Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Are Fieros Actually Selling For Decent Money ?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Are Fieros Actually Selling For Decent Money ? by PaulJK
Started on: 02-01-2008 08:07 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: fierce_gt on 02-02-2008 11:38 PM
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
From the looks of things recently, it seems that fieros have now hit an alll time low. Really nice cars have to be in the $2000 range before anybody even SHOWS interest - no way to tell for sure how much they actually SELL for. i've seen some members' cars priced at fractions of what they have into them and they sit ... and ... sit ... and sit. Look at sleeze -Bay; VERY few cars are bid to $3000 or beyond. i used to think that any fiero with working guages and A/C was worth at least $2500 ...maybe I'm wrong. Nice T-top cars maybe at least $4000 ... not lately.

Even parts values aren't looking good. Remember the $185 MSD 6A boxes ? Used to go for $100 used. The lowest I've EVER seen was $65 SHIPPED and it sat ... Expensive wheels and tires are bringing small fractions of the dollar spent, and don't even mention what my $85 (each) 2.8 injectors are worth.

My question is then: Please post if you have seen a fiero actually SELL for $3000 or more. Add a few details for perspective. I'm hoping for a lot of posts. but (as someone with 2 cars for sale), i'm afraid of what i might see .

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 02-01-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
I paid 3,200 for this 87 turbo -

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:
My question is then: Please post if you have seen a fiero actually SELL for $3000 or more. Add a few details for perspective. I'm hoping for a lot of posts. but (as someone with 2 cars for sale), i'm afraid of what i might see .

What I believe you're seeing is a poor economy, folks don't have a bunch of spare change to buy non essential things like hobby cars. It'll turn around eventually and our antiques will gain in value. But, if you're into this "hobby" to make bucks selling our two seater mid-engined monsters, you may be disappointed.

------------------
Ron

It's the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us the freedom of the press.
It's the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us the freedom of speech.
It's the Soldier, not the politicians
That ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
It's the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag.

antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
it is winter mind you
No one wants to drive a spinning death trap on ice
well i do but... i like sliding
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
not "make" money, Ron - "recover" money . heck, i'd be tickled if i could get NEAR the price I have spent on ANYTHING ....

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 02-01-2008).]

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Over the past year, I've noticed the prices steadily increasing for cars in "good" condition. This means no flaws and running perfect. Average seems to be ~2800-3000.

For cars that need "work", they seem to be falling pretty fast. Lots of "in progress" engine swapped cars selling for hardly anything.
WisconsinGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTDirect Link to This Post
I sold mine for $10,000.00 three weeks ago. But, I agree...It is a tough market at the moment.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Most are going under $3,000. It is still the best deal for a 2 seater sportscar that there is.

Arn
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
When I think about what I paid for my cars 5 to 6 years ago, I think those same cars in the same condition would be worth about half what they were then. And that's before inflation is factored in. I think Fiero prices are still dropping, and may never recover except for a few rare or highly modified cars.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Just too many Fiero's and too little demand.

Stock 1980's cars are slow vs later cars.

Also modified cars can be crap shoot if you don't know or understand how to work on them or how they are built. Modifications many times can limit a cars value if the builder is unknow or the build is undocumented. Too many people who can't build them lose out when they buy a car built to crap standards. It is a shame one car can hurt many well built cars.

For year this same problem hurts cars like Pro Streeters. Though Street Rods though seem to avoid this fpr sp,e reason? It might be because many are kits today.

I have seen a low mileage Formula T top going for $2900,00 And it was just sold before for $1800,00.

If you want a Pontiac investment buy a 70-79 TA with a 400, Can Am, 97 TA Turbo, FireHawk of any year, Comp TA, Pace Car TA or GP, 1986 2+2, or a Notchback option TA from 1988. All of these are selling cheap ans most are either low production and or high demand.

The 2nd Gen TA from 75-79 is cheap right now and the price has grown more and more as the GTO prices are way out of line.

The Fiero may climb some day but right now it is a ways off and when it does it still will not skyrocket the value vs many other cars. Just too many still around with low miles and in good condition vs how many were built. The 88 is the best to have but will be the hardest to service if parts do not remain available.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Right now, people are still paying off their credit cards in the aftermath of Christmas.
Others are saving their coin to pay Uncle Sam's income tax, or are waiting for their tax refund.

It's always slow, this time of year.

But... I recently saw a 40-something-K 88 GT sell for ~$7K.
Also saw a 20-something-K 88 GT sell for ~$9K.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-01-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
I was offered $5,000 (88GT with 93k, save me the you're an idiot speech) this past summer, and passed, found a 540i the next week and was $4,000 short... Did some fall cruises out deep in the countryside in my Fiero, couldn't care less I didn't sell it. I am not in it for the money at this point, just the fun.
Puckhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PuckheadSend a Private Message to PuckheadDirect Link to This Post
PLEASE! If you know of a midwest located, daily driver worthy, car UNDER 2k let me know. The only one close to me is an 86 v6 notchback with 188,000 miles on it and that guy wants $1800 for it. Barring any miracles next week I'm going to try to get it for 12.....

attempting to be a Fiero owner, I am

-T
ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Direct Link to This Post
I don't understand. The Fiero is supposed to be immune to the depreciation that takes place with almost every motor vehicle ever made? I paid $6000 for my GT ten years ago because it was an outstanding dead stock example of a very low mileage car that I loved, ..but I took it out of it's pampered environment; drove and enjoyed it. I certainly didn't expect appreciation. But if anyone wants to offer me $7500 for it, I'm game.

Expect even less if you modify your car. Many of the people that are highly creative and produce cars that are better than original (many on this forum) are so driven that once the car is finished, they lose interest and sell in order to start their next project. These are excellent buys for the buyer and will almost never return a fraction of the investment to the seller. In fact, I have my eye on several forum member's (you know who you are) exceptional cars just waiting for the day when they lose interest and put them up for sale.

It's the way of the jungle Bambi.
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
The way to get good money for a fiero would probably be by selling it to someone who isnt very familiar with cars. It may be wrong in some aspects but if after i have my fiero running and painted if someone offers me decent money for it ill probably sell it. I bought the car because i do like it but i would like to get some money for it in the end to invest in another one later on in life.
zz_camaro_zz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zz_camaro_zzSend a Private Message to zz_camaro_zzDirect Link to This Post
Here's one of the cars i went and looked at so far. well above the 2000 mark

http://minneapolis.craigsli...g/car/535699972.html
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
This is pretty much the point. When I got into Fiero's I was looking for a sports car as a personal hobby vehicle. My first choice was the Austin Healey 3000, (OMG How expensive!!!), second choice Triumph TR6, or 4A, third choice Triumph Spitfire 6, (parts problems and still alot of money up front), fourth choice Corvette.

All of these choices meant bigger money up front and more expensive parts. When I came across the Fiero, it was under $3,000 and lent itself to the hobbyist. In terms of hotrodding, the cars are not expensive to play with. They are a hugely good deal for a hobby car.

When I go to sell, there is no way to get my investment out of the car. I know this, and I own the car for my personal enjoyment. In a world where you can easily spend $3,000 a year on a golf club membership and playing, or spend $4,000 to $5,000 on a vacation, my little car is giving me thousands of hours of hobby and that is a good deal.

If I wanted an investment, I'd see my investment adviser, not a car dealer. Just my .02

Arn

------------------

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I sell several Fieros a month that are in the average condtion of most Fieros. I sell them as DDs that are dependable but may not be the best looking. I get between $1300-$1700 a piece from them depending on what year/model they are.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Got my Formula 97k miles for $300, my Dad's Indy 70k miles for $100. Both are daily drivers.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 02-02-2008).]

justa6

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post
am automotive forum is a bad place to sell a car if you want to get a good value for it (doesnt matter if it is fieros or something else). if you want to see what cars are going for look them up in things like autotrader, craigslist, ect. forums are great places to buy cars, bad places to sell. all a forum does is drive down the price.

i think fastbacks are begining to come up some, especially if they are in good shape. i bought my first fiero 10 years ago, and to find one in the condition it was in i'd be spending probably about $1000 more.

they are 20-25 years old now, give them more time. but for now, just enjoy them. they are becoming more rare with every day

------------------

My Photography
My Designs
87 Fiero GT 5-speed.
99 CSVT 5-speed.On life support, waiting its fate
99 Accord 5-speed (Annonomity)

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by justa6:
..... i bought my first fiero 10 years ago, and to find one in the condition it was in i'd be spending probably about $1000 more.

It would also take you forever to find one, close enough to inspect before you bought it. I would never buy one sight unseen such as from E-Bay.
I have an 87GT I would sell but I will not take less than $2500.00 and it needs paint. I know that GT with confidence. With another I would be taking a chance at getting lucky or not, most likely both.
I agree with selling to someone that does not know Fieros well, as far as making decent money from a sale. A Fiero forum is a buyers market.
In 2001 I bought my 87GT for $3000.00. Worth every penny. In 2004 I bought an 86GT for $1500.00 and I can not sell it for $1250.00. In 2005 I bought my 88GT T top for $3500.00. Worth more than every penny.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 02-02-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Fix a car add some cool wheels and find a high school kid who has daddys check book always works to get a good return.

I have seen so many teens buy bad cars or over pay on good cars just because of cool wheels or stereo.

I was lucky I almost did the same at that age but my dad stopped me and or I would take a buddy who would wake me up and tell me to walk on.
fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2008 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post
86SE v6 auto, ~90 000kms, loaded. pretty much stock plus basic stereo, and paint(not new paint, just not stock color)
sold yesterday for $3000
had half a dozen offers for 2500-2650 range. when i first put it up for sale for 4500, i had a TON of offers for around 3000-3500 but i didn't take them at the time, oops.

------------------

Winnipeg Fiero Owners Group

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock