Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  snatched up a winner and a loser (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
snatched up a winner and a loser by Kohburn
Started on: 08-15-2004 11:00 AM
Replies: 148
Last post by: Kohburn on 04-17-2008 07:35 AM
Kohburn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
I only brought the winner back with me so far - turns out its an 84 SE (didn't realize there were SE's in 84 but this one has SE glass sails) M19 = 4.10 and MY9 = econo right? i was hoping for the econo trans but oh well - both cars are 4speed stick - it has the tweed seats tweed is in perfect condition but the side bolster have the usual tears.. if i decide to keep them i'll probably get them reapholstered on the bolsters...
the other is an 86 SE black but its all beat up - gonna be a parts car for doing an aero conversion on the 84 (which is looking to recieve a 3800SC in the future) both cars for a total of 200$ (and towing costs)
I drove from maryland down to north carolina towards the hurricane yesterday 360 miles in 5 hours (not includign the 30 minute delay when the hitch ball came off causing the tow dolly to bounce all over the highway till i could lash iut together and get a new ball and nut from walmart (which just HAPPENED to be at the next exit up ) had to pull the fiero out of the undergrowth bere it had briers growing up through the engine bay and load it and another 5 hours back home (another 360 miles) but little did i realize but the truck i borrowed to tow with had bald front tires.. braking became an issue towards the end of the trip as i got off the major highways and slid through the first stoplight - i was much more careful after that but turning onto on of the last roads on the way home i started to slid int he turn lane.. pumped the brakes and still couldn't slow enough so i let off the brakes so i could stear around the turn and watched in the mirror as the fiero on the dolly drifted around the turn and straightened out behind me.. gotta love the fieros traction

so back all safe and sound and learned that my subaru tows much better than a dodge dakota.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
did i mention is has a 3 spoke GT style stearing wheel but its not leather.. ?? seems odd to me

OH and recently people were talking about the extra vent peices on the 84 that they were all missing..
well here it is

and of course the old option code list

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
My very first Fiero was a white '84 SE very similar to your red one there
It also had the 3 spoke plastic not leather steering wheel. That was pretty common for those models.
Nice grab

Steve

fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Direct Link to This Post
Nice find and congrads. Isnt it weird where alot of people find Fieros., and what condition they are in.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero5:

It also had the 3 spoke plastic not leather steering wheel. That was pretty common for those models.
Nice grab

Steve

even in old beat up plastic the 3 spoke is so much better than the 86 4 spoke stearing wheels - the horn tabs are dangerous

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Cool, kinda like mine I want that extra vent piece! BUT if it has that, and I don't see the dipstick on the driver's side, it probably hasn't had the recall work done? Looks like you got alot more paperwork with it! AWE and flormats too! And is that the good stereo?!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/042300.html

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
you want the vent peice? i plan to get rid of the 84 decklid .. not a fan of the center vent
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Hmm if you can get it off the decklid intact, how much?
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
no idea - we'll see when i get to that point.. about this time next month i'll have the other one up here also.. so i can start parting it out as i put together one fiero out of the two
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Kohburn

7349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
just noticed that I have an 84 with WS6 suspension...
anyone know how much this involves? is it just stiffer springs on the 84? how do they compare to the v6?
roys88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroDirect Link to This Post
WS6 suspension cars came with stiffer and much more better shocks and struts and as for the stiffer sprigs....im not quite sure on that one, if anyone can correct me, please do so but i am sure about the shocks and struts......BTW thats a nice car you got there, very very good condition especially since its an 84 i say its defenetly a keeper...
-Roy

------------------
I own an original yellow 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, (wingless, currently purple) ....This is.....Driving Exitement!

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988

PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

no idea - we'll see when i get to that point.. about this time next month i'll have the other one up here also.. so i can start parting it out as i put together one fiero out of the two

OK, keep me informed

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero5:

Nice grab

Steve

my very first fiero was a red econo 84 with the 13" wheels and that wonderfully long 4th gear.. was faster than my friends 85se

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
1984 Pontiac Fiero SE, car # 22,462

AAA - Additional Standard equipment
A03 - (sunroof I think?)
AR9 - Seats, reclining bucket (European Style)
AU3 - Locks, side doors, electric operated
A01 - Windows, deep tinited glass (all)
A31 - Windows, electric operated
A90 - Lock, rear compartment lid, electric operated
B20 - Ornamentation, interior (Luxury)
B34 - Mats, Carpeted floor
B48 - Luggage Compartment trim
B57 - Ornamentation, exterior trim (Deluxe)
CD4 - Windshield Wipers, controlled cycle
C60 - Air conditioning, manual controls
DB4 - Manual mirrors
D34 - Mirror, visual vanity (RH)
D4T - Gear, speedo driven (??)
D90 - Stripe, front end and body side (painted)
E5Z - Speedo gears less adaptor
FW5 - Axle, front 4:10 ratio
K22 - Generator, 94 Ampere
K34 - Cruise Control, resume speed
LR8 - Engine, 2.5L inline 4-cyl. EFI
MM4 - transmission, manual, 4 speed provisions
M19 - Transmission, Manual 4-speed
NA5 - Emission system, federal requirements
NB1 - Emission Control, closed loop
NK3 - Steering wheel, 3 spoke vinyl
N33 - Steering Column, tilt
N78 - Wheels, High Tech Turbo aluminum, 14" x 6"
PB4 - Wheel Locking package
PON - Pontiac Assembly Plant
QPU - Tires: P215 / 60 R14 BSW STL
TR9 - Lamp group
UU7 - ETR AM/FM stereo w/clock, cass (no equalizer)
UW5 - Radio, provisions for stereo installation, non ETR
U25 - Lamp, rear luggage compartment
U29 - Lamp, insturnment panel courtesy
VK3 - License plate bracket, front
V58 - Luggage carrier, deck lid (84-86)
V73 - Bumper component (vehicle certification U.S.)
WS6 - Special Performance Package
W69 - Special Edition Option Package
YT9 - Fisher Furnished Parts
13C - Placid / Pallex cloth, light slate gray
13I - Int. Color Lt. Slate Gray
139 - Seat belt module Lt. Slate Gray
6MN - spring, left front
7MN - spring, right front
71L - paint red (lower accent)
7IU - Paint red primary ext.
8WY - spring, left rear
9WY - spring, right rear

So this sucker is almost fully loaded

Whoa, my car doesn't have the V58 (luggage rack) code, but it has one now? Wow, I always thought it came with one! So mine came with everything but sunroof, luggage rack, AND power windows.

If you still have and want to sell the floor mats, front license plate holder, and an uncracked right side visor mirror, I'd be interested in them also!

I'll see if I can find what all the WS6 included on the 84 Fiero.

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 08-16-2004).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
hmm so now i wonder what the spring values are for
6MN, 7MN and 8WY, 9WY
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
From the Fiero Press Release Guide pg. 73 on the 84 Fiero:

QUESTION: Do we have a handling package available?

TEAM: Yes, the WS6 handling package is available on all Fieros. In normal driving, you can hardly tell the difference between the base and the WS6 handling because they both ride like cars should. You know the difference when you start pushing the car to the limit and the Fiero with WS6 does better than the one without it. When you make a basic maneuver, you know the WS6 is a little better.
There is not much difference as far as the ride is concerned but they are different at the limit handling. When you "push" a car, there is more side loading on it.

Q: What is the difference in the components of the two suspensions?

T: Basically, the difference is in the balance of the springs. There is a spring rate difference and there is a tire size difference. On WS6 handling, a 14-inch wheel is mandatory and is part of the package. It's a bigger tire with more lateral road capacity and a stiffer load.

-------------------

I found them on TheOgre's Cave, why I didn't check there sooner...

http://home.sprynet.com/~theogre/tunnel6/index.htm

Under Options & Project on the left, click RPO list and it lists them all.

If you look at the table for the 84's it goes from _WY being the stiffest, so they are stiffest springs, being 8WY and 9WY. _MN is also the stiffest spring. So the WS6 cars in 84 just came with the stiffest springs and the 14" wheels and tires.

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 08-16-2004).]

befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Cool, kinda like mine I want that extra vent piece! BUT if it has that, and I don't see the dipstick on the driver's side, it probably hasn't had the recall work done? Looks like you got alot more paperwork with it! AWE and flormats too! And is that the good stereo?!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/042300.html

My Fiero has that extra vent piece, much cleaner look, you cannot see the engine unless you look from the front. Whoever did the recall, forgot to remove that deflector thing in my Fiero, the recall involved removing a few things, including that. What I hate is that it deflects all of the water onto the exhaust manifold, like when you go to a car wash, or open the decklid when wet. That deflector is loose under there, the center vent keeps it where it is.

Copy and paste into a new window, clicking brings up an Angelfire logo:
http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/befarrer/images/Fiero/103_0377.JPG

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
welp a small update on the progress..
the sunroof has been siliconed closed (my only guess as to why people do this is they are just to dumb to actually fix it since the fix would take less time than using a caulk gun)
had to use a knife and a rag and some elbow grease but i got the sunroof out rubbed all the caulk off of it, removed all the caulk from the seal and from between the seal and the roof panel... turns out the seal is in perfect shape.. only problem is the latch needs adjusting and the front tabs need to be bent tight.. but the previous owners caulk job actually leaked and trapped water under the glass causing some rust inside the sealed area..

anyways - so i removed all the tabs and the tab reciever plates plopped em into the vibratory polisher and let er rib.. took them out and took a brass wire wheel to em and then painted em.. they look good but i probably will have to strip the paint and use either powder coat or line-X coating on them for durability at some point in the future.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Huh I was wondering why it was all white around the sunroof in that one picture. Some people...

Hey your car was produced shortly before mine, does yours still have the sticker on the inside of the driver's door jamb? It has a date on it that tells you about when it was built, is it still there? I've been trying to figure out when mine was made, but the sticker on mine is so badly faded I can't read it

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

OH and recently people were talking about the extra vent peices on the 84 that they were all missing..
well here it is

I want one of those badly...who has one and wants to sell it???

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I want one of those badly...who has one and wants to sell it???

i'm willing to sell - should i start a sale thread in the mall?

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Huh I was wondering why it was all white around the sunroof in that one picture. Some people...

Hey your car was produced shortly before mine, does yours still have the sticker on the inside of the driver's door jamb? It has a date on it that tells you about when it was built, is it still there? I've been trying to figure out when mine was made, but the sticker on mine is so badly faded I can't read it

didn't notice i'll check - mine does have a little thing on the rocker when you open the door that says fisher body

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
GUESS WHAT I just found at the parts yard?!?! The vent thingie! I was so exited I yelled "All right!!" Got it and a seatbelt mechanism cover for $10! They didn't know what it was of course

I don't need yours anymore, so if Jscott is next in line... (Could still use the other parts I listed though)

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 08-17-2004).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15015 posts
Member since May 2002

didn't notice i'll check - mine does have a little thing on the rocker when you open the door that says fisher body

This is where they're located- see the two white rectangular stickers on the end of the door? It'd be cool to see when it was made

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
date : 12/83

hey - its been a while since i had a sunroofed fiero so maybe you can help me.. does the glass sit down flush with the fiberglass? or does it sit a little above?

began the water testing procedure

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 08-17-2004).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Mine doesn't have a sunroof, but there was one at the parts yard today that does (and it works beutifully too!) I'll go check it tomorrow. How involved is it to get the latch off? I might want to save it and the glass.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2004 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
you need a #2 phillips screwdriver and a 10mm socket to get the whole latch assembly off - its actually not that difficult to remove the whole sunroof subframe from a donor car and swap it onto yours.. the hardest part is pulling the fiberglass roof panel off without breaking the a-pillars
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2004 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Kohburn

7349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
welp did a wet down test and the thing leaks like i was just hosing down the interior...
so the suicide lambo doors will have to wait till after i do the targa top...

amazingly enough the frame apeares to be rust free except some on the battery tray, a little surface rust on the jack bracket and the only serious rust is the sunroof suround.. must have been leaking and holding water against the frame for quite a long time.. its going to have to be cut out.. so custom targa top here i come

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2004 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
That's too bad Can't weld a new one in (maybe cut a good one off the parts car?) Good news about the rust on the rest of the car though!
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seDirect Link to This Post
Kohburn, where is Lusby MD? We should get together sometime!

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
its about an hour south of DC - I have some fiero buds in silverspring,md and in sterling,va ... soulcrusher and lildvl are in waldorf (about 45 min north of me)
i believe there is a large GM track day at MIR (buds creek) soon -- would be a good time to have a little fiero gathering --- or there is gettysburg in a few weeks

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 08-19-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
Kohburn, the GM day at MIR was two weeks ago. Did you go? Lildevil was there racing, I had to be pit crew cause car is still not ready. We will be going to the Import race there on Sept. 11th. Keep us posted on your progress and if you need any help.

------------------

USED to be NOS3800
1988 Purple Fiero GTw/SC3800 conversion
Best ET with 3.0 pulley and 1.9 rockers: 12.74@105mph
Best 60 Foot: 1.735

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
damn i missed it? fark
oh well, i've been so busy lately between getting central air (heatpump) in before winter, driving to NC to buy my first fiero in 2 years, 2 month anniversary with the wife, vacation next week... sept 11 you say? I was kinda planning to go to gettysburg for the MAFOA meet i'd love to see lildevil run but but i'm hoping to get a ride in a few modded fieros with different swaps.. still deciding between 3800sc and northstar.. leaning towards a stock northstar, i love rev happy engines..

I'll deffinately have to meet up with you guys sometime tho - moved down here from Laurel, lived in Harford county before that - need to make some friends down here.

-J

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Kohburn

7349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
OH on a side note i pulled the seats out today - gonna be gone for a week and i don't want them getting anymore water incase the tarp doesn't stop it all..

anyone interested in swapping tan seatcovers for the "rare" 84 twead seats in two tone grey? I'm planning a black and tan interior..

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Hey if you swap the top off the passenger seat with the bottom of the driver's seat, you'll have one very nice seat, and one total piece of crap I wish they continued that pattern on more years, they're my favorite

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 08-19-2004).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
the fabric on the bolsters is the same as the other fiero seats - if nobody wants to trade i may go hunting for fabric to replace with (or other fiero seats to scavenge from) and either sell em or dye em

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 08-19-2004).]

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
If you are ever up near this way let us know and we will help change your mind to a SC3800.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
I may take you up on that -- i just fear the reliability of a modded 3800sc

if i go northstar all i have to do to hit 300whp is drop in cams and still run on low octane gas (atleast i think the northstar runs on 87)

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Anything new yet?
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
was on vacation last week - just getting back to it now - good thing i puleld the seats befroe i left or they would have gotten wet again while i was gone - they have been airing out inside my house all week..
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock