Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Gauging Interest in GT Quarter Windows Alternative. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Gauging Interest in GT Quarter Windows Alternative. by JimmyS
Started on: 02-15-2008 04:20 PM
Replies: 60
Last post by: Back On Holiday on 08-09-2008 07:10 PM
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
I have received some good comments on my GT Quarter Glass Conversion.

I have been looking into the possibility of reproducing them in Fiberglass. If I were to do this I would offer them in 2 different ways. 1st would be just plain fiberglass and 2nd would be covered in a Black Convertible Top Material as pictured. No emblems would be supplied. I have not begun this project yet but have been tossing the idea around for a while now. At this point in time, I do not even have a price range as to how much I would/could sell them for. I am hopeful that I can produce them for a price that will allow me to sell them at a appealing price.

My intention with this thread is to gauge how many people would be interested in order to determine if it is even worth my time and money to precede any further. Once I have determined if the interest is great enough I will then figure out the pricing. After that, I will probably require 1/2 down and 1/2 when ready to ship. The reason for this accomplishes 2 things. It shows a commitment from the buyer that they actually do want a set. It also prevents me from pre making them and being stuck with them. By that I mean...I will make them as the orders come in. They will not be pre made.

The ones pictured above were made using the stock OEM windows, modified and then covered in Convertible top material and GT emblems added. The ones pictured cost me $100 just in materials (Convertible top material, spray adhesive, GT emblems, mounting tape) not to mention my time. I would venture to guess that the fiberglass reproductions would be in the ballpark of $150.00 per set uncovered and $200.00 per set covered. As stated though, I do not know how much they will be. This is just a ballpark figure. The buyer would be responsible for supplying his or her own mounting tape and emblems (if wanted). As with all fiberglass aftermarket pieces, there will probably be some finish work required if the buyer would choose to paint them versus covering them.

If you are interested, please say so in this thread. I will update the list in the second post for record keeping purposes.

------------------

My best advice when it comes to your Fiero is to "NOT" do any dealings with www.kitcarman.com
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-061575.html <~ The drama with kitcarman
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078336.html <~ finishing and fixing kitcarmans mess
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079860.html <~ re-do after kitcarmans motor blew up.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
List of those interested...

War Hammer
El Guapo
1986 Fiero GT
mickeyswing52
eph_kay
Steve25
zmcdonal
Fieroseverywhere
Cajun
Majin
BMTFIERO
Lindner
shawnk

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 05-17-2008).]

War Hammer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerDirect Link to This Post
At $150 definately count me in for the sails. How about a custom taillight panel something like Pisa's?

~Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
3800SC Series 1 w/5spd
Coilovers
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

El Guapo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for El GuapoSend a Private Message to El GuapoDirect Link to This Post
Interested. Covered or uncovered. I like both ideas.
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
These are extremely sexy. I'm down.
mickeyswing52

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mickeyswing52Send a Private Message to mickeyswing52Direct Link to This Post
Yes one or maybe two sets here.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-16-2008 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

I have received some good comments on my GT Quarter Glass Conversion.

Not that it helps you any in selling, but that is a cool idea i may have to try on one of mine, as i have spider-webs on one side, waiting for it to break thru.

But i may just cover the thing as is with vinyl first, without cutting out the 'clear' area' just see what it looks like. Would be easier and cheaper then doing a set in aluminum like i had planned.

looks like a great idea tho, and i bet you sell a few.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 02-16-2008).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Very sexy and very nice. It appears that the air stream will behave basically like a notchy.

You might consider putting an opening at the leading edge to funnel air directly back. That might well give less negative air pressure behind the window.

The look of the panel though, is really nice and a change at this point might not look as good, but it is a thought.

Congrats.

Arn
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Not that it helps you any in selling, but that is a cool idea i may have to try on one of mine, as i have spider-webs on one side, waiting for it to break thru.

But i may just cover the thing as is with vinyl first, without cutting out the 'clear' area' just see what it looks like. Would be easier and cheaper then doing a set in aluminum like i had planned.

looks like a great idea tho, and i bet you sell a few.

It gets tricky with the spider web cracks. Once you cut out the clear part, it gets really fragile. When I did mine, they broke into several pieces (6 on 1 side and 9 on the other). I used a strong 2 part epoxy to put them back together. be very careful when you put them back together to make sure you retain the original shape exactly. If the shape isn't right you will have a hard time re-mounting them.

Because of them being so fragile, it may be less aggravation to just buy the fiberglass ones. Just my .02 though
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

JimmyS

4666 posts
Member since Apr 2006

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Very sexy and very nice. It appears that the air stream will behave basically like a notchy.

You might consider putting an opening at the leading edge to funnel air directly back. That might well give less negative air pressure behind the window.

The look of the panel though, is really nice and a change at this point might not look as good, but it is a thought.

Congrats.

Arn

Thanks Arn. I'm trying to keep these as simple as possible. The more complex they get, the higher the price. The goal is to make them an affordable alternative that still looks good yet different. I can't say for certain whether or not the air flow makes a difference but it quite possibly could. Air flowing thru the opening and across the decklid vents may be helping to pull air out of the engine compartment. I have not tested this theory but it does sound logical. One thing I do know for sure is... It makes things a whole lot easier when working on the motor. With that opening, you are able to reach thru it and access a lot of things easier.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 02-16-2008).]

eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayDirect Link to This Post
I was gonna say that exact same thing about it being easier to work on the engine, i did the fastback swap when I did my 3800 swap and I don't have any 1/4 glass and I really can't imagine how much more challenging it would be if I wasn't able to reach through that hole and grab stuff that way, if you do manage to get them around 200 covered I would be very likely to consider getting a set.

Chris
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eph_kay:

I was gonna say that exact same thing about it being easier to work on the engine, i did the fastback swap when I did my 3800 swap and I don't have any 1/4 glass and I really can't imagine how much more challenging it would be if I wasn't able to reach through that hole and grab stuff that way, if you do manage to get them around 200 covered I would be very likely to consider getting a set.

Chris

I'll say this much... having that opening there if your working on the car is a "GOD SEND"! It is so much easier.

I will be at the Daytona show, with the car, if anyone wants a closer look at the windows.
Steve25

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post
I'm interested

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post
I have always really liked the look of your quarter windows, and even have the thread bookmarked when you explained how you did it. I would be interested in a set, depending on the price. Nice work.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post
I like em. Very nice work
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I'm in. Where do I send the money? What do you need to get started?

EDIT: Can you post a pic of the whole car?

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 02-17-2008).]

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post

Very good looking. I'm interested.

Could you post a few photos with a view from the opposite side (the trunk side).

Thanks

Great work.

BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
They sure are pretty!!!

[This message has been edited by BMTFIERO (edited 02-18-2008).]

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

I'm in. Where do I send the money? What do you need to get started?

EDIT: Can you post a pic of the whole car?

Slow down a min. I'm not ready to take any money yet. I'm not even 100% positive that I am going to do these or not. I am currently just gauging interest and also looking into pricing and various other things.

What do I need to get started? Well first off I need an exact fiberglass replica of the stock panels. I currently have someone working on that for me and I will receive them at the Daytona meet. Then I will need to modify those to look like mine. Then I will have to pull a mold from them and find a good fiberglass person to make them from the mold. My fiberglass skills are poor at best. So finding someone to make them at a decent price is essential. I have a line on someone to make them but I have not spoken with this person about pricing yet. I want an experienced fiberglasser to make them so they are done right. If I tried to do it, i'm affraid that they would not be as good a quality.

You can find some current pics here.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/069338.html

Originally posted by Cajun:

Very good looking. I'm interested.

Could you post a few photos with a view from the opposite side (the trunk side).

Thanks

Great work.

I will take some pics tomorrow and post them for you, and thank you for the compliment.

Originally posted by Dave E Bouy:

I like em. Very nice work

Should I add your name to the list?

Originally posted by BMTFIERO:

They sure are pretty!!!

Do you want your name added also?

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 02-18-2008).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Slow down a min. I'm not ready to take any money yet. I'm not even 100% positive that I am going to do these or not. I am currently just gauging interest and also looking into pricing and various other things.

Sorry about that. I re-read my post and it does come off a bit pushy. I'm in no hurry and will probably enjoy the car as a notchie for a while before I do the fastback conversion. Keep us posted on if you are going through with it or not. Later.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2008 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
No problem I will definately keep this thread updated. Basically, once I get back from the Daytona meet, I will see how many people are interested and at that point decide whether or not to preceed further.
PFF
System Bot
BMTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
What is the status of this project?
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
As of right now, still in limbo. I won't know more till after the Daytona meet.
Thanks for the interest.
Jim
Majin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2008 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MajinSend a Private Message to MajinDirect Link to This Post
those are very nice, i would be interested in them myself good job!
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2008 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
do you have picture of the car from the side so we can see how it looks overall?
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2008 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.6lvvt6spdgt:

do you have picture of the car from the side so we can see how it looks overall?

Yes, scroll up a few posts and there is a link to other pics
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Well I have the quarter glass pieces re-produced in fiberglass. They are the same shape and size of the stock ones. I will be modifing them and will then have a mold made so they can be re-produced. I still am not sure on the price as of yet. I will know more in the beginning weeks of May.
Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post
thse look bad a$$
NYfastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYfastbackClick Here to visit NYfastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to NYfastbackDirect Link to This Post
OMG if I only has a fastback still. They look great good job.
BMTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
In case I did not say it before put me down for a least one set!
BMTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post

BMTFIERO

1187 posts
Member since Dec 2007
double post

[This message has been edited by BMTFIERO (edited 05-12-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Reguile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReguileSend a Private Message to ReguileDirect Link to This Post
hell I dont even have a fiero but if these are cheap enough i'll buy a pair lol
Lindner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LindnerSend a Private Message to LindnerDirect Link to This Post
I and my friend are interested in these!
87GT Toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT ToySend a Private Message to 87GT ToyDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, Would look good just in black on my white car
87GT Toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT ToySend a Private Message to 87GT ToyDirect Link to This Post

87GT Toy

14 posts
Member since May 2008
Very nice, Would look good just in black on my white car
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Well I have the quarter glass pieces re-produced in fiberglass. They are the same shape and size of the stock ones. I will be modifing them and will then have a mold made so they can be re-produced. I still am not sure on the price as of yet. I will know more in the beginning weeks of May.

Any progress being made? I think there is a lot more interest in this than you are seeing.

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2008 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the lack of status updates. I moved recently so haven't been on very much recently. Staus is... I am going to try and meet with the fiberglass guy next week. After that I will know more about pricing and a time table.
shawnk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkSend a Private Message to shawnkDirect Link to This Post
i would love a pair covered with the top material. think thats a nice addition

------------------
1987 5spd GT-----Sheerah

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Sorry for the lack of status updates. I moved recently so haven't been on very much recently. Staus is... I am going to try and meet with the fiberglass guy next week. After that I will know more about pricing and a time table.

Jimmy, Send me your new address. I still have your two shirts from the Punta Gorda show.

Dave
BMTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2008 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
A "keep it fressshhh" bump!!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock