Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  4speed 3800SC with 3.4 pulley runs 12.6 (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
4speed 3800SC with 3.4 pulley runs 12.6 by darkhorizon
Started on: 05-19-2007 06:32 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: MstangsBware on 07-22-2007 02:44 PM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2007 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
At milan dragway in MI. video of

http://video.google.com/vid...=1660331263937117339

time slip

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RideZiLightning

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2007 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I can't see the video on my ppc. Auto or muncie? Just the 3.4, exhaust and intake?
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2007 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Yeah baby! I could hear those tires chirp all the way to Royal Oak. That 1/4 et time is a stout achievement, way to go.
rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2007 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
How well is the 4speed holding up to hard launches? Any burnouts?

Good run!
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2007 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
no burnouts, very well warn all season tires. 1.74 60 foot.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2007 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
You've got to have more than that done to it, you've got a full second on me. Though I have the 65HD tranny, is that the big diffrence or is the pulley just that damn good? Ive got a 3.4 Modular rolling around in my trunk Ive never put on, I might have to slap that sucker on there and see what happens. So what other real mods?
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2007 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

86GT3.4DOHC

10007 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Just watched the movie, thats the best thing about Fieros, they'll eat about anything off the line, I love the way you always shoot away from everyone right from the start. Sounds EXACTLY like my car off the line, just a little sqeak sqeak and BUHBYE! Though I dont get the chirp into second, it feels like its close.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2007 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

You've got to have more than that done to it, you've got a full second on me. Though I have the 65HD tranny, is that the big diffrence or is the pulley just that damn good? Ive got a 3.4 Modular rolling around in my trunk Ive never put on, I might have to slap that sucker on there and see what happens. So what other real mods?

well, the 65hd will rob power from to the wheels.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2007 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Very nice run and time. You eat that truck for lunch.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2007 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

none, just a smartly done 3inch exhaust with a "race" inspired muffler, and a autozone/homedepot 3inch intake. The manifolds are "cleaned up" but that might give 2 crank HP in some peak situations.

We really have no clue how this ran what it did, the motor is a piece of junk with 130k miles on it. We do know that the tuning is right on, at least to the point where its not holding anything back. There is still stock timing and stock fueling on it though, so its more or less just a "bench tune" other than a real live tune which it should be. Maybe we are just really good at doing swaps? I still want to get my auto to the track, so dont be too upset untill you see what the same motor with a auto on it does.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2007 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I might have to get a copy of that ECM from you....
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2007 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I doubt its the ECM. From the looks of it, he just got it 'right' on that run. If you watch the other vids the car runs from 13, 12.7, then the 12.6. The 12.6 run he leaves a LOT harder than the other runs, actually gets a bark from the tires in 2nd, and is driving the hell out of the car compared to the other runs. It looks like it might be a converted fast back? Was the car in full interior? I think the gearing of the 4spd helps along with the less weight and drivetrain loss, like Dark said. After thinkin about this for a bit, they just happened to get everything right on that run and were able to squeeze out everything that was in that car.

Lets see some pics of the car. Complete interior/trunk/etc??
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
complete everything, the trunk was modded a bit for a full exhaust, but still nice.

The car had 3 12.7 runs, and 3 13.x runs (1 was a time he tried to use the waterbox and the other was when it started raining hard enough to make him just baby it half track and still ran a 13.1, and the first run was just a test run that resulted in 13.2)

It really wasnt a fluke, the 12.6 was even a low 12.6. The car has full interior and it even had tools and stuff up front. The half warn allseason tires were inflated to a full 35psi. If you have any idea how this happend please let us know, because we did absolutly no tricks with this car, we are in just as much disbelif as anyone.

I just wanted to add that it is a real 86gt, matching vin and everything, he just has the sail panels off preping it for paint. The only possible weight reduction would be the AC dryer in the front compartment to make room for a sub box he had up there that isnt there right now.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 05-21-2007).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2007 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Nice run and looks like the car was hooking well even out of the hole. If that motor is stock besides the 3.4 pulley and exhaust then they guy really has something. Not forsure how long that 4 speed will hold up to those 12 second runs but beat on it until it gives in. Have a video showing the time board at the end of the run to show the time matching the time slip posted? Not doudting you but for anyone else questioning the run. I think the 4 speed makes alot of the diffearance at the track when in comes to the manuel installs.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2007 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
my camera doesnt zoom while recording sorry, your not the only one to bring that to my attention...

In a few of my videos you could possibly make the 12.7 times out, but honestly your just going to have to trust me.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2007 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I doubt its the ECM. From the looks of it, he just got it 'right' on that run. If you watch the other vids the car runs from 13, 12.7, then the 12.6. The 12.6 run he leaves a LOT harder than the other runs, actually gets a bark from the tires in 2nd, and is driving the hell out of the car compared to the other runs.

What other video? I'm not seeing them...

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2007 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Excellent 1/4 time but I would exercise caution with that 3.4" pulley. Lots of guys on the GTP forum have fried their engine using one. Understand that Autolite 104's a cold air intake and a very good exhaust are the bare minimum mods for safely running a 3.4" diam. supercharger pulley or perhaps you have the short stack intercooler or alky/H2O injection? It is claimed that the 3.4" pulley will give you 25 more horsepower and your ET's probably confirm this..

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2007 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Excellent 1/4 time but I would exercise caution with that 3.4" pulley. Lots of guys on the GTP forum have fried their engine using one. Understand that Autolite 104's a cold air intake and a very good exhaust are the bare minimum mods for safely running a 3.4" diam. supercharger pulley or perhaps you have the short stack intercooler or alky/H2O injection? It is claimed that the 3.4" pulley will give you 25 more horsepower and your ET's probably confirm this..

Dennis PLEASE stop posting about subjects you really have no clue about. I know you are working on a 380SC swap into a Fiero and have done alot of reading but from the things you post, you still have alot of reading to do. Running a 3.4 pulley on the L-67 in a Fiero with only intake, exhuast and a tune is very common and safe. Running this same setup in the GTP is a whole differant story being its like comparing apples to oranges.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
^ Agreed.

Dark, the full GT + interior is just even more impressive. Great work you guys!!
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Sounds EXACTLY like my car off the line

OK....I'm a little confused or maybe I'm just a little slow (I've been accused of both), but your handle is "86GT3.4DOHC"......doesn't that mean you have a 3.4 DOHC V-6? darkhorizon is talking about his 3800SC with a 3.4" pulley.......I'm guessing it's the 3800SC part that is why he is a full second faster than your car (assuming both are stock). Unless I am completely wrong and you also have a 3800SC......but then why the mismatched handle? See......back to that confusion thing again!
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Excellent runs.
Never seen anyone use the 4-spd manual with a 3800SC, But it sounds like it works well.
Congrats!

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I believe it.

Power-shifting FTW!
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

OK....I'm a little confused or maybe I'm just a little slow (I've been accused of both), but your handle is "86GT3.4DOHC"......doesn't that mean you have a 3.4 DOHC V-6? darkhorizon is talking about his 3800SC with a 3.4" pulley.......I'm guessing it's the 3800SC part that is why he is a full second faster than your car (assuming both are stock). Unless I am completely wrong and you also have a 3800SC......but then why the mismatched handle? See......back to that confusion thing again!

I've got a turbo 3.4 DOHC and a 3.8SC. The turbo is a good bit quicker than that, when its running, but my 3.8SC only pulls 13.6s. Its probably a cumulative of ECM tranny and 3.4. I'll have to swap my pulley before this track season, and maybe get a copy of his ECM, I know when I had my ECM flashed it knocked off about .2 seconds.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

I've got a turbo 3.4 DOHC and a 3.8SC. The turbo is a good bit quicker than that, when its running, but my 3.8SC only pulls 13.6s. Its probably a cumulative of ECM tranny and 3.4. I'll have to swap my pulley before this track season, and maybe get a copy of his ECM, I know when I had my ECM flashed it knocked off about .2 seconds.

OK.....now I'm un-confused! Thanks for clarifying.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
The ecm on that car is BONE STOCK compared to the one on my auto, Adam (not to mention I have stock fan turnons :). The 4speed pcm had 2% fuel added to the maf in the upper end to help trick a bit more fuel in needed for the 3.4 pulley. The first file we loaded on there was just left there because we didnt find anything blatently wrong with it. I imagine that with a real "tune" the car would be slighly faster, or at least get better gas mileage. My pcm has a stock maf (I think my exhaust is better than his) but I have a fancy timing table due to the fact I cant seem to find a limit to where this thing will start knocking.

Tuning fieros with 3800's is a totally different world compared to the wbody cars for some reason. We asume that these swaps can EASILY run a 3.4 pulley with almost no considerations other than a clean exhaust, because they weigh so much less and in turn put less load on the motor. I am now to the point where if any other mod is done with this 4speed motor, I am going to put on a overly small pulley, against the grain of the gtp guys, because in reality I dont think that.

Remember you dont live that far away from us up here Adam, I think that milan is more or less an hour drive for you. We go there alot so just let me know if you want to get a trip together.

And in response to dennis, I am now at the point were I think that a 3.3 pulley would not present any "untunable" problems. The pulley is a great option, but I know alot of people will confirm that leaving the 3.8 pulley on and setting up the exhaust and intake the way we did will get us quite close to the result we got (if I had a modular 3.8 I would LOVE to run a 12 with the 3.8 on because I know it would be easily possible). Also, my friend that went to the track with us, had a 3.4 on his gtp, and EXTENSIVE tuning (I mean hours and hours of tuning) and he eventually got to the point where he ran stock timing and a 3.4 on a stock motor with moddded intake and exhaust. Its only the morons that read fourm posts made by people like myself and think they can get away with it because they are lucky are the people that melt pistons.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006
Ah, now my videos from that day are all in one place!

Go to the orginal video I posted, then on the far right, there is a blue link that says "from user" click that and youll see all the videos from that day.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
"from user'' is where I watched the other runs I mentioned before.

Do you think if the car had more power it may get slower? It seems like he can pull through 1st and 2nd at WOT and the car just goes. Anything above 60% throttle in 1st will simply leave smoke in my car, and thats with some decent bridgestone tires.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Holy crap that thing launches! Is this a 4 spd manual or auto? And who wants to do this swap for me! haha

Great work!

------------------

FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
this isn't the 4:10 4-speed right, it's the munchie?

I am not in disbelief as sometimes you just hit the sweet spot on a car with the right combination of parts. nice time
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post
Congrats

When I was running the 4 speed manual in my car I had run as low as a 3.0 inch pulley with out a hint of KR. Mods were 1.9:1 rockers, 160 thermostat, and a K&N filter, everything else stock 1999 bonneville including the PCM. Best I ran was a 12.6 with that setup. At the time it was the fastest 3800sc Fiero on the forum, until FieroX got his figured out and ran faster.

I am sure you are at a better altitude than me, but that is still a very good time for a 3.4 inch pulley. I would suggest picking up a modular pulley system and scanning with some smaller pulleys. You might be surprised at how much a 3800 Fiero can run for boost with the manual transmission and lighter car. Rockers are a cheap and easy hp gain as well.

I have since switched to a 4T65E as all the 1.7x 60 foots on the 4 speed eventually dumped the diff out of the case.

Congrats on the runs, I look forward to seeing more.

------------------
11.806 @115.07
Best 60' 1.569 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

[This message has been edited by LFiero67 (edited 05-22-2007).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I hear ya on that "drop pullies and see" idea, because I am so baffled to NEVER see any hints of knocking with either his car or mine. The manual car has a modular setup on it, and we are working on getting a mod scedual together. Currently we are looking for used stuff to pop up in the form of rockers or an IC.
PFF
System Bot
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
I thought I read someplace that you can take the 4-speed gears and put them into a Getrag to have that great 4-speed ratio with an added 5th gear bonus for freeway MPG.

I would think that if this is indeed possible that it might be a popular tranny set up seeing as how MPG are a big concern lately not to mention the getrag seems to hold up better to abuse from what I hear and you would still have the great 1/4 mile times as with the 4-speed.

[This message has been edited by FieroMonkey (edited 05-22-2007).]

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
Why is that time so surprising?

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 05-23-2007).]

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post

goatnipples2002

2055 posts
Member since Jul 2005
I have been on gtp forums and most with similar mods have run 13.5ish time. Those are 3400lbs cars and if every 100lbs is a tenth (.1) then that with a 3.4 pulley and a 4 speed this seems about right. Nice run. I hope mine is close.

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 05-23-2007).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatnipples2002:

Cause it is a stock motor with a 3.4 pulley running very good times. Not to mention on a manuel car that is cable shifted. I am thinking the power to trans is a perfect match for this setup. And that getting anymore power to the ground is only going to slow the car down. More power is going to cause more wheel spin and will cause times to be slower. This Thread makes me want to build another manuel car but on a 4 speed, just happen to have 85 GT 4 speed that is going to need a motor.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Cause it is a stock motor with a 3.4 pulley running very good times. Not to mention on a manuel car that is cable shifted. I am thinking the power to trans is a perfect match for this setup. And that getting anymore power to the ground is only going to slow the car down. More power is going to cause more wheel spin and will cause times to be slower. This Thread makes me want to build another manuel car but on a 4 speed, just happen to have 85 GT 4 speed that is going to need a motor.
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
not to mention his exhaust system. As far as "math" goes this seems about right.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2007 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

I have been on gtp forums and most with similar mods have run 13.5ish time. Those are 3400lbs cars and if every 100lbs is a tenth (.1) then that with a 3.4 pulley and a 4 speed this seems about right. Nice run. I hope mine is close.

Thats a total lie. The gtp we went with was the identical car, with a brand new gm performance l32 longblock, and the same setup the fiero was running (the gtp had a better/cleaner exhaust), and struggled to run a high 13.6 on DR's. Not to mention the car was extensivly tuned, dynotuned, then tuned again. Upwards of 20 hours of laptop time with that car resulting in 18 degrees of WOT timing an 28mpg, no where near what the fiero got. BTW doing the omg drop the 100lbs drop a tenth math only works to a 13 flat btw, leaving .4 seconds hanging around somewhere.
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
I was reading profiles on car domain and most that have close to the same or more mods run mid to high 13s.

So do you think it is a fluke for your car to run this or would any 4speed L67 with a 3.4 and exhaust run the same?

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 06-04-2007).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

I was reading profiles on car domain and most that have close to the same or more mods run mid to high 13s.

So do you think it is a fluke for your car to run this or would any 4speed L67 with a 3.4 and exhaust run the same?

I wouldnt say this was a normal time for a 4 speed L-67 to run in a Fiero with very little MODs. I think the car is setup just right down to the TEE and its all working together. Will be interested to see if the car keeps performing the same way.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock