Started on: 01-28-2008 05:28 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: Winkie on 01-31-2008 09:34 PM
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
I recently picked up an 87 Coupe. I want to do some minor bodywork. I want to shave the PONTIAC off the headlight door, I removed the rear PONTIAC badge so now there are 3 holes, and I want to removed the front emblem. Can I use simple autozone body filler for minor stuff like this? Or should I glass? The roof had a tree fall on it, so it bent and chipped a little, when I pop it back can I use body filler to fix it? If not, what can I use, how should I do it, etc. etc. I am new to bodywork but I want to mack out this 87 and I want to start here.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
For taking the pontiac off the headlight door you may want to try sanding the clearcoat off of it then take some smc panel adhesive and fill it in. For the holes after removing the badges you will need a 3M product. The bumpers are obviously not fiberglass so panel adhesive won't adhere very well. The panel Adhesive that I used was ever coat smc fiberglass panel adhesive. It also has a 3 on it in a square, to help you identify it. The 3M stuff is a two part epoxy. I can't remember what its called but I can get it for you later. For sanding, You can take it down with a power sander but do the final sanding by hand. Use something like 220 grit maybe even a little grittier. For the nicks you can use the same stuff but use the panel adhesive on the fiberglass and the 3M stuff on the plastic.

Ryan

[This message has been edited by Winkie (edited 01-28-2008).]

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Where did you buy this stuff?
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
I bought the adhesive at a Sherwin Williams auto finishes store and the 3M stuff someone bought for me but you can find it online. Maybe SW can get that too.

Ryan
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
http://www.sherwin-automoti..._products.cfm?cat=37

make a choice... keep it cheap lol.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post

Mr.PBody

3172 posts
Member since Oct 2006
http://www.sherwin-automoti...product=32613&cat=37

would this work for repairing my roof and blocking out the PONTIAC on the headlight?

And this one
http://www.sherwin-automoti...product=29518&cat=37

[This message has been edited by Mr.PBody (edited 01-28-2008).]

Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:

And this one

Thats what I used I have to take a look at the 3M stuff and get you a link for it.

Ryan

Firefox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Winkie:

For taking the pontiac off the headlight door you may want to try sanding the clearcoat off of it then take some smc panel adhesive and fill it in. For the holes after removing the badges you will need a 3M product. The bumpers are obviously not fiberglass so panel adhesive won't adhere very well. The panel Adhesive that I used was ever coat smc fiberglass panel adhesive. It also has a 3 on it in a square, to help you identify it. The 3M stuff is a two part epoxy. I can't remember what its called but I can get it for you later. For sanding, You can take it down with a power sander but do the final sanding by hand. Use something like 220 grit maybe even a little grittier. For the nicks you can use the same stuff but use the panel adhesive on the fiberglass and the 3M stuff on the plastic.

When you prep your headlight cover to fill in the PONTIAC lettering, grind the surface with 24 0r 36 grit grinding disk and fill with your filler. If you are too smooth, the filler won't grip and will crack and seperate over time. Filler needs something harsh to grab onto or it won't stay put. Once you have your lettering filled, sand it smooth with 180 / 220 grit paper on a sanding block so it's all flat, then prime. Once you have a couple good coats of primer on and dried, use a sanding block again and sand with 320 grit. When it's smooth and flat, you're ready to go.

As for the holes in the rear bumper cover from the emblem, I have the 3M EZ Sand Flexible Parts Repair Kit. It's not cheap but it works like a dream, but with the small holes you might be able to use the fiberglass filler without problems. Just chamfer the hole on both sides so the fiberglass won't slide out.

The roof needs the SMC repair filler and make sure you remove all the loosened and cracked material before filling it.

NAPA carries everything.

Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

When you prep your headlight cover to fill in the PONTIAC lettering, grind the surface with 24 0r 36 grit grinding disk and fill with your filler. If you are too smooth, the filler won't grip and will crack and seperate over time. Filler needs something harsh to grab onto or it won't stay put. Once you have your lettering filled, sand it smooth with 180 / 220 grit paper on a sanding block so it's all flat, then prime. Once you have a couple good coats of primer on and dried, use a sanding block again and sand with 320 grit. When it's smooth and flat, you're ready to go.

As for the holes in the rear bumper cover from the emblem, I have the 3M EZ Sand Flexible Parts Repair Kit. It's not cheap but it works like a dream, but with the small holes you might be able to use the fiberglass filler without problems. Just chamfer the hole on both sides so the fiberglass won't slide out.

The roof needs the SMC repair filler and make sure you remove all the loosened and cracked material before filling it.

NAPA carries everything.

Thats the 3M stuff.

Ryan
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I removed every Pontiac logo on the car...front bumper, headlight, tail lights etc. The SMC filler worked for me for the headlight.
Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT (wife's toy), 1986 SE soon to be VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
I am on a tight budget, but NAPA will carry all of this? I don't really want to buy online and have to pay for shipping.
PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
The NAPA that I deal with can order anything we all talked about. I use them secondary to my regular body shop supply house in a pinch so that should be able to save you shipping.

Mark
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Alright, so what did we decide I need to just do the PONTIAC, and the bumper holes? Something that would also fix my chipped roof would be nice. If there is 1 miracle paste that will do all of this, what is it? If not, tell me what I need and I will go to NAPA and see how much I can afford right now.
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
Just the 3M stuff that was posted for the bumper and the adhesive that you posted a link to for the headlight door and the chips.

Ryan
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-29-2008 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-14-2009).]

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Roof and Headlight door?
http://www.autobodytoolmart...inforced-filler.aspx

Sorry for my stupid questions, I honestly have no idea what I am getting into, but there is only 1 way to learn.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
There are no stupid questions......we're here to help out. Just keep asking.

Mark

------------------

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
bump for some more input, I need to find a NAPA near me, the one I was going to go to is gone.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Check NAPAs website and store locator search for a store near your zip code....
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I will never ever ever attempt to do body work again. When I dropped my car off at the body shop, they looked at my body work and then sent me for an eye exam.
I'll just stick to what I am good at.
Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 01-31-2008).]

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Well I am probably going to paint this one too, I want to hone my skills, if I eff up a $200 car... whatever it'll still have a 300HP engine.
PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
If it doesn't work out, you can buy another $200 car and swap out the body panels if they turn out that bad and start over. The Fiero is probably the best car out there to learn on as you can cheaply replace a panel that's too messed to to redo......try that with a ' 70 442 or Chevelle.

Mark
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
This is what I used. You will use that on your headlight door and your roof.

The 3M stuff will be used on the bumper.

Ryan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock