 from the 87. Still runs fine and looks pretty good for 70k miles. I am planning on rebuilding it and keeping it for my next Fiero (maybe an 88 Formula).
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Fiero1, Yes! Please do ask Dietmar if he has any of the side skirts left. Those side skirt look much more "355-ish". I would be most grateful.

------------------
'87 GT Auto

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2005 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I'll give him a call tomorrow and then let you know.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2005 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Just talked to Dietmar and he's making some right now and will have them finished by the middle of January. I sent you a PM.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2005 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Today I started the Battery relocation. I have a battery kit from Norm's.
Measured and started cutting the Spare Tire holder.

Hole cut but not yet exact. Final cutting and fitting will be done when front end is rebuilt and reinstalled to insure proper heighth.

When proper heighth is determined and cut then the battery box will be sealed with silicon and secured with screws to insure everything is water tight.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 12-29-2005).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2005 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Very cool build thread. Good luck on the project, looking forward to your progress and seeing the finished product.

A + for you for sharing.

PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2005 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Actually the fun part starts now with putting everything together that I have been dreaming about over the last 6 months.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2005 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you're going nearly the same road I am as far the bodywork. Are you going to put the round lights on the back?

------------------
'87 GT Auto

Carswell...Wellscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2005 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carswell...WellscarSend a Private Message to Carswell...WellscarDirect Link to This Post
umm this might be a little late of a post but couldn't you sand blast those wheel hubs?? or am i ..curious ..and looks good
keep it up ...the original paint looks good

matt

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I am keeping the rear original. Just the nose and scoops with skirts. Can't sand blast the rear Hubs as the sand would foul up the bearings the fronts might be possible.
YELLOWFIERO88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YELLOWFIERO88Click Here to visit YELLOWFIERO88's HomePageSend a Private Message to YELLOWFIERO88Direct Link to This Post
Fiero1Fan,
Looking really good Cant wait till she is all done!! Keep us posted.
Brian

------------------

88GT 3.4SC
88GT T-TOP
87GT VERT (build in progress)
www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/053203.html

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
And the last time I talked to him he said he would NEVER do ANYTHING for Fieros again as the Fiero people were all full of s**t and there was no money to be made and so on...

I wanted to buy side skirts, the rear light panel and side scoops from him and ended up getting AusFieros instead as Dietmar was "out of Fieros". Some people tell a lot of bull...

Just talked to Dietmar and he's making some right now and will have them finished by the middle of January. I sent you a PM.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I bought my Fiero in the US and had it shipped over on this ship:

Read here: http://www.yellowfiero.com/fiero_history.html

Shipping a car overseas is no big deal...

Originally posted by NorthFloridaFiero:

'how do the cars get overseas?
i wonder how yellowstone and all the other people got a hold a one?

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I'm looking forward to our cars meeting this year, all new and shiny! :-)

I'm working in Frankfurt/Main from Jan. on but will continue living in Düsseldorf. But I guess I can come by some day. How far are you from FFM?

F-I-E-R-O you're welcome for the pix. I have alot more and will be undating this as I go along. Plus I have alot of stuff for the interior also (PYLE stereo, Mr Mikes covers a Stealth Dash, etc). So I'll be very busy for awhile. I want to have it running by April.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 12-30-2005).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I live about 40 km from Frankfurt. I would be glad for you to drop by when you have time. You can come over for dinner.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock