Bob's 3.4tdc Project car by procarnut
Started on: 10-17-2006 12:43 PM
Replies: 40
Last post by: procarnut on 11-01-2006 08:26 AM
procarnut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Here is my project car, a 1986 Fiero GT. I decided to install a 3.4L DOHC motor in it and wire it up. This is the same car I built the headers for and custom intake. It is still a work in progress but one day she will be finished. Hope ya'll enjoy the pics.
I still have to work on the brakes but that is something simple.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

Here are a ew videos to view. Keep in mind I didn't want to push the car too hard on the road....NO BRAKES!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
green87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for green87Send a Private Message to green87Direct Link to This Post
Oh my gosh that sounds nice! Can I have a ride. Almost makes me want to do a TDC instead of my 3800sc. Good job Bob. Car doesn't look that bad, wheels are nice.

[This message has been edited by green87 (edited 10-17-2006).]

Derek2M6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek2M6Send a Private Message to Derek2M6Direct Link to This Post
Nice, clean install and sounds great!

Can't wait to get my 3.4 TDC up and running, but it's going to be a long while.

------------------

procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Daniel. My vacuum tube to the brake booster puckered inwards so I had no brake assist. The link pin I used for the upper motor mount bent when I took off hard, so now I have to rework the motor mounts. If it wasn't for those two things i would have hit it hard. It's just day by day till it's done.

procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post

procarnut

622 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Just FYI.
Here are a few things i did to get that sound.

Built and installed headers
Flowmaster mufler
Port & polish heads
Retard intake 6* and exhaust 16* (added 10* overlap and increased power in upper rpm range)
Built intake (cut stock plenum and welded a pipe)

The rest is cosmetics.

But it was fun to finally drive it. I took it out Sat night and I ran out of tach before I ran out of power!!!!!

Loved it!
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
looks like a 96+ engine running with the OBD2 intake and a getrag tranny?

a couple questions that will help future swappers.. how did you get the computer to not cause problems witht he manual tranny?
why use the tiny fiero holly throttle body rather than the larger 96+ TB or a N* LS1 TB?
the "dogbone" link does look like i would put a lot of twisting force on itself when pulled or compressed.

I tried several differen cosmetic tubing for the vac lines(clear reinforced ones, and colors silicon ones) all would colapse once the engine bay heated up, I ended up using fuel line for it because it was stiff enough.

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-17-2006).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
Dang it...
Between you and Amber, i can't compete. i might as well trade mine for an '88 GT.

BTW: looks and sounds great.

procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Well you are correct. It's a 96 dohc and a getrag tranny. I disabled all wires from the PCM pertaining to the transmission. I dont have a SES light on but that doesn't mean I don't have codes. The reason I went with the 2.8l throttle body is because I planned on adding a turbo later after I get my other block built. However I am thinking about going with a northstar TB. The dog bone (linkpin) will be modified to prevent the twist affect. I plan on welding a locking bracket to the mount to keep it from twisting. I plan on getting a pcm from Loyde at FastFieros to eliminate possible trans problems and to tune it a little better. As it is right now it works great. Since I did time the cams 6* and 16* retarded it does have a rough idle untill it gets to 1100 rpms but I expected that for the gains in the uper rpm range.

Oh I don't thing the bulb is working for the ses light so I will have to do some more checking.

Bob
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post

procarnut

622 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Thanks Tom. That's why we should help each other out, to promote the sucess of the 3.4L DOHC. Yall still have an open invatation to come down to my shop.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
yeah bigger TB's even help with turbo cars - the SRT-4's get good gains with just that upgrade.

looks good though, i like the red and silver theme
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
Keep an eye on where you got that dogbone mounted to the engine. I have heard of a few people, including myself totally breaking the aluminum casting thingy. It might not happen to you, but it is a possibility. I broke mine when I swapped trannies, and the ecm didnt like the new VSS signal. The engine would jerk alot, and finally the thing broke off. Before that I didnt have any problems, but I would assume that the jerking somewhat simulated what would happen with a lot of hard launching, and serious driving.

But other than that, your swap has to rank right up there with Erik's on how good it sounds. Your swap looks really clean too. What kind of spark wires are those?

[This message has been edited by XzotikGT (edited 10-17-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
That's a very nice, very clean install. Sounds nice too. I found your other thread about building the headers and pipes. Must do mine again one day (next time something breaks probably!!).
I have to agree though about the torque strut mount. Just does not look strong enough to me. I know others have used that point with no problems, others have had problems. Me, I avoided it altogether and went with a mid engine strut from the tranny case. Still, each to his own and it still looks very nice.
I see your spare migrated to the trunk !! I moved my battery back to the stock location after trying it up front, put the ecm in the stock location and mounted the coils on the strut tower. Cramped but I like it better as it frees up the front.

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliment, XzotikGt.

The wires are Accel 8mm red wires. I took the old wires and broke them down to the raw components. The plastic stems were honed out with a reem bit on a drill press. Once the wires would slide thru that, I just cut the wires to length and crimped the ends. The ends have a ridge that keeps the plug clips from slidding up the stem. The plug ends (from the new wires) were plugged into the coils. I figured it would be impossible to find red wires so I just made a set.

Oh, Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I'm always open to recommendations. I will be more than happy to share what I know or don't know to help the forum.

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Can you post some pictures and details on your headers? Looks and sounds great!

Nolan
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
That is smart. I didnt think of that. Now I am going to have to copy that. You used a stock set for the ends right?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I need to stop reading Threads like these, I have already talked myself into doing a DOHC, then talked myself out and now back into to doing one. The install looks so clean and good. Cant wait to see it in person to be able to take it all in. Are you going to bring it to this months meeting?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Very nice, but you've got to be killing yourself with that Fiero throttle body. It doesn't flow enough for a 3.4 pushrod, let alone a 3.4 DOHC. Get a 3.4 or N* throttle body on that sucker and I'll wager you pick up some decent high rpm power.

Check the Mall for a steal on brand new N* throttle bodies. You won't find a better price.
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
he more than likely has the right throttle body laying around, its just a matter of modifying his already modded intake manifold for the bigger TB.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XzotikGT:

he more than likely has the right throttle body laying around, its just a matter of modifying his already modded intake manifold for the bigger TB.

which if you look will require welding on a whole new tube across the runners - the one on there is too small.. mine uses a 3"ID pipe (76mm)
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Guys. I just got back this morning and see I have alot to respond too.

The Headers I built are listed under the thread (homemade headers). Since it was a 96 head, the ports were oval so I had to make the cones to weld to the flange plates. Actually a exhaust shop made the cones, I just flatened them. The rest was cut peices from a truck header.

The wires were 8mm Accell wires. I just took the plug ends off the stock wire, pulled the rubber off of both ends of the plastic stem and used a reemer on a drill press. Once I reemed the stem larger (for the wire to slide thru) I sprayed carb spray into the upper cap and slid the wire thru. Then slid wire thru the stem and crimped the old terminal to the wire. After that just put the rubber seal on the end of the stem. The ends that are plugged into the coil pack are the oned designed for the spark plugs.

I am planning on installing a n* throttle body. I have one already. I'm just trying to find a good pipe to weld it to. It's just a "as you go process". I am ready to get it on the road legally.

I hate to say it but I proably wont be able to make it to the next meeting. My wife and I are expecting. She is in her third tri-mester so most of my time and money is going towards the baby. I hope to make it to the next one or so. Amber and Daniel were talking about coming down one day to my shop to piddle around on the cars, so if you like come on down with them. I'm actuall 11 miles past the Mc Donalds in Alvarado. I have a few toys here to play with, and yall are welcome to use.

I will definatly look into the dogbone. After I bent the link pin, I knew I may havedo something different. I didn't think about the aluminum breaking though. Any suggestions or pics would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post

procarnut

622 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Sorry the header build thread is (3.4L homemade headers) in (all related threads).
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Ah yes, I remember the thread now.

Thanks!
Nolan
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by procarnut:

Sorry the header build thread is (3.4L homemade headers) in (all related threads).

Why refer to it... when you can just click on it!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/060505.html

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Looks very neat !
Wish I could have seen it at the ruckus....
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Blake....I still need help with this forum. I'm not as computer savey as i use to be. I miss my Apple 2e.
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post

procarnut

622 posts
Member since Mar 2006
kohburn,

Do you have any pics of your throttle body? What did you use for the Idle air control valve?
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

which if you look will require welding on a whole new tube across the runners - the one on there is too small.. mine uses a 3"ID pipe (76mm)

I never said he wouldnt have to change the pipe size, just that he would have to modify it again. Since he has alredy done it once it shouldnt be too hard to switch over.
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077367.html

That is a link to a thread that has our intake mani's on it.
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Playing around with car. I finally fixed the brakes!

just playing around
green87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for green87Send a Private Message to green87Direct Link to This Post
Hope you have money set aside for new tires.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by procarnut:

kohburn,

Do you have any pics of your throttle body? What did you use for the Idle air control valve?

I used the 96-97 dohc TB with its built in IAC - you can also easily use a N* throttle body -
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Nice. What type of brakes?

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Brakes are stock. I want to upgrade to 13" corvette brakes but ran out of money. So I rebuilt the calipers, adjusted the parking brakes, used fresh fluid, turned rotors and surface hatched them and that's it. I would like to find the cut specs for caliper adaptors to install the c5 brakes.

btw....Thanks.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/switch/67/id215.htm

Vette upgrade how-to.

Are you still willing to make a nother set of headers? My 96 LQ1 could use them, but I have a Muncie, do you think it would work with the crossover you have?
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
I might be able too later but right now I have higher priorities I have to take care of. The crossover pipe was part of my right header. If I was to build sets for this engine I would probably stop at the collector. I could do a crossover with a flex between so as to add the flexability with other fieros. I'll post someting as soon as I can to build more.
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post

procarnut

622 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Oh Thanks! for linking me to the brake mod. That is really going to help alot. As soon as I get some details worked out, I'll let you know about the headers.
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Bump....someone was asking about this.
green87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for green87Send a Private Message to green87Direct Link to This Post
Hows the paint coming along? How much for some pink flames?
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm still working on getting it prep'd. The Soda Blaster worked great on the Bumper Facias (TPO) but did very little removal on the sides panels except the front fenders. I tried a spot on the truck lid (SMC) and it ripped through the gel coat so I have to repair that. Most of the other stuff will probably be d/a sanded then prep'd. Have just everything I need to paint it but I'm checking into some new additive that help cohesion between layers. I had painted my truck bumper before and in a short time I had alot of rock chips all over it. The last time I painted it i called Dupont and thay said now to add 1oz of 12305S activator to the base coat and it make it melt into the sealer and clear coat.

Flames? Pink flames on your silver one? Yep I can do them but I wouldn't drive in any rough parts of town.

Bob

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
want to practice on my car. it really needs a coat of primer and/or paint
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock