Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Indiana Fiero Cruise, Details Inside! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Indiana Fiero Cruise, Details Inside! by squisher86SE
Started on: 02-16-2007 01:35 PM
Replies: 127
Last post by: sYkboy on 06-07-2007 12:02 AM
squisher86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
Alright, at the last Indiana meetup I mentioned planning a cruise for the Hoosiers (and anybody who might want to join us really).

I'm aiming for June 2nd ('07). Rain date for June 22nd. I'm not sure on the time to start yet, I want to drive the route once to see how long it is, and for any interesting stops, either photo ops or food. Initial plans include stopping partway through the run at a restaurant for food and conversation.

Hopefully I have this up early enough that everyone who wants to attend can plan for it, but not so early that people forget.

This is the route I have tentatively planned:
It starts at a shopping center just off of I65 on 46. The Jay-C at West Hill for those familiar with the area. Get off the interstate at exit 68 and turn west on 46. The shopping center is at the top of the next hill on the north side. It has a Jay-C grocery store, Subway, Ace Hardware, etc.

I would like to take 46 from Columbus to Bloomington (specifically the 446 intersection) then 446 down to US 50, US 50 to Seymour and I65 back up to where we started. I have been on all of these roads at one point or other, and 46 and 446 are very fun while US 50 is entertaining, it should make a nice cooldown after 446.

What is the consensus, Lunch meal (so it's not running way late in the day), afternoon snack type stop or dinner run? I am open to suggestions for stopping points also for people familiar with the areas.

The route I have in my mind basically skips all of Bloomington, but I know there is a pretty good selection of food places right there on 46 without having to go very far off my proposed course (I think there's an Olive Garden Downtown-ish Bloomington has Yonko's little Zagrebs for steak). I will be looking into this while I go on a test run for the route as well. Since the later part of the route would go through Seymour, there are also a lot of options there that will be directly along the route. (From memory: Ryan's, Max & Erma's, Perkins, Tumbleweed, Applebee’s, the best Chinese Buffet EVER, or ANY fast food and probably more that I've forgotten).

If we can get a rough estimate of the number of people coming, I would like to go as far as to make reservations at a restaurant.

For people who wish to join us on this cruise, I will be providing printed maps and directions in case anyone gets separated, and if anyone has family band radios, those could come in handy. I have access to two myself. Another good thing if that's not an option, compile a cell phone list. I will be providing mine on the directions sheet at least, that way if anything happens at least I will be available.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroluv

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
It's not fair all of the Indiana happening are always way south. Doesn't anyone do anything North?
Douggg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougggSend a Private Message to DougggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluv:

It's not fair all of the Indiana happening are always way south. Doesn't anyone do anything North?

Put something together. I'd show up for a northern Indiana meet.

fieroluv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
If I can get my car back on the road by the end of summer I would love to put something together. I have a LOT of work to do. May not get it painted by then, but it should at least be running and reliable by then.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-16-2007 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
When this gets closer and its 100% firm of the time/route dont forget me! ( pm is best, i tend to miss threads every so often )

Oh, and make sure there are some gas stations along the way, I'm only getting about 20mpg these days and it may not be better by then, and my gas gauge in the GT ill most likely drive is toast.. ( but its got AC )

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 02-16-2007).]

s550w

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for s550wSend a Private Message to s550wDirect Link to This Post
You haven't been to Seymour in awhile I would assume. The Perkins came and went really fast. The Chili's opened early 2006 I believe in that location. Cracker Barrel is at the interstate too.

You also have a buffalo wild wings in front of Walmart near your start/finish depending on the timing.

Alternate suggestion for the last leg....Cut over to route 11 in Seymour. It has a few really nice curves You can turn north (left) at the West Jay-C in Seymour, go to 6th st. and turn east (right) (I think it is rt 258) go to the first light and turn left on rt 11. If stopping in Seymour, exit 55 or 56 is route 11 from I-65.

I am planning on it, will will see if work cooperates.

Brian
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, well, I'm not from Indiana but, I'll try to come if I can.

------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all. Some ran the other way.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-16-2007).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-16-2007 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Looking at the proposed route, thats something like 2-3 hour drive?

I would think doing lunch 1/2 way thru would make the most sence. Wouldn't want to have to get up too early on a saturday, and while i wouldnt care since i know the area, many people woudnlt want to get caught in the dark down there if it ran late.

Plus if we have any mechanical problems, mid day would give extra time to get the car back on the road. ( i know im bringing tools.. )
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by s550w:

You haven't been to Seymour in awhile I would assume. The Perkins came and went really fast. The Chili's opened early 2006 I believe in that location. Cracker Barrel is at the interstate too.

You also have a buffalo wild wings in front of Walmart near your start/finish depending on the timing.

Alternate suggestion for the last leg....Cut over to route 11 in Seymour. It has a few really nice curves You can turn north (left) at the West Jay-C in Seymour, go to 6th st. and turn east (right) (I think it is rt 258) go to the first light and turn left on rt 11. If stopping in Seymour, exit 55 or 56 is route 11 from I-65.

I am planning on it, will will see if work cooperates.

Brian

Doing it in the daylight is definitely a plus, the scenery is pointless in the dark eh? Although if we end the run at a restaurant in Seymour (or Columbus) next to the interstate at least it would be easy to get places.

It's been a couple of months since I've been through seymour and actually paid attention to the restaurants closely. I wasn't sure on the Perkins, I like Chili's better anyway. I thought I did purty good based on memory The Tumbleweed is on a huge parking lot, so if we actually had numbers there would be plenty of space to park. The Ryan's down there also has a lot of space.

I'm planning on driving the route at least once before to see how long it is. It ought to work out to be about 2 and a half hours. If it turns out really long we could cut it short by going to 135 instead of all the way up to 446.

I'm not sure why I picked 65 instead of 11, I don't live very far from the 11/65 interchange at Jonesville (Exit 55 I think). 11 is fun between Seymour and 46 in a couple of spots

I'll put any route updates here as I figure more out. I wonder if taking off around 10 or so and getting a slightly late lunch in Seymour wouldn't be the best plan of action. I'll also learn more when I do the planning run and can see what's right there in Bloomington on 46 without having to go too far into Bloomington. That would be a good midway point, if we take off at 11, we'd get to places in Bloomington by around 11:45-noonish, and that would allow for an easy gas stop too.

There should also be a gas station at the 446/50 intersection. I'll be marking things like that on the planning run, I just wanted to get this out there for people to plan.

Keep the ideas coming!

EDIT:

Originally posted by fieroluv:

Sorry 'bout that, I can't plan up north very well though, I don't know the roads

I'd come up for a run if you want to put one together though!

[This message has been edited by squisher86SE (edited 02-16-2007).]

Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like fun. Count me in, as long as red is up to power. She's been running strong lately

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

s550w

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for s550wSend a Private Message to s550wDirect Link to This Post
I would guess 2 hours just driving my normal. A large group out to enjoy the ride could take longer. I think the mall and a bunch of restaurants are only a mile or two further along 46 in Bloomington. Tumbleweeds still has plenty of parking though a starbucks was but in last year too. Sonic is downtown on 50 if we want to do the outdoor thing. Your memory was pretty good for the restaurants. They have no stopping signs when going over the resevoir but, it is a beautiful area. There are some areas in Brown county that my cell phone does not work. I have a set of 4 family band radios. I don't have a garage but, I am in Seymour if anyone has to make a pitstop for repairs.
PFF
System Bot
HappyFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HappyFieroSend a Private Message to HappyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like fun.
FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
I should have my Fiero back from Norm by then... I'm also going to be building a Pontiac/Fiero website including all events scheduled in Indiana. The website will be www.IndyPontiac.com. I'll plan cruises in the Central and Northern parts of IN. The first of which will be to lap I-465, and maybe stop for a round of bowling at Woodland Bowl off Keystone (or perhaps the other one toward the south side). I have 10 people's info right now... If you haven't sent me your e-mail, name, and contact info... Please do to catch the newsletters which will be going out soon.

Greg
President - Fiero Owners of Central Indiana (FOCI)

------------------

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-17-2007 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTguy:

I should have my Fiero back from Norm by then... I'm also going to be building a Pontiac/Fiero website including all events scheduled in Indiana. The website will be www.IndyPontiac.com. I'll plan cruises in the Central and Northern parts of IN. The first of which will be to lap I-465, and maybe stop for a round of bowling at Woodland Bowl off Keystone (or perhaps the other one toward the south side). I have 10 people's info right now... If you haven't sent me your e-mail, name, and contact info... Please do to catch the newsletters which will be going out soon.

Greg
President - Fiero Owners of Central Indiana (FOCI)

Us indy guys could do the 465 thing before heading down to seymour... ( just a thought )
I wear pants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for I wear pantsSend a Private Message to I wear pantsDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like fun. I'm in.
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
like fieroluv said if there was a nothern IN meet id show up because im not far from FT wayne. id try to come south but right now its not the mosy reliable car
frantech87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frantech87Send a Private Message to frantech87Direct Link to This Post
A northern Indiana meet sounds good. Just make it when there is no snow!!

Fran
s550w

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for s550wSend a Private Message to s550wDirect Link to This Post
hmmmm.... we have more northern IN people in this thread than central or southern Indiana. At this rate, circling 465 could get a really good crowd as the only central location in the state. Just wait your turn though!

Brian
gladiator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gladiatorSend a Private Message to gladiatorDirect Link to This Post
If I have mine running by then, count me in.

Gary
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
S.R. 135 between 50 and 46 is an awesome road. Why cruise the leadsled lanes?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-18-2007 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

hmmmm.... we have more northern IN people in this thread than central or southern Indiana. At this rate, circling 465 could get a really good crowd as the only central location in the state. Just wait your turn though!

Brian

Would need to find somone to stand on an overpass out on the east side to take pictures of the 'crowd' as it comes down the road.

( i say east side only beacuse its like 5 lanes or so, and decent looking pavement. )

PFF
System Bot
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post
Count me in, I should have my car running by then.

Brian

Cruisin around 465 works for me, I have no problem with that.
DAVE F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DAVE FSend a Private Message to DAVE FDirect Link to This Post
hi yall i'm from new albany in. right across the ohio river from louisville ky. i've got 86,87,88, gt's and been looking for other enthusiasts around here. i tried getting in touch with, philphine over in louisville but he never got in touch back with me. this outing looks like fun sign me up. oh yea my name is dave foster,later
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DAVE F:

hi yall i'm from new albany in. right across the ohio river from louisville ky. i've got 86,87,88, gt's and been looking for other enthusiasts around here. i tried getting in touch with, philphine over in louisville but he never got in touch back with me. this outing looks like fun sign me up. oh yea my name is dave foster,later

Welcome!

I'll try and drive it in the next couple of weeks so that I can finalize plans about it, but this is a definite thing. I'lll make sure this thread stays up to date as I plan it out.
s550w

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for s550wSend a Private Message to s550wDirect Link to This Post
BUMP! We seem to be missing some people that showed up at Hooter's the last couple of times.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Sounds fine to me, what to drive . . . .
Misery

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiserySend a Private Message to MiseryDirect Link to This Post
You can count me in, if I can stay motivated and get mine running. I am for the SR 135 route too, kinda close if my stuff breaks
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-25-2007 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

I hope to have that problem by then as well.

s550w

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for s550wSend a Private Message to s550wDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

I'm sure you will figure it out My choice is 4 cylinder or get busy working on the GT......

Brian

[This message has been edited by s550w (edited 02-25-2007).]

FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have an extra Fiero that I could borrow for this??? Would hate to tool along in a Fiero convoy driving the Volvo. Something tells me I wouldn't fit in!
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
Just one Fiero here so far....hehehe

I know I won't care if you're in a Volvo. I talked to a couple of PFF'ers at the recent autocross around here, and I think we're going to have a number of people come out for this (Yay!)

I'll most likely be driving the route the weekend of March 10th. I will be mapping locations of things like nice places to stop for photo ops, gas stations and restaurants, as well as getting a rough idea of how long this will be. I think I will be shooting for an early to mid afternoon start time and then stop for dinner in Seymour towards the end of the run.
PFF
System Bot
datacop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
I've driven that route numerous times in the past... absolutly LOVE It..

There are some VERY choice hills and turns on the 50 leg of the route, and the twisties on 446, esp around the lake are VERY hard to beat

Good lord I wish I had a Fiero

[This message has been edited by datacop (edited 02-27-2007).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-27-2007 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

I'm sure you will figure it out My choice is 4 cylinder or get busy working on the GT......

Brian

My choice is my 5speed GT over the Auto GT, but im not sure ill have it safely road worthy by then. its been out of commission since early summer from popping an engine, and just now finishing things up. ( partially lazyness, and the disadvantage of being at the mercy of the weather ). Not sure i want to trust it that far from home nor not....A tow bill back to town would be a killer.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-27-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by squisher86SE:

Just one Fiero here so far....hehehe

I know I won't care if you're in a Volvo. I talked to a couple of PFF'ers at the recent autocross around here, and I think we're going to have a number of people come out for this (Yay!)

I'll most likely be driving the route the weekend of March 10th. I will be mapping locations of things like nice places to stop for photo ops, gas stations and restaurants, as well as getting a rough idea of how long this will be. I think I will be shooting for an early to mid afternoon start time and then stop for dinner in Seymour towards the end of the run.

Keep in mind we will be driving INTO the sun on a late afternoon trip for part of the way.

Let me know if you want company and ill follow you around if im not busy that weekend with work. Would be a good excuse to get out for a day, and i have some relatives down south i rarely get to visit ( with a big back yard.. good for target practice, )

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 02-27-2007).]

John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

Wanna buy a white 84 4 spd?

BTW, I'm in for the cruise!

[This message has been edited by John Boelte (edited 02-27-2007).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-27-2007 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

I've driven that route numerous times in the past... absolutly LOVE It..

There are some VERY choice hills and turns on the 50 leg of the route, and the twisties on 446, esp around the lake are VERY hard to beat

There were several for sale out in newcastle this sumer/fall.. i could check this weekend with my friend that lives out there if you are interested..

And there used to be a black 86 or 87 GT with a V8 in it on the southside.. I never stopped to look, didnt have the money for yet another car when i had one broke one in the driveway.

squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Keep in mind we will be driving INTO the sun on a late afternoon trip for part of the way.

Let me know if you want company and ill follow you around if im not busy that weekend with work. Would be a good excuse to get out for a day, and i have some relatives down south i rarely get to visit ( with a big back yard.. good for target practice, )

True, I hadn't thought of that, but it will be IN 46, lots of trees and curves, so not much driving directly into it. Sounds like a good argument for an *early* afternoon departure time (2-ish?)

Probably Saturday the 10th will be the pre-drive, weather permitting (who wants to drive for fun in the rain?) Most likely my Fiance and I will go to lunch in Columbus and start driving. I don't mind if you want to tag along
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-28-2007 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by squisher86SE:

True, I hadn't thought of that, but it will be IN 46, lots of trees and curves, so not much driving directly into it. Sounds like a good argument for an *early* afternoon departure time (2-ish?)

Probably Saturday the 10th will be the pre-drive, weather permitting (who wants to drive for fun in the rain?) Most likely my Fiance and I will go to lunch in Columbus and start driving. I don't mind if you want to tag along

Shoot me a PM or an email of when you might head out and ill swing down to columbus about that time ( and a good place to meet.. id be coming down 31 since im near greenwood )

s550w

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2007 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for s550wSend a Private Message to s550wDirect Link to This Post
BUMPITY! BUMPITY!

Did you try running the route? It was a beautiful weekend for it.

I workred in the morning... , but I got fiero parts for my GT on Friday evening and a few extras as well. Still need exhaust tip and some other things.

I had forgotten, there is a car mueseum/restayrant on the West side of Seymour near the airport. I have never seen the nuseum section open though.
Personally, I'm leaning toward a vote for tumbleweeds. Plenty of parking and decent food.

FYI, Seynour is non-smoking in all areas of restaurants since July last year.

Brian
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-11-2007 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

BUMPITY! BUMPITY!

Did you try running the route? It was a beautiful weekend for it.

I workred in the morning... , but I got fiero parts for my GT on Friday evening and a few extras as well. Still need exhaust tip and some other things.

I had forgotten, there is a car mueseum/restayrant on the West side of Seymour near the airport. I have never seen the nuseum section open though.
Personally, I'm leaning toward a vote for tumbleweeds. Plenty of parking and decent food.

FYI, Seynour is non-smoking in all areas of restaurants since July last year.

Brian

Yes we ran the route ( well, i only did 1/2 of it, i had to bail to get some stuff done )

He took a few pictures along the way, i was too absent midned to bring a camera. He said he would post them shortly.

Bloomington is also smoke free.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock