FIERO EURO DIAMOND XENON HID LIGHTS by OHNIKO
Started on: 07-25-2006 10:42 AM
Replies: 33
Last post by: x-thumpr-x on 07-30-2006 05:29 PM
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
anyone know if these would fit an 85 GT?
is the 5 x 7 dimension correct?

any experience anyone with this product?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130009215793&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1

tia all!

------------------
1985 RED & SILVER GT 2.8 V6,

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kooljess

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
Get yourself a Hella lense instead available at JC Whitney and install a Silverstar light bulb. Has better lighting system. Then you can really upgrade for a real HID later if you choose to do so.
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OHNIKO:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130 009215793&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1
tia all!

I bought a set of these on Evilbay some time ago.
My impression of them:

They look pretty good right out of the box, the box with all the Chinese on it that is..but then who cares if they work well.

As far as how they work?

I have no clue yet because they are IMPOSSIBLE to fit into the *stock* Fiero headlight buckets, (the metal part). The reason being that the headlights have this big round boss on the back for the bulb recepticle over which goes an even bigger round gray rubber plug / seal . The only way these suckers are going to fit into a Fiero headlight bucket is to CUT THE METAL away in the bucket where the round part and the rubber seal and connector on the back of the light needs to protrude. I put the headlights on the shelf until I find something that fits in the stock headlight bucket, or I'm ready to butcher up some headlight parts to make them fit.

Randy

------------------
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic,
except for my friends deep inside the earth.

FieroBoy13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoy13Send a Private Message to FieroBoy13Direct Link to This Post
There is a set available at the fierostore.com and come in either gold, blue or bright white. Comes with the complete kit for under $50.00. Scott
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBoy13:

There is a set available at the fierostore.com and come in either gold, blue or bright white. Comes with the complete kit for under $50.00. Scott

Actually look to be about $70. Still better than that eBay crap.
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2006 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Hey Nick, once you get the H4 converssions, then you should look into getting some HID's. I have a set here at the shop, I'm having Adam " x_thumpr_x " trying them out. I'll let you know what he thinks of them.

Thanks
Joe
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2006 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2006 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post

kooljess

1135 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by Team Race-Tech:

Hey Nick, once you get the H4 converssions, then you should look into getting some HID's. I have a set here at the shop, I'm having Adam " x_thumpr_x " trying them out. I'll let you know what he thinks of them.

Thanks
Joe

Real HID's is the only way to go. HID's or nothing at all my opinion anyway.
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kooljess:

Real HID's is the only way to go. HID's or nothing at all my opinion anyway.

ONLY if you do a proper HID retrofit. Just throwing HIDs into stock or halogen designed headlights is BAD! HIDs should always be used in a housing or projector DESIGNED specifically for them. And just for the record, 98% of the stuff on ebay that says HID has nothing to do with HID at all!
PFF
System Bot
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
just curious, what makes HID bulbs into halogen housings "BAD" ? any specifics? i have no knowledge of the negatives in this case...

thanks!
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post

just curious, what makes HID bulbs into halogen housings "BAD" ? any specifics? i have no knowledge of the negatives in this case...

thanks!

Halogen housings were not designed to be able to "control" the light output of an HID bulb. What ends up happening is you will very likely have very bad glare to oncoming traffic, as well as a very uneven light output with "hot spots" and "cold spots"

Let me grab a few pics from google to explain it better.....
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post

fiero_silva

1493 posts
Member since Jun 2003
This is a good exemple of HIDs in a halogen designed headlight. Note the glare in the pic, that would be almost blinding to oncoming drivers:

Next is a pretty good clean and consistant light output of HID projectors. Note how the cutoff line is good and straight. That line where it gets higher on the right hand side is OK. It is designed to illuminate the right side of the road more when driving on the right side of the road (in north america). Because it is on the right side, it will not annoy other drivers. That is the differance between LHD and RHD HIDs that you may come across. In america we drive on the right side of the road (in LHD car) so you would want a LHD headlight.. It is not super commun to come across RHD HIDs, usually if it doesn't say which it is, it can be generic or most likely LHD.

Next is a gread exemple of just throwing HIDs into halogen headlights. You end up with a very spotty light output as well as glare above where the cutoff line should be. That glare blinds other drivers when you drive.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

This next pic is an acceptable cutoff of HID bulbs in Halogen housings. It will not annoy other drivers, but note how there are two "hot spots" in the light output. Also note the odd vertical line of light output near the right side, this could annoy oncoming drivers...
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

THis is another good clean cutoff. Note the consistant light output, no glare, no hotspots. Also again note that this is an LHD HID setup due to the cutoff line getting higher on the right side.

Next is just horible output. Useless color, horible glare. You may be able to see parts of the road better (or so you think) but you WILL be annoying the F#*$ out of every driver you encounter head on:

Hope that helps exlpain it a bit better.
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
plus for you, thanks for the education!
x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm.. would it be possible to use an old school technique to get rid of the unwanted glare? Cover up the top 1/8 or 1/4 of the head lamp like you see on some of these restore 50's vehicles. Friend did HID's to his VW Golf and had the same glare effect. Then he bought those "Euro Eye Lids" for his lights and it cut off alot of the upper glare to the lights.
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
i think some people may need to reaim them slightly lower, how are they working out Adam?
Mister

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Guys... Do it right, or don't do it at all

Good luck NIKO

------------------

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
So which HID housing will work in ou cars??
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130 009215793&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1

tia all!

I got a set of those and put them in my 87 coupe... wasn't easy to fit in the buckets but they look great. The bulbs that come with them... just toss them in the trash or try reselling them. They are crap and you can't see squat with them. Just get some normal wattage clear bulbs. With that little blue bulb in the base the light looks tinted anyways.
x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
Well, we just put the HID's in the car this afternoon. So far so good, but haven't had a chance to drive at night yet. Only thing that happened was my passenger side motor decided to go on the fritz just after installing them. I have a spare motor for it, just have to find it now

Nick, I'm using BOSH H4 lights & housing. Crappy tire used to carry them but stopped. I've still seen them in a few stores though. Normal price is $90 and worth it. There's no fuse with them fitting in the back sleeve and I didn't have to cut the back tabs off them either. Was able to fir the rubber surround in nicely from the back. This made the work to install the HID's much easier since I already had the light housing.

------------------

14.217 @ 156KPH

[This message has been edited by x-thumpr-x (edited 07-27-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
partsman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partsmanSend a Private Message to partsmanDirect Link to This Post

tia all!

I have this set of lights I had them in for a short time. I like the sealed beam halogens so I took them out. I think I used them maybe 3 times. They really refelect signs and animals eyes. I would sell them if anyone want them.

Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
In one older post on this forum, a yellow coupe I beleave has a set of Projector H4 replacement lights for the Fiero. I know some one makes them but don't know who?? I'll see if I can find the post.

Thanks
Joe

------------------
Race-Tech Automotive inc. & The Fiero Shop.

Specializing in Fiero performance
3800 swaps, custom 3800 and N* Aluminum flywheels, big Brakes, Engine rebuild, Aftermarket wheels, Bolt on performance parts, body enhancements, Racing seats, used Fiero parts, Authorized dealer for MOMO, SSBC, Powerdyne, Magnaflow Exhaust, Prothane, KVR Performance brake's and many more.....

Race-Tech now offers custom exhaust systems for any car or truck up to 3". You bring it we will build it.....

www.racetechauto.com

E-Mail racetek@idirect.com ... NEW E-mail address racetech@bellnet.ca

Phone (416) 747-5728
141 Turbine Dr.
Toronto, Ontario, M9L 2S7

DRLGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRLGTPSend a Private Message to DRLGTPDirect Link to This Post
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Any recommendations for a true HID converstion for our cars? I've always heard the real HID lights are several hundred dollars.
Right now I'm using Silver Stars, and for regular sealed beams, they're impressive.
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
For my 87GT, I did what most people say is a no no. I have HID's installed on my H4 conversion. The lighting is scattered a bit, but they look so nice and are so damn bright. On coming traffic has never flashed me, although lots of my friends say they are rather annoying. I was out in the country a few months ago, and I can tell you this, the lights are awesome. They work like a charm and I only have the low beam conversion. I can't imagine what high beams look like with HID's. I got the housings for $50 bucks off ebay a while back, and I have a HID kit that was about $300. It's the 4300k kit, which is the brightest and still blue from a distance and nice and bright white up close. I like the 6000k as well, but I wanted the brightest and from what I read 4300 was the brightest you could get, that comes on all stock cars. I dont see why everyone dogs doing what I did, it looks great, 10x better than silverstars, and well who wants to spend $600 on true HID housings just so it's a little cleaner light? Not me. I know everyone is going to say I'm wrong and I dont know what I'm talking about, but I have this kit on my car right now and it works fine, it's brighter than a stock HID setup, works for me. I have these on my flushmounts as well on my Formula, same result just not as good as the popups that's for sure.

-Amir

------------------

1 of 2: Graphite Grey Pearl 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 12.75@106mph, 1.77 60ft)

My CarDomain Site
My Friend Garrod's CarDomain Site

trots

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotsSend a Private Message to trotsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Any recommendations for a true HID converstion for our cars? I've always heard the real HID lights are several hundred dollars.
Right now I'm using Silver Stars, and for regular sealed beams, they're impressive.

i picked up mine off ebay for 380. it included bulbs ballasts lenses all the electronics and everything from a 04 audi tt.

do it right.

------------------

Custom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom88Send a Private Message to Custom88Direct Link to This Post
Annoying need to be changed to blinding. The majority of drivers being blinded by headlights have a tendacy to turn towards the
light. So if you have HID's in Halogen housings then I have dibs on your tail light housings and wings cause sooner or later you'll be
parting out the back half of the car. I don't care how you drive when blinded you're not the one to worry about, it the 1,000's of
others that you intersect during your night driving that I'd be worried about.
Mister

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2006 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trots:

Geeez trots, even with your HID you couldn't avoid that cat in your SIG
You should have gone back over him once more and then it would be done... LOL

Welcome to the forum...

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 07-29-2006).]

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2006 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom88:

Annoying need to be changed to blinding. The majority of drivers being blinded by headlights have a tendacy to turn towards the
light. So if you have HID's in Halogen housings then I have dibs on your tail light housings and wings cause sooner or later you'll be
parting out the back half of the car. I don't care how you drive when blinded you're not the one to worry about, it the 1,000's of
others that you intersect during your night driving that I'd be worried about.

If I can see better, my job is done. You guys act like it's a crime to do what I did. The problem is most people won't do it because they hear all these stories. It's like when people say the Getrag is strong enough to hold a 3800 superhcarged. No one has drove it hard enough to know if it's strong enough. I have HID's in my halogen housings and love it, next song.
trots

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2006 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotsSend a Private Message to trotsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mister:

Geeez trots, even with your HID you couldn't avoid that cat in your SIG
You should have gone back over him once more and then it would be done... LOL

Welcome to the forum...

haha i had to read that a few times to figure out what you were talking about. nice

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2006 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
First of all, for the umpteenth time at least... NONE of the lamps above are HID systems.

The Ebay system, like nearly all of them that show up there, is nothing but a scam. It is a Halogen based system that is not legal for street use in the U.S. Regardless of what the housings may claim or be marked, the lamps are illegal and violate FMVSS 571.108. ALL lamps exceeding 55W Low beam and 65W High beam are illegal in the headlight format used on Fiero and most other formats for that matter.

One of the only, if not the only, HID systems that directly replaces DOT lamps is Xenarc. This is a true HID system. Sylvania recently won a ruling against NHTSA/USDOT who was trying to block products like Xenarc. Unlike the Ebay scammers Xenarc has a fortune in R&D behind it and is unlikely to blind all the people driving toward you.

Also... Consumer Reports recently reviewed headlamps. The test focused on the later type lamp cartriges but still found that many products just didn't deliver and often were worse than simple OEM type replacements. Since the same claims are used to sell "sealed beam" upgrades, you can likely bet safe that the claims don't hold up any better for those.

Worse... Higher wattage lamps can cause problems for many cars due to the increased amperage drawn. The wiring and switch are built with a safety margin only for a little above the standard lamp draw. If you have any wiring problems at all, this can burn up parts and even set your car on fire.

The sad fact is most people whining about dim headlamps need to fix one or more wiring problems. Headlamps are already one of the largest amp eaters in a car. Any weak wires/connections will make them dim fast. Not even including the fact that lamps simply dim with age. Good ones take longer but still do that.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-29-2006).]

trots

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2006 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotsSend a Private Message to trotsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
First of all, for the umpteenth time at least... NONE of the lamps above are HID systems.

glad you said it.. i didnt want to start any arguments.
x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2006 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

The Ebay system, like nearly all of them that show up there, is nothing but a scam. It is a Halogen based system that is not legal for street use in the U.S. Regardless of what the housings may claim or be marked, the lamps are illegal and violate FMVSS 571.108. ALL lamps exceeding 55W Low beam and 65W High beam are illegal in the headlight format used on Fiero and most other formats for that matter.

One of the only, if not the only, HID systems that directly replaces DOT lamps is Xenarc. This is a true HID system. Sylvania recently won a ruling against NHTSA/USDOT who was trying to block products like Xenarc. Unlike the Ebay scammers Xenarc has a fortune in R&D behind it and is unlikely to blind all the people driving toward you.

Also... Consumer Reports recently reviewed headlamps. The test focused on the later type lamp cartriges but still found that many products just didn't deliver and often were worse than simple OEM type replacements. Since the same claims are used to sell "sealed beam" upgrades, you can likely bet safe that the claims don't hold up any better for those.

Worse... Higher wattage lamps can cause problems for many cars due to the increased amperage drawn. The wiring and switch are built with a safety margin only for a little above the standard lamp draw. If you have any wiring problems at all, this can burn up parts and even set your car on fire.

The sad fact is most people whining about dim headlamps need to fix one or more wiring problems. Headlamps are already one of the largest amp eaters in a car. Any weak wires/connections will make them dim fast. Not even including the fact that lamps simply dim with age. Good ones take longer but still do that.

After reading theogre's statement a few times to properly understand what he's saying, I have to agree he's right to a certain extent. I currently have HID's on my fiero BUT the Bosh housings I'm using where designed for halagen H4 bulbs. To have a full proper HID set-up, someone has to design a proper projector housing that will fit in the fiero to use with these HID kit's you can buy.

Page on how H.I.D.'s work. This page isn't directly aimed on automotive purpose but general knowledge & function of H.I.D. (High Intensity Discharge) This page eplains briefly that a 10W HID is equivelant to a 55W halogen, so I persoanlly can't see the HID's being more wattage then a standard halogen (from reading this page)

http://www.halcyon.net/lights/hid-faq.shtml

[This message has been edited by x-thumpr-x (edited 07-30-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock