Custom steering wheel adapter w/pics! by Fiero_Adam
Started on: 10-07-2006 11:59 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: troyboy on 10-14-2006 12:09 PM
Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2006 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
I finally got around to getting some picturs of this adapter. I had this custom made by Darrell Morse. It came out perfectly as I wanted it. It's a one piece chunk of aluminum made to bolt to the stock 3 spoke wheel hub, and then to my aftermarket 6 bolt steering wheel.
So, here's some pics (I apologize about them being blurry. I had to turn the flash down to get a decent picture because of the glare.)

Here's a picture of the adapter I was using, also made by Darrell a few years ago. I had to use the stock plastic shroud to cover the hub. It was also a little too thin to use with the wheel I have. Since my wheel doesn't have much dish to it, the turn signal stalk would touch the wheel when I clicked on the high beams. The new adapter is twice as thick at the mounting point, so that problem is taken care of. Also, the bolt holes didn't line up on this one, and I needed them to with the wheel I have. Other wheels may be different.

So, what do you think? I'll see about getting some installed pictures tomorrow.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEDirect Link to This Post
That looks terrific!

I presume that this allows you to run an aftermarket wheel without having it come any closer to you than necessary?

I have long arms / shortish legs so I had to rule out aftermarket steering wheels when I wanted to upgrade mine. Never thought about a custom adapter.

Andrew

------------------

Now only mostly original 85 coupe with 42k miles ;)
http://www.unmentionable.ca

fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
Is he selling these? If so how much?
Fiero_Adam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
Well, my pictures came out worse than the ones posted, if you can believe that. I'll try again tomorrow and actually look at the pictures on the computer before it gets dark.

Anyway, to answer a couple questions. With this adapter, the wheel I'm using is in about the same location as stock. I don't like the wheel any closer either, which is part of the reason I had this one made. Plus it just looks way better than any of the other adapters that you can buy. Not sure if I'm going to paint it black or not, though. I hadn't planned on having anything aluminum colored, but that may change.

I'm not sure if Darrell is going to offer these for sale. You'd have to email him to find out for sure. I'll point him to this thread, though.
Fiero_Adam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
These came out better. If anyone wants some different pictures, let me know.

troyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post
Nice, will he make more? I could use two.
Fiero_Adam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
I don't know. I think a lot of people would be interested. I emailed him the link to this thread, so maybe he'll answer that.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
LOL - that "thin" one sure looks familiar

I like what you guys came up with for the new one... it looks really slick!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Darrell Morse does Great Work!
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
i've dealt with Darell a few times and he is the best! I'd buy one of these
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post
"Bump"
for update and info.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock