3.4L homemade headers by procarnut
Started on: 07-11-2006 03:17 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: pumpkincarriage on 08-17-2006 09:30 PM
procarnut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
If I can get the pics posted you will see what I've done.
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

This is for the 3.4l dohc finatics (like myself) who are considering building their own headers. This is for a 96 and later 3.4l tdc so if you have 95 or older youdont have to build the cones. Any way i was asked to give a update on these once I get done. So here you go.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by procarnut (edited 07-11-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Good job

Just some help w/ the picture

(has to be 640*480 for PIP, and under 100K)

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 07-11-2006).]

procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the pic help. I'm still learning image stuff.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Those look great Bob! I can only imagine the hours spent to get to that point....

Now are you planning on putting that motor in a '67 Mustang?...
Nice hanging out with you and Nicki last night!
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking work. How did you fabricate your collector? Is it heat and hammer?

Arn
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
The Collectors..... Well I went to a exhaust shop and picked up the raw part first. The first thing you have to do is take a large hose clamp and tighten the three end tubes together and weld them in the middle (fill weld). Then just hold the collector up the three pipes and weld a 1/4 bead at the corners. Once you have the corners tacked into place, just use a ball pin hammer to curve the collector between each pipe and then start welding from the corners untill you fill weld into the middle. I was worried how it was going to turn out when I started this but it looked better than I thought it would when i finished it.

I bought the flange plates on ebay, had the 1.5 inch tubes coned out at a exhaust shop and used an anvel to flaten or oval the ends then welded them on. then took a set of headers from a 66 chevy pickup and chopped it up. Once I picked my pieces I had to clamp the ends together and adjust them to match up to the cones on the flange. This was the challenging part making all the tubes line up and fit up to each other. Once I had the collectors welded everything else was cut and weld. the rest of the exhaust system was mandrel bent 3" pipe.

Oh Thanks Blake for giving Nikki a ride in Ambers car. Now she is a little more supportive in my Fiero Quest. I'll try to post more pictures of the finished product as soon as I get a chance.
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post

procarnut

622 posts
Member since Mar 2006
I haven't decided if I would make another set to sell but at lease I know how now.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by procarnut:
I haven't decided if I would make another set to sell but at lease I know how now.

yes, please do. how about for the '91-'92 TDC?

thanks...
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
Id sure love to have a set for mine too. 91-5.

------------------

procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tom,

I wont make a commitment yet, but I might be able to help you out. The nice thing about your's is that they have "D" exhaust ports so making oval cones won't be needed. That was the biggest challenge in doing mine, making a oval port match to a round pipe. I have thought about manufaturing a few different sets for the 3.4L TDC but the equipment is very expensive. However I do have access to some of the equipment but it belongs to someone else. The one thing I really need is a mandrel bender. I went with 1.5 inch tubes because I wanted to create a little torqe at low rpms but the motor is designed to produce power at high rpms. So I worked with what I had. I would probably go with a larger tube for flow, but larger tubes mean longer bends. Just making these to fit in the fiero is a challenge. I'll let you know what I come up with at the next meeting. I didn't know you had a 3.4L untill after you left Monday night.

Thanks,
Bob
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Those look awesome! Good job. Can you post any more information about the components that you used, suppliers etc? Do you have any more pictures? If you do start to manufacture additional headers I would be interested in a set for the 91-95 motor as well.

Thanks
Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 07-12-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here are some more pictures just to give you a idea how much work it took. If I was to make another set both headers would be flanged after the collector that way the owner could run the "y" pipe as they needed, as everyone puts things in different places.

This is the view of the flange plate with cones welded to it.

Raw look on the motor.

Took a little time and patience but it will be worth it.
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post

procarnut

622 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Parts were here and there.

Flanges were on Ebay.
Any local exhaust shop can make the cones and flaten them yourself, only 96+ models.
Mandrel pipe off old set of headers.
Collector purchased at local exhaust shop.
same with flanges and Y pipe junction
the 3" mandrel bent tube was a ebay perchase as well as the Flow master mufler

I'll see if I can find the final assy picture.

I did cut the trunk about 4" to lay the muffler flat and shorten the exhaust run.

procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post

procarnut

622 posts
Member since Mar 2006
I know this is alot of pictures but this is the best way for me to explain. That is to show you.

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the pictures! Each is worth a thousand words they say so you can't have too many!

A + for you.

Nolan
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by procarnut:

Hey Tom,

I wont make a commitment yet, but I might be able to help you out.
I didn't know you had a 3.4L untill after you left Monday night.

Thanks,
Bob

maybe i'll have it on the road for the next movie night, it's not a pretty looking car (needs paint and exhaust work).

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
What is the black paint that you covered the finished pipes with?

Thanks
Nolan
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Its just VHT high temp paint 1200* F. I mainly wanted to protect the welds from rusting. The next thing I know I ended painting the whole thing. Although jet hot would have been better I am hitting the Budgeting wall.

procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2006 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Well guys, I think I might be able to do something about building more headers. I happen to have a extra set of heads "D" ports and a mock block to spec too. A colliegue of mine is setting up a cnc plasma cutter right now so he might be able to make the flanges for us. I still have a little ways to go but it's promising. I would only be able to build a short set and leave it up to you to do the cross pipe. If I can figure out a economical way to obtain sharp 90* mandrel bent pipe the rest will be easy for me. If I can draft the deminsions for the cross over pipe, I might be able to do that. The only concern I would have is clearance as everyone locates their components differently.

Any ideas as far as mandrel bends? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Bump.....

Here it is Mark.
Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post
Please....Please make me a set like that for the 93-94
I need the whole setup with flowmaster!!

------------------
1988 GT 2.8 3Auto
1986 GT 3.4 DOHC 5Speed
1986 GT 4.9 4Auto

PFF
System Bot
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
hey bob,
if you need a test car for an earlier version of the TDC. i be happy to donate
my car. lol...

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Nice cat
nice headers!
Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post
Any chance on getting you to make me a set soon?
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
can't wait to hear a sound file of it
pumpkincarriage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pumpkincarriageSend a Private Message to pumpkincarriageDirect Link to This Post
You got those done for me, right? I'll pick them up Monday

... of next year possibly.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock