Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The one and only Step-By-Step 3800 Series II SC Swap (Page 10)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
The one and only Step-By-Step 3800 Series II SC Swap by The Fieromaster
Started on: 07-15-2005 11:50 AM
Replies: 521
Last post by: darkhorizon on 01-14-2009 01:32 AM
The Fieromaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Revin if your serious ill build ya an intake... Does it need a air temp sensor too?
IP: Logged
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2005 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Two Words...

ITS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show pics asap!

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2005 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Fieromaster:

Two Words...

ITS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show pics asap!

it will never run slow slow slow wheres the pics if its in lol

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2005 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
It's in doesnt mean it works....slacker.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2005 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
among other things...
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
pics... you can all bite my azz hehehe!

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
i think those pics are photoshoped lol
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
yeah cause the flash on the camera on some of them was off and i had to brighten em up

your just jelous

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post

yeah cause the flash on the camera on some of them was off and i had to brighten em up

your just jelous

of what your phot shoping abitly try to fool people into thinking you got boost now

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
damn dude, don't you have a blow gun or some rags??? That thing is GROSS, lol

Good to see you got that thing in there finally. Are you going to run the fuel lines all the way round the engine compartment, or modify the stock rails? It should be nice once you pull that crank pulley off the snout and put on somethin a bit more reasonable..

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Yeah i plan on cleaning it of coarse...

I have a line on a Thrasher MPS so i may go that route for the pulley.

PFF
System Bot
Hairy_Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
User Banned

Report this Post10-15-2005 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hairy_FieroSend a Private Message to Hairy_FieroDirect Link to This Post
nice work
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Yeah i plan on cleaning it of coarse...

I have a line on a Thrasher MPS so i may go that route for the pulley.

Be sure before you start dropping pulley sizes, you invest in a scanner for KR. I would hate to see you pop a piston after all the work you have put into it.

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2005 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
is this a trial fit ....or is it going in for good?

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2005 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
for good... everything was measured and setup for a one time direct instal.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2005 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
how hard is it going to be to finish taping and looming up your wiring while the engine installed?

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 10-16-2005).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2005 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
With the OBDI there isnt a whole lot of wiring... It should be pretty easy, if anything i will just unbolt the rear cradle bolts and lift car so engine rocks back and i can get to the wiring better BUT its pretty easy cause there arent many wires.
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2005 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post

The Fieromaster

4124 posts
Member since Jun 2001
This may be a totaly stupid question but... the power wire from the alternator goes to the stud with the fusable link that attaches by right strut tower, correct?

Also for coolant hoses i used two that i think were mentioned earlier in this post... 4 banger Fiero ones maybe? The one had a larger end on one side and was really long. I slid the large end over the water pump side of the coolant system then cut off the extra like 6". The bends were PERFECT for clearing my alternator (or AC if your using a different setup). However the other line i was told to check out was shorter and will NOT reach... Perhps splice the one line and extra for other line together?
What did you all do?

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
TTT...
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Yea.. that alt wire goes to the stud. There is also a wire that should go from the batt to that stud.

I would take an old metal coat hanger and bend it approx how you need it to be for the coolent hose. Take that coat hanger to the parts store and see if you can find anything that comes close to matching...

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
I got the coolant hose thing nailed down something fierce... I will have to post pics and part numbers as they worked PERFECTO!!! Although for the drivers side the hose i got was a tad short so i cut a small section out of the metal Boat Anchor coolant tube and used that. Its NOT hokey like it sounds youll have too see when i get pics. Ill also repost the part numbers.
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
well why talk about posting pics, when you could ACTUALLY be doing so?!?!
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Still no pics... Hmmm.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 04-10-2006).]

ragerc92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragerc92Send a Private Message to ragerc92Direct Link to This Post
My guess is its patr of an atv rear axle carrier. Do I win the prize??

I did a series one swap and on my generator I just plugged it into the stock fiero harness from the c500 conn. Worked fine. Didnt use the pcm wiring for the generator at all. I beleive the generator I used is from a 94 s-10. nice work on the swap by the way.

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ragerc92:

My guess is its patr of an atv rear axle carrier. Do I win the prize??

Right part, wrong application. Its actually to an 80's corvette... Long live the Fiero!

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Sigh.... something cant be wired right... when i turned on the ignition for the first time it sounded like crackling in the gauge consol... that of frying potentiometer... if youve ever cooked one of those you know the sound. So im not sure what it was though.

Also i heard you could use the Fiero starter? that doesnt seem to be working very well AND/OR i have a PILE OF $HIT Auto Zone starter... so im gonna go to AZ and cross referance and stuff see if i can get the right part.

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
are you saying you need the correct starter p/n for the 3800sc? or the correct p/n for a 2.8 fiero? hea....hea....hea.....hea.....easy with the slamming az

------------------

FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

Sigh.... something cant be wired right... when i turned on the ignition for the first time it sounded like crackling in the gauge consol... that of frying potentiometer... if youve ever cooked one of those you know the sound. So im not sure what it was though.

Also i heard you could use the Fiero starter? that doesnt seem to be working very well AND/OR i have a PILE OF $HIT Auto Zone starter... so im gonna go to AZ and cross referance and stuff see if i can get the right part.

I can assure you that the Fiero 2.8 starter will fit and start the 3800SC just fine. It even sounds better on the 3800 than it does the 2.8 when turning over. The computer at AZ is going to show only one starter available for the 3800. The 2.8 starter is not going to cross reference to show to work.

Sorry to hear about the wiring. I would guess that you wired some of the AC stuff to ground that carries 12+... There is a black/white wire in C203 that is hot at key on and many people make the mistake of putting that wire to ground since it is "typicial" of GM to use Black/White as a ground color. There is also a Black/White at one of the injectors, and during wiring, this can be mistaken for ground, but this is the pulse signal from the PCM for that injector.

Loyde

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
There may be an easier way than this, but try to isolate the noise. Unplug one of the two long skinny connectors that plugs into the back of the guages and see if it makes the noise. Then plug it back in and pull the other one out. Try again. If it stops during one of these 'tests', break out the multimeter and have at it...
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post

Master, I used the fiero starter for the V-6 5 speed. I also got a larger (amp) battery. The first one could barely turn the motor over. I got a red top optima and she turns over just like normal

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Hey, how much clearance do you have from where the belt wrap around the water pump, to where the belt passes from tensioner to alternator near the waterpump. I set up my tensioner for my old alt placement. With the new placement, I only have about a 1/4" If the tensioner starts to wear, this gap will decrease.

I was just curious as to hows yours looked.

Edit to add a pic..

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 10-21-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Everything should be wired correctly. Did you unwire that switch you had in there for the fuel pump? Did you pinch any wires putting the engine in?

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Lyode - thanks for the advice... i will check all that out!!

Ohio86SE - i just kept having problems getting a good v6 Fiero starter from them. I have all kinds of problems with stuff from them!

Mutt - Thanks also for the advice i will check that out as well

Task - I dunno about battery being too weak to turn over engine... lol... mine was 800 cold cranking amps... hehe! But i did get a new one cause mine was FRIED!

Mutt again - The way my setup is now is a little different from that pic BUT i have about .5 inch of clearence and when belt streches the tensioner tilts UP now making spacing greater rather then tighter. Ill get some pics soon... just been soooo busy latley

James - Talking to you on AOL now, hope its just the battery... i have faith in your wiring!

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2005 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
ok i bought a 3800sc starter... installed and it cranks... however fuel pump relay shot so no fire. OH GOD is this thing gonna be loud... you can hear the burps of air out of the exhaust just cranking.. .hehee bub....bub...bub....bub....
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2005 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Swap it with the AC Relay..
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2005 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Did you plug your fuel pump in?
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Dont have AC

and of coarse i did.

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post

The Fieromaster

4124 posts
Member since Jun 2001
IT RUNS....ITS ALIVE....AND ITS FUNKING LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 10-23-2005).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Told ya my wireing harness was good. Glad you got it going.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
so why wouldnt it run?

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock