Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My '88 Coupe Build up thread - The Tiger Unleashed! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
My '88 Coupe Build up thread - The Tiger Unleashed! by Fiero5
Started on: 06-07-2005 11:46 AM
Replies: 64
Last post by: Fiero5 on 01-26-2007 10:38 AM
Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
As most of you know I had my '88 coupe recently painted by Brian (vtfiero) in Burlington VT. I am so pleased with the results that I wanted to share with you all the major process that he had to go through to help create my Bengal Fiero. This guy is amazing and the incredible work that he did on my Fiero is simply awesome! Thanks again Brian. I LOVE it!!!
I would also like to thank Alayne for helping me make this Fiero become a reality. Thanks Hon.

There are many many pictures so dial-up users beware.

OK, first off some "before" pics -
Here is how it looked last fall when Alayne and I first took pocession of the '88:

Jumping ahead to this spring (notice some snow still in the yard) -

I started to clean it up:

Next, Brian (vtfiero) and I begin a few PM and e-mail conversations...

Steve

[This message has been edited by Fiero5 (edited 06-08-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
We were deciding via e-mail how we would get the Fiero to look like a Bengal car as the pickings of other examples off the net were pretty slim. The only major pics I could find of anything similar with Bengal Tiger stripes was the famous GTO "TamelessTiger" drag car owned by Arnie "the Farmer" Beswick:

and a few pics of a Tiger striped painted fighter jet.
Then one day during all of this my daughter Tarrah e-mails me this pic:

This is a race car that was on loan to be be used for some tests by some of the students in the auto shop at Clemson University to play around with and while it was there the students got permission to paint it. The colleges sport team being the Clemson Tigers and all...

So, now we had an actual picture of the type of look that we wanted for my Bengal Fiero.

Here it is now getting ready to make the trip to Burlington VT:

My Dad (87V6GT) and I dropped off the '88 to Brian for the week long process of getting it painted.
The next series of pics are ones taken by Brian as I asked if he could document the painting process
so we could then share that here on PFF, as well as, with others who may be interested (like where I work) and have a build up of pics to be able to also put in a photo album to take to shows so others may appreciate what actually went into making this unique look.
Here is my '88 sitting in the large garage getting ready to be sanded:

Then the intense sanding begins:

ToonTownfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToonTownfieroClick Here to visit ToonTownfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ToonTownfieroDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe it started out like that!

------------------

1985 2m4
Saskatoon, Sask Canada
Visit the Saskatoon Fiero Club Website at
http://www.freewebs.com/saskatoonfieros/
Come chat with us at our Forum
http://saskfiero.suddenlaunch.com/

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
You can see in this pic that the previous owner had started to make the hood scoop vents functional. Brian and I during the many discussions about my '88 agreed that the new look of this Fiero was going to be so unique that the hood scoop vents had to be functional.

More sanding pics showing just how important it is to get the old paint scuffed up and ready for the primer/base coat and paint:

sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
wow. that is cool. I can not wait to see some more pics!

------------------

http://www.iamanascarfan.com/

I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

So now Brian starts to make the hood vents functional:

Then he cuts the holes out to finish getting the vents ready to be mounted:

The vents primered:

Then the masking continues:

[This message has been edited by Fiero5 (edited 06-07-2005).]

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000
A top view:

Once the Fiero is entirely masked off the base coat is sprayed:

Looks almost like a gun metal paint job right now

Now, we had some discussion on how exactly we wanted to accomplish the black Bengal stripes. The easiest way of course would have been to just spray the whole Fiero orange and then simply put on black vinyl stripes. We saw a few problems with doing that. One, would we put the decal stripes on the car and then clear coat over everything or clear coat the whole car and then put the stripes on. We were not sure just how well the vinyl would react to the clear coat and I didn't like the idea of vinyl anyway, especially if it was on the surface of the car as over time the vinyl would chip and get brittle especially after many cleanings and buffings. So Brian decided to do something pretty unique. He would spray the whole Fiero a shiny coat of black first:

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000
Mmmm, shiny black:

During this process his vinyl guy was creating based on some ideas and pics I had e-mailed to Brian my new windshield banner:

Then once the black glossy paint was completely dry he then masked parts of it off with vinyl stripes:

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000
More stripes applied:

Next, pics of the Bengal orange is applied.....

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good.

[This message has been edited by KissMySSFiero (edited 06-07-2005).]

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Now the orange paint is applied:

It took quite a few coats of orange to cover up the black. Anyone who has ever painted a
lighter color over a darker color knows how that works
Then the lower white was sprayed on to give it even more of a true Tiger look:

Now the Fiero sits to make sure that the paint is totally dry
before Brian attempts to start peeling off the vinyl stripes.

Later with the orange paint totally dry the peeling off of the stripes begins:

The Bengal Fiero now begins to truly show itself..

PFF
System Bot
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000
More stripes are removed revealing the glossy black paint underneath:

With all of the vinyl carefully removed it is now time for many coats of clear:

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000
More coats of clear are sprayed:

The car sits until the clear is dry and then the masking comes off:

A couple nice overhead shots:

This is a nice shot showing the white that gives it a little more detail:

Then the plates and emblems are reinstalled:

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Oooooohhhhh a DeLorean!!!! Paint looks good, too I like how the white fades into the orange like it does on a real tiger. You can tell a lot of work went into that paint job.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

ToonTownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToonTownfieroClick Here to visit ToonTownfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ToonTownfieroDirect Link to This Post
NICE!
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Heh, looks cool! Bring it to Kick Hill this weekend!

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Here are some after pics when Brian pulled it outside when it was all painted to send me some finished images to hold me over until we could drive back up and pick it up:

Since some of you seem to like the Delorean here are a few Brian took of my Tiger Fiero with the Delorian:

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000
Here is one with the doors closed on the Delorean:

As you can see this is still before I had the dual exhaust put on and finished getting my new fat white lettered tires installed all around:

Then Alayne and I drove back up to pick up my newly painted baby:
Alayne posing with it as we got to see it finally in person for the first time!

A shot of Alayne sitting in the Delorian:

Brian was just finishing cleaning up some of the little overspray it had on the inside of the hood:

A shot of Brian and I as Alayne and I were now ready to head out back to NH in my '88:

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2005 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
Hmmmm, that's definately unique, but I think it needs some time to grow on me...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Very cool. A little overstated for my tastes (big surprise there, eh?) but cool, nevertheless.

Edit - PLEASE don't put antlers on the trunk.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-08-2005).]

YELLOWFIERO88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YELLOWFIERO88Click Here to visit YELLOWFIERO88's HomePageSend a Private Message to YELLOWFIERO88Direct Link to This Post
Looks like a good quality paint job. The only thing body wise I would have done was to put the factory sunroof clip in. Not a fan of the smaller sunroofs. Never the less car looks a lot different than the last time I saw it posted. Now you need to bring it to some Cincinnati football games

------------------

88GT 3.4SC
88GT T-TOP
87GT VERT (build in progress)
86SE
85 COUPE

PFF
System Bot
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Edit - PLEASE don't put antlers on the trunk.

Yikes! Don't worry, I am not ever planning on doing that :wow:

Back to the build up pics. Here it is back home and the engine and surrounding area starting to get painted and detailed:

The next day was pretty cool as I took it to work (Hanover High School):

Also a good pic for those who think I might be one of those likes to park incorrectly with a vehicle/paint job like this....
Anyway, not soon after I was at work I had some students and staff who were asking me if I had driven this particular one of mine in specifically on that day on purpose?
I was like why, whats so special about this Friday?
The day after I picked up my Tiger Fiero (Thursday) and was able to drive it to work it just so happened to also be the same day that the latest Mac OS X "Tiger" version was officially released by Apple. LOL Talk about a bizaar coincidence.
Here is a cool overhead shot from out one of the upper floor classrooms:

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by YELLOWFIERO88:

Looks like a good quality paint job.

Believe me, it is

The only thing body wise I would have done was to put the factory sunroof clip in. Not a fan of the smaller sunroofs.

I agree. I am not a huge fan of the smaller aftermarket ones either. It was just a time factor. I realized that to get the parts and then the time to install the better stock sunroof would have delayed geting the Fiero on the road for many months. I guess at some time I could still do the swap and then just pay the cost to have Brian redue that part of the car.

Never the less car looks a lot different than the last time I saw it posted. Now you need to bring it to some Cincinnati football games

Thanks. I would love to be able to take it to at least one Cinci game, maybe early this fall before the crappy weather sets in I think that would be a blast

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000
Later on after it had been home for a bit it was then time to focus some attention on the interior. The interior wasn't bad but it certainly wasn't anything great either. So, Alayne and I started finding Tiger material and at the same time I started the grueling task of peeling off the carpeted material heavily glued onto the inner door panels:

They sure glued them down well..I had quite a few calluses on my hands after doing both panels.
Then using the old pulled off inner door panel carpeting material as a template Alayne started cutting the Tiger fabric to make the custom replacements:

She picked up some special backing material to make it thicker and a bit more stiff and to have something on the back of the material to put the glue on for when being glued down onto the door panel. This backing material is attached to the fabric by ironing it on:

She then rolled over the edges of the material with a sewing machine to give it a finished look. Then it was time to make sure everything lined up to the door panel correctly:
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000
With the new custom sections now firmly glued onto the inner door panels it was time to reinstall them and see how they actually looked in the car. First the passengers:

Then the drivers:

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000
After checking many of the local and not so local car parts stores, surfing the internet and searching eBay I ended up ordering these from some obsecure internet company:

The steering wheel cover seemed like a good idea at the time but as soon as I had it on the steering wheel I decided maybe not.

This was now around the same time that Alayne picked up her blue '87 coupe from Mark Webber (indyyellowGT) and not soon after we had a local cruise-in come up, so off we went and met up with my Dad and his 87 blue GT :

Not soon after was Carlisle and we had reservations to go and everything but then at the last minute something came up, so we decided as not lose out on going to any shows that weekend we went to the Merrimack show instead. I was wanting to do something extra special on my Tiger Fiero and decided to give air brushing a shot. So, my Dad pulled out an old air brush set he had and after shopping for paints I air brushed a Tigers head onto the inside of my hood. I drove to my Dads so I could use his air compressor and I forgot my digital camera so as soon as my Mom gets the pics developed that she took while I was air brushing it will post them here. This is what it looked like though right after I was done:

Heretic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HereticSend a Private Message to HereticDirect Link to This Post
Yuck. I can totally appreciate the work that went into the paint job...but..ew...
KissMySSFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
You probably dont want me to tell you how to remove the door carpets in less than 5 minutes. I just re carpeted mine. It took longer to remove the map pocket than the carpet.

Lighter fluid. it softens up the carpet adhesive. Then I let it set overnight. Works like a charm.

Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
I hope they weren't planning on painting the Delorean.
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

Lighter fluid. it softens up the carpet adhesive. Then I let it set overnight. Works like a charm.

I figured there was probably a better way but lighter fluid? Wouldn't that make the door panel smell bad afterwards? How do you get the smell out after dowsing it with lighter fluid?

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by Leafy:

I hope they weren't planning on painting the Delorean.

It was in the shop to get the engine worked on or rebuilt. I guess I never really realized just how big a Delorian car is.

PFF
System Bot
KissMySSFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero5:

I figured there was probably a better way but lighter fluid? Wouldn't that make the door panel smell bad afterwards? How do you get the smell out after dowsing it with lighter fluid?

i thought that too. But I tried it anyways. Maybe letting it set overnight helped. There's no noticable smell in the car. IIRC, I got the idea from Mr Mike many years ago. I figured he's done this before.

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post06-09-2005 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

It was in the shop to get the engine worked on or rebuilt. I guess I never really realized just how big a Delorian car is.

It has to be big, the drugs won't fit in something like a Fiero.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I didn't realize the Delorean was that much bigger either...

I love the paint job. I am a huge fan of Custom Paint. And your scoops are functional. This car gets a big thumbs up from me.

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I didn't realize the Delorean was that much bigger either...

I know. A Delorian is actually a pretty big car. I was very surprised.

I love the paint job. I am a huge fan of Custom Paint. And your scoops are functional. This car gets a big thumbs up from me.

Thanks. That realy means a lot to me.
And yeah, I kind of like it too

Steve

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5

8882 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by AaronZ34:

It has to be big, the drugs won't fit in something like a Fiero.

ROTFL

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I parked next to one once, and was suprised the Fiero was a bit taller!

Fiero length: 160.7in
DeLorean length: 166in

Fiero height: 46.9in
DeLorean height: 44.9in

Fiero width: 68.9in
DeLorean width: 73.1in

Dimensions:
A- Wheelbase: 2372mm (93.4in)
B- Overall Length: 4072 (160.7)
C- Width: 1750 (68.9)
D- Overall Height: 1191 (46.9)
E- Tread, front: 1468 (57.8)
F- Tread, rear: 1492 (58.7)
G- Head room: 942 (37.0)
H- Leg room: 1105 (43.5)
I- Shoulder room: 1395 (54.9)
J- Hip room: 1360 (53.5)
K- Trunk capacity (liters/cu. ft.) 165.6/(5.85)

A - Overall Length 166.0
B - Wheel Base 95.0
C - Height (Door Open) 77.2
D - Height (Door Closed) 44.9
E - Width 73.1
F - Track - Front 62.6
G - Track - Rear 62.8
H - Ground Clearance - Front 5.6
J - Ground Clearance - Rear 6.1
(all dimensions inches)

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

i thought that too. But I tried it anyways. Maybe letting it set overnight helped. There's no noticable smell in the car. IIRC, I got the idea from Mr Mike many years ago. I figured he's done this before.

Well then, I guess if it's good enough for Mr. Mike...

Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Who's rally cars are those in the background? They look like John Buffum's Hyundais.

Does Brian do the paint for him?

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom roll cage and exhaust fabrication

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug Chase:

Who's rally cars are those in the background? They look like John Buffum's Hyundais.

Does Brian do the paint for him?

Not just paint, they build the whole car. They actually get these cars shipped in brand new on car haulers and then tear them apart and build the rally cars from the ground up.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock