Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  We are getting another Fiero this time a SBC a few sneak peak pics inside

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

We are getting another Fiero this time a SBC a few sneak peak pics inside by Capt Fiero
Started on: 01-08-2007 01:00 AM
Replies: 33
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 02-16-2007 02:32 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2007 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well we have an 88GT with a V6 5spd an 85GT with a 4.9 5spd Fuel injected V8 an 85SE/GT clone V6 auto and now we are buying a Carbed SBC 5spd Getrag.

Here are a few sneak peak pics that are from a car show. We go down on Wednesday to finalize the deal.

My question is though, first off, anyone recognize the side scoops. I have not asked the owner where he got them from so I don't know. I was curious if anyone on here know where they are from.

For note, the car will actually end up being FieroChicks. She has never in her life driven a stick so I figure learning on a V8 Fiero is going to be interesting. Frankly I think it will be easier for her to learn on a car with so much of a torque to weight ratio. The only drawback to the car is that it is a 305 and not a 350 but that can be changed easily. Owner only used a 305 as he had one sitting in has garage collecting dust. He had planned on swapping it but never got around to it.

Some of the pluses is that it has Corvette front brakes, poly suspension and several other nice tweaks including the wheels which I really think suite the car.

Please see pics below.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 04-22-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2007 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
that's a nice one . I think those scoops are the ones from fierostore? hm
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2007 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
What kind of trans adapter plate is that? in the 4th pic?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2007 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
It is a one off piece he built it himself. He does metal fabrication and makes all his own parts, adapter plate, flywheel, brackets, and even the corvette brake upgrade was done using brackets he made himself.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 01-08-2007).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2007 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

It is a one off piece he built it himself. He does metal fabrication and make all his own parts, adapter plate, flywheel, brackets, and even the corvette brake upgrade was done using brackets he made himself.

NICE!
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2007 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
We don't even have it here yet and I am already looking at upgrade parts for it. Specifically engine upgrade parts. Decent 350 with some nice vortec heads. Nothing too exotic just enough to give it a bit of a boost in power. Shooting for 280 or so rear wheel hp. I want it easy enough for a daily driver but quick enough to eat cocky import drivers and most mustangs on the street in street trim.
MartyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2007 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MartyKSend a Private Message to MartyKDirect Link to This Post
Capt.
Go ahead and go big on the engine, you will not be unhappy with 400 or more at the rear wheels........ JMO...... Marty
88GT5.0KILLER
From: Watching a once great nation become a 3rd world slum. The power of stockpiles of ammo.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2007 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT5.0KILLERSend a Private Message to 88GT5.0KILLERDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MartyK:

Capt.
Go ahead and go big on the engine, you will not be unhappy with 400 or more at the rear wheels........ JMO...... Marty

Even if that getrag isn't stock, it will still pop like a zit with 400WHP.

Let her learn to drive the car then eventually do what you want to it.

Like switch to another tranny thats going to hold up.

Fiero Chick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ChickClick Here to visit Fiero Chick's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero ChickDirect Link to This Post
Now Now boys Its going to be My fiero ...... i think i should be the one to decide on what gets done to it hmmmm. And yes I defently would like to learn how this one handles and learn how to drive standerd on it before i start tweeking with the power band.

------------------
85 Fiero SE V6 with 85GT Bumpers and 86GT Interior Wants Nitrous to keep up with Capt Fiero.

Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
furious_fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 232
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for furious_fieroSend a Private Message to furious_fieroDirect Link to This Post
gonna bring it on Saturday to the meet?

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Probably not, espeically with the snow dump we are suppose to get this week/weekend. Being as she has never driven a stick before its going to be best to give her some time to learn before be try and dump her in the snow in a V8 5spd.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2007 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well we went down and gave him some money for the car today. We looked it over, he explained the good and bad, very up front about what he had planned on changing or fixing. He is going to give the car another once over for us. We agreed to buy it. So we left him with the deposit for the car, but I snapped some other pics for you guys. I love the huge exhaust on it. As well as the way the rear sway bar mounts. He said the car handled like it was on rails. THe car is definatly a fixer upper. It needs a really good cleaning and some other assorted stuff done to it. But at this point, it just needs a new waterpump belt and it will be good to drive.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 02-10-2007).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
So an update.

We picked the car up today. Drove it from Langley, to Surrey, Surrey to Coquitlam, Coquitlam to Aldergrove, Aldergrove to Langley and Langley back to Surrey. Burnt 20 bucks in gas. (About 80 miles of in town spirited driving) We ran it across the scales, total weight is 1290kg. 2838lbs. So a touch more than my 4.9 Fiero, but still not bad, considering all the heavier parts on it.

First thing I noticed is it did not seem to have that much power, even less than my 4.9. I just attributed it to being a Carb vs Fuel Injection. Well I was right and wrong on that assumption. We drove it around and made a stop by a friends house that use to drive an 80 Camaro. First thing we did was road test it, pulled it back into the shop and he checked the secondaries. The vacuum pod that opens the secondaries was shot. So that explained why it was so doggy for a V8. We did not have any parts to fix the issue, so under careful consideration, we took the back woods fix. Grabbed some wire and wired the suckers wide open. I took it for another spin and man it runs better. Lots more power. I am still not a fan of the Carb, but for being a bottom of the barrel Carb Q-jet, it seems to function. It is going to need some serious tuning though. If off idle you punch it, it wants to bog out pretty bad, it comes alive around 3000 and pulls hard all the way to the top.

We only have a 2 day permit on the car. Although the car runs and drives pretty well. We are going to park it and do some work to it. It needs most the gages to be hooked up. Right now the Speedo is not wired up, the tach is still setup for a 6, the Temp guage does not work, the Oil Pressure sending unit was not installed and a few other things need to be addressed. Nice thing is it, starts, stops and corners really well. She even got her first lesson driving it today, we went to the Java Hut parking lot in Langley with a bunch of other car friends. They each took turns in the passenger seat showing her how to shift, how to use the clutch and control the car. Without really touching the gas, in the wet the car will actually buck hard enough to spin the tires. So that was kinda fun to watch. She will get the hang of it over time.

So anyone got any crash courses on how to tune a Carb. (yes we are going to get the vacuum bit probably on Monday)
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

My question is though, first off, anyone recognize the side scoops. I have not asked the owner where he got them from so I don't know. I was curious if anyone on here know where they are from.

The side scoops are "Original Pontiac Design" that never made it into production cars, molds were sold to aftermarket firm. These scoops were at one time available from FOCOA, quite some time ago. Both my GT's have the same scoops.

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
You are going to have to start with the basic timing and make sure it's within specs. I see it's got a vacume advance on the distributor. Check that and make sure that it works. If the vacume pot for the secondarys was bad, that one may be also. The EGR valve doesn't have a vacume line connected to it. Is it loose or just eliminated?

Edit: I see in the pic of the carb that at least 2 rubber vacume hoses on the right side are plugged with a bolt and a screw. If you don't need those ports then get some rubber caps for them. One looks like the head of a sheetrock screw and those will leak. In fact that may be the vacume line for the carb secondarys!

IMO If you have the secondarys wired wide open it will bog down until it gets to the point that it can use the amount of air available to it. You also stand a chance of it running very lean and burning a valve or something.

Looks like a fun project

Dave

[This message has been edited by 2farnorth (edited 02-10-2007).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Congrats to Fiero Chick. Nice ride.

A couple of observations from the cheap seats.

1. I used to have a 305 Trans Am and it ran fine. The valve seals will harden and cause some drip through, but it is an easy fix.
2. If you aren't a chest thumping testosterone laiden guy the 305 is plenty of engine for the street.
3. The cheapest and best route to go for the carb is to trade in the old Qjet for a rebuilt 500 cfm 2-barrel Holley. Not very pricey and the Holley service guys will help with the setup. (It should be set up for your engine right out of the box.) That carb will do everything the engine needs, be easy to tune, and give some pretty exciting bottom end.
4. A set of headers will wake it up alot if you want to spend some extra $

Good luck with it and do have fun.

Arn

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
get it tuned up good cuz i am gonna blow everything you own away this summer..mawhahahahah.....my little pos is getting closer and closer..hehehe...tim looks like a good score and a 305 is a nice girly motor to learn on...no offense...
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
FYI, here is a build of a 305 ci to 370 hp. Enjoy

http://www.popularhotroddin...ne_blocks/index.html

Arn

Note: NA not boosted

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 02-10-2007).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Arns thanks for all the cool info. Its nice to know that a 305 can be built up at least to respectable levels.

Tim I am just going to have to start ignoring you no offense of course.

As for the headers.

The corvette headers that are on it are suppose to be as good as most off the shelf block huggers.

The exhaust is 3" through a flowmaster and out the back. Has a wonderfully sound.

As you mentioned valve seals. Yep they are already shot. If you drop a c couple gears and compression brake hard, as soon as you get back on the gas, it blows a cloud of blue. Kinda sucks but we knew in the beginning the motor had been used and abused.

Our goal is going to be first to get on a carb that can be dialed down for the small motor but still be big enough to leave room to hop it up later.
Next will be a set of vortec heads, then once she is used to the engine with good carb and decent heads, and wanting more, we will drop the motor out, swap in a 350 with a decent cam that moves the power up into the 5000-6000rpm peak range. I don't want her getting in over her head It took her 2 years of driving a V6 Fiero before she was comfortable enough to take it to the track.

Its all going to be over the course of a year or so. With us getting married in July there is not too much time to be rebuilding cars. As it stands I have my 85GT with 4..9 and my 88GT she now has her 85SE V6 and her 86GT Carbed SBC.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
What's up with that adapter plate? It looks like the bell housing was replaced. More info and pics, please...

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

PFF
System Bot
HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroDirect Link to This Post
It almost looks like the trans it bolted directly to the engine? Is that some sort of inspection hole on the top of the bell housing?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
The person that built the car, built everything from scratch. The adapter plate is either 1/4" or 3/8" plate steel. Sorry I can't remember which. He used the plate steel to keep it thin. He used a modified Marine flywheel and a custom clutch. The nice thing is that it left the entire package short enough that even using the stock trans mounts and axles he was able to use an off the shelf 85 Corvette water pump. No fender belts and no electric pumps. There is nothing wrong with doing it Archie's way, he just wanted to simply the system. There is a pic of the water pump someplace up in the thread. It is right on top.

Now for that trans question. You really have me and everyone else stumped. Yes that is a cast in inspection hole. You can actually see the clutch and flywheel through there. I have asked a J-Body guy that rebuilds trans professionally and he said he has never seen that before. Neither has any Fiero person ever seen it. Jesse the guy that built it is not even sure where the trans came from. I am going to be starting a separate thread about repairs on this car shortly. Due to the fact that he did not wire up any of the engine sensors. No temp, No Oil Pressure, No Speedo, the only thing that got hooked up was Tach and that needs to be re-calibrated to work with the 8.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by California Kid:

The side scoops are "Original Pontiac Design" that never made it into production cars, molds were sold to aftermarket firm. These scoops were at one time available from FOCOA, quite some time ago. Both my GT's have the same scoops.

Thank You Cali. Is there any way to tell from which manufacturer these came from. They almost seem to be made from the same stuff as the door panels.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Put those Vortech heads on it, a well metered carb, and you'll think you have a 350 under the hood.

I''ll bet she'll like it so much she won't want the motor swapped out.

As for the valve seals, they go even on grocery getters, so it is a no fault problem with the motor.

Arn
typo

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 02-13-2007).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Thank You Cali. Is there any way to tell from which manufacturer these came from. They almost seem to be made from the same stuff as the door panels.

Both of my sets are made from laminated fiberglas, honeycomb metal screen inserts came optional for $10 a pair. Over the last few years, some people on here have searched very hard to find out who has the molds for these parts, everyone came up empty. I don't know if FOCOA had the molds, or if they were purchasing the parts from a "side shop". They are pretty nice parts, only requiring a few adjustments to make them fit real good on the car.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Is that a hole in the top of the tranny?
Gratz on the car, once you get it running right you wont be able to get the smile off of your face.
Did you say 3 inch pipe for the exhaust? I have 2 1/2 on mine and think its more than enough. What kind of muffler does it have on it?
I will have to redo my exhaust soon, its way to loud. So loud I cant leave work early because the people on the 4th floor can hear me start the car.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Yep thats a hole in the top of the case. It aprears to be an inspection hole. Its a machine, or cast in hole, I am trying to find out where the tranny came from. As of yet, no one knows.

Yep the exhaust is 3" it is not loud at all. I don't know what the muffler is, but the person we bought it from said its a 3" in and out flowmaster. If I ever get the car up in the air I will take some good pics of the exhaust.
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
hey dave seems like the 88 is the odd man out now..being all stock and such...just send it to me i will mod the crap outta it ..saves you the sleepless nights...heheheheheh....tim..
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Na the 88GT is going to become my daily driver come summer. I am going to bring My 4.9 into the garage drop the motor, pull the heads, get them shaved, install the Delta Cam swap in a diffrent 5spd maybe finally get the nitrous hooked up and running.

------------------

thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
dave why dont you just buy my 3.8sc motor i have sitting in my garage that needs some tlc and pawn off your 4.9??? or i tell u what lets trade...plop your 4.9 set up as is in my 84 and ill drop you my 3.8sc and some cash???mawhahahah oooohh the wheels are turning now eh....well???? well??? tim..
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Better put a brake on those wheels. My 4.9 is staying mine. I actully really like my 4.9. As for a 3800SC I don't plan on one of those swaps any time soon.
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
hahah never say never...hmmm i seem to remember somone saying ..no more fieros...hahahah a guy just cant say no to a good deal eh...luckily i havent found any good deals recently..dude if u find an 88 coupe laying around that has the motor or tranny toasted in it let me know, i am in need of an 88 frame for a small project i have cooking up..must be rust free.. dont care about interior or exterior as long as its a complete rolling chassis....cheers tim..
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Is that a hole in the top of the tranny?
Gratz on the car, once you get it running right you wont be able to get the smile off of your face.
Did you say 3 inch pipe for the exhaust? I have 2 1/2 on mine and think its more than enough. What kind of muffler does it have on it?
I will have to redo my exhaust soon, its way to loud. So loud I cant leave work early because the people on the 4th floor can hear me start the car.

I have to make an edit to my previous post. I went down to the shop where we bought the car from and talked to the builder again. The exhaust is 3" from each of the collectors, and 3" into the muffler, however it is dual 2.5" out of the muffler where it bends around to the tips and is then back to 3" for all 4 tips.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock