Started on: 09-11-2007 09:05 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: fierosound on 09-15-2007 10:08 AM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
This sap appears to have been on the car for several years. I don't know what kind it is, but it has hardened and become part of the paint. The car looks fine from 20 feet away and in pictures, but looks really bad when close up.

I tried all of these to get it off the windshield:

Hot water/car wash solution
Bug & Tar remover
Orange cleaner
Rubbing Alcohol
WD40
Acetone
Mineral Spirits
Gasoline
and more...

It just smeared all over the place.

Finally managed to get it off the windshield with a power buffer, heavy duty rubbing compound and lots of work. I now have to do the entire body! I tried all the above products as well as the buffer and compound on the hood - no go!

There must be an easier way to get it off - short of SANDING it off along with the paint. Any suggestions??

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-15-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried a clay bar? It worked well on one of my older cars that had a lot of pine sap.
Anyhow, I would try this:

http://www.meguiars.com/est...Clay§ionID=11201

It does works well on tar, paint overspray, and other contaminants.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 09-11-2007).]

WisconsinGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTDirect Link to This Post
Use goo gone and then polish and wax the area again.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Have you tried a clay bar? It worked well on one of my older cars that had a lot of pine sap.
Anyhow, I would try this:

http://www.meguiars.com/est...Clay§ionID=11201

It does works well on tar, paint overspray, and other contaminants.

That's what Tom P "The Prezz" told me he used on one of his cars a number of years back... and the whole thing had been parked under a tree!
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
goof-off worked for me...also as a side note, you can also get plastic 'razor' blades from Lee Valley to help with the removal.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-11-2007).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WisconsinGT:

Use goo gone and then polish and wax the area again.

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

goof-off worked for me...

I hope these things come in gallon cans...

mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
we have a lot of pine trees in our yard and we use the stuff the painters use to prep cars thats used for removing all the grease and stuff of off the paint before it would get painted. I guess your supposed to wax the car right after you do this if you use it to get sap off.
slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
prep sol?
Kaleb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalebSend a Private Message to KalebDirect Link to This Post
well if it hasnt been wetsanded yet you could wetsand it...makes the car look athousand times better..of course then you do risk damaging the paint so nevermind
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Liquid Soft-Scrub gel if it is still available. Do not use regular Soft-Scrub as its way too abrasive, use only the liquid gel as it doesn't scratch. Comes in a green bottle and has bleach. Apply it straight with a wax applicator pad and then lightly use a clay bar.

Edit,,,, This is the stuff here,
http://www.softscrub.com/index.cfm?page_id=255

I discovered this out of shear frustration, nothing worked as well with much less effort to remove years of weather, acid rain, tree sap from my Fieros. My cars sit under the trees in the appartment lot, have no other choice. Each spring the paint surface is like a braile encyclopedia from sap and the like. Liquid Soft-Scrub gel works fast, an entire car can vbe done in less than an hour and you're ready for polish and wax. I did my old 87GT three times before my brother wheeled it out with Meguires light cut cleaner, paint popped real nice. Go lightly with the clay bar, lubricate it with Soft-Scrub on the hardened sap, warm water keeps the clay bar pliable. Good luck with the project.

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 09-12-2007).]

boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattDirect Link to This Post
I use simple green on all my cars, in the concentrated form it dissolves the sap. I have used it on dozens of cars and works great. Spray on, let sit for a minute or 2, and wipe off, if there is still some, repeat the process, and then wash the car good afterwards. For glass I spray it down and use a new razor blade to clean it.

Mike

------------------
Blue 1987 GT, Black 1987 GT, Yellow T-top 1986 GT
www.FierosandMore.com This is a link to my personal web site, has pictures of all my projects and parts for sale.

PFF
System Bot
FieroGTRwideboby

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTRwidebobyClick Here to visit FieroGTRwideboby's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTRwidebobyDirect Link to This Post
ICE Get a cube of ice and hold it on the sap for some time the sap will freeze and become brittle, this will help you chip it off or scrape it off with a blade...
Learned that at my old job, detailing fords at a dealership.

-Alex
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTRwideboby:

ICE Get a cube of ice and hold it on the sap for some time the sap will freeze and become brittle, this will help you chip it off or scrape it off with a blade...

-Alex

Or just wait a few months when winter's cold breath blows thru.
Kaleb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KalebSend a Private Message to KalebDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTRwideboby:

-Alex

wow...would have never thought of that
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the many suggestions. You can't feel the sap on the surface, so I need something that will dissolve it rather than trying to chip it off. It almost looks like the clearcoat has holes in it - will sap etch holes in the clearcoat? The ENTIRE car is covered with this, so it'll be the weekend before I try cleaning this up again.
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
It almost looks like the clearcoat has holes in it - will sap etch holes in the clearcoat?

Some sap from certain trees are more acidic. If left on for a long period of time it can etch into the clear coat just like bug splatter and bird do-do. (Keeping it family orientated )
If that is the case, You would need to wet sand the clearcoat and re-paint it.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 09-12-2007).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Some sap from certain trees are more acidic. If left on for a long period of time it can etch into the clear coat just like bug splatter and bird do-do. (Keeping it family orientated )
If that is the case, You would need to wet sand the clearcoat and re-paint it.

You just love handing out BAD NEWS don't ya?? I guess I'll find out this weekend whether I NEED a new paint job or not Wouldn't suprise me if I did...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock