The Blue GT-B Build by PontiacJ829
Started on: 09-17-2007 11:10 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: PontiacJ829 on 02-24-2008 12:15 PM
PontiacJ829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post
Here I am at last starting a build thread.
The car:

A 1988 GT.
The car was originally red with gold lace wheels, then painted partially white by the next owner and painted blue by the owner previous to me- Phil Randolph of Rhode Island. She'll stay blue, but is going to change to MINI electric blue.

I may possibly have some kind of stripe so it isn't a solid color, but we're no where no painting.

Wheels & Tires are going to be
Falken Torque 5 Gun Metal 17x7 Front & 18x8 Rear
BFGoodrich KDW 2 215/45R17 Front & 245/40R18 Rear

The main goals by the Spring are:
A 3800 Supercharged Series II
All new updated underneath KYB, Poly, Addco Sway bars, Coil-Overs etc.
New Wheels & Tires
Here's what it looked like Sunday afternoon

The factory wheels are currently on my Dad's '87 Coupe, that why the GT has steels now.

The seats are also in the '87 Coupe, but not for long because the Coupe's factory seats are getting recovered.
Not much is planned for the interior over the winter other than new carpet. Next winter I plan to do a 4th Gen. Firebird interior swap, but seats will be coming from a Solstice.

Here's a nose I'll be replacing the current one with due to an accident I had a few years ago with a Ford Explorer:

We did fix that nose, but it will be no where near what I want it to be so I bought the black nose off of Jason (Fierofreak00)

A little bit of the motor taken apart, I won't be saving any of it besides stuff that I need for the 3800.

Some rust issues in the trunk area to take car of, looks to have been repaired before.

Other side is fine.

ECM unplugged and removed, I found out this was replaced at one point with a NAPA computer.

Some plugs unplugged.

More rust to take car of.

Draining fluids and getting plugs and bolts that are holding the wiring harness from underneath

Here's how I left it today, everything from the wiring unplugged & unbolted. I just need to take out the A/C compresser to pull it out all the way.

Wow, it's nice to finally start one of these.
-Jimmy
P.S. I hope I did that VBook thing right

------------------
1988 GT & 1999 Grand Prix GT

[This message has been edited by PontiacJ829 (edited 10-09-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post
Got The nose taken off today

Hood off

Nose off

What was done to fix the wreckage before.

It's about 10 pounds heavier on the one side, due to lots of fiberglass and metal

Keeping track of all my bolts 'n nuts via off brand Tupperware

That's all I really plan to do today since it's over 80° & the carport absorbs heat so its about 100° in my working space.
The next big plan is to start cleaning the one bay of the garage between this weekend and next weekend.

It looks like there's more than there really is. Somehow there's a pool table underneath all that stuff.

Here's what will be going in the carport once we get her movable, just need to put the brakes together on the left front.

Dad's High School car from way back in 1968 . It's a 1941 Pontiac Two Door Sedan.
and here's what's going in the other bay

Yes another 1941, but this one is a business coupe.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

good luck on the 3800 swap.

A cherry picker and a chain between the strut towers is the easiest way I know of to lift the rear end of that to slide the motor out the bottom.
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

good luck on the 3800 swap.

A cherry picker and a chain between the strut towers is the easiest way I know of to lift the rear end of that to slide the motor out the bottom.

We rebuild the motor in the '87 coupe we have so dropping the motor should be no problem... "been there, done that"
Boominator

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2007 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoominatorSend a Private Message to BoominatorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PontiacJ829:

A 3800 Supercharged Series II

Wow, you & Dad are going to be busy!!! I hope you document & post your 3800 S/C conversion details along the way. I want to do one of these conversions in the future...after I get my V8 crate motor project completed on HELOYELO.
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
cool. I look forward to watching your buildup, but I was absolutly giddy when I saw the wheels you're using. I've been looking for some wheels for the front of my IMSA with a better offset than my current raceline gt rims, but that matched the look of the GTs, which I want to keep on the back. your Torque 5s fill the bill nicely. I found them on sale at Edge Racing for $110.oo ea and a pair of Faulkin FK452 for $86.oo ea also.

What trans do you plan to use with the 3800?

Russ544
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

cool. I look forward to watching your buildup, but I was absolutly giddy when I saw the wheels you're using. I've been looking for some wheels for the front of my IMSA with a better offset than my current raceline gt rims, but that matched the look of the GTs, which I want to keep on the back. your Torque 5s fill the bill nicely. I found them on sale at Edge Racing for $110.oo ea and a pair of Faulkin FK452 for $86.oo ea also.

What trans do you plan to use with the 3800?

Russ544

Thanks, those are about the only wheels I found I like in the style, size and offset that suite me. Funny thing is I work at a tire store and the salesman I'm good friends with told me I'm better off buying online, go figure. I plan to buy them from EdgeRacing too. Hopefully I'll be using a 4t65e HD, but they seem to be really hard to find.
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post
Well I was wrong, there is ALOT more stuff than I thought to move.

But wait, my Dad reminded me of some storage space I had forgotten about

As soon as I got home from work I dug into the pile and started moving stuff, stuff and more stuff!

Here's what it looks like after I quit tonite

Lots of stuff ended up being garbage, but lots of stuff is worth saving.

CleanER!
The next plan is to buy some shelving from Lowe's to mount flush with the wall, it'll cost around $150 but will create a lot of space.
My Dad didn't initially like the idea of me moving a bunch of things thinking I might throw something that isn't garbage away .
I plan to clean a little bit of the other side of the garage too. Mainly get rid of most if not all of these damn coffee cans.

Need more room.....

More coffee cans

Just needs a little straighting

I know this reply didn't involve the Fiero at all, but I feel I got a bunch accomplished to help bring it one step closer to getting in the garage. I'm hoping we can get it in next week .
reapermedic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reapermedicSend a Private Message to reapermedicDirect Link to This Post
That my friend, is what I would call heaven. I could be happily lost in there for months with enough Dr. Enuf.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
so is this a build thread, or lets see what catastrophic event Bobadoo can create with all the stuff in my garage
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post10-08-2007 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PontiacJ829:

[booktext]Here I am at last starting a build thread.
The car:

A 1988 GT.
The car was originally red with gold lace wheels, then painted partially white by the next owner and painted blue by the owner previous to me- Phil Randolph of Rhode Island. She'll stay blue, but is going to change to MINI electric blue.

*snip*

Im not one for pastels normally, but i like that color. Anyone h appen to know the codes? I have to repair/repaint my blue GT to undo the damage the PO did to it. Tho if i wait long enough all the paint he put on will be gone, he didnt clear coat and its starting to 'powder' off.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 10-08-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Im not one for pastels normally, but i like that color. Anyone h appen to know the codes? I have to repair/repaint my blue GT to undo the damage the PO did to it. Tho if i wait long enough all the paint he put on will be gone, he didnt clear coat and its starting to 'powder' off.

Contact Phil Randolph on here, his user name is Phil. It's some Ford color, I did get a lot of comments from that color.

That my friend, is what I would call heaven. I could be happily lost in there for months with enough Dr. Enuf.

You haven't even seen the rest of the cars, 20 in all, and parts we have .

so is this a build thread, or lets see what catastrophic event Bobadoo can create with all the stuff in my garage

It will start to be one in a few weeks .
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
The color is Ford Portafino blue - I believe the code is XC
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post10-09-2007 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

The color is Ford Portafino blue - I believe the code is XC

Cool. If i end up doing that color, ill be able to track it down.

would love to see it in person, might hit up a ford dealer to see if any cars are painted that color.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I like that pastel color. Although EB (electric blue) is also nice. Keep in mind that MINI electric blue is a shade or two lighter than electric blue by most companies. So make sure you order the right paint code.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 10-10-2007).]

PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post
I did some more cleaning today and set up the shelving I bought, found out later Sam's Club had a better price on them plus an additional shelf, live and learn I guess.

Look! A walk way!

Anyone for some coffee cans?

With the way things are flowing, the car should be in the garage next week
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post
Moving Day

A shot of 6 of our Pontiacs:

[This message has been edited by PontiacJ829 (edited 10-17-2007).]

Shad0wguy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shad0wguySend a Private Message to Shad0wguyDirect Link to This Post
Damn, I hate not having a garage!

Good luck with your swap. Keep us updated.
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post
Got the wiring harness out today

Along with the gas tank

& the deck lid off
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post

PontiacJ829

445 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Got the little tub thingy out of the front

Got the carpet taken out too

Little bit of rust to fix.
I found some money too...

I removed the coolant tubes also, what a simple pain in the butt that was.

I have everything removed from the engine compartment area I'm going to remove, next step if disconnecting the brake lines, dropping the cradle and front suspension. Then when I have that stuff down, this is coming over to the house:

My Dad and I built it a few years ago to do a body off restoration on a customer's car that never got finished. It's up at his shop and he isn't doing anything with it. So we figured I could use it.
Here's what the car looked like bolted to it to give you an idea

It's called the 'Clone Carriage' if you can guess why .
Lots more progress to come in the following weeks. Trying to save money so I can get parts coming in.

[This message has been edited by PontiacJ829 (edited 10-20-2007).]

slinger

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
hmmm flathead??
PFF
System Bot
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by slinger:

hmmm flathead??

Yes, Model A Ford, but can you name what the other parts go to?
I should post a picture of the 24' trailer we have full of parts. Then you'll have some fun naming everything.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
are you really going to put that on a rotisserie? I am very excited to see what your going to do with that.

Any progress on the 3800 side of things?
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

are you really going to put that on a rotisserie? I am very excited to see what your going to do with that.

Any progress on the 3800 side of things?

My original plan was to build a cart to just roll the body on, because I didn't think I could bolt to anywhere. Well, I was roller around underneath with the creeper yesterday and found that where the cradle bolts to and where the front suspension attaches are perfect places. I should have one of the nicest looking undersides by the time I'm done . The thing works really good once the car is bolted to it. No progress on anything 3800 related, that takes money, which I do have some saved but not quite enough to go out 'n buy one. I keep looking on eBay & car-part.com almost daily for engines or package deals.

[This message has been edited by PontiacJ829 (edited 10-21-2007).]

PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post

PontiacJ829

445 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Blast a Double Post!

[This message has been edited by PontiacJ829 (edited 10-21-2007).]

DESTOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DESTOSSend a Private Message to DESTOSDirect Link to This Post
Wow, looks like you have the right equipment to get the job done.

I'll be watching this build for sure. Blue is my hands down favorite color on a car, and you picked a brilliant shade.
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
what going on with car

[This message has been edited by BMTFIERO (edited 02-23-2008).]

PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BMTFIERO:

what going on with car

Not much, project is on hold, for a good reason though. I quit my job in November & enrolled in school (college) in December. I got a new job, but hardly enough money to spend on the Fiero. Thanks for the bump though!
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Good color choice! I've always hated light blue paint jobs 'till now... Rims are looking good too.

Any exterior mods planned besides a color change?

Its funny how I'm thinking; Darn, he's gonna be there cleaning for hours! But I just scroll down, and boom! the car is inside, a few more and its already naked. Hehe.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pictures I took at a car show in Shreveport, La a couple of years ago. I wish I had more because I really liked this car. I though you might want to see them.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 02-24-2008).]

PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Here are some pictures I took at a car show in Shreveport, La a couple of years ago. I wish I had more because I really liked this car. I though you might want to see them.

That's a nice looking '40 , I wish my Dad had the time and money to get his cars done.

------------------
1988 GT & 1999 Grand Prix GT

PFF
System Bot
PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Direct Link to This Post

PontiacJ829

445 posts
Member since Apr 2007

Originally posted by HC:

Good color choice! I've always hated light blue paint jobs 'till now... Rims are looking good too.

Any exterior mods planned besides a color change?

Its funny how I'm thinking; Darn, he's gonna be there cleaning for hours! But I just scroll down, and boom! the car is inside, a few more and its already naked. Hehe.

Everybody seems to say that about this blue, lol. I had a really hard time finding wheels I liked with the right size and offset, I just wish they come a little wider for the rear. Yes, a few ideas for the exterior, but nothing too extreme, I like things subtle.
There still isn't enough room , when I do get back to working on it I'll need the whole other bay, if we still live in the same location that is .

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock