Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The one and only Step-By-Step 3800 Series II SC Swap (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
The one and only Step-By-Step 3800 Series II SC Swap by The Fieromaster
Started on: 07-15-2005 11:50 AM
Replies: 521
Last post by: darkhorizon on 01-14-2009 01:32 AM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I can get you a wireing schematic for whatever car you want from work tomorrow.
IP: Logged
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Do you have the PCM with the 3 big connectors, RED WHITE BLUE???

Red has an A row and a B row
White has a C and a D row
Blue has the E and the F row

IAC IS for the RA3,4,5,6

A11, A12, A13 are for Change Oil Lamp, Cruise Lamp, and "TCC PWM SOL" respectively.

EDIT: about that flywheel thing, thats just what I've seen thrown around on here. I got my flywheel already machined. In anycase, Loyde has been nothing but helpful on our swaps here so I would trust what he says for most of this stuff due to his experience with the 3800swaps compared to a bunch of us on here, lol....

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 09-25-2005).]

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm.. Wonder how much different all of this would be to swap an SC into a 1990 Reatta. The 3800 is already there so that part should be easy. It is the electronics that scare me, converting to OBD II.

------------------

3rd Annual California Coast Run, November 11-13, 2005

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Check this page out.

http://home.att.net/~subzero350/

Your BLACK PCM Connector is A
Your CLEAR PCM Connector is B
Your BLUE PCM Connector is C

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 09-25-2005).]

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Fieromaster:
Where is Mcaanda... he was talking about this to me earlier... maybe he can shed some light?!?!

&

Mcaanda help?

You have a pretty lengthy PM, and Loyde pretty much summed up what I sent in your PM.

Sorry about the delay, I have been pretty busy w/ getting the interior back into the SSEiGT. I got tired of the BS that needed to be taken care of & I really stepped into it when I ripped it ALL out @ once.

--Allen

PURPLE REIGN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

OH and Christmas bonus is gonna put an MP112 in place of the M90 too... *EVIL GRIN*

Anyone know if there are any Fieros out there with other then stock blowers on them?? I know of some turbo ones, but i am wondering about chargers.

I havent seen any other Fiero's with an MP112 yet...................................other than my own

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Excellent... thanks everyone again...

I talked to Darth, who i got the plugs from... he said that indeed the plugs were from a different car so i would have to swap pin locations... There must be some sort of tool for that!?!?

James - thanks for figuring out wich plug is what... i didnt see it on that info from where i downloaded (stuff i DL'd is same stuff you sent me)

Jncomutt - My connectors are Red Clear and Blue... What pcm r u using?

SongMan - You could always LEAVE it OBD I... thats what my wiring is gonna be.

Mcaanda - thanks for the info... much obliged!

Reign - You suck So where do you park that car of yours....

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
My PCM was programed by darth. It is the 94 Bonneville ECM. I can get some pics of it installed if u want..?
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Well i straightened all the PCM wiring connections out with Darth... i guess you can just take out the pins by removing the colored cover.. hehehe!
Will start work on that ASAP!!!

JncoMutt... id love to see how you have it installed if ya dont mind!?

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post

Well i straightened all the PCM wiring connections out with Darth... i guess you can just take out the pins by removing the colored cover.. hehehe!
Will start work on that ASAP!!!

JncoMutt... id love to see how you have it installed if ya dont mind!?

Oh really? *trots over to page 5 . . .

Originally posted by RandomTask
After I had hooked up all the sensors I was going to use, I took apart the C1 and C2 connectors. First, get a magic marker and write "C1" and "C2" on the respective connectors. Next you take the grey plastic backing off both of them. On the part that slides into the ECM (the blue plastic piece and the clear plastic piece), if you look at the sides of these you will notice some tabs. Push these in with a small flathead screwdriver then pull slide the cover off. There are two tabs per each of the four (two clear, two blue) connectors. Make sure you push them both in (not necessarily at the same time) Do not try to pry/yank on the cover as it will most likely break. Store these covers in a safe place where you will not lose them. You will now notice that the connectors are colorless which is why you wrote C1 and C2 on the sides (eliminates confusion on re-assembly)

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
Bump Bump Bumpity Bumpy Bump TTT
PFF
System Bot
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Well we now enter CRUNCH WEEKEND... the all out full blown attempt to finish the swap THIS WEEKEND... Tentativly FieroMaster88 aka James is supposed to come down from Mi to help...

Just a bunch of wiring and small things to do still...

Got some batteries for the Cam so ill get LOTS O PICS...

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
Sooooo get anything done?
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

SongMan - You could always LEAVE it OBD I... thats what my wiring is gonna be.

OK thanks, I didn't know you could do that. Everyone says the big thing with the Reatta is trying to get the digital gauges and stuff to work right with it. I haven't had this car long enough yet to know how it all works but the guys on the Reatta forum pretty much say it can't be done and have the gauges work. I find that very hard to believe.

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Songman.. If you coolant temp sensor is different from the 3800 then you may have to put one in from the Reatta, but there IS an extra hole in the intake manifold anyway from taking off the stock coolant passages for heater core so you could put it there, Since the PCM doesnt need the Oil pressure sensor you can use Reattas... i used the Fiero one for mine, although its a tight squeeze. For the TACH it depends on how the gauges read... but im assuming they may be ok if the Reatta uses a standard GM ignition modual, cause then it just reads so many pulses. and for the speedo, although im not sure HOW your speedo reads i know that the 3800 PCM sends the signal type then the fiero reads (i think analog and fiero needs digital... or the other way around) so you need a converter in some cases for fiero... BUT if your Reatta uses the same signal as the 3800 i believe that Darth or Loyd (whoever programs for you) can put the appropriate conversion needed for your gauge to read correctly... I believe! Other then that i dont see WHY gauges wouldnt work?

RandomTask and everyone else... Its all wired and we cut the flywheel down on my g/f's dads mill... Also got various other parts made and completed... The intake and a holder for air temp sensor (4" tube and 4" exhaust for temp sensor) i have like 3.5 FEET of 4" exhaust left from making that that i need to find a use for... haha! Some various other things done. I will take some pics today and get my list of stuff that needs done so i can show you how much i got to go. It WOULD have been in car if i wouldnt have trusted a freind of mine to hook me up with flywheel machining... got screwed and wasted 5 hours at LEAST doing that!! ARG!
BUT in any case, there isnt much left to do before i can put it in!

goatnipples2002

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
Looking good. Keep up the progress.

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 10-05-2005).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Ack i almost forgot that i need some help with the alternator wiring...

My alternator has a 3 wire plug.. its the 1996 alternator from the Riviera.

The plug uses leads L F and S
the colors for wires are...
L - Red F - Grey and S - Light Blue

any help is much loved... thats all that needs done for the harness!!

On Darth's site there is a wiring diagram for the 98 Generator plug... http://dtcc.cz28.com/files/DelphiAlt4pinconnector.zip
Its there... It shows the S and L terminals.... but NO F terminal. AND there is a 96 L36 wiring diagram that shows the L and F terminals...
The L terminals in BOTH say they go to the Gernerator L terminal output which is the tun-on output from PCM... in the 98 it shows the S terminal going to fused power. In the 96 L36 it shows the GREY wire going to the Generator F terminal input on PCM and is labeled as the Field Output at the generator...

Is mine a combo of both or what? help!?

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 10-03-2005).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
From the manual:

L - is your turn on input from the PCM

R - is Field output

Edit for after you just edited your above post. Guess it didn't help.. LOL. My alldata GM DVD1 is messed up too, so I can't even double check and see if it would be on there.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 10-03-2005).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Bah sheeeet...

I just talked to James who did my wiring AND checked my PCM pin outs... there IS no generator pin outs from the PCM... no turn on, no nothing...

OH.... FAWK.... what now!

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
You're running OBD I , right?

OBD II calls for :

Red- CLR #61
Grey- CLR #29

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
worse case scenario, you run a fiero style alt. It doesn't need any turn on.... Connect that thing to power, and spin the heck outta it..
PFF
System Bot
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
problem with that is i designed my mounts to work with the alternator i have... they are welded to my engine mount..
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post

The Fieromaster

4124 posts
Member since Jun 2001
well Darth updated his site... there is new info for wiring the 94-95 PCM on the 3800SC... Under the special instruction section he added a bunch more PCM PIN data. The Generator Control RED goes to A29 and the Volt/Batt lamp wire BRN goes to A32.
However that still leaves me with the F terminal and the S terminal...

I am assuming the brown wire is a PCM OUTPUT? So therefore must go to the Cars BATT light?

Perhaps i should still connect the S terminal to HOT to "Alt Sense Fuse" as it is in the 98 instructions? Then Leave the F terminal not connected like in the 98 instructions? Just ignore the 96 instructions all together... Hell if i know what a Field Output is... haha!

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
You suck at the Fiero....
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget you need the S wire to run to the C500, B1 I think it is...

Yea.. red L is your generator control. Goes to B4 on my PCM, too bad your's isn't the same, lol

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 10-04-2005).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
What does it do on the C500... is that just fused power right?
StansGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StansGTSend a Private Message to StansGTDirect Link to This Post
Didnt I tell you all about how to do all the stuff that was discussed earlyer?

------------------
02' 3800SC Poly, Koni, 17" 245-40's, "RWD" V6SC>V8 + V8=tractor motor

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Nope... i dont think so... but then again you have OBD II ya big lug

If ya remember the stuff you tried to send me about your swap never went through... so i never got anything from ya

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

What does it do on the C500... is that just fused power right?

I belive so... I have it labeled as "Charging system, Use with 20A"

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 10-04-2005).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
hmm... ok... ill check out what i got... give it a whirl. Still no home for the Grey wire but (F) but i guess that may be an Oh Well wire! haha
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post

The Fieromaster

4124 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Well here are some teaser pics...

Here is the new welded thermostat housing... just turned it and changed the angle. Then i had to weld the little pipe in back and on heater line closed... no need for them

Here is the engine side pretty much complete. All i need is to plug the one old heater hole still... since NO ONE sells freeze plugs in certain sizes... only DAMN KITS!

Here is my intake... Some 4" rubber tubing from McMaster Carr... CHEAP, High Vac, and Smooth Bore! The tube to filter conversion is a piece from a 4' long section of 4" exhaust tubing.

Here is a good shot of the back of the engine... Check out the exhaust. NO bolts short enough for flange YET so i have to hold it on with vice grips for the pic. The one bend is just a mock up for me to see how the tips will align... its only held on by screwdriver and will be a BOLTED on piece, so i can adjust angle!

Here is a low shot of the same stuff... hehe that exhaust had to hang pretty low to get them 4" canister packs in there.

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 10-04-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Ken_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtDirect Link to This Post
Looking Good, FYI I bought a 7/8 (I think, I cant remember) freeze plug at my local NAPA for $0.53 for the hole in the intake manifold.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I finally got my alldata GM1 dvd working again and I looked up the charging system diagrams for the 96 riviera SC, and it only lists L and F on the generator...

Edit, I read further in the fine print, lol... Here's what it says:

"CS-130 and CS-144 alternators may be used with only two connections. The battery positive BAT terminal must be connected to a battery during operation. The second required connection is through the indicator light, or a suitable external resistor to L terminal of the regulator which serves to turn unit On at start up. Three other regulator terminals are available for optional use in vehicle systems. The P terminal is connected to the stator, and may be connected to a tachometer or other device. The F terminal is connected internally to field positive, and may be used as a fault indicator. The S terminal may be connected externally to a voltage, such as battery voltage, to sense voltage to be controlled."

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 10-05-2005).]

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by crazyfieromike (edited 10-05-2005).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
AWESOME..... your my HERO!!!!!!!!!!

WOo HOo...

Now i can finish that. Going to go to Summit tonight to get wire loom and flywheel bolts. I am going to stick with the Isuzu tranny for now because i NEVER have a day off work... I have to work ALL weekend 12 hours a day, which is ok cause at my work after the 7th day straight from that day on EVERY HOUR till you get another day off is OVERTIME!! haha! RAWK ON!

Also have to get a slave cylender and figure out a way to repair the clutch line... It got fried at the stainless brade from rubbing on the trans. I DONT want to get a new one cause they are 170$... wich is INSANE seeing about 2 years ago i bought one for 90$... from the DEALER!

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Call bob from Kick Hill. If you don't mind swapping out the entire line, he may be able to get you a decent deal... Otherwise there are plenty of people parting out manual cars, maybe someone around you has one.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but I gathered up some junk rear brake calipers and brougt them back to The Fiero Store. They give you a store credit for them as cores, and then I used that credit to buy my new slave.

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2005 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Been 5 days.. it runnin????
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Wierd, I just replied to this post and it never bumped it up...

In anycase, the 4T65E-HD custom shortened axle got here from Loyde... Now just waiting on the Harness and the PCM.

Where's the update on YOURS???

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Well here are some teaser pics...

Here is the new welded thermostat housing... just turned it and changed the angle. Then i had to weld the little pipe in back and on heater line closed... no need for them

Here is the engine side pretty much complete. All i need is to plug the one old heater hole still... since NO ONE sells freeze plugs in certain sizes... only DAMN KITS!
Here is my intake... Some 4" rubber tubing from McMaster Carr... CHEAP, High Vac, and Smooth Bore! The tube to filter conversion is a piece from a 4' long section of 4" exhaust tubing.

ok 1st . look at an adj. freeze plug. it has a nut on it that can betightened to make the fit. i use one with no problem.

2nd...hook me up some of that rubber tubing for MY intake!!!.....ne really!

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock