New dyno numbers, 415 WHP by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 08-11-2007 11:40 PM
Replies: 82
Last post by: blkpearl on 03-05-2008 10:03 PM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2007 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I finally got back to the dyno with my turbo 3.4l DOHC car. I put down 415 WHP on pump gas. This is the same setup I have been driving for awhile now without any special prep. Boost is ~13.5 psi. Needless to say, I am ecstatic about the numbers. Now I just need that 11s time slip and I can live a peaceful happy life! I will scan the dyno plot and post it up soon.

------------------
62 Buick Special
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo 389 HP @ wheels
88 Toyota Supra Turbo

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2007 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Sig has been updated.

------------------
62 Buick Special
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo 415 HP @ wheels
88 Toyota Supra Turbo

MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
You have a build thread or anything for that thing?

------------------

SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
yeah... what is done to the engine? what trans? turbo? etc...?
I was going to turbo my DOHC but didnt want to worry about the isuzu trans grenadeing. Actualy had everything i needed to turbo the engine but got scared by a few members here and on RFT so i just sold it all and bought and RX7 and did a V8 swap...
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
im so jealous.
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
Awesome numbers!! Can you post a video of the car running? I would like to hear how it sounds with the turbo as I am putting together my turbo and can't wait to hear it.
Leafy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
Matt, that's awesome!

You have a PM!

[This message has been edited by Leafy (edited 08-12-2007).]

FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Nice ! now you need to get us some vid of that sucker at the track. What RPM are your numbers @ ?

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

Derek2M6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek2M6Send a Private Message to Derek2M6Direct Link to This Post
I'm very interested in what you had done to the engine. I plan on building my 3.4 DOHC as a turbo as well.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
You're making double the hp of most V8 swaps here.... ehhehehehehe.....

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 08-12-2007).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
VIDEO!!!! Please???

------------------
"Raced That, Wrecked Better" ~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000
US Armored Cavalry - Fox 2/81 - Death By 120 - 1 Shot 1 Kill

3800 SuperCharged Series II Swap, Rare BTTK Intercooler, Thrasher MPS, Fastback Swap

PFF
System Bot
vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroDirect Link to This Post
very impressive !
we need pics !

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B S4 turbo with a Super T61 in the box
S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Yes and it's embarassing. Im starting to believe the whole "installed it for that V8 sound" argument.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

swisscheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

im so jealous.

x2

Damn, over here we are standing with one foot in the prison when we just change some minor things, say swap the 2.8 for a 3.4

Congrats on those numbers!!!!
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations! Very impressive numbers. Please fill us in on the details!

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 08-12-2007).]

NYRED85GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTDirect Link to This Post
Matt- do you have a build thread or can you post the list of modifications you have done to produce those incredible # 's. I just picked up a DOHC yesterday and will be turbo-ing it next year. But I think 350WHP is more than enough for me!

Mike
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
These are great numbers but, remember, this install is the EXCEPTION and not the rule, and highly modified (turbo) at that.

If you guys like the V6's/4's great for you, have at it. I like them all. I also don't have to start crap every time someone posts good numbers.

John Stricker

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

Yes and it's embarassing. Im starting to believe the whole "installed it for that V8 sound" argument.

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Some have asked and this is the quick run down of what the car has done to it.

3.4l DOHC V6 from 1995 Monte Carlo
Ported/polished combustion chambers; good bolts in bottom end; hypereutectic pistons; custom intake manifold; 38 lb/hr injectors; Haltech E6K ECU; custom tubular stainless headers and crossover; GT3071r turbo; Tial 38mm wastegate; Fidenza Al flywheel; Clutchnet six puck sprung hub clutch with stock pressure plate; large Ebay intercooler core with custom end tanks/draw fans mounted under car; I spin the engine to 7k with a 7200 rev limiter.

12.5" front discs from 2000 F-car; 4-piston fixed calipers; 11.25" rear disc with 2000 F-car rear calipers; front and rear lowered ~3/4"; 17x7 front rims with 235/40; 17x8 rear rims with 255/40

I will try to post up some videos. I didn't have my camera at the dyno, but I have a couple videos from the track.

------------------
62 Buick Special
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo 415 HP @ wheels
88 Toyota Supra Turbo

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that is awesome. I hope it holds up for you. Amazing what can happen when you get everything propperly sized for a motor. This turbo is much nicer than the setup I remember you having.

Good job man, look forward to the dyno graph.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:
These are great numbers but, remember, this install is the EXCEPTION and not the rule, and highly modified (turbo) at that.

If you guys like the V6's/4's great for you, have at it. I like them all.

I like (love?) anything with over 300whp! And I would say this is almost a rule... Out of the top 10 cars on the 1/4 mile fiero list that are not using nitrous, 9 of them are V6's.

I drive a V8, but Matt put down 160whp more than I did. That's like an extra engine crammed under the front compartment. Stock 2.8 puts down what, 130whp? That's crazy!
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Stock 2.8 puts down what, 130whp? That's crazy!

More like 110 - 115 RWHP.
PFF
System Bot
slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
dang matt your way over by detroit, im going to be puting my 3.4 dohc in some time soon, woulda loved to see yours in person, how was the swap over all? hard? what kinda mounts did you use.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slinger:

dang matt your way over by detroit, im going to be puting my 3.4 dohc in some time soon, woulda loved to see yours in person, how was the swap over all? hard? what kinda mounts did you use.

The only stock mount I used was the one under the crank pulley. I made new mounts for the trans and have extra heim joint mounts on both sides of the engine over on the accessory side. I made a dog bone mount that it attached to the transmission bolt and mounts to a reinforce point on the trunk side. Since I was making these, I tilted the engine towards the back sligthly so I can get the spark plug wires out with the decklid on the car.

[This message has been edited by Matt Hawkins (edited 08-13-2007).]

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I am amazed the 60 degree V6 crank holds up to that. I always assumed that 300hp was the limit.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Good tuning saves a lot of parts. The only engine related failure I have had was a head gasket. It was leaking the slightest amount of combustion gas into the cooling system. I drove it for several thousand miles like that and pulled it out during the winter to replace. I have had the turbo on the engine for 5 years now. I average about 12k miles a year on the car.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
That is great! I have seen this car (long time ago) and I think it is a true sleeper. Would love to see it at the track again. Now what you need to tell people here is how much time have you spent tuning it to get there. Many think thay can slap some parts and get 400rwhp with a V6 or even a V8. Not true. Anyone show me how many proven 400rwhp cars we have here?? I can remember probably four.

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post

Is that necessary?

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E and the spray.
http://hometown.aol.com/ptfiero/index.html
build
http://dtcc.cz28.com/Customer/LT1Fiero/index.htm

Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
Matt, got any videos or at least sound of that beast??
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I haven't tuned the car much in over a year. The past two years have been about the same. But, it has come a long way. I dyno'd at 282 WHP four years ago. That was with my old T3/T4 hybrid turbo. I have since changed the turbo to a GT3071r and have adjusted the cam timing. Even though the 3.4l DOHC could rev to 7k from the factory, the power peak was at 5200 RPM. I adjusted my cam timing to move the power peak up to ~6700 RPM. That gives me a little less torque, but more useable HP range. I am making over 300 WHP from 4300 to 7200 RPM. It is very linear and feels like a NA engine.

I would say that I had two full years of tuning to get driveability and everything sorted. Tuning for power is the easy part. Making it work in all conditions takes much more time. I went slow being conservative because parts aren't cheap. And neither is my time. I have countless hours invested and don't want to waste them because I was in a hurry. The reason most people blow up turbo engines is greed. They aren't happy with the power and think that turning up the boost is the answer. I made 282 WHP at 13.5 psi and 415 WHP with the same 13.5 psi. Tuning makes all the difference in the world. I use only pump gas too and have driven it all over the country.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post

Matt Hawkins

586 posts
Member since Oct 2000

Originally posted by Mr. Pat:

Is that necessary?

Agreed. I think all modified Fieros are cool. I have even done a TPI V8 swap before. Heck, I have wanted to do a Northstar swap with a turbo. The V8 vs V6 vs whatever will always rage on, but it should be done in good spirit. And watch out for those V8s, they have quite a bit of potential.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post

Matt Hawkins

586 posts
Member since Oct 2000
Here are a couple videos.

Autocrossing:
http://home.comcast.net/~mh...o_autocross_Lap4.MOV

Drag racing. This was with the old turbo. 12.9 @ 109
http://home.comcast.net/~mhawkins113/IMAG0017.ASF

Let me know if these work.
PFF
System Bot
Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
Video's work like a charm... she really gets up and goes haha!

Matt, could you go into more detail about the tuning, as per how the E6K is setup for you as well as other necessaries such as Injectors, fuel pump, AFPR etc.

Thanks man!
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Pat:
Is that necessary?

Unwritten PFF Rule #112. You cannot make fun of yourself.

I got it! Won't happen again!

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:
And watch out for those V8s, they have quite a bit of potential.

You'd better believe it! I could be at those numbers with just 7psi.... Hmm, should I?
LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Direct Link to This Post
WOW, congrats on the amazing numbers!
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
Great job Matt. I would love to go for a ride sometime. I wish I had 1/10 of your knowledge and skills in building and tuning a motor.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post

You'd better believe it! I could be at those numbers with just 7psi.... Hmm, should I?

you can do it NA with the right V8.

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E and the spray.
http://hometown.aol.com/ptfiero/index.html
build
http://dtcc.cz28.com/Customer/LT1Fiero/index.htm

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
remind me not to pull up next to you.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
If a turbo and blower count, why not nitrous?

They're all doing the same thing, compensating for limited volumetric naturally aspirated capability (in one way or the other).

John Stricker

Oh, BTW, I'm rapidly getting to the point that 1/4 mile times mean nothing to me. They represent and UNBALANCED CAR. If you want to build one, or anyone else does, and enjoys the sport, cool. Have at it. More power to you. I prefer something more complete.

I like (love?) anything with over 300whp! And I would say this is almost a rule... Out of the top 10 cars on the 1/4 mile fiero list that are not using nitrous, 9 of them are V6's.

I drive a V8, but Matt put down 160whp more than I did. That's like an extra engine crammed under the front compartment. Stock 2.8 puts down what, 130whp? That's crazy!

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

If a turbo and blower count, why not nitrous?

That's a topic for another debate, but basically because $500 and a couple hours of labor later, I could have a 500whp fiero. I (personally) feel it is a cop out. Knowing that Matt put hundreds of man hours and thousands of dollars into his turbo 3.4 makes it that much more impressive than a $500 1 hour nitrous install.

That said, if you want a cheap performer, a 4.9L with a 200 shot of nitrous would get you there.

Oh, BTW, I'm rapidly getting to the point that 1/4 mile times mean nothing to me. They represent and UNBALANCED CAR. If you want to build one, or anyone else does, and enjoys the sport, cool. Have at it. More power to you. I prefer something more complete.

I agree that it can be an unbalanced car. A lot of fast cars on the 1/4 mile track can't even be driven on the street. However, the McLaren F1 does a 0-60 in 3 seconds, the 1/4 in 11... and I think we can all agree it is made for performance handling, not the 1/4 mile strip.

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 08-13-2007).]

fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2007 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
I have a different reason... with turbo or SC the added power is always there. You could hold the hammer down for a solid half hour and not run out of power. With nitrous you are just limited to how much juice you have in that 10LB bottle. You run out of juice you have to try and find someone to fill it back up for you. In the mean time if you have boost you just need to step on it again.

oh I know you can run out of gas, but I bet I can get gas before you can fill up that bottle. Especially if its midnight.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock