Started on: 10-14-2006 01:51 PM
Replies: 54
Last post by: madcurl on 10-17-2006 03:47 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Sorry guys, I had to rant.

Went to NAPA auto to get a new Starter Solenoid for the GFs 1984 Fiero.

As the guy was looking it up, he said "You mean to say there is still one of those on the road? I thought they all blew up."

I said "No, only the 84s had issues with fires, and that was due to poor maintenance and the connecting rods."

His response was "No, all of them blew up because of the gas tanks in the back."

I laughed and said "The gas tank sits between the driver and passenger, it is surrounded by reinforced frame, the trunk is in the back."

He responded "Ok, whatever. I know what I am talking about."

Pissed me off to no end.
This is the kind of guy you could drive the Fiero up, put it on a lift, and show the guy where the tank was, and his response would most likely be "Well, then this isn't a Fiero."
Even with badges on the side and everything... AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I would not have been shopping for the solenoid if anyone else in town had had it in stock and for the same price. Everyone else had it listed for 23 bucks, and had to order it, this place had it for 15 and had it in stock. Not that it is an uncommon part.

I had to vent.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 10-14-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Probably never even sat in one. It does get old.
86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I would have asked him to come outside and show me where the gas tank was.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
When I come across a person like that I usually find a different parts store. Fortunately the big 3 around here, Lordco, Napa, Mopac. There is at least one or 2 guys that are aware of who I am. So when I go in asking for a part I don't even have to tell them what car.

I don't take guff from idiot parts men. If the guy thinks he is right, prove him wrong or better yet, he thinks he is so sure, offer him a $20 bet that you think you are right. Then show him and collect the cash.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 10-14-2006).]

FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Yeah this is the same type that thinks the engine is in the front too. The thing is he'll probably argue with you about it until he's blue in the face. Some people just think they are right all the time You should go in there an "F"" with him . You know ask for parts that don't exist like the 710 cap and a muffler bearing .

------------------
HARDCORE SBC CRONIE AND PROUD OF IT ! GOT TQ ?

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
If he's that stupid, buy your parts somewhere else. But first, show him a Fiero and tell him to point out where the gas tank is. Then tell him he's full of **** and leave.
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post10-14-2006 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post
I dont even care what people say any more and dont waste time defending my car to morons. I used to explain it, but why bother?

Personally Id have just asked for my part and left. ( or gone elsewhere )
Acesurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcesurferClick Here to visit Acesurfer's HomePageSend a Private Message to AcesurferDirect Link to This Post
most ppl dont knwo true buety so they dont know the fiero... i wouldve been your right its in the back your right sure man.... been a sarcastic ******* bak at him lol

------------------
Later,
Ace

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
I would of flat out called him a idoit (probally the number 1 reason I have been thrown out of literly 5 autozones)
UDLOSE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2006 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UDLOSESend a Private Message to UDLOSEDirect Link to This Post
I dont understand why get mad?
Mess with him.
I usually agree when people start ranting on a fiero.

I say "yeah it caught fire last week".

Or "yeah those fieros are nothing but garbage"

They just give me a look and go get the part I asked for (good job parts boy, here parts boy, good boy)

then I go buy a nice condition 88GT for 1000.00.

They are blissfully unaware.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
If he's so smart and thinks they all burned up, ask him why do you still list Fiero parts in your computer.
I like the one somebody on here posted about,, "Yeah, I been carrying around a bag of marshmellows & a stick for 20 years waiting for the fire."

PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by UDLOSE:

I dont understand why get mad?
Mess with him.
I usually agree when people start ranting on a fiero.

I say "yeah it caught fire last week".

Or "yeah those fieros are nothing but garbage"

They just give me a look and go get the part I asked for (good job parts boy, here parts boy, good boy)

then I go buy a nice condition 88GT for 1000.00.

They are blissfully unaware.

...from his cousin that's afraid of it bursting into flames.

Ultimate revenge, IMHO...
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Go back in and ask him to pull up a schematic of a fuel pump.
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
I would have called his manager over and asked him "Why do I have to listen to insults about my GFs car when I came here to purchase parts from you for it". And I would have let him know that he lost my business because of it and walked out. I know you said it was a last resort and I understand that.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd

el_roy1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for el_roy1985Send a Private Message to el_roy1985Direct Link to This Post
I would of simply said "obviously you don't"
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
yeah, those F'in parts guys...
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
Knew a guy in Florida that did a DOHC swap on his Fiero that looked like it was a factory install. When ever got a rude sales clerk he would just ask for a *name of part* and give year make and model of the Fiero. Then argue with the guy until the manager would come out and these cocky prick would basicly say in so many words, your a moron in front of the manager, when he told them the car had a DOCH engine in it. He would then go to his car, open the trunk, and ask what engine thay think that was in there, end result was priceless.
The V8 guys who do this have got it better because most of those idiots will say that there is no way a V8 will fit into our cars.
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
You know what else is funny as he!! . Watching a parts guy try to explain how to install said part that they themself have no f$%king clue how to install. It's great . They try SO hard to sound like they know what they are talking about it's hilarious !

------------------

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
Yes, there are a bunch of dumbasses in the auto parts business, but don't group us all together. I've had lots of customers just as bad, that think they know everything. I don't know it all, and I've given out wrong information a few times. However, for me, most of the time the problem is on the other side of the counter.

------------------

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproDirect Link to This Post
Hilarious. I get the exact opposite reaction when I go to my local AutoZone. It is largely staffed my Hispanic guys, who all but lock the doors so they can go out to the lot and look at my GT.
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

Yes, there are a bunch of dumbasses in the auto parts business, but don't group us all together. I've had lots of customers just as bad, that think they know everything. I don't know it all, and I've given out wrong information a few times. However, for me, most of the time the problem is on the other side of the counter.

Oh don't worry i'm not bashing all you guys, just the selcet few, for the most part the guys at my local autozone are good to go.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
5.0Vert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 5.0VertSend a Private Message to 5.0VertDirect Link to This Post
There are some knowledgeable parts guys, and then you have your average parts guy. People do 5 lug swaps on fox body mustangs all the time, some of them do it the real cheap way and use ranger rotors, etc. Its just like when us Fiero guys swap to Le Baron brakes,etc. The parts guys ask what kind of car its going on and then argue with the customer for 20 minutes about "That part will not fit on your car." Customer's response"I've been doing this for the last 5 years and its worked everytime so far, just give me the damn part already."

To those knowledgeable parts guys out there, thank you. I really appreciate it when I don't have to explain every little thing, and you can actually help me out .
partsman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partsmanSend a Private Message to partsmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

very well said... please don't group us all together.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RickN:

I would have called his manager over and asked him "Why do I have to listen to insults about my GFs car when I came here to purchase parts from you for it".
And I would have let him know that he lost my business because of it and walked out. I know you said it was a last resort and I understand that.

This would have been the best way to handle it. You can just walk out and get it somewhere else that time.
You can always come back a few days later and if "that" guy is still working there, I'll bet he has a better attitude.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
one of my co-workers said last week something about my Fiero in front of a new boss, immediate response from him was - didnt those catch on fire.... in a semi sarcastic tone. I almost went into the talk about how that was only the early 84's bla bla but thought to myself, he's an idiot anyway its not worth my time ~
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
Humm My Napa guy owns one himself, the other guy there was the head of Rush Chevy shop next door before he went to napa. They both respect and know alot about the Fiero.
gt85fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt85fieroSend a Private Message to gt85fieroDirect Link to This Post
well some of you know about my little interview at autozone and some dont but for the ppl that do i finally got the job. and the main manager there helps me out alot when i dont know what it is on the fiero and he never rags on it or anything. but since im like the only fiero guy around the area here i guess ill have to keep all that i know (which isnt much to myself) hopefully i can help ppl way more than alot of the ones that done know what theyre talking about. I mean i know enough to do the job i just dont wanna become or be seen as one of the ones that doesnt know what im talking about.

i also have gotten into arguments with ppl at auto parts stores about the fiero. same thing basicaly. you have to watch out for those things they blow up/ catch on fire.

hmmmm i went through the whole ordeal with the 84's and he still persited. i was like ok got my stuff and left. and guess what the whole advanced auto team or whatever was doing when i left? staring at the car and just looking like holy **** that looks good.

i also showed a non fiero owner today that a 2.8l can be semi quick. clutch drop at 3k and was through the intersection before the other cars took off.
GT-maniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-maniacSend a Private Message to GT-maniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gt85fiero:

well some of you know about my little interview at autozone and some dont but for the ppl that do i finally got the job. and the main manager there helps me out alot when i dont know what it is on the fiero and he never rags on it or anything. but since im like the only fiero guy around the area here i guess ill have to keep all that i know (which isnt much to myself) hopefully i can help ppl way more than alot of the ones that done know what theyre talking about. I mean i know enough to do the job i just dont wanna become or be seen as one of the ones that doesnt know what im talking about.

i also have gotten into arguments with ppl at auto parts stores about the fiero. same thing basicaly. you have to watch out for those things they blow up/ catch on fire.

hmmmm i went through the whole ordeal with the 84's and he still persited. i was like ok got my stuff and left. and guess what the whole advanced auto team or whatever was doing when i left? staring at the car and just looking like holy **** that looks good.

i also showed a non fiero owner today that a 2.8l can be semi quick. clutch drop at 3k and was through the intersection before the other cars took off.

Yeah that's basically how I won my division in the 100 foot shootout drag race this summer. The old fiero is still pretty quick in the first 100 feet. Having a 4 speed and not having to shift helps too . My 3.2 sec time was good enough to beat quite a few muscle cars that day.
------------------

85 WS6 GT partly modified
87 GT Loaded resto project

Member Edmonton Fiero Owners Group

[This message has been edited by GT-maniac (edited 10-15-2006).]

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
When i was looking for rear inner tie rod ends for my GT i had the guy insist that no car uses tie-rpd ends in the rear (the fiero isnt the only one either) he kept trying to sell me stabilizer end links (what 87 fiero has a rear sway bar?) finally talked him into looking them up. ended up getting them from the fiero store anyway.

A good one is to ask for a power steering pump

------------------

Fiero- mild 2.9 160hp
Caprice- wild 383 500hp
--Adam-- ASE Certified Technician
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

gt85fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt85fieroSend a Private Message to gt85fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT-maniac:

Yeah that's basically how I won my division in the 100 foot shootout drag race this summer. The old fiero is still pretty quick in the first 100 feet. Having a 4 speed and not having to shift helps too . My 3.2 sec time was good enough to beat quite a few muscle cars that day.

ive got the 4spd to lol.
gt85fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt85fieroSend a Private Message to gt85fieroDirect Link to This Post

gt85fiero

67 posts
Member since Aug 2006

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

When i was looking for rear inner tie rod ends for my GT i had the guy insist that no car uses tie-rpd ends in the rear (the fiero isnt the only one either) he kept trying to sell me stabilizer end links (what 87 fiero has a rear sway bar?) finally talked him into looking them up. ended up getting them from the fiero store anyway.

lol. im gonna see if somone can help me learn somthing today. what does the tie rod end actually do like functionality wise? i know where they are on the fiero but know nothing about them.

PFF
System Bot
el_roy1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for el_roy1985Send a Private Message to el_roy1985Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

What would you do if he went in back then came out with one for your Fiero? I know I'd probably take a crap standing there. Then I'd buy it and install it, or sell it and see how much I could make.
StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:Yes, there are a bunch of dumbasses in the auto parts business.... I don't know it all, and I've given out wrong information a few times.
Then obviously you're not one of those... true dumbasses are those that don't know, act like they know, won't admit they're wrong, and aren't willing to learn.

Terrible Tom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Terrible TomSend a Private Message to Terrible TomDirect Link to This Post
For what it's worth, the local NAPA guys helped me a lot during my restoration project over the past two years. They even insisted on me bringing the finished car to their store so they could check it out.

I've been on the road for about 4 months now and have yet to get a negative Fiero comment. A lot of folks have complemented the car.

Tom
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
The only comment I've recieved was from one of the more experienced Autozone guys; he said "Haven't seen one of those in a while. Few and far between", although I had seen a red SE at the Napa across the street a week before ...

RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Terrible Tom:

For what it's worth, the local NAPA guys helped me a lot during my restoration project over the past two years. They even insisted on me bringing the finished car to their store so they could check it out.

I've been on the road for about 4 months now and have yet to get a negative Fiero comment. A lot of folks have complemented the car.

Tom

I've got to say that the part counter men and women at the Downtown NAPA (McCarty St) and the South 31/Southern Plaza area Advance Auto Parts here in Indy have both been very helpful to me with my Fieros. The AAP who has helped with non standard requests like allowing me to swap out multiple belts when trying to figure out which length belt to use with Rodney's idler pulley on my '88 which has the Fiero Store Power Pulley (before Rodney offered the PP idler kit). Napa spent extra time with me trying to fit a new alternator to the '85, swapping pulleys to make sure that I had the correct pulley and coaching me through rotating the alternator housings get the proper orientation for my Fiero.
------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 10-15-2006).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
If you ever want to get back at a counter guy just ask for a lower radiator hose for a 1965 Corvair!

I have given some payback to the know it all counter people with this one.
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post10-15-2006 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post
So far, with the 'parts guys' ive not had any troubles. Most appreciate cars.

Only one came close ' dont see too many of those on the road anymore'. I just said 'nope, not these days' and he dropped it.

The other day i was getting critical parts for one, while driving the other 'umm but you drove the car' as he pointed thru the window.. never dawned on him i might just have 2.. heh.

TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
There is always someone. The one time I got the "why fix the POS" attitude at a parts store (NAPA). I openly asked the manager for someone smarter to help me. That's always an interesting conversation.

When someone says "They all caught on fire didn't they?" I always reply "Yes, mine has burnt to ground several times now..."

TK

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 10-15-2006).]

Toaster_Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManDirect Link to This Post
I usually only get positive comments from people who are impressed, or ignorant comments from people just making conversation. I only get negative comments from friends when we're harassing each other about our cars ie: my Fiero addiction, Jack's "never run since he bought it" Camaro, or the Addict's lifted Ford truck (he's just a redneck, so his only beef with my car is that it isn't a truck and it is a GM). Only once did I have a guy persist that they were POS cars because his burnt to the ground, afterwards his friend proceeded to tell me why his Fiero burnt to the ground.

It turns out that the fella had little to no mechanical aptitude, but because he hung around with people that made a hobby of building up muscle cars he assumed he was qualified as a mechanic. He singlehandedly overhauled the brakes on his Fiero...incorrectly. He took it for a fairly long drive and one of the rear calipers locked up. he kept driving and the shear heat from the locked caliper caused the quarter panel to melt and catch fire. In the end I got the last laugh, and Camp Stupid had struck again.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock