Is Design 1 Systems still in business? by TommyT913
Started on: 11-09-2007 07:44 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: AutoTech on 01-18-2008 04:48 PM
TommyT913

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Direct Link to This Post
Just curious as to whether or not they're still in business or if anyone has purchased one of their turbo kits recently. I'm considering going this route instead of the 3800SC route due to concerns (and sleepless nights) about hacking up my super nice 87' GT. I'm willing to trade off the lower power output for a minimally invasive upgrade. I also like the fact that the car can be returned to stock with little fuss if need be.

I called the number on their website (dated 2003) and left a message on a generic automated answering machine. If their out of business, I'll have to look for something else.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

TommyT

[This message has been edited by TommyT913 (edited 11-09-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
I tried to buy a kit about 8-10 months ago. I called every day for two weeks and could never get ahold of them. I even left a few messages, but I got nothing. Obviously thier not too interested in selling anything.

I ended up buying a complete Fiero with the kit installed a week later, for the same price.
TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech:

I tried to buy a kit about 8-10 months ago. I called every day for two weeks and could never get ahold of them. I even left a few messages, but I got nothing. Obviously thier not too interested in selling anything.

I ended up buying a complete Fiero with the kit installed a week later, for the same price.

Nice snag!!!! Sucks about Design 1 though.

------------------
87' Fiero GT 5 speed w/ 53,000 original miles

AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
Sure is. Its a nice kit and is great for making some decent, reliable HP. However if you ever wanted to crank up the boost and tune for more power, the little IHI turbo just simply wont support it.

Another thing is, I think the price is a little high. But of course, they have no competition either....
TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Direct Link to This Post
The price is a little high but considering it comes with the exhaust for a manual equipped car, it isn't terrible. In regards to the IHI turbo.... I am very familiar with it as I've recently defected from the Turbo Ford camp. It came stock on 87-88 Thunderbird TurboCoupes. Pulls like a freight train to 4500 rpm (in a TBird 2.3) and then noses over. Now maybe I can find a kit somewhere or I'll just have to recreate one. Got any pics????

Tommy
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
I'll take some pics tomorrow. It really is a simple kit.

What all do you know about upgrading the RHB5? I've seen a bigger compressor housing and wheel on eBay, but thats about it.
TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Direct Link to This Post
I don't know anything about upgrading it. The standard upgrade for the IHI equipped TBirds was the Garrett t3 60 AR cold 48 hot. I look forward to seeing the pics.

Tommy
TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Direct Link to This Post

TommyT913

93 posts
Member since Oct 2007
I don't know anything about upgrading it. The standard upgrade for the IHI equipped TBirds was the Garrett t3 60 AR cold 48 hot. I look forward to seeing the pics.

Tommy
HTXtremes

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
I called a few weeks ago and got an answer!
Found number I called 405-733-5505
------------------
'88 Coupe (extensive mods underway)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/086359.html

[This message has been edited by HTXtremes (edited 11-09-2007).]

merlot566jka

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
i live down the road from them, although ive never been there. alot of locals tell me stories of madcurl and the design one guys hang out alot and eat at a local bbq place here.
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
Im still in the beginning stages of finding an upgrade, or a whole turbo for that matter, to replace the one supplied in the kit.

Heres a picture I just took of the "ID" plate on thier turbo. If we can find out what exactly this thing is, maybe we can find a bigger, better unit that will be a direct replacement. If so, you may be able to buy their kit, minus the turbo. Or buy mine for cheap

[This message has been edited by AutoTech (edited 11-09-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
IMSA/GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA/GTSend a Private Message to IMSA/GTDirect Link to This Post
I have the Design1 stage II turbo in my IMSA. 12 years and 75K miles now without any problems. Very reliable and fun to drive.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I'm sending some parts to a Fiero owner in the UK who is installing a Design One turbo system in his Fiero. I'm not sure if he just bought it or what.

Have a Stage II in my 88 Mera. Night and day difference in performance. Excellent upgrade.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Same I had with my 3.1. Ran perfect for over 7 years and 100K. Guy who bought the car several years ago did take it out and put a v8 in. Lotsa fun, its a shame they stop making something that works great. I thought the asking price was OK since I spent $5,000 on the engine. I did cheat and find the complete kit at Carlisle one year for $1500.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by merlot566jka:

i live down the road from them, although ive never been there. alot of locals tell me stories of madcurl and the design one guys hang out alot and eat at a local bbq place here.

Yep. Man that's good eatin.' Kevin and I hang out everytime whenever I'm in town. I talk to Kevin nearly once a week and D1S called me this week on the 9th, so I know Kevin's phone is working. You might want to call Kevin now, since he's usually off on the weekends. If not, call back after 5pm Mon-Fri. Although I'm not an expert on the Turbo 2.8, Kevin does support his products and will be able to answer your questions.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it never is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can become a reality; Archie and the Crew and make your Dreams into a reality."

TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Yep. Man that's good eatin.' Kevin and I hang out everytime whenever I'm in town. I talk to Kevin nearly once a week and D1S called me this week on the 9th, so I know Kevin's phone is working. You might want to call Kevin now, since he's usually off on the weekends. If not, call back after 5pm Mon-Fri. Although I'm not an expert on the Turbo 2.8, Kevin does support his products and will be able to answer your questions.

On behalf of those that want his kit, you may want to suggest to your friend that he answer his phone and respond to voicemails..... That's if he's still interested in continuing his business. There are people here who want his kit but have been unsuccessful in contacting him. (Myself included.) This doesn't make for a good feeling when I'm contemplating spending ~$3000 on an item that may need customer support in the future. Just my 2 cents.

TommyT

------------------
87' Fiero GT 5 speed w/ 53,000 original miles

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyT913:

On behalf of those that want his kit, you may want to suggest to your friend that he answer his phone and respond to voicemails..... That's if he's still interested in continuing his business. There are people here who want his kit but have been unsuccessful in contacting him. (Myself included.) This doesn't make for a good feeling when I'm contemplating spending ~$3000 on an item that may need customer support in the future. Just my 2 cents.

TommyT

No problem. I call him right now.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by HTXtremes:

I called a few weeks ago and got an answer!
Found number I called 405-733-5505

I just got off the phone with Kevin and I told him about the unanswered phone calls. I told him to stay by the phone and to expect a call in a few minutes. He (kevin) did tell me he has a few messages he hadn't answered yet, however I'd call him now.
TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Direct Link to This Post
5:32pm................No answer.
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
LOL, like I said, doesnt seem to be interested in selling anything. Heres some pics as promised...

TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Direct Link to This Post
Autotech thanks for the pics. Your piping looks like it was improved or the kit changed along the way. Looks good regardless. As far as Design 1 Systems goes, Kevin did call me tonite after Madcurl got in touch with him. Good news! The bad news is that the pricing on the website is out of date.... The Stage 1 kit is now $4000 + shipping. The Stage 2 upgrade is still $800 which would bring the whole shebang to right around $5000.

I asked a whole mess of questions and it seems to be a well designed and executed kit. I'll have to think about what to do, as the price increase makes it a little difficult to swallow when I thought it would cost $4000 complete.

For those interested. There is a 4 to 6 week turn around time from time of order to delivery.... They're custom built on a per order basis.

TommyT
PFF
System Bot
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
I had the Miller-Woods (which is the same as the Design 1) turbo on my car for years. It's a great product, extremely well engineered, complete, and durable. While the kit is a little pricey, it's gonna work right the first time you turn the key. Always something to consider. The only thing that would make me hesitate would be the condition of your engine. Is it in great shape? How many miles? This is a great kit, but if you put 8-10 lbs of boost on an engine that's already on it's last legs, you'll be rebuilding it sooner rather than later.
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
4K seems to be the going rate nowadays for any nice turbo kit. You can install it in a weekend, and like Doc John said, it will run right the first time.

It defenately bumps up the power and makes for a real fun car to drive, but it also does leaves you wanting more. At least for me that is. Which brings me back to the turbo, its too damn small! Maybe you can call him back and see what he says about a bigger unit?

Edit - I did re-do the intake plumbing, most everything was bought through eBay!

[This message has been edited by AutoTech (edited 11-10-2007).]

TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doc John:

I had the Miller-Woods (which is the same as the Design 1) turbo on my car for years. It's a great product, extremely well engineered, complete, and durable. While the kit is a little pricey, it's gonna work right the first time you turn the key. Always something to consider. The only thing that would make me hesitate would be the condition of your engine. Is it in great shape? How many miles? This is a great kit, but if you put 8-10 lbs of boost on an engine that's already on it's last legs, you'll be rebuilding it sooner rather than later.

Your positive testimony toward the kit seems to be the norm regarding it. I guess it's well deserved. I guess I just have a little sticker shock since the website had it at $800 cheaper. As far as my engine is concerned... It runs great. I was fortunate enough to buy a 54k mile, 2 owner 87 GT. See sig for pic.

------------------
87' Fiero GT 5 speed w/ 54,000 original miles

Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
Go for it. You should be fine with only 54K. Mine didn't go on 'till about 65K.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i would love to drop by D1S sometime after my dumbass blazer is working correctly.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
I have been calling for a week straight & no answer or returned calls. I called WCF today but Chris hasnt called me back either. *shrug*

------------------
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 340whp
Nurburgring WARRIOR!!!! I survived the "Green Hell".

3.4Turbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.4TurboSend a Private Message to 3.4TurboDirect Link to This Post
I have one of Kevin's stage 2 kits on my 3.4 and it dyno'd at 200 rwhp. He runs D1S out of his shop next to his house but has another "real" job and a family. He will eventually get back to you and provides a quality product. Last time I needed some replacement parts for my turbo (gaskets,studs and such) it took a while for him to get back to me and send them but I got them in the mail with an invoice that said send me a check when you get the parts. He takes care of his customers. John
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

I have been calling for a week straight & no answer or returned calls. I called WCF today but Chris hasnt called me back either. *shrug*

I just got off the phone with Kevin 1-minute ago. I asked him about receiving messages on his shop phone and he told me he just checked yesterday. You might want to leave a message right now.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good, but never is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can become a reality; Archie and the Crew can make your Dreams into a reality."

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

looks like someone moved back stateside?

ive still got that 3.4L Pushrod motor i got from you, its running strong in my 87GT, about 10-15,000 miles on it so far after 3-4 years in.

matthew

megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
for anyone interested the ihi available in the turbocoupes is the biggest ihi turbo that has a t3 flange. it can support 250 hp in a perfect world. i too came from turboford, i sorta went from an 88 mustang to an 88 fiero, kinda funny. be nice to see a 2.3t swap in a fiero
PFF
System Bot
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by megafreakindeth:

for anyone interested the ihi available in the turbocoupes is the biggest ihi turbo that has a t3 flange. it can support 250 hp in a perfect world. i too came from turboford, i sorta went from an 88 mustang to an 88 fiero, kinda funny. be nice to see a 2.3t swap in a fiero

So what kind of aftermarket is availabe? Be nice to find a bigger direct replacement unit that uses the same "T3" flange. I take it that is the same flange as in the D1 kit?

D1 flanges -

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by megafreakindeth:

I thought the KKK turbos had T3 flanges as well..? I believe my K26 can support about 280hp @ 16psi but with a wheel from a K27 can do 450hp.
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
I did a little quick research and it looks like the K26 does use T3 flanges. Now I need to find out what flanges are on this IHI in the D1 kit...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock